ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1601 » by p0peye » Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 pm

Skybox wrote:I love what DAL did...bringing in PJ Washington and Gafford with their last frps in the treasure chest. They are stacked deep, heavy at the skill positions AND role players, and really not that old overall...screw the draft and the resulting nursery school of development and hoping/guessing what they'll be.

You had to do something or risk Luka losing faith anyway. Worst scenario...Even if it was a total fail and Luka demands out...he's bringing back a half-dozen picks and prospects - so you're starting your rebuild anyway.

Just win baby.

When you have two All-NBA superstars and one of them happens to be MVP caliber player, you damn sure bring a bunch of role players.

Not sure it has anything to do with what we need to do with our roster.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#1602 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

p0peye wrote:Man, playing in East doesn't give us proper perspective on what it means to be a contender. Eastern teams pad their records (win-pad?) and can easily endup in Finals while at the same time they might be a play-in caliber team in West. Pathetic.

If we want to actually win anytime in future, we need to measure ourselves against true contenders, not Cavs, Knicks or Sixers.

yep, and it has been that way ever since Jordan retired. Basically from 1998 to present day only 4 teams won that did not have Lebron ( or/and) Wade:
2004 Pistons
2008 Celtics
2019 Raptors ( injuries made a series)
2021 Bucks

That's it. Especially bad was streach of 13 years with 10 years o Western dominance as everybody knew "real" finals were Western Conference Finals.

if you rank top 10 nba teams , how many teams from East would get there?
My personal list would look something like

1) Nuggets
2) Wolves
3) Celtics
4) OKC
5) Mavs
6) Clippers
7) Lakers
8) Bucks
9) Pelicans
10) Warriors

:dontknow:

Warriors on East would have been second best team. Didn't make it to playoffs on West.

When you compare wins vs conference it's sad and hilarious at once.

Knicks vs West 15-15
Magic vs West 15-15
Bucks vs West 15-15
Pacers vs West 15-15

Now other side around:
Okc vs East 21-9
Wolves vs East 21-9
Clippers vs East 21-9
Dallas vs East 19-11

But i guess that's gift and a curse, East is way easier , but because of it teams tend to be worst and aren't "battle tested " until finals, and they tend to lose in finals because that's first time they face serious competition.
On West you kill yourself to finals, but in finals you are usually favorite to win.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1603 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:54 pm

Oh and fact that Pacers or Knicks will end up in finals and one of Mavs/Nuggets/OKC/Wolves won't makes me sad. All those teams would beat Knicks/Pacers 14 times in 15 games.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,966

Post#1604 » by thelead » Sun May 12, 2024 8:28 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Oh and fact that Pacers or Knicks will end up in finals and one of Mavs/Nuggets/OKC/Wolves won't makes me sad. All those teams would beat Knicks/Pacers 14 times in 15 games.

Did the Celtics get bounced already?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1605 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 pm

thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Oh and fact that Pacers or Knicks will end up in finals and one of Mavs/Nuggets/OKC/Wolves won't makes me sad. All those teams would beat Knicks/Pacers 14 times in 15 games.

Pacers v Knicks is matchup of two average nba teams where one of them is going to CF by accident.

As i type this, Knicks are down by 30 at half
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,966

Post#1606 » by thelead » Sun May 12, 2024 9:01 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Pacers v Knicks is matchup of two average nba teams where one of them is going to CF by accident.

It happens sometimes. Embiid was on pace for another MVP season and got injured. If he wasn’t hurt, it would be Philly vs Celtics. Hardly a bad conference finals matchup.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,933

Post#1607 » by RookieStar » Sun May 12, 2024 9:08 pm

As much as I like the Knicks, Brunsons is entering Kyle Lowry levels of flopping which is turning me off
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#1608 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 pm

p0peye wrote:
Skybox wrote:I love what DAL did...bringing in PJ Washington and Gafford with their last frps in the treasure chest. They are stacked deep, heavy at the skill positions AND role players, and really not that old overall...screw the draft and the resulting nursery school of development and hoping/guessing what they'll be.

You had to do something or risk Luka losing faith anyway. Worst scenario...Even if it was a total fail and Luka demands out...he's bringing back a half-dozen picks and prospects - so you're starting your rebuild anyway.

Just win baby.

When you have two All-NBA superstars and one of them happens to be MVP caliber player, you damn sure bring a bunch of role players.

You realize which thread this is?
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#1609 » by p0peye » Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 pm

Skybox wrote:
p0peye wrote:

Just win baby.

You realize which thread this is?

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1610 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun May 12, 2024 11:30 pm

Man life has to be rough for Pistons fans. Historically bad team and not an even a top 4 pick. Glad Spurs didn’t get top 3.
aka: prorl
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1611 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 12:38 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:Man life has to be rough for Pistons fans. Historically bad team and not an even a top 4 pick. Glad Spurs didn’t get top 3.

They got #4 amd #8 while the future face of the league is in the same age roughly...

The only saving grace the rest of the league has is that its supposedly one of the worst/weakest draft ever...

Imagine them doing a reverse Magic draft. Getting #1 in Victor while we got Paolo then gettong their version of Suggs and Wagner....
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1612 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 13, 2024 12:56 am

RookieStar wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Man life has to be rough for Pistons fans. Historically bad team and not an even a top 4 pick. Glad Spurs didn’t get top 3.

They got #4 amd #8 while the future face of the league is in the same age roughly...

The only saving grace the rest of the league has is that its supposedly one of the worst/weakest draft ever...

Imagine them doing a reverse Magic draft. Getting #1 in Victor while we got Paolo then gettong their version of Suggs and Wagner....

Was more concerned about their own pick, the other was result of a trade.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1613 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 13, 2024 1:07 am

This Den\Minny game is incredible. So freaking intense. And man what a spectacular finish to the half. Break away dunk then a half court buzzer beater after a terrible pass. Disastrous last 5 secs for Minny.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#1614 » by Message Boar » Mon May 13, 2024 1:08 am

Magic end of quarter/first halves ain't got nothing at what the Wolves just got done to them by the Nuggets, absolutely insane. It was looking like they'd have the deficit down to single digits, then just like that turnover>dunk, turnover>half court murray heave, and back to 15 the lead goes. I'd be in shambles if I were a Wolves fan right now.

Still all to play for though, both in this game and in the series.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1615 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Was more concerned about their own pick, the other was result of a trade.

Same as us... we were all FADE FOR CADE for our own picks and Franz was the result of a trade... good thing it was one of strongest draft top heavy wise then..
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1616 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 1:11 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:This Den\Minny game is incredible. So freaking intense. And man what a spectacular finish to the half. Break away dunk then a half court buzzer beater after a terrible pass. Disastrous last 5 secs for Minny.

This series told me that 6'8/6'9 AG can bump and defend one one one a 7 foot offensive monster on KAT
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1617 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 13, 2024 1:19 am

Message Boar wrote:Magic end of quarter/first halves ain't got nothing at what the Wolves just got done to them by the Nuggets, absolutely insane. It was looking like they'd have the deficit down to single digits, then just like that turnover>dunk, turnover>half court murray heave, and back to 15 the lead goes. I'd be in shambles if I were a Wolves fan right now.

Still all to play for though, both in this game and in the series.

8 pts in 19 secs has to be hyper demoralizing. That was insane.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#1618 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 am

Denver has awoken
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#1619 » by Message Boar » Mon May 13, 2024 1:33 am

AG popping off (not as hard as Murray right now, though).

This whole game in general sometimes just looks like a different sport than what the Magic are playing. The shotmaking, the pace at which everyone is taking decisive actions, it's intense out there, man. Great series, hope it goes 7.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#1620 » by byeganyo » Mon May 13, 2024 2:14 am

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Knicks are a good team, hobbled by injuries. At full strength they are top 10.

Return to Orlando Magic