ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continuation... AND one!

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,468

Around the NBA - Continuation... AND one! 

Post#1 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun May 5, 2024 8:33 pm

viewtopic.php?t=2372354 - previous thread

cavs ducked the smoke and deserve what's coming
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,577

Re: Around the NBA - Continuation... AND one! 

Post#2 » by ctorres » Sun May 5, 2024 8:39 pm

I feel like Mitchell and Brunson are better off as rivals than teammates.

They both lead their respective teams close to the same way.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,385

Post#3 » by aggo » Sun May 5, 2024 8:43 pm

no one has yet to explain to me how brunson-mitchell is a fit
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,577

Post#4 » by ctorres » Sun May 5, 2024 8:48 pm

aggo wrote:no one has yet to explain to me how brunson-mitchell is a fit

They're as good of a fit as Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,927

Post#5 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun May 5, 2024 9:14 pm

Can’t lie, it might not be worth it to continue the discussion. Some of these guys love Mitchell enough that they were talking about how it was okay to overpay for him the first time around because they wanted an exciting team, even if there was no chance at a championship. Can’t argue with those guys.

So you just gotta realize that it’s just a different logical framework. Some of us are looking at the weaknesses of our team and trying to find ways to get to championship contention (although we may disagree). Others have already decided what the solution is because they love him, and are trying to convince themselves that that one solution is gonna get the Knicks to contention.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,061

Post#6 » by knicks94 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:20 pm

Now that the Cavs won expect SAS to jump back on the Donovan Mitchell train.
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#7 » by Spree2Houston » Sun May 5, 2024 9:31 pm

It works in 2K
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,245

Post#8 » by Juco24 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:36 pm

No one has yet to explain to me how Brunson/Spida is not a fit
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#9 » by Spree2Houston » Sun May 5, 2024 9:41 pm

Knicks averaged 88 shots per game on the season. Let’s say we got Mitchell. Mitchell, Brunson, Randle would average 20 shots each (a conservative amount) which would leave 28 remaining shots to be split between Anunoby, Hart, Divincenzo, and Hartenstein. That would be 7 shots each lol
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,433

Post#10 » by sol537 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:43 pm

It fits because JB and Spida are two dogs who want to be in NY and who want to win a title. Both are winning players ie will do what’s necessary to win. Spida is an inch or so shorter than DDV but his longer reach makes up for the difference.

JB and Spida would need two 3&D guys next to them… so OG and one more 6’7 plus dude like a Tre Murphy type. Then IHart as your offensively gifted hustle center.

You can’t point to Garland and say this won’t work… Brunson is way better than Garland and already proved he could play off ball efficiently.

So, yes, it could work… though DDV and Hart go to the bench where they are better suited… McBride probably goes out in the trade… and we still have to find a 3&D Randle replacement unless Randle is kept and expected to be the #3 guys…
aggo
RealGM

Post#11 » by aggo » Sun May 5, 2024 9:45 pm

Btw I think we are on the cusp of a new defensive strategy in the nba that everyone will start using

Take your best wing or big defender.

Get him off ball, put him in the back line in help defense and rotation

We did it by taking OG off Maxey and putting him in the corner

Minn did it by using naz Reid and Kat on Jokic

It makes so much sense. You don’t ask bad defensive players like KAT to make the read on Gordon’s baseline cut while moving up to help. You ask gobert to do it bc his brain works faster

You take OG off ball, teams will default to sets or iso bc they don’t want you to switch on the pnr. And OG plays centerfield and roams.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,433

Post#12 » by sol537 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:51 pm

aggo wrote:Btw I think we are on the cusp of a new defensive strategy in the nba that everyone will start using

It makes so much sense. You don’t ask bad defensive players like KAT to make the read on Gordon’s baseline cut while moving up to help. You ask gobert to do it bc his brain works faster

You take OG off ball, teams will default to sets or iso bc they don’t want you to switch on the pnr. And OG plays centerfield and roams.

Can never have enough elite defenders… OG, McBride, and Precious are three really good ones… need more
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,927

Post#13 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun May 5, 2024 10:43 pm

sol537 wrote:It fits because JB and Spida are two dogs who want to be in NY and who want to win a title. Both are winning players ie will do what’s necessary to win. Spida is an inch or so shorter than DDV but his longer reach makes up for the difference.

JB and Spida would need two 3&D guys next to them… so OG and one more 6’7 plus dude like a Tre Murphy type. Then IHart as your offensively gifted hustle center.

You can’t point to Garland and say this won’t work… Brunson is way better than Garland and already proved he could play off ball efficiently.

So, yes, it could work… though DDV and Hart go to the bench where they are better suited… McBride probably goes out in the trade… and we still have to find a 3&D Randle replacement unless Randle is kept and expected to be the #3 guys…

Question: do a lot of Donovan Mitchell fans here still think he's better than Brunson?

Just wondering because I have been been adamant that Brunson surpassed Mitchell for a long time now, and I cannot fathom any scenario where I am moving Brunson off ball for Mitchell or asking Brunson to cater to Mitchell. It would be the other way around for me.
aggo
RealGM

Post#14 » by aggo » Sun May 5, 2024 10:44 pm

sol537 wrote:
aggo wrote:Btw I think we are on the cusp of a new defensive strategy in the nba that everyone will start using

Can never have enough elite defenders… OG, McBride, and Precious are three really good ones… need more

Yes.

For instance you would be dumb to read what I wrote and think

“Well then let’s put bogs on Anthony Edwards!”

No the idea is if u have a guy like Donte, whose a slightly below avg defender, and his back line help is OG, that the majority of defensive possessions are net better putting Donte on ball and OG in help. Which is counterintuitive but actually makes sense when you saw how many more defensive plays OG was able to influence by roaming and making his reads with the play in front of him
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Juco24 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:59 pm

sol537 wrote:It fits because JB and Spida are two dogs who want to be in NY and who want to win a title. Both are winning players ie will do what’s necessary to win. Spida is an inch or so shorter than DDV but his longer reach makes up for the difference.

And 1!
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Juco24 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:03 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

Question: do a lot of Donovan Mitchell fans here still think he's better than Brunson?

Just wondering because I have been been adamant that Brunson surpassed Mitchell for a long time now, and I cannot fathom any scenario where I am moving Brunson off ball for Mitchell or asking Brunson to cater to Mitchell. It would be the other way around for me.

Whoever comes, regardless of position... needs to understand that they will need to adjust THEIR style to fit Brunson... imo Mitchell would rather win than be the 1st option. Thus fitting IN with JB, not competing for shots
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,336

Post#17 » by Clyde_Style » Sun May 5, 2024 11:39 pm

ctorres wrote:

They're as good of a fit as Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis.

Steve Francis had a superior substance abuse problem that Brunson and Mitchell can't begin to touch
ImageImageImage
aggo
RealGM

Post#18 » by aggo » Sun May 5, 2024 11:42 pm

I still have not read anything other than

"it'll work because it will work"

on brunson-mitchell fit.

2 high usg guards that do the same thing.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,336

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Sun May 5, 2024 11:51 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

Brunson is very unique. His style and rhythm is unlike anyone else in the league. He is also one of the few players whom you can say the higher the usage the more his teammates benefit. Of course, that can be taken too far in the occasional instance like games 1 and 2 of the last series where Brunson overshot when he was not in sync. But, otherwise, his gravity pulls defenses apart and opens up our guys for open shot opportunities.

There is no case for DM to assume a share of Brunson's lead guard and facilitation duties. DM would truly be an off the ball SG next to Brunson. Some may say in response they are cool with that, but that is not Mitchell's game. He requires a lot more ball time than he'd get.

The SG next to Brunson should definitely be a high quality defender who scores well playing off the ball. Some creation ability in your SG is always needed, but not at the expense of that much usage in a Brunson-centric offense.

Brunson is fundamentally more like a SG in the way they play considering how much they are a shoot-first PG. This may be a knock usually, but with Brunson it works because he breaks down offenses which frees up our other players for their opportunities as long as they stay active and alert off the ball.

We will have to re-integrate Randle into the offense next year anyway. That's where the extra touches are going.

Brunson is a superior player. DM is too redundant to say he is worth giving up lots of assets for. You give up star trade assets for a player who fills a need. DM is not a need, just more points and another mouth to feed. Randle is plenty of that already. We need to upgrade with other kinds of players than DM.
ImageImageImage
aggo
RealGM

Post#20 » by aggo » Sun May 5, 2024 11:57 pm

Scott Perry knew Donovan Mitchell wasn't good enough:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy4pCruMgBm/

Return to New York Knicks