ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,593

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#181 » by eyriq » Thu May 9, 2024 8:49 pm

Of almost any single player out there I think Tyus could have the most outsized impact on our offense. That 7:1 assist to turnover ratio...
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,301

Post#182 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 9, 2024 11:41 pm

I’ll make a random prediction based on absolutely nothing.

Tyus Jones will be on the Magic next season at some point.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#183 » by purpleswordfish » Thu May 9, 2024 11:51 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:So, I voted for more than one of them because there are a lot of great options that would improve the team. I know it's not part of the poll, but I think the Magic should offer Maxey the max in RFA. Just to see if the Sixers will match. I think they will. But still, they should see if they can get a player like him to grow with the team on a similar timeline.

My next target would by Trae Young or Murray from ATL. They seem motivated to move one or both of them and the Magic might be able to trade future assets (picks) to acquire them and not blow up the rest of the team. They need a shooter at the PG position. I feel like that's the one missing piece to make this roster a top-4 seed in the East.

I’d love Trae but I don’t see how we make that work. The big appeal is we have a team that can hide him defensively. However we’d have to trade our defense to get him. No way the Hawks even have the conversation if Suggs ain’t on the menu. I’d need to see some realistic trade senerios.

Go watch Bogdanovic's exit interview for why you should be very careful about going after Trae. Bad juju.

Can you link to some information on this or the video? I'm searching and finding nothing. It sounds interesting.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,145

Post#184 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 11:55 pm

Signing Tyus Jones with the idea that he's a starter would be a mistake. As is he is towards the bottom of the league as a starter, and we cant even maximize his elite skillset because we have 2 other ball-handlers in the starting line up.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#185 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 11:55 pm

1.PG
2.Murray
3.Monk

One of these guys and Im happy.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#186 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am

Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.

Sets us back defensively without enough of a boost offensively. I like both of those guys, but they should be considerations after we add a significant starter. Tyus is good but he's been a backup his whole career (and a really good one)...I'd get behind him if that's as high as we reach but the right guy moves us a lot farther forward...this would just be an expensive touch-up.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#187 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:11 am

Residual-Heat wrote:Signing Tyus Jones with the idea that he's a starter would be a mistake. As is he is towards the bottom of the league as a starter, and we cant even maximize his elite skillset because we have 2 other ball-handlers in the starting line up.

Exactly...his playmaking and efficiency are elite but scoring is a bigger need. Playmaking is a lesser need and, ideally, would come as a fringe benefit from a guard who's primarily a shooter/scorer. Monk probably isn't much more expensive than Tyus and would provide so much more. If Tyus was some kind of defensive stopper, it'd be one thing.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,876

Post#188 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 am

Tyus is just a backup PG to me. I am not really jazzed to pay him more than Cole.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#189 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 am

purpleswordfish wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:I’d love Trae but I don’t see how we make that work. The big appeal is we have a team that can hide him defensively. However we’d have to trade our defense to get him. No way the Hawks even have the conversation if Suggs ain’t on the menu. I’d need to see some realistic trade senerios.

Go watch Bogdanovic's exit interview for why you should be very careful about going after Trae. Bad juju.

Can you link to some information on this or the video? I'm searching and finding nothing. It sounds interesting.

I clearly remember when Trae got the previous Coach ousted and it was pretty clear that much of the team were siding with the coach. That's alarming...when your star isn't exactly winning over his mates. I'm surprised Dejounte hasn't beaten him up yet.

BTW, what does that mean for Bogdanovich? He's a heckuva player.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#190 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 1:30 am

Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Signing Tyus Jones with the idea that he's a starter would be a mistake. As is he is towards the bottom of the league as a starter, and we cant even maximize his elite skillset because we have 2 other ball-handlers in the starting line up.

Exactly...his playmaking and efficiency are elite but scoring is a bigger need. Playmaking is a lesser need and, ideally, would come as a fringe benefit from a guard who's primarily a shooter/scorer. Monk probably isn't much more expensive than Tyus and would provide so much more. If Tyus was some kind of defensive stopper, it'd be one thing.

I dont think Tyus gets more than 15 mill, while I think Monk will get paid over 20 mill, but yeah otherwise I agree.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 2:22 am

Read on Twitter
?t=ouy0CnGcwn1Ek4D1HV8uOA&s=19
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#192 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2024 2:34 am

Knightro wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?

They could, sure.

Simons has just 2 years left on his deal at 26.7 AAV. He presumably wouldn't be willing to take a reduction from his roughly 18% of the cap he's at now on his next contract.

With the cap rising by 10% a year, you're looking at something like 4/138 to extend Simons - roughly 34.5 AAV.

Murray is signed for the next 4 years at 28.5M AAV.

Monk is likely signing a 3-4 year deal in the 22-23M AAV range.

Breaking it down over the next 4 seasons...

Monk 22.5 AAV
Murray: 28.5M AAV
Simons 30.6 AAV (two years of 26.7M AAV + 2 years of 34.5M AAV)

Is Simons worth 8M more per season than Monk on average? Once Franz and Suggs and Paolo's extensions are all kicked in, is Simons worth 12M more per season? Is he worth more than Murray at all?

Not sure about either of those.

Excellent analysis. And this is exact what Anthony Parker is spending his time working out. His job this summer could not be more important for the Magic's medium term future: on this one question. Parker essentially stated that he has a free check from Weltman to pull the trigger on the deal that makes sense. From a fans' perspective this is going to be a fun ride!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,120

Post#193 » by SOUL » Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 am

Tyus Jones is a supplemental player. If you think we should continue to have Paolo/Franz/Suggs as our top three options, he will help cut down turnovers and make open shots and make some plays, but he will also be targeted relentlessly on D and isn't some force on offense either. Not a volume shooter.

If you think we need to shake up the offense more and add to it, he is not the answer, but helps in some areas.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,876

Post#194 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 2:40 am

I'm also weary about bringing in guys who did well on the worst team in the league.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#195 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 am

Thompson is the most likely deal to happen. I think Shams knows something when he says the Magic and Thompson have mutual interest.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 am

Tyus comps well to Jose Calderon. He intrigues me.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 3:45 am

Current Klay is pretty much a prime Eric Gordon.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,545

Post#198 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 10, 2024 7:20 am

Skybox wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:

I clearly remember when Trae got the previous Coach ousted and it was pretty clear that much of the team were siding with the coach. That's alarming...when your star isn't exactly winning over his mates. I'm surprised Dejounte hasn't beaten him up yet.

Not much reading between the lines needed. Players chasing individual stats and not interested in doing the ittle things needed to win. If I'm Altanta, Bogi is one of the only definite names on the teamsheet next year.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#199 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 am

jezzerinho wrote:
Skybox wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:

Not much reading between the lines needed. Players chasing individual stats and not interested in doing the ittle things needed to win. If I'm Altanta, Bogi is one of the only definite names on the teamsheet next year.

"I'm happy I improved my defense this year." Indeed!
Bogdanovic would be the guy I would hope for after Simons in the "realistic" category.

"I am ready to be a veteran now. And be a young-guy when that is needed".

EDIT: listening this in entirety, it sounds like the dysfunction in Atlanta is the same as the Magic had during the Buddy Ball years.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,545

Post#200 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 10, 2024 8:39 am

Bogi is a great player on a great contract. Atl would be crazy to let him go, though. Don't see it being doable.

Return to Orlando Magic