ImageImageImageImage

The Everything Paolo Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,615

Re: The Everything Paolo Thread 

Post#21 » by eyriq » Sat May 18, 2024 11:05 pm

Bensational wrote:A couple of interesting bits from that Washington Post article:

Miller said Banchero’s comprehensive offseason regimen is focused on his conditioning, catch-and-shoot efficiency and explosive moves to earn free throws. The hope is that Banchero can eventually become the first Magic player to average 30 points per game since Tracy McGrady in 2002-03.

Miller said the Magic should be careful not to “overreact too much” this summer, but he agreed that acquiring “shooting and another playmaker” should be an organizational focus because Banchero “had a lot of heavy lifting this year.”

Interesting. Paolo’s camp is pushing for acquiring more playmaking and they have an intention of him becoming a 30ppg scorer.

I wonder if they’ve got guys in mind, and if they have ideas on who’s best suited to a 2-man game with Paolo?

I like that they’re planting flags for Paolo’s future already, and that they’re aiming for upper echelon.

I liked that, too. I read don't "overreact too much" as a vote of confidence in the core. The acquisition of playmaking/shooting is pretty much a down vote on Fultz and Harris, as they bring those things on paper.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,962

Post#22 » by Knightro » Sat May 18, 2024 11:16 pm

eyriq wrote:I liked that, too. I read don't "overreact too much" as a vote of confidence in the core. The acquisition of playmaking/shooting is pretty much a down vote on Fultz and Harris, as they bring those things on paper.

I agree that it's a vote of confidence in the core.

But I have a feeling the number of players Paolo and his camp consider to be "the core" is a lot smaller than you do.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,581

Post#23 » by Bensational » Sat May 18, 2024 11:58 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:I liked that, too. I read don't "overreact too much" as a vote of confidence in the core. The acquisition of playmaking/shooting is pretty much a down vote on Fultz and Harris, as they bring those things on paper.

But I have a feeling the number of players Paolo and his camp consider to be "the core" is a lot smaller than you do.

Was also interesting that Paolo singled out Minnesota as an example of a young star with a great team around him. So Paolo might be ready to push the FO for bigger moves than they’d like to make?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by eyriq » Sun May 19, 2024 12:14 am

Knightro wrote:

I'm thinking Suggs and Franz. You think Suggs has earned it?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,962

Post#25 » by Knightro » Sun May 19, 2024 12:28 am

eyriq wrote:I'm thinking Suggs and Franz. You think Suggs has earned it?

I do, yes.

Paolo, Franz, Suggs is the core of the team.

Other guys *could* play their way into it in the future, but that's the core.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by eyriq » Sun May 19, 2024 12:35 am

Knightro wrote:

I do, yes.

I'm in agreement. I think this is the "right" way to think about the core of the team that drove our +13 game improvement. We should think about maximizing the team around those 3. Everyone else is a deck chair, though AB and Jett have potential to be Alfreds and should not be considered expendable.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#27 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 4:09 am

Bensational wrote:A couple of interesting bits from that Washington Post article:

Miller said Banchero’s comprehensive offseason regimen is focused on his conditioning, catch-and-shoot efficiency and explosive moves to earn free throws. The hope is that Banchero can eventually become the first Magic player to average 30 points per game since Tracy McGrady in 2002-03.

Miller said the Magic should be careful not to “overreact too much” this summer, but he agreed that acquiring “shooting and another playmaker” should be an organizational focus because Banchero “had a lot of heavy lifting this year.”

Interesting. Paolo’s camp is pushing for acquiring more playmaking and they have an intention of him becoming a 30ppg scorer.

I wonder if they’ve got guys in mind, and if they have ideas on who’s best suited to a 2-man game with Paolo?

I like that they’re planting flags for Paolo’s future already, and that they’re aiming for upper echelon.

Ooorrrr... Miller could be hinting to sign guys with his agency... lol
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#28 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 4:10 am

Knightro wrote:

I do, yes.

I think Paolo's core are those players that make his life easier on the court. So expect probably Isaac as well who covers up a lof of thr teams defensive lapses
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#29 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2024 6:49 pm

Knightro wrote:

I do, yes.

The problem with that core is that it is nice, but not championship nice. They have the potential to grow and get better together which is where the hope and excitement lies. I don't think that "hope and excitement" is good enough to bank everything on.

If we just get good role players like Tyus, Monk, Claxton, Kennard, Hartenstein, Trent, etc... then it's fair to expect incremental improvement, but we're playing checkers while the real contenders are playing chess.... where big name players join forces like they always do... ie. Philly or OKC getting Paul George, or Dallas getting Lebron, or Lakers getting Garland or Mitchell.

I'm ok with it as backup plan, but we should be going bigger. Garland, Ingram, Trae/Murray, etc. Ingram

Return to Orlando Magic