ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,909

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II 

Post#501 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 12:00 pm

three3d wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Most people on this board are too impatient, they were calling suggs a bust last season and now they r calling him a core player

And now they r doing the same mistake , they ll never learn

Those two games really were great.

It was pretty much right after that Dallas game where AB started racking up DNP’s and to me that was what was so damn frustrating about it all. Can anyone recall exactly what happened around that time that could have caused the benching?

When I play golf (once a year), I always hit 3 or 4 PGA-level shots, out of the 110 I end up taking...sometimes I believe, for a second, that those 3 or 4 reflect the type of golfer I am (and conveniently ignore the other 107 :lol: ).

Is it possible that the 2 breakout scoring games are the offensive outliers and not the other 67 games where he scored <5 pts?

*(I continue to like AB, but really question his likelihood of being enough of a scorer to pair with Suggs.)
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,871

Post#502 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:44 am

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#503 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

I have high confidence in AB. His role this past season was to defend and shoot 3s. But I think it is a bit disappointment to see how he stack with other rookies in the league. If this is ought to be successful, he has to improve to make himself an asset for the team. I just wish he works hard at his game and next season he makes the big jump. But right now I am more worried about the team structure than an individual player. We will see how this offseason pans out
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,259

Post#504 » by cedric76 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:49 am

Draft another Defensive minded player (devin carter)
Go after Monk and develop Black and Jett
Resign Goga to a dirty cheap 3yr contact (with team options)

Go Magic
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#505 » by drsd » Fri May 17, 2024 6:55 am

Player Regular Season PPG Playoff PPG Differential
Jalen Suggs  12.6  14.7  +1.9 
Cole Anthony  11.6  5.1  -6.5 
Gary Harris  6.9  4.2  -2.7 
Markelle Fultz  7.8  6.4  -1.4 
Anthomy Black  4.6  3.0  -1.6

Has there ever been a table of data that more clearly states why a team lost a playoff series?

https://www.givemesport.com/orlando-magic-should-trade-for-point-guard-in-2024-nba-draft/
drsd
RealGM

Post#506 » by drsd » Fri May 17, 2024 7:35 am

Let me translate: Banchero hopes the Magic sign a P. George type over any point guard.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,259

Post#507 » by cedric76 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:29 am

drsd wrote:

Let me translate: Banchero hopes the Magic sign a P. George type over any point guard.

Good translation :-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,150

Post#508 » by KillMonger » Fri May 17, 2024 4:42 pm

drsd wrote:

hopefully without it being paul george himself
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,614

Post#509 » by eyriq » Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 pm

drsd wrote:

Has there ever been a table of data that more clearly states why a team lost a playoff series?

https://www.givemesport.com/orlando-magic-should-trade-for-point-guard-in-2024-nba-draft/
Why is AB listed? He wasn't in the rotation, his production was irrelevant.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,674

Post#510 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 5:07 pm

eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:

did not mention all those players played half or more then half of the min they played in reg season...what a spin..

magic were a bucket in game 5 from winning 4 straight after losing first 2 games...it was a good yr
Skybox
RealGM

Post#511 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 5:26 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:

did not mention all those players played half or more then half of the min they played in reg season...what a spin..

magic were a bucket in game 5 from winning 4 straight after losing first 2 games...it was a good yr

Plus, there were a legit 3 qtrs of "garbage time" in just the 3rd & 4th game...that's where end of the bench guys got minutes, primarily...so their performances had very little to do with winning or losing.
drsd
RealGM

Post#512 » by drsd » Fri May 17, 2024 5:30 pm

I think you are all reading the wrong line. Read this one: Cole Anthony 11.6 5.1 -6.5 .

Anthony scoring minus-6.5 ppg the scoring reason Orlando lost this season.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 717

Post#513 » by Darth Magic » Fri May 17, 2024 6:49 pm

drsd wrote:

I honestly believe the Ingram rumours have legs. No matter how I look at it I can't see a better fit than him based on the criteria.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,674

Post#514 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

drsd wrote:I think you are all reading the wrong line. Read this one: Cole Anthony 11.6 5.1 -6.5 .

Anthony scoring minus-6.5 ppg the scoring reason Orlando lost this season.

or it was the turnover by mo to end quarter with 3 seconds were cavs shot and made a 3 in game 5 ..just that play and it never goes to a game 7
Skybox
RealGM

Post#515 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 9:34 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
drsd wrote:

I honestly believe the Ingram rumours have legs. No matter how I look at it I can't see a better fit than him based on the criteria.

The fit is just weird but maybe we’re going into uncharted territory…3 super long iso guys generating the offense, hopefully moving the ball (all 3 have decent assist histories), rounded out be a Center and a guard who can hit open 3’s? He’s certainly not a PG, he’s not really even a guard. His 3pt shooting has dipped but I think it’s situational as NOLA has those knockdown wings and CJ. Ingram probably has been the drive and kick guy with Zion largely absent for years.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 717

Post#516 » by Darth Magic » Fri May 17, 2024 10:47 pm

Skybox wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:
drsd wrote:

The fit is just weird but maybe we’re going into uncharted territory…3 super long iso guys generating the offense, hopefully moving the ball (all 3 have decent assist histories), rounded out be a Center and a guard who can hit open 3’s? He’s certainly not a PG, he’s not really even a guard. His 3pt shooting has dipped but I think it’s situational as NOLA has those knockdown wings and CJ. Ingram probably has been the drive and kick guy with Zion largely absent for years.

Yeah. I'm thinking 3 super long wings who can all create, shoot, and score with a point guard and center.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
Skybox
RealGM

Post#517 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:

Yeah. I'm thinking 3 super long wings who can all create, shoot, and score with a point guard and center.

Looks like NO point guard...but it could work with 3 6'8-10" guys who can all handle and all could avg 4+ assists each. Color me intrigued if a little concerned about Ingram's pending max (why would he be getting a max again?)...that's like $50m per for Ingram, I think....that doesn't sound like Weltman's way, but I'm watching.

My upside vision for Paolo is same number of points, scored the same way (but more efficiently), solid defense (like he showed in the playoffs), 7 or 8 rebounds, but the BIGGEST thing that will make him a star-level player is when he becomes a triple-double threat every night. If he could average 8 assists per game, which seems possible in this proposed lineup (with Ingram getting 5 assists & Franz at 4), that's a really interesting idea...3 big long guys, each capable of scoring from inside & out, on a high level, night in and night out...that's a BIG difference (to defend) from having just two the same way. As long as all 3 shoot from outside well enough to keep defenses honest (big summer for you Franz :x ), that could be a unique, unprecedented, scheme. I don't think Ingram is known to be a good defender, but he's long and obviously very agile for his size...Very interesting picture....then you throw Suggs' emerging 3&D, WCJ's versatility, and Isaac's wild defensive impact into the mix and hope your young guys are coming along and ready to contribute... :nod:
drsd
RealGM

Post#518 » by drsd » Sat May 18, 2024 9:51 am

Darth Magic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:

And for Orlando the "PG" is a combo guard in Suggs and the "C" is a PF in Carter. ZIg when other teams zag.

After all Ingram's "dip" in 3pt FG% was still 35.5% on a good volume of 3.8 attempts per game.

Ingram has one year on 36M. Trading for him is a risk in that he can (will?) walk after one year. So this would be a rental-type trade.
Kind of like when the Raptors got Leonard for a year. But heck: the did win an NBA title. So ....
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,422

Post#519 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:23 am

I don't think what some of you suggesting is "zagging" , it's more just unfuncional basketball that you try to re-event to fit strange roster peaces that make no sense.

Why Ingram would work with Banchero and Franz if same Ingram does not work with Zion ( who averages 0,4 apg less than Banchero) and Muprhy and Herb who are similar players to Franz but who actually shoot well?

BI isn't playmaker, much like Banchero isn't neither, they are players who milk 30% usage rate. They are way more similar to Derozan in their playstyles than they are to winning basketball players like some Lebron or Giannis. You simply have no reasons to have TWO of same players on the floor. Banchero and BI all do the same, they hold ball , they shoot mid range, their efficiency is around league's average and lot of times they need refs to bail them out and send them to FT line.
BI isn't great shooter from distance nor he ever showed any desire to actually shoot many 3s. His highest 3FGA per game is 6. That was 4 years ago, now it's less than a 4.

Ingram to Magic is completen nonsense in terms of a fit. He is nothing but underweight SF at 6'8 & some 185 pounds who can't stay healthy. Why he is being proposed to Magic? Because Pelicans are better off and they know he won't resign on small market team because he and Simmons view themselfs higher than they are.

if i'm getting rental of s**y Derozan, i would actually prefer actual- Derozan for a year than Ingram, knowing he will ask for some $180M contract or leave in 10 months.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#520 » by basketballRob » Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 am

pepe1991 wrote:I don't think what some of you suggesting is "zagging" , it's more just unfuncional basketball that you try to re-event to fit strange roster peaces that make no sense.

Why Ingram would work with Banchero and Franz if same Ingram does not work with Zion ( who averages 0,4 apg less than Banchero) and Muprhy and Herb who are similar players to Franz but who actually shoot well?

BI isn't playmaker, much like Banchero isn't neither, they are players who milk 30% usage rate. They are way more similar to Derozan in their playstyles than they are to winning basketball players like some Lebron or Giannis. You simply have no reasons to have TWO of same players on the floor. Banchero and BI all do the same, they hold ball , they shoot mid range, their efficiency is around league's average and lot of times they need refs to bail them out and send them to FT line.
BI isn't great shooter from distance nor he ever showed any desire to actually shoot many 3s. His highest 3FGA per game is 6. That was 4 years ago, now it's less than a 4.

Ingram to Magic is completen nonsense in terms of a fit. He is nothing but underweight SF at 6'8 & some 185 pounds who can't stay healthy. Why he is being proposed to Magic? Because Pelicans are better off and they know he won't resign on small market team because he and Simmons view themselfs higher than they are.

if i'm getting rental of s**y Derozan, i would actually prefer actual- Derozan for a year than Ingram, knowing he will ask for some $180M contract or leave in 10 months.
Giannis didn't win as much as Banchero did as a young player. The Bucks made the playoffs finally when he was 22 and they lost in 6 games. When he was 23, the Bucks were around 500 and lost in 7 games.

I'm just not sure how you can say Banchero isn't a winning player like Giannis. The Bucks won a championship when Giannis was 26, but the team has evolved into having one of the highest payrolls. The Magic are 4-5 seasons away from being one of the highest payrolls.

https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=perchoice&player_id1=banchpa01&p1yrfrom=2024&p1yrto=2024&player_id2=antetgi01&p2yrfrom=2016&p2yrto=2016

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic