ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#201 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2024 10:44 am

jezzerinho wrote:Bogi is a great player on a great contract. Atl would be crazy to let him go, though. Don't see it being doable.

Did you watch his exit interview? It was brutal in its anti-Hawks tone. I am not sure Atlanta can keep him after that.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#202 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 10:46 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=ouy0CnGcwn1Ek4D1HV8uOA&s=19

Very efficient, but not very impactful…ppg among this group of players would leave him on page 3. Sort of like the convos regarding Caruso, the 40% 3pt shooter - who hit his career high 12 ppg. Tyus is a guy I’d love to have, but in a reserve role for reserve pay scale…which is unlikely.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#203 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 am

drsd wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:Bogi is a great player on a great contract. Atl would be crazy to let him go, though. Don't see it being doable.

Did you watch his exit interview? It was brutal in its anti-Hawks tone. I am not sure Atlanta can keep him after that.

I'm the one that posted it! I think he was absolutely correct in what he said. He was maybe naive or over courageous in doing it publicly, but that's a v talented Atlanta roster that is failing miserably. If I was the FO, I'd be building around guys like him.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#204 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 11:17 am

drsd wrote:

Solid player on a great deal…3 more years around 16.5 per (descending)…he’d be a fantastic 3rd guard (basically, in Cole’s space- maybe next to AB, if he shows anything)…if we could sign Monk outright, then trade a future frp & Cole for Bogi :nod:

We’d still have cap space and our frp

This backcourt…
Monk, Black, Devin Carter (#18)…or draft a big and sign a vet like Kris Dunn for the MCW role
Suggs, Bogi, Jett

I just don’t think ATL has any use for Cole…unless they just want Bogi gone.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#205 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Talentwise + Cost = Murray for me.... but ... it will cost us some of what we got

Talentwise + Cost + Circumstance = Monk ....i think we could see him take a step forward and grow with us as well.... while as a free agent... we can maintain black and howard that would most likely have been added in a trade... annnnd our picks. Picks are an opportunity to get cheap talent and when utilized appropriately they are very valuable.

and then third.... Hartenstein.

Monk + Hartenstein would be a homerun summer for me. we help our offense immensely and still maintain defensive strengths

So you go for Monk and if it s not working by Feb 2025, you trade him + 2frp for Murray which lead to same result as your initial point but saved you a LOT of assets

See and that's the flexibility I would think they are trying to maintain. I know some aren't as high on Black or Howard as much now because of their performance ... Well lack there of .... This season. But for me ... I see it as being by design and we will see these guys playing more in the future as they continue to level up. And unless it's for something undeniable ... I don't see them getting added into a trade.

Plus ... Monk coming here with a defined opportunity and role might take his game to a different level. But if he gives us what we saw in Sacramento.... I'm happy already because he give us what we need at the guard position. And if he can be one more of an average to slightly above average defender in our lineups.... MONEY!

I think AB and Jett need to play in order for people to properly form an opinion on either one. I can say with confidence that AB impressed me in spurts while Fultz was really disappointing. I’m comfortable with AB taking Kelles minutes. I’m having a harder time seeing where Jett fits in but I guess it depends on what we do with Jingling Joe. i know both will put the work in so we’ll see what happens.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#206 » by yoyojw17 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:28 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
So you go for Monk and if it s not working by Feb 2025, you trade him + 2frp for Murray which lead to same result as your initial point but saved you a LOT of assets

See and that's the flexibility I would think they are trying to maintain. I know some aren't as high on Black or Howard as much now because of their performance ... Well lack there of .... This season. But for me ... I see it as being by design and we will see these guys playing more in the future as they continue to level up. And unless it's for something undeniable ... I don't see them getting added into a trade.

Plus ... Monk coming here with a defined opportunity and role might take his game to a different level. But if he gives us what we saw in Sacramento.... I'm happy already because he give us what we need at the guard position. And if he can be one more of an average to slightly above average defender in our lineups.... MONEY!

I think AB and Jett need to play in order for people to properly form an opinion on either one. I can say with confidence that AB impressed me in spurts while Fultz was really disappointing. I’m comfortable with AB taking Kelles minutes. I’m having a harder time seeing where Jett fits in but I guess it depends on what we do with Jingling Joe. i know both will put the work in so we’ll see what happens.

AB ... I'm excited to see get more minutes. I think they will give him a bigger role in the office... And seems as though his metrics on the defensive end was stellar for a rookie. And when he shot.... He made a bit of them.... And that says a lot because people were worried about his shooting in the draft.... Not sure if his poor shooting in college was related to injury or not.... Though wonky it was going in.

And Howard.... I have hopes for him to .... He looks like a gunner... But I think there might be more because when he did come in with the third string many instances he was the primary ball handler
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#207 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 12:41 pm

We saw Jett play 0 meaningful minutes this season. We don't know if he can hold his own or get run off the court. I remember Bamba's first few meaningful minutes, Clifford yanked him after 5 minutes because he was getting run off the court.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#208 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:45 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:AB ... I'm excited to see get more minutes. I think they will give him a bigger role in the office... And seems as though his metrics on the defensive end was stellar for a rookie.

That's an interesting idea...maybe AB is better suited for an office job :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist...I'm hoping AB gets Markelle's backup minutes too. Depending on our offseason acquisitions (PG)...I don't see that as a "block" to AB, it might actually free up Mosely to play him at multiple positions, while keeping an eye on his skill development and ultimate position. I think he's ultimately a very good player, just maybe not a lead PG. For example, Jingles has the best PG skills on the roster-he's just stuck in the body of a grandpa like me...and I certainly don't see AB coming out of the summer as ORL's starting PG. I can't agree with "stellar" if he collected DNP's while our team is universally known to be lacking a PG...he wasn't even really a backup PG (yet) and I think that's, hopefully, the next step.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Post#209 » by Nyce_1 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:42 pm

Knightro wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?

They could, sure.

Simons has just 2 years left on his deal at 26.7 AAV. He presumably wouldn't be willing to take a reduction from his roughly 18% of the cap he's at now on his next contract.

With the cap rising by 10% a year, you're looking at something like 4/138 to extend Simons - roughly 34.5 AAV.

Murray is signed for the next 4 years at 28.5M AAV.

Monk is likely signing a 3-4 year deal in the 22-23M AAV range.

Breaking it down over the next 4 seasons...

Monk 22.5 AAV
Murray: 28.5M AAV
Simons 30.6 AAV (two years of 26.7M AAV + 2 years of 34.5M AAV)

Is Simons worth 8M more per season than Monk on average? Once Franz and Suggs and Paolo's extensions are all kicked in, is Simons worth 12M more per season? Is he worth more than Murray at all?

Not sure about either of those.

I agree with all of your points if things stay the same.

In 2 yrs, if it's not working out, we can also pivot away from Simons and use his salary for an upgrade, instead of waiting 4 yrs with 30yr old Monk. However, there is a scenario where Simons could evolve and be a better player than what he's shown and warrant that raise; then it's a different discussion, based on what you extend Jalen & Franz for.

IMO, Simons & Monk are similar type players, and I'll be thrilled to have either. Simons will cost more assets, but he's younger; maybe still with room to evolve (?) and offers some flexibility in 2 years (good & bad). Whereas Monk is who he is, will be cheaper, and is more proven in whatever role we give him.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#210 » by Nyce_1 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Signing Tyus Jones with the idea that he's a starter would be a mistake. As is he is towards the bottom of the league as a starter, and we cant even maximize his elite skillset because we have 2 other ball-handlers in the starting line up.

This is also my feelings. He looks great but what happens in a new system with more important ball handlers initiating the offense? The ratio won't be as sexy.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#211 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 3:37 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?

They could, sure.

Simons has just 2 years left on his deal at 26.7 AAV. He presumably wouldn't be willing to take a reduction from his roughly 18% of the cap he's at now on his next contract.

With the cap rising by 10% a year, you're looking at something like 4/138 to extend Simons - roughly 34.5 AAV.

Monk 22.5 AAV

Is Simons worth 8M more per season than Monk on average? Once Franz and Suggs and Paolo's extensions are all kicked in, is Simons worth 12M more per season? Is he worth more than Murray at all?

In 2 yrs, if it's not working out, we can also pivot away from Simons and use his salary for an upgrade, instead of waiting 4 yrs with 30yr old Monk. However, there is a scenario where Simons could evolve and be a better player than what he's shown and warrant that raise; then it's a different discussion, based on what you extend Jalen & Franz for.

IMO, Simons & Monk are similar type players, and I'll be thrilled to have either. Simons will cost more assets, but he's younger; maybe still with room to evolve (?) and offers some flexibility in 2 years (good & bad). Whereas Monk is who he is, will be cheaper, and is more proven in whatever role we give him.
I like watching Simons play more than Monk because he has a smoothness to his game.

Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#212 » by Nyce_1 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:42 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
They could, sure.

Monk 22.5 AAV

I like watching Simons play more than Monk because he has a smoothness to his game.

Agree. I really enjoy his methodical movements. Also love knowing that he was mentored by CJ & Dame. That knowledge is invaluable.

If the asking price is right, he's my favorite target.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#213 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Monk, Russell, or Klay
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#214 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:27 pm

Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.

Sets us back defensively without enough of a boost offensively. I like both of those guys, but they should be considerations after we add a significant starter. Tyus is good but he's been a backup his whole career (and a really good one)...I'd get behind him if that's as high as we reach but the right guy moves us a lot farther forward...this would just be an expensive touch-up.

That line up above is a partial solution. I would want us to trade for a defensive center AND draft another young defensive Center, Yves Missi/Kel'el Ware/Ulrich Chomche. Getting better defensively in the post is probably our biggest need of all.

The other reason I like Tyus is that he doesn't completely get in the way of AB blossoming down the line.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#215 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:30 pm

Listened to the Monk exit interview...he was careful but mentioned clearly that he wants to start and that all of his teammates support him whatever he decides.

I'd say he's ORL's if we want him...4 years for 95ish, descending would be perfect for our cap issues to come

SAC has no power, not even ability to do SnT...I'd say it's us or SAS and I just don't see SAS (with Wemby) going with a combo guard over a real PG...I could see them signing Tre Jones' big brother and Pop continuing to be agonizingly patient while building his team.

I would think FO can make inquiries now about trade availability of Murray, Simons, etc (if they want). But, if there isn't a great trade to be had...I'm hitting up Monk on the first minute of FA.
Skin
RealGM

Post#216 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:32 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Signing Tyus Jones with the idea that he's a starter would be a mistake. As is he is towards the bottom of the league as a starter, and we cant even maximize his elite skillset because we have 2 other ball-handlers in the starting line up.

This is also my feelings. He looks great but what happens in a new system with more important ball handlers initiating the offense? The ratio won't be as sexy.

This is silly. You can't have too many ball handlers. If anything Franz is doing too much ball handling. His shooting regression was not good for us or the team. If he can focus less on ball handling and more on other parts of his game, then that will be good. Paolo as a ball handler was way too turnover prone too. Let's not pretend he's a Lebron type passer. Suggs is abysmal with his turnovers too.

Tyus being able to control the flow of the game, limit turnovers, help set them up to be scorers, and spread the floor is much more ideal.
Skin
RealGM

Post#217 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 pm

Skybox wrote:Listened to the Monk exit interview...he was careful but mentioned clearly that he wants to start and that all of his teammates support him whatever he decides.

I'd say he's ORL's if we want him...4 years for 95ish, descending would be perfect for our cap issues to come,

Monk is irratic. When he's hot he's amazing, but opposite is true when he's cold. He's also a shoot first PG. That doesn't seem to be the best thing for this team. Especially as a 35% 3pt shooter.

I get that we need a PG to spread the floor and make 3s. But there has to be a balance. We don't want a guy who limits ball movement because he needs his shots. Tyus shot 41% from 3 last year, but he's doesn't have the shoot first mentality. He has to be respected from deep or he can make them pay. He's a more harmonious option. Team chemistry is going to be a main attention factor for us going forward. Everyone loves playing with a guy who passes.

This is gonna be a long fun offseason of debating. Team Tyus! :D
Skybox
RealGM

Post#218 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 6:03 pm

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:Listened to the Monk exit interview...he was careful but mentioned clearly that he wants to start and that all of his teammates support him whatever he decides.

I'd say he's ORL's if we want him...4 years for 95ish, descending would be perfect for our cap issues to come,

Monk is irratic. When he's hot he's amazing, but opposite is true when he's cold. He's also a shoot first PG. That doesn't seem to be the best thing for this team. Especially as a 35% 3pt shooter.

I get that we need a PG to spread the floor and make 3s. But there has to be a balance. We don't want a guy who limits ball movement because he needs his shots. Tyus shot 41% from 3 last year, but he's doesn't have the shoot first mentality. He has to be respected from deep or he can make them pay. He's a more harmonious option. Team chemistry is going to be a main attention factor for us going forward. Everyone loves playing with a guy who passes.

This is gonna be a long fun offseason of debating. Team Tyus! :D

Tyus is incredible at what is, for ORL, a secondary priority...but,
-he managed to score 12ppg on an awful team
-he got up LESS THAN ONE fta per game, despite playing 29mpg with the ball in his hands
-got up just under 4 3pa's per game, with the ball largely in his hands - again, on a terrible team
-he's tiny and will get targeted mercilessly

He's SO efficient but he just doesn't hunt shots...we all had the same complaints about Harris' shooting 40% but not taking enough shots to gain any defensive respect and spread the floor. He's also getting paid a pretty fair amount and will probably get a Fultz-like salary next season...I like him for SAS, where Wemby is THE star but needs a setup guy. ORL's offense is so unconventional that an old school PG is not a great fit.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,137

Post#219 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 6:08 pm

Skin wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:

This is silly. You can't have too many ball handlers. If anything Franz is doing too much ball handling. His shooting regression was not good for us or the team. If he can focus less on ball handling and more on other parts of his game, then that will be good. Paolo as a ball handler was way too turnover prone too. Let's not pretend he's a Lebron type passer. Suggs is abysmal with his turnovers too.

Tyus being able to control the flow of the game, limit turnovers, help set them up to be scorers, and spread the floor is much more ideal.

You can definitely have too many ball-handlers. There's only one ball.

Paolo and Franz arent going to completely change the way they play to accommodate for Tyus. They will continue to handle the ball as they did last season, they just need a little help. They are 21-22 and are allowed to make mistakes and grow. This is the team the FO has built, and like it or not they will continue to have the ball in their hands most of the time next season. The turnovers will come down with more spacing and experience.

Monk is not the playmaker that Tyus is, but he's a better scorer. He has played with several other ball-handlers like Lebron, Fox, and Sabonis, and was effective alongside them. He's a great fit for this team.
Skin
RealGM

Post#220 » by Skin » Fri May 10, 2024 6:42 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Skin wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:

You can definitely have too many ball-handlers. There's only one ball.

Paolo and Franz arent going to completely change the way they play to accommodate for Tyus. They will continue to handle the ball as they did last season, they just need a little help. They are 21-22 and are allowed to make mistakes and grow. This is the team the FO has built, and like it or not they will continue to have the ball in their hands most of the time next season. The turnovers will come down with more spacing and experience.

Monk is not the playmaker that Tyus is, but he's a better scorer. He has played with several other ball-handlers like Lebron, Fox, and Sabonis, and was effective alongside them. He's a great fit for this team.

Funny that you would say that "there's only one ball" as a fault in adding a player who likes to pass the ball, but don't apply it to a guy who likes to shoot the ball.

On top of that saying "this is the team the FO has built" as a reason for why things won't change is ridiculous. Franz and Paolo as ball handlers came to be out of necessity more than design. Fultz is broken. I thought he had a chance, but he's playing with one arm out there. Cole is all chihuahua.... all bark, no bite. AB has zero history of being a ball handler/ball distributor.

Our team make up will continue to change every year as different talent sets are brought in. We are far from a finished design.

Return to Orlando Magic