ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,655

Re: OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us 

Post#221 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
13 INT in his college career...big instinctual safety. We are moving to more of a zone defense with the new DC....I think you need elite athletic traits at corner....but safety smarts and instincts I take over athleticism.

i think it limits his ceiling though. hard to be an elite S in todays nfl if you aren't a good athlete.

not sure I agree with that...as a corner absolutely need that speed and athleticism (quick twitch) testing matters way more.

If I remember correctly Kenny Phillips ran a 4.5ish he wasn't a burner but he was a big safety that knew how to play the position. Another guy that comes to mind who wasn't an elite athlete but was super instinctual would be antrelle rolle.

they both ran 4.48, this guy ran 4.62, and guys today are more athletic on average than they were 15 years ago.

not sayin he can't be successful, but he strikes me as like a "safe pick". high floor low ceiling kinda guy which is fine
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,995

Post#222 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 am

reports coming in that Waller officially retired

I hope all is good with him. He just got a divorce and he has major substance issues in his paste.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#223 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 am

it's funny that malik won't speak on what he thinks of daniel jones as a QB lmao

Read on Twitter
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,140

Post#224 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am

Bringing up KP is wild considering the amount of speed that exists. A lot of good players skill sets become obsolete in the modern NFL
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#225 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am

i hope nubin shuts me up and becomes a pro bowler tho, the athletic numbers are not promising
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#226 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 am

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
i think it limits his ceiling though. hard to be an elite S in todays nfl if you aren't a good athlete.

not sure I agree with that...as a corner absolutely need that speed and athleticism (quick twitch) testing matters way more.

If I remember correctly Kenny Phillips ran a 4.5ish he wasn't a burner but he was a big safety that knew how to play the position. Another guy that comes to mind who wasn't an elite athlete but was super instinctual would be antrelle rolle.

they both ran 4.48, this guy ran 4.62, and guys today are more athletic on average than they were 15 years ago.

not sayin he can't be successful, but he strikes me as like a "safe pick". high floor low ceiling kinda guy which is fine

I don't disagree with that. Probably doesn't have a huge ceiling. But I think he also is a guy that can come in right away and start and be a good player.

There was a run on corners (which I think was also a target). But we were thin in the secondary and getting a guy that can start I can't complain.

At safety I value more of there tape and instincts more...I think there were some concerns about Kyle Hamiltons 40 year time weren't what people wanted but then he just dominated. By no means am I saying he's anywhere where the player Hamilton is but just pointing out that tap sometimes is more important than combine stuff.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#227 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am

TerrenceClarke wrote:Bringing up KP is wild considering the amount of speed that exists. A lot of good players skill sets become obsolete in the modern NFL

KP played in the 2010's its not like he played in the 80's :lol:

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#228 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:07 am

hoping Benson is available for our pick in the 3rd round

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#229 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 am

Read on Twitter

this is the type of stuff im talking about.

ROSTER

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#230 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't disagree with that. Probably doesn't have a huge ceiling. But I think he also is a guy that can come in right away and start and be a good player.

There was a run on corners (which I think was also a target). But we were thin in the secondary and getting a guy that can start I can't complain.

At safety I value more of there tape and instincts more...I think there were some concerns about Kyle Hamiltons 40 year time weren't what people wanted but then he just dominated. By no means am I saying he's anywhere where the player Hamilton is but just pointing out that tap sometimes is more important than combine stuff.

yeah but size matters and kyle hamilton is enormous. that said, he tested better than nubin as well while being a bigger dude.

i'm not mad at the pick, just tempering my expectations. probably looking at a low-end to average starter at the nfl level at best
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 am

mpharris36 wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:Bringing up KP is wild considering the amount of speed that exists. A lot of good players skill sets become obsolete in the modern NFL

KP played in the 2010's its not like he played in the 80's :lol:

Doesn’t mean whole lot has changed since then. It’s like saying the NBA is the same as it.

Last time he was good was the early 2010s let’s be really here. Past 2011 he wasn’t all that.

NFL is way faster now than a decade plus ago.

I would not want KP as my staring FS in 2024 just like I wouldn’t want 2007 Antonio Pierce as my starting MLB in 2024.

Schit has changed.

Slow safeties can be exploited in the modern NFL. He doesn’t make our defense faster and our defense was already one of the slowest in the NFL.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 838

Post#232 » by KOA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 am

For all the athleticism that Nabers supposedly has, he looks like Bogy in his highlights :lol:
Doesn't break tackles, doesn't have a burst, and doesn't have any moves to get separation off the line. Really surprised there's this much hype around him.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#233 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 am

Putting Hamilton and Nubin the same sentence is crazy. There is reason Hamilton was top 20 and this dude was picked 47.

Hamilton was considered generational as a prospect from the jump.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#234 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 am

TerrenceClarke wrote:Putting Hamilton and Nubin the same sentence is crazy. There is reason Hamilton was top 20 and this dude was picked 47.

dude I never compared them at all. I even said I am not comparing them at all just so you wouldn't make that connection.

I said it simply to state sometimes people go crazy over 40 yard times and testing. And the one position I think you can get away with some lack of athleticism and make up for it with instincts is the safety position. That is all.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#235 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 am

KOA wrote:For all the athleticism that Nabers supposedly has, he looks like Bogy in his highlights :lol:
Doesn't break tackles, doesn't have a burst, and doesn't have any moves to get separation off the line. Really surprised there's this much hype around him.

what?

Read on Twitter

Nabers is the most explosive after catch guy in the draft.

ROSTER

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#236 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 am

mpharris36 wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:Putting Hamilton and Nubin the same sentence is crazy. There is reason Hamilton was top 20 and this dude was picked 47.

dude I never compared them at all. I even said I am not comparing them at all just so you wouldn't make that connection.

I said it simply to state sometimes people go crazy over 40 yard times and testing. And the one position I think you can get away with some lack of athleticism and make up for it with instincts is the safety position. That is all.

It’s not just 40 times tho. All around he avg at best as an athlete. he also kinda weak for his size strength wise.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#237 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am

KOA wrote:For all the athleticism that Nabers supposedly has, he looks like Bogy in his highlights :lol:

doesnt break tackles, you trolling?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#238 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 am

kyle hamilton RAS btw, elite explosive numbers for his size

KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 838

Post#239 » by KOA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 am

Since when is running past a linebacker a broken tackle? Are you guys serious? :lol:
Look at someone like Wandale by comparison:

Nabers is going to be a major disappointment. Waiting for the excuse he doesn't have a QB to throw to him.
I hope I'm wrong but the tape doesn't lie.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#240 » by mpharris36 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 am

TerrenceClarke wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

It’s not just 40 times tho. All around he avg at best as an athlete. he also kinda weak for his size strength wise.

I don't disagree I think he's an avg athlete (I'm not debating that). His test score would suggest that. I'm simply saying I value tape and instincts way more for the safety position. You can put the fastest guy back there and if he doesn't know coverages and diagnoses plays quickly he will be a liability. If we are talking running back, corner, edge, receiver I am more into there combine numbers...less with offensive line and safeties...I think I want to see how those guys play more.

Its why if you have slower corner a lot of times they transition to safety because you can get by without elite athleticism.

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks