ImageImageImageImageImage

Heisman Trophy Winner Charlie Ward

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,405

Heisman Trophy Winner Charlie Ward 

Post#1 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat May 4, 2024 8:56 am

It's been nearly 30 years since the Charlie Ward draft (how time flies). Ward's QB numbers his final season:

264 for 380. 69.5%, 3032 years for 8.0 yard per attempt, 27 TDs, 4 ints and 65 rushes for 339 yards.

It was his 2nd season as the starting QB, the year before wasn't nearly as good (17 ints, 55.9 completion percentage). so, he'd shown significant improvement.

Ward told the NFL that he'd play football if he was drafted in the first round. Teams didn't like scrambling QBs in 1994, so he went undrafted, and most mocks put him in the 3rd-5th round, though I expect his strongly considering the NBA was a big part of his ranking. If he'd been all about football, I'm guessing 2nd round, but . . . I'm only guessing.

I can't help but wonder what kind of a QB he'd have been had he gone that route.

Ward impressed NBA teams at the draft combine and at tryouts before the draft and went 26th to the NY Knicks. It wasn't a reach as he might have gone 27 to the Magic if the Knicks hadn't picked him.

More details here:

https://hoopshype.com/2017/12/12/how-heisman-trophy-winner-charlie-ward-prepared-for-the-nba-draft/
You’ve gotta have Hart
Miles and miles and miles of Hart
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,085

Re: Heisman Trophy Winner Charlie Ward 

Post#2 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat May 4, 2024 2:07 pm

There was that joke that Charlie Ward was the best QB in Ny for a number of years. It was probably true at times. We will never know for sure but I think he could have made it as an NFL QB. Just proving to be an NBA pg in NY answers a lot of the questions about being a pro athlete and holding up to the scrutiny. Being a black running QB back then was not something teams were looking at back then. He may not have even gotten a fair shot. With his resume, he really should have been locked in as a first or second rounder at worst.

He had a really nice NBA career and made a good living….avoided the hits that would have come in the NFL. Maybe it worked out better for him. I think he is the type that would have been successful no matter what.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,340

Re: Heisman Trophy Winner Charlie Ward 

Post#3 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:21 pm

CHARRRRLIIIEEEEE WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRDDDDDD!!!!!!

We had the best announcers ever... still gives me chills

Return to New York Knicks