ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,137

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#221 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:00 pm

Skin wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:This is silly. You can't have too many ball handlers. If anything Franz is doing too much ball handling. His shooting regression was not good for us or the team. If he can focus less on ball handling and more on other parts of his game, then that will be good. Paolo as a ball handler was way too turnover prone too. Let's not pretend he's a Lebron type passer. Suggs is abysmal with his turnovers too.

Tyus being able to control the flow of the game, limit turnovers, help set them up to be scorers, and spread the floor is much more ideal.

You can definitely have too many ball-handlers. There's only one ball.

Paolo and Franz arent going to completely change the way they play to accommodate for Tyus. They will continue to handle the ball as they did last season, they just need a little help. They are 21-22 and are allowed to make mistakes and grow. This is the team the FO has built, and like it or not they will continue to have the ball in their hands most of the time next season. The turnovers will come down with more spacing and experience.

Monk is not the playmaker that Tyus is, but he's a better scorer. He has played with several other ball-handlers like Lebron, Fox, and Sabonis, and was effective alongside them. He's a great fit for this team.

Funny that you would say that "there's only one ball" as a fault in adding a player who likes to pass the ball, but don't apply it to a guy who likes to shoot the ball.

On top of that saying "this is the team the FO has built" as a reason for why things won't change is ridiculous. Franz and Paolo as ball handlers came to be out of necessity more than design. Fultz is broken. I thought he had a chance, but he's playing with one arm out there. Cole is all chihuahua.... all bark, no bite. AB has zero history of being a ball handler/ball distributor.

Our team make up will continue to change every year as different talent sets are brought in. We are far from a finished design.

Monk isnt some chucker. He has played with stars and understands how to get easier looks for himself, and is a good passer that will find his teammates when open. He knows how to run a pick n roll and is SECOND in the league behind Luka (not counting Morant because he only played 6 games) in assists off of drives even though he only plays 26 MPG . All we need is for Paolo, Franz, Suggs and WCJ to hit their open shots. Paolo shot 36% on catch and shoot 3s, WCJ 37%, and Suggs 41%. Franz ofcourse struggled this season, but was shooting 40% on catch and shoot 3s in his second year. Monk himself shoots 38% off of catch and shoot 3s on decent volume, so he also spreads the floor for his teammates.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#222 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 7:01 pm

Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:Listened to the Monk exit interview...he was careful but mentioned clearly that he wants to start and that all of his teammates support him whatever he decides.

I'd say he's ORL's if we want him...4 years for 95ish, descending would be perfect for our cap issues to come,

Monk is irratic. When he's hot he's amazing, but opposite is true when he's cold. He's also a shoot first PG. That doesn't seem to be the best thing for this team. Especially as a 35% 3pt shooter.

I get that we need a PG to spread the floor and make 3s. But there has to be a balance. We don't want a guy who limits ball movement because he needs his shots. Tyus shot 41% from 3 last year, but he's doesn't have the shoot first mentality. He has to be respected from deep or he can make them pay. He's a more harmonious option. Team chemistry is going to be a main attention factor for us going forward. Everyone loves playing with a guy who passes.

This is gonna be a long fun offseason of debating. Team Tyus! :D

Tyus is incredible at what is, for ORL, a secondary priority...but,
-he managed to score 12ppg on an awful team
-he got up LESS THAN ONE fta per game, despite playing 29mpg with the ball in his hands
-got up just under 4 3pa's per game, with the ball largely in his hands - again, on a terrible team
-he's tiny and will get targeted mercilessly

He's SO efficient but he just doesn't hunt shots...we all had the same complaints about Harris' shooting 40% but not taking enough shots to gain any defensive respect and spread the floor. He's also getting paid a pretty fair amount and will probably get a Fultz-like salary next season...I like him for SAS, where Wemby is THE star but needs a setup guy. ORL's offense is so unconventional that an old school PG is not a great fit.

That's not true about Tyus not seeking his own shot. You might be thinking of Tyus earlier in his career. He's changed as a starter. The Gary Harris comp is a bad one. Gary Harris doesn't make anything happen on the floor when he's not shooting.

Monk only averaged 2.1 3s per game. For someone who's arguing point is that his shooting is his main strength, he's not that much of a volume improvement over Tyus and Tyus is more effecient and consistent his entire career. Monk's 3pt% is erratic year to year... 34% to 28% to 40% to 35% the last 2 years... what exactly are we getting?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#223 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:09 pm

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:Monk is irratic. When he's hot he's amazing, but opposite is true when he's cold. He's also a shoot first PG. That doesn't seem to be the best thing for this team. Especially as a 35% 3pt shooter.

I get that we need a PG to spread the floor and make 3s. But there has to be a balance. We don't want a guy who limits ball movement because he needs his shots. Tyus shot 41% from 3 last year, but he's doesn't have the shoot first mentality. He has to be respected from deep or he can make them pay. He's a more harmonious option. Team chemistry is going to be a main attention factor for us going forward. Everyone loves playing with a guy who passes.

This is gonna be a long fun offseason of debating. Team Tyus! :D

Tyus is incredible at what is, for ORL, a secondary priority...but,
-he managed to score 12ppg on an awful team
-he got up LESS THAN ONE fta per game, despite playing 29mpg with the ball in his hands
-got up just under 4 3pa's per game, with the ball largely in his hands - again, on a terrible team
-he's tiny and will get targeted mercilessly

He's SO efficient but he just doesn't hunt shots...we all had the same complaints about Harris' shooting 40% but not taking enough shots to gain any defensive respect and spread the floor. He's also getting paid a pretty fair amount and will probably get a Fultz-like salary next season...I like him for SAS, where Wemby is THE star but needs a setup guy. ORL's offense is so unconventional that an old school PG is not a great fit.

That's not true about Tyus not seeking his own shot. You might be thinking of Tyus earlier in his career. He's changed as a starter. The Gary Harris comp is a bad one. Gary Harris doesn't make anything happen on the floor when he's not shooting.

Monk only averaged 2.1 3s per game. For someone who's arguing point is that his shooting is his main strength, he's not that much of a volume improvement over Tyus and Tyus is more effecient and consistent his entire career. Monk's 3pt% is erratic year to year... 34% to 28% to 40% to 35% the last 2 years... what exactly are we getting?

You are getting someone that shot 37% the last 4 years. Is that not a big enough sample size for you?
6 3pt attempts per game is a very decent amount considering he only plays 26 MPG
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#224 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 10, 2024 7:09 pm

Terance Mann opinions?

I'm interested. I see potential there.

Bear in mind, he's having to play a very deferential role behind 3 superstars. So the numbers don't scream out. But he's good at pretty much everything. Had a v uncharacteristic slump in shooting early this season, which skewed his numbers, but he's a 36-40% shooter on ok volume typically.

Can pass, can initiate, can defend, can drive, can shoot. Got some dog in him too. No diva.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#225 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 7:21 pm

I don't think Monk is going to cost significantly more than Tyus will tbh.

Tyus was already making 14.5M AAV and just had a career year. Feels like he'll be looking for 17-18M AAV.

Monk could probably be had for 22M AAV. Not a crazy difference.
Skin
RealGM

Post#226 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 7:23 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:You can definitely have too many ball-handlers. There's only one ball.

Paolo and Franz arent going to completely change the way they play to accommodate for Tyus. They will continue to handle the ball as they did last season, they just need a little help. They are 21-22 and are allowed to make mistakes and grow. This is the team the FO has built, and like it or not they will continue to have the ball in their hands most of the time next season. The turnovers will come down with more spacing and experience.

Monk is not the playmaker that Tyus is, but he's a better scorer. He has played with several other ball-handlers like Lebron, Fox, and Sabonis, and was effective alongside them. He's a great fit for this team.

Funny that you would say that "there's only one ball" as a fault in adding a player who likes to pass the ball, but don't apply it to a guy who likes to shoot the ball.

On top of that saying "this is the team the FO has built" as a reason for why things won't change is ridiculous. Franz and Paolo as ball handlers came to be out of necessity more than design. Fultz is broken. I thought he had a chance, but he's playing with one arm out there. Cole is all chihuahua.... all bark, no bite. AB has zero history of being a ball handler/ball distributor.

Our team make up will continue to change every year as different talent sets are brought in. We are far from a finished design.

Monk isnt some chucker. He has played with stars and understands how to get easier looks for himself, and is a good passer that will find his teammates when open. He knows how to run a pick n roll and is SECOND in the league behind Luka (not counting Morant because he only played 6 games) in assists off of drives even though he only plays 26 MPG . All we need is for Paolo, Franz, Suggs and WCJ to hit their open shots. Paolo shot 36% on catch and shoot 3s, WCJ 37%, and Suggs 41%. Franz ofcourse struggled this season, but was shooting 40% on catch and shoot 3s in his second year. Monk himself shoots 38% off of catch and shoot 3s on decent volume, so he also spreads the floor for his teammates.

He is an almost borderline chucker if his shooting efficiency stays the same. It's not hard to find a guy willing to shoot a lot of 3s and be called good if he makes them only at a 35% clip.

"He knows how to run a PnR"... as if Tyus is not better at it? You can't win that point.

I don't know if that's a good stat for Monk to have as far as drive and kick assists. Is he really that one dimensional as a passer? It's not like his assist numbers are high to begin with. Paolo and Franz already spend a lot of attempts driving to the basket. Will Monk's driving game clash?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#227 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:24 pm

Monk seems like such a great fit to me, I only hope the Spurs dont outbid us.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#228 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 pm

Skin wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:Funny that you would say that "there's only one ball" as a fault in adding a player who likes to pass the ball, but don't apply it to a guy who likes to shoot the ball.

He is an almost borderline chucker if his shooting efficiency stays the same. It's not hard to find a guy willing to shoot a lot of 3s and be called good if he makes them only at a 35% clip.

"He knows how to run a PnR"... as if Tyus is not better at it? You can't win that point.

I don't know if that's a good stat for Monk to have as far as drive and kick assists. Is he really that one dimensional as a passer? It's not like his assist numbers are high to begin with. Paolo and Franz already spend a lot of attempts driving to the basket. Will Monk's driving game clash?

So now you're switching from he doesnt shoot enough 3s to shooting too many? :lol: Monk shot 37% from three the past 4 seasons. That is a solid 3pt% and shooting volume is very good.

I didnt mean that Tyus doesnt know how to run a pick n roll, or isnt better, but you already know that...

We need a guard that will drive and kick and run the pick roll. You were just complaining about Paolo and Franz handling the ball too much, dont you agree that they need some help? Monk will help get them easier shots. What we dont need though is someone that will need to dominate the ball too much (Tyus).
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,185

Post#229 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm

Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.

I like Tyus - if we traded for him at the deadline we are playing Boston tomorrow night at home with the series tied at 1-1.

But ultimately I don’t see him as a long term starter, just a backup or a possible bridge guy. I think with Paolo/Franz/Suggs needing to get paid soon, this could be our last summer to make a “splash”.

I also don’t think playmaking is the primary skill set we need out of our PG - Simons/Monk are “adequate” playmakers and that’s really all we need. I also feel like both guys still have another level they can reach - not sure we can say the same about Tyus
Skin
RealGM

Post#230 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 8:56 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Monk isnt some chucker. He has played with stars and understands how to get easier looks for himself, and is a good passer that will find his teammates when open. He knows how to run a pick n roll and is SECOND in the league behind Luka (not counting Morant because he only played 6 games) in assists off of drives even though he only plays 26 MPG . All we need is for Paolo, Franz, Suggs and WCJ to hit their open shots. Paolo shot 36% on catch and shoot 3s, WCJ 37%, and Suggs 41%. Franz ofcourse struggled this season, but was shooting 40% on catch and shoot 3s in his second year. Monk himself shoots 38% off of catch and shoot 3s on decent volume, so he also spreads the floor for his teammates.

So now you're switching from he doesnt shoot enough 3s to shooting too many? :lol: Monk shot 37% from three the past 4 seasons. That is a solid 3pt% and shooting volume is very good.

I didnt mean that Tyus doesnt know how to run a pick n roll, or isnt better, but you already know that...

We need a guard that will drive and kick and run the pick roll. You were just complaining about Paolo and Franz handling the ball too much, dont you agree that they need some help? Monk will help get them easier shots. What we dont need though is someone that will need to dominate the ball too much (Tyus).

I didn't say Monk doesn't shoot enough 3s, I said he doesn't really make enough. :lol:

If we got him, I'd be optimistic about getting him. He just wouldn't be my first choice.

Tyus would seem to be a better fit, cheaper, and has a wider range of skills/talents to offer. I don't see why you can't see him being able to benefit Paolo and Franz. Tyrus will get them get easier shots. He's a passer. He doesn't dominate the ball.. he's a passer.

We're not seeing eye to eye regarding the semantics around the term "ball dominant". You claim Tyrus holds on the ball too much. I claim Monk shoots too much. We both disagree that it's a negative factor, so let's see...

If you think Tyrus is dribble happy (ball dominant) and won't share the ball enough, but admit he's a better passer/playmaker than Monk, then that doesn't make sense to me.

I say, that Monk will eat into the amount of shots that Franz and Paolo get, so if not, who's cut is he eating into? Will Suggs get less opportunities? You can't put a volume shooter into a team and expect everyone to get the same amount of shots that they used to get.
Skin
RealGM

Post#231 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.

I like Tyus - if we traded for him at the deadline we are playing Boston tomorrow night at home with the series tied at 1-1.

But ultimately I don’t see him as a long term starter, just a backup or a possible bridge guy. I think with Paolo/Franz/Suggs needing to get paid soon, this could be our last summer to make a “splash”.

I also don’t think playmaking is the primary skill set we need out of our PG - Simons/Monk are “adequate” playmakers and that’s really all we need. I also feel like both guys still have another level they can reach - not sure we can say the same about Tyus

Playmaking is something we badly need, but isn't recognized. The amount of turnovers that we make, is sloppy and undisciplined. We're young, but that can't be an excuse. Playoffs is about playing smarter, and we just didn't get enough of that out of our veterans. When every possession matters, having a high IQ PG like Tyrus is huge.

Can Franz and Paolo provide playmaking? Yes, they can... but is it the best thing for them? Franz was definitely trying to do too much. Paolo and Suggs were incredibly irresponsible with losing the ball. Get an intelligent player like Tyrus here and I think our team takes the next step. Monk and Simmons are what they are, just as Tyrus is what he is. Though you can make a point that Tyrus made the biggest step in improving his game this seaosn compared to those 2.

With everything though... Tyrus is not the missing piece. It also matters what else we do. It also matters that Black makes improvements too. He was a premium draft pick. He should grow into a starter or else be considered a bust.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,284

Post#232 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 10, 2024 9:13 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Terance Mann opinions?

Bear in mind, he's having to play a very deferential role behind 3 superstars. So the numbers don't scream out. But he's good at pretty much everything. Had a v uncharacteristic slump in shooting early this season, which skewed his numbers, but he's a 36-40% shooter on ok volume typically.

Can pass, can initiate, can defend, can drive, can shoot. Got some dog in him too. No diva.

I like how you are thinking outside the box. Mann would be a great target.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#233 » by zaymon » Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Skin wrote:I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Playmaking is something we badly need, but isn't recognized. The amount of turnovers that we make, is sloppy and undisciplined. We're young, but that can't be an excuse. Playoffs is about playing smarter, and we just didn't get enough of that out of our veterans. When every possession matters, having a high IQ PG like Tyrus is huge.

Can Franz and Paolo provide playmaking? Yes, they can... but is it the best thing for them? Franz was definitely trying to do too much. Paolo and Suggs were incredibly irresponsible with losing the ball. Get an intelligent player like Tyrus here and I think our team takes the next step. Monk and Simmons are what they are, just as Tyrus is what he is. Though you can make a point that Tyrus made the biggest step in improving his game this seaosn compared to those 2.

With everything though... Tyrus is not the missing piece. It also matters what else we do. It also matters that Black makes improvements too. He was a premium draft pick. He should grow into a starter or else be considered a bust.

Maybe Tyus is not the missing piece but at least i trust him to make good decision more often than not. I dont trust Simons with the ball at all. He is in the Suggs tier of basketball minds.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM

Post#234 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 10:54 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Maybe Tyus is not the missing piece but at least i trust him to make good decision more often than not. I dont trust Simons with the ball at all. He is in the Suggs tier of basketball minds.

Agreed. Simmons isn't a FA or a PG so not sure why his name is brought up so often
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#235 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 11:12 pm

Skin wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:He is an almost borderline chucker if his shooting efficiency stays the same. It's not hard to find a guy willing to shoot a lot of 3s and be called good if he makes them only at a 35% clip.

I didn't say Monk doesn't shoot enough 3s, I said he doesn't really make enough. :lol:

If we got him, I'd be optimistic about getting him. He just wouldn't be my first choice.

Tyus would seem to be a better fit, cheaper, and has a wider range of skills/talents to offer. I don't see why you can't see him being able to benefit Paolo and Franz. Tyrus will get them get easier shots. He's a passer. He doesn't dominate the ball.. he's a passer.

We're not seeing eye to eye regarding the semantics around the term "ball dominant". You claim Tyrus holds on the ball too much. I claim Monk shoots too much. We both disagree that it's a negative factor, so let's see...

If you think Tyrus is dribble happy (ball dominant) and won't share the ball enough, but admit he's a better passer/playmaker than Monk, then that doesn't make sense to me.

I say, that Monk will eat into the amount of shots that Franz and Paolo get, so if not, who's cut is he eating into? Will Suggs get less opportunities? You can't put a volume shooter into a team and expect everyone to get the same amount of shots that they used to get.

I dont agree at all with Tyus having a wider range of skills, as i think you're just underrating Monk's playmaking skills and effectiveness without the ball. Monk is a much better scorer, and we still need a guard that can create for himself because we dont have one. Suggs isnt doing that yet, Cole is extremely inconsistent. You need a third scorer when Paolo and Franz are so young, especially in the play offs. Monk is currently the 3rd best scorer on a 46 win team.

What doesnt make sense about Paolo and Franz wanting the ball in their hands and initiating the offense? Even when Fultz was healthy last season, both Paolo and Franz had a higher usage than him. That is with rookie Paolo and second year Franz who were even more turnover prone than they are now and will be next season. That is clearly what the FO wants, whether you like that or not.

Monk can get his shots within the flow of the offense and wont hesitate to take open threes. He'll get easy baskets and at the same time is able to put the ball on the floor and either get a bucket or generate easier looks for his teammates.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,049

Post#236 » by fendilim » Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 am

Tyus is putting up good numbers for a bad team. He definitely wont cost a lot because of it.

We need Monk more than Tyus though. If there was any more telling stat than this playoffs, this team needs another dynamic scorer. Paolo alone won’t cut it. Monk also provides at least some playmaking.

We can also have Monk start off the bench then make him finish games at the 2. We need an offensive driver for the second unit. Especially with Ingles likely gone. Cole is too erratic and not really a court general.

Suggs/Monk/Franz/Paolo/WCJ.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#237 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 12:12 am

MagicMatic wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:Terance Mann opinions?

I like how you are thinking outside the box. Mann would be a great target.

He was pretty integral to LAC, even running point (ORL style?)…but then Harden showed up - if he’s available, I’d like it. Nothing says we can’t get two solid guards…you really need 3 starter level guys to eat the bulk of the minutes…AB and Jett can get a bit, but probably simmer a bit more and/or slide to 3 sometimes. Looks like he has one more year…would LAC do a straight up for Cole, AB, Jett?
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#238 » by fateis007 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:59 am

If the option is Monk or Tyus, you go Monk 100 out of 100 times. Not only is he playing in the tougher conference, on a solid team.

Monk isn't just more a little more explosive, he is INSANELY more explosive and and athletic. When a defense clamps down, he can still get his.

I would trust him taking it to another level then I am Tyus.

Would be awesome to get them both.
jibba jones
Junior
And1: 116

Post#239 » by jibba jones » Sat May 11, 2024 1:26 am

Magic can afford both.
Subtract Fultz and Harris
bela lugosi is dead
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#240 » by Knightro » Sat May 11, 2024 1:47 am

Can some of y'all do me a favor and spell "Simons" correctly? :lol:

I keep seeing it spelled "Simmons" which makes me do a double take and think you're talking about Ben Simmons.

Return to Orlando Magic