ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continuation... AND one!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,240

Re: Around the NBA - Continuation... AND one! 

Post#21 » by Spree2Houston » Sun May 5, 2024 11:58 pm

I’m confident this regime will make the right decision. So far they’ve shown to value fit with all players they’ve acquired. I trust their judgement. They will get the right guy.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,419

Post#22 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 12:03 am

Spree2Houston wrote:I’m confident this regime will make the right decision. So far they’ve shown to value fit with all players they’ve acquired. I trust their judgement. They will get the right guy.

Leon Rose is an excellent value shopper

Word is he clips coupons to save money on groceries.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#23 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 12:08 am

aggo wrote:Scott Perry knew Donovan Mitchell wasn't good enough:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy4pCruMgBm/

He is right. He was always right about this. While he was with the Knicks we protected our assets. And Rose continued that trend.

One thing is for damn sure. We would not be the team we are today if we had done that trade. We would be back in the lottery after giving Ainge our young players and 4-5 FRPs, not going into the 2nd round a second year in a row.
ImageImageImage
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,992

Post#24 » by Adelheid » Mon May 6, 2024 1:56 am

with audio

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,576

Post#25 » by robillionaire » Mon May 6, 2024 2:14 am

Scott Perry gave us multiple years of elfrid Payton because giving the Magic years of elfrid Payton wasn’t enough for him I’ll pass on his opinion still want Donovan
Ghetto Gospel
Analyst
And1: 2,803

Post#26 » by Ghetto Gospel » Mon May 6, 2024 2:18 am

aggo wrote:Btw I think we are on the cusp of a new defensive strategy in the nba that everyone will start using

Take your best wing or big defender.

Get him off ball, put him in the back line in help defense and rotation

We did it by taking OG off Maxey and putting him in the corner

Minn did it by using naz Reid and Kat on Jokic

It makes so much sense. You don’t ask bad defensive players like KAT to make the read on Gordon’s baseline cut while moving up to help. You ask gobert to do it bc his brain works faster

You take OG off ball, teams will default to sets or iso bc they don’t want you to switch on the pnr. And OG plays centerfield and roams.

the league has been doing that a long time. remember the criticism giannis used to get for not guarding kd directly when he was in brooklyn?

lakers did the same thing putting rui on jokic and letting AD roam/help
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,483

Post#27 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:50 am

sol537 wrote:
aggo wrote:Btw I think we are on the cusp of a new defensive strategy in the nba that everyone will start using

Take your best wing or big defender.

Get him off ball, put him in the back line in help defense and rotation

We did it by taking OG off Maxey and putting him in the corner

Minn did it by using naz Reid and Kat on Jokic

It makes so much sense. You don’t ask bad defensive players like KAT to make the read on Gordon’s baseline cut while moving up to help. You ask gobert to do it bc his brain works faster

You take OG off ball, teams will default to sets or iso bc they don’t want you to switch on the pnr. And OG plays centerfield and roams.

Can never have enough elite defenders… OG, McBride, and Precious are three really good ones… need more

uhhhh tf?

you forgetting someone?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#28 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 2:58 am

robillionaire wrote:Scott Perry gave us multiple years of elfrid Payton because giving the Magic years of elfrid Payton wasn’t enough for him I’ll pass on his opinion still want Donovan

He made those comments AFTER Rose had already been in power for a good while already, therefore that was Perry relaying the thought process behind why the FO under Rose was not going to let themselves overpay for a player who had never proven to be an impact player who justifies the kind of trade you make for a top 10.

Elfrid Payton does not change the fact that Perry was 100% correct. DM has never shown up consistently enough to be considered great or worth giving up a good chunk of your roster for. The Cavs made that mistake already.
ImageImageImage
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,483

Post#29 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:58 am

Juco24 wrote:
sol537 wrote:It fits because JB and Spida are two dogs who want to be in NY and who want to win a title. Both are winning players ie will do what’s necessary to win. Spida is an inch or so shorter than DDV but his longer reach makes up for the difference.

JB and Spida would need two 3&D guys next to them… so OG and one more 6’7 plus dude like a Tre Murphy type. Then IHart as your offensively gifted hustle center.

You can’t point to Garland and say this won’t work… Brunson is way better than Garland and already proved he could play off ball efficiently.

So, yes, it could work… though DDV and Hart go to the bench where they are better suited… McBride probably goes out in the trade… and we still have to find a 3&D Randle replacement unless Randle is kept and expected to be the #3 guys…

And 1!

so yall REALLY wanna take the ball out. of Brunsons hands for Donovan Mitchell..... no jodas.... yall buggin

Brunson is a SUPERSTAR point guard not an off ball shooting guard where he should defer to another point
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#30 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 3:02 am

Not a single person who wants to trade for DM has posted a detailed explanation as to why he's a good fit on this roster.

It's always vague innuendos that people who don't want DM don't get it. Stop deflecting. Step up to the plate and explain why he's such a great fit.
ImageImageImage
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#31 » by stuporman » Mon May 6, 2024 4:26 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
sol537 wrote:It fits because JB and Spida are two dogs who want to be in NY and who want to win a title. Both are winning players ie will do what’s necessary to win. Spida is an inch or so shorter than DDV but his longer reach makes up for the difference.

JB and Spida would need two 3&D guys next to them… so OG and one more 6’7 plus dude like a Tre Murphy type. Then IHart as your offensively gifted hustle center.

You can’t point to Garland and say this won’t work… Brunson is way better than Garland and already proved he could play off ball efficiently.

So, yes, it could work… though DDV and Hart go to the bench where they are better suited… McBride probably goes out in the trade… and we still have to find a 3&D Randle replacement unless Randle is kept and expected to be the #3 guys…

And 1!

so yall REALLY wanna take the ball out. of Brunsons hands for Donovan Mitchell..... no jodas.... yall buggin

Brunson is a SUPERSTAR point guard not an off ball shooting guard where he should defer to another point

Title contending teams have multiple players that can create for themselves and others. Both Brunson and Mitchell can play on ball or off it so they can play together and also stagger so either one of them are always on the court. No more questions about where the offense is coming from when Brunson sits.

I'm not concerned about offensive chemistry, it's defensive effectiveness that's what I wonder about. We see what Brunson and Deuce can do together but Deuce is much more limited offensively than Mitchell. Of course, he's also a much better defender than him.

If Mitchell can play half as good defense as Deuce, he's playing at the level Divo is but is also much higher level of offensive weapon than either of those other two. Although trading for Mitchell probably costs the Knicks Deuce and I'm not a fan of that idea.

Who's going to guard the Maxeys of the league for the next decade? If the cost is Deuce and two picks that's hard to pass up if the Knicks get to keep Randle, too. Brunson, Mitchell, Randle, OG, Hart, Divo, iHart, Mitch, Precious...Knicks getting deep af with that.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,540

Post#32 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 6, 2024 4:30 am

So Patrick Beverly hurled a basketball into the stands twice, the second time accidentally hitting a woman in the head with it. :crazy:

Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#33 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 4:37 am

stuporman wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
And 1!

Title contending teams have multiple players that can create for themselves and others. Both Brunson and Mitchell can play on ball or off it so they can play together and also stagger so either one of them are always on the court. No more questions about where the offense is coming from when Brunson sits.

I'm not concerned about offensive chemistry, it's defensive effectiveness that's what I wonder about. We see what Brunson and Deuce can do together but Deuce is much more limited offensively than Mitchell. Of course, he's also a much better defender than him.

If Mitchell can play half as good defense as Deuce, he's playing at the level Divo is but is also much higher level of offensive weapon than either of those other two. Although trading for Mitchell probably costs the Knicks Deuce and I'm not a fan of that idea.

Who's going to guard the Maxeys of the league for the next decade? If the cost is Deuce and two picks that's hard to pass up if the Knicks get to keep Randle, too. Brunson, Mitchell, Randle, OG, Hart, Divo, iHart, Mitch, Precious...Knicks getting deep af with that.

If the cost was that low I'd be willing to roll the dice on DM, but we all know the ask will be much more than Deuce and two picks.

We don't know if they will be able to retain Hartenstein which means our only center will be Mitch. Our needs for depth in the frontcourt could be greater than the backcourt.

And what if we do bring over Rokas and he's a good backup PG off the bench who can give us another efficient 10 PPG?

I understand the desire is get a reliable shot maker after Brunson, but isn't that what Randle was this season?

There's lots of moving parts and possible gaps that need to be filled due to Summer turnover.

My guess is the ask would be for our best value contracts which are Deuce, Donte and Mitch. Plus picks.
ImageImageImage
stuporman
RealGM

Post#34 » by stuporman » Mon May 6, 2024 4:49 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:so yall REALLY wanna take the ball out. of Brunsons hands for Donovan Mitchell..... no jodas.... yall buggin

If the cost was that low I'd be willing to roll the dice on DM, but we all know the ask will be much more than Deuce and two picks.

We don't know if they will be able to retain Hartenstein which means our only center will be Mitch. Our needs for depth in the frontcourt could be greater than the backcourt.

And what if we do bring over Rokas and he's a good backup PG off the bench who can give us another efficient 10 PPG?

I understand the desire is get a reliable shot maker after Brunson, but isn't that what Randle was this season?

There's lots of moving parts and possible gaps that need to be filled due to Summer turnover.

My guess is the ask would be for our best value contracts which are Deuce, Donte and Mitch. Plus picks.

We don't know what the ask will be because if DMitch tells them behind closed doors it's Knicks or nowhere and will tell interested teams he isn't resigning with them to test FA then what they ask and what they get offered are two different things.

He doesn't have to get noisy in public or anything but if in private he tells them he only wants the Knicks like OG did then look what happened with that deal after they asked for the moon for over a year. Knicks are becoming a destination and he already wanted to be here to begin with.

We'll see if a second round appearance is enough to keep him happy in Cleveland if the Knicks get to the ECF or finals while looking like they are one piece away from real title contenders. Especially if it's another elite level scorer that is the obvious hole in the roster.

Donte isn't going anywhere, Mitch they have no use for but sure, ok, if they want. Deuce would definitely be a big ask so along with picks and with salary filler it might be it. Again, especially if he tells them NY or nowhere. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Image?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#35 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 5:04 am

stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

We don't know what the ask will be because if DMitch tells them behind closed doors he says it's Knicks or nowhere and will tell interested teams he isn't resigning with them to test FA then what they ask and what they get offered are two different things.

He doesn't have to get noisy in public or anything but if in private he tells them he only wants the Knicks like OG did then look what happened with that deal after they asked for the moon for over a year. Knicks are becoming are destination and he already wanted to be here to begin with.

We'll see if a second round appearance is enough to keep him happy in Cleveland if the Knicks get to the ECF or finals while looking like they are one piece away from real title contenders. Especially if it's another elite level scorer that is the obvious hole in the roster.

Donte isn't going anywhere, Mitch they have no use for but sure, ok, if they want. Deuce would definitely be a big ask so along with picks and with salary filler it might be it. Again, especially if he tells them NY or nowhere. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

We've seen how it worked out in the past when a star held their team hostage insisting on being traded to only one team. In theory, that gives the destination team more leverage and thus the possibility of giving up less in return. But that's theoretical, not necessarily the reality.

This FO appears free of Dolan's meddling now so I don't expect a repeat of the Melo trade, especially since they told Ainge to take a hike earlier. But I do expect the ask to be high if talks do get underway.

I don't expect DM wants to be in Cleveland at all. I do believe he wants to be a Knick.

I value Deuce quite a bit. We also don't know his true upside yet. He has progressed impressively since he got playing time.

Sometimes the player on the value contract is the one who stays, especially when you have to put out big bucks for OG and to extend Brunson.
ImageImageImage
stuporman
RealGM

Post#36 » by stuporman » Mon May 6, 2024 5:16 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

We don't know what the ask will be because if DMitch tells them behind closed doors he says it's Knicks or nowhere and will tell interested teams he isn't resigning with them to test FA then what they ask and what they get offered are two different things.

He doesn't have to get noisy in public or anything but if in private he tells them he only wants the Knicks like OG did then look what happened with that deal after they asked for the moon for over a year. Knicks are becoming are destination and he already wanted to be here to begin with.

We've seen how it worked out in the past when a star held their team hostage insisting on being traded to only one team. In theory, that gives the destination team more leverage and thus the possibility of giving up less in return. But that's theoretical, not necessarily the reality.

This FO appears free of Dolan's meddling now so I don't expect a repeat of the Melo trade, especially since they told Ainge to take a hike earlier. But I do expect the ask to be high if talks do get underway.

I don't expect DM wants to be in Cleveland at all. I do believe he wants to be a Knick.

I value Deuce quite a bit. We also don't know his true upside yet. He has progressed impressively since he got playing time.

Sometimes the player on the value contract is the one who stays, especially when you have to put out big bucks for OG and to extend Brunson.

We've seen teams get hamstrung by one destination ultimatums so get less and we've seen them still get huge packages even with it. The length of the contract usually impacts that and he'd be going into his last year of the contract if he opts out of his final year after next season.

I value the heck out of Deuce, too, who doesn't. Although, you have to give up something good to get something good so Deuce plus 2 unprotected picks with salary filler might be enough to get it done if he gives them the ultimatum. If he doesn't then that changes everything.

The Knicks aren't pressed to do it and they do have a savy FO so it will be interesting to see what happens this summer.
Image?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#37 » by Clyde_Style » Mon May 6, 2024 5:44 am

stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

We've seen teams get hamstrung by one destination ultimatums so get less and we've seen them still get huge packages even with it. The length of the contract usually impacts that and he'd be going into his last year of the contract if he opts out of his final year after next season.

I value the heck out of Deuce, too, who doesn't. Although, you have to give up something good to get something good so Deuce plus 2 unprotected picks with salary filler might be enough to get it done if he gives them the ultimatum. If he doesn't then that changes everything.

The Knicks aren't pressed to do it and they do have a savy FO so it will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

This FO took their time. Not every decision was flawless. But they made the right key decisions by showing patience and acting when the time was right.

As far as impact goes, I think the OG trade has been just as important as any other alpha player trade could be. 25-5 when he plays, right? That's incredible.

In my mind, this FO has already pulled off two superstar deals in Brunson and OG. One cost them a 2nd round pick, the other cost RJ and IQ.

I like their opportunistic patient approach. If a big deal happens, this time we might only know about it when it happens like the OG deal.

I trust them to make the right decision. If it was for DM for instance, I'd support the deal just because they've been better at this than any of us schmoes posting here on this board.

We may be at the stage where the FO is thinking the next deal they make could put the team into strong contention for multiple years. IOW, they kind of have to get it right considering how much cap space will be tied up in the next year. Otherwise, they may think the core of Brunson, Randle and OG is their guys already and it is about continuing to strengthen the roster. Or they could move Randle if the prize is big enough, but it would have to be that final piece then.
ImageImageImage
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,939

Post#38 » by spree2kawhi » Mon May 6, 2024 8:21 am

aggo wrote:no one has yet to explain to me how brunson-mitchell is a fit

Towns is a much better fit.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#39 » by stuporman » Mon May 6, 2024 8:24 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

This FO took their time. Not every decision was flawless. But they made the right key decisions by showing patience and acting when the time was right.

As far as impact goes, I think the OG trade has been just as important as any other alpha player trade could be. 25-5 when he plays, right? That's incredible.

In my mind, this FO has already pulled off two superstar deals in Brunson and OG. One cost them a 2nd round pick, the other cost RJ and IQ.

I like their opportunistic patient approach. If a big deal happens, this time we might only know about it when it happens like the OG deal.

I trust them to make the right decision. If it was for DM for instance, I'd support the deal just because they've been better at this than any of us schmoes posting here on this board.

We may be at the stage where the FO is thinking the next deal they make could put the team into strong contention for multiple years. IOW, they kind of have to get it right considering how much cap space will be tied up in the next year. Otherwise, they may think the core of Brunson, Randle and OG is their guys already and it is about continuing to strengthen the roster. Or they could move Randle if the prize is big enough, but it would have to be that final piece then.

They have been patient, they won't rush into something just to do something but they know they are on the clock now, a window has opened and they need to finish the job which will take another elite offensive player.

For everything we love about OG and what he brings, he's more like how Draymond Green was a 'superstar' in the mold of a superglue guy next to two elite scorers in Curry and Klay. We are eventually going to learn how the Knicks need another elite scorer at some point in these playoffs.

I will say Randle looked as comfortable as he ever has running next to OG for the month they all got together, although I'm not sure Randle is that elite scorer for all the scoring and play making does he bring, he's too um...'problematic'.

I'm still not 100% sold on it but if I'm going to be honest, the idea of the double barrel shotgun of scoring with Brunson and Mitchell might be too tempting to not try if the opportunity arises. Especially now that OG can be their Draymond and even more so if they can keep Randle.

Round that out with some defensive center play and the rest of the Nova boys the Knicks can make a run at the finals for a few years imo. The amount of elite scoring and elite defensive energy the Knicks can bring with that roster would be tough to match up with for sure.

The Knicks are better situated now to make a move like that than they were two summers ago. I also would love nothing more than to watch the national media doubt the Knicks with their 'too short back court' then have to eat so much crow they're crapping feathers.

This obviously hinges on the price it costs to get him, though.
Image?
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,992

Post#40 » by Adelheid » Mon May 6, 2024 10:00 am

swaying away and forget the "fit aspect" - if spida indeed wont re-sign with CLE and the latter decides tp put him on the trading block, would y'all think Rose would let this slide, knowing spida could be a key piece to a competitive rival?

I can see the knicks getting into the mix when this happens

Return to New York Knicks