ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,921

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#221 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:I don’t like the idea of Brunson Randle and DD all trying to work the mid range. Floor would get clogged.

Maybe in some alternate universe where he was willing to come off the bench while staggering at times could in theory work.

But let’s be real - he averaged 38min per game this past year and played 42min per game in their play ins.

I still love the upgrade of DDV to Spider. D Mitch was just as good if not better on defense, still can rack up some deflections and steals like Donte. His ability to create off the dribble though is from another universe in comparison. If you do it correctly - Brunson and DM could share the floor for 22-24min and separate them in other units to keep applying offensive pressure.

Brunson, DDV, DeRozan, OG, KAT (+ Hartenstein to be able to move everyone else down a position) >>>>

I like the KAT fit but are you OK with the salary 50, 54,58, 62M over next 4 AND his injury propensity? Not as bad as Embiid but not great either
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,250

Post#222 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:I don’t like the idea of Brunson Randle and DD all trying to work the mid range. Floor would get clogged.

Maybe in some alternate universe where he was willing to come off the bench while staggering at times could in theory work.

But let’s be real - he averaged 38min per game this past year and played 42min per game in their play ins.

I still love the upgrade of DDV to Spider. D Mitch was just as good if not better on defense, still can rack up some deflections and steals like Donte. His ability to create off the dribble though is from another universe in comparison. If you do it correctly - Brunson and DM could share the floor for 22-24min and separate them in other units to keep applying offensive pressure.

Brunson, DDV, DeRozan, OG, KAT (+ Hartenstein to be able to move everyone else down a position) >>>>

I like the KAT fit but are you OK with the salary 50, 54,58, 62M over next 4 AND his injury propensity? Not as bad as Embiid but not great either

No to KAT. I truly believe that Randle will be traded this off-season or next trade deadline, however.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#223 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:36 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:I am also worried about certain stars and our culture. We might have the best culture in the NBA. I have been a big anti-Thibs guy but he is proving me wrong. The team has found players who want to play in his system and his way. I would be scared a Mitchell, Giannias, Luka etc would complain about systems schemes practices etc. Bridges would fit right in.

Bridges isn't the ideal or elite guy offensively but with his intangibles and two way game he might be a pretty close to ideal fit in Thibs system.

Wouldn't complain if we pulled Bridges off but the two most available guys this offseason seem like they will be (for now):

KAT due to that monstrous contract Minny can't afford under the new CBA and Donovan Mitchell who made it pretty clear he isn't resigning with Cleveland

Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

in that order imo. Doncic tops that list of everything goes south for Dallas though.

When you factor age, salary, injury history, system fit and finally fit with current personnel, I think the order would be quite a bit different:

1. Donovan Mitchell- Starting 2/ Back up 1 and will take all kinds of pressure and wear and tear off Brunson. Brunson is a team player and would still be alpha but also mesh very well with Spidah.
2. Bridges- close 2nd because his offensive game while good isn't elite and we need an elite scorer moreso than Bridges after the addition of OG
3. KAT- Ginormous contract size and injury propensity drop him to 3 spot here. Fit with Brunson as a stretch 5 back up 4 is phenomenal though.
4. DeRozan nice player but doesn't space the floor enough and his game is kind of redundant to Hart (although a much better mid range shooter)
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,351

Post#224 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Bridges isn't the ideal or elite guy offensively but with his intangibles and two way game he might be a pretty close to ideal fit in Thibs system.

Wouldn't complain if we pulled Bridges off but the two most available guys this offseason seem like they will be (for now):

KAT due to that monstrous contract Minny can't afford under the new CBA and Donovan Mitchell who made it pretty clear he isn't resigning with Cleveland

Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

in that order imo. Doncic tops that list of everything goes south for Dallas though.

When you factor age, salary, injury history, system fit and finally fit with current personnel, I think the order would be quite a bit different:

1. Donovan Mitchell- Starting 2/ Back up 1 and will take all kinds of pressure and wear and tear off Brunson. Brunson is a team player and would still be alpha but also mesh very well with Spidah.
2. Bridges- close 2nd because his offensive game while good isn't elite and we need an elite scorer moreso than Bridges after the addition of OG
3. KAT- Ginormous contract size and injury propensity drop him to 3 spot here. Fit with Brunson as a stretch 5 back up 4 is phenomenal though.
4. DeRozan nice player but doesn't space the floor enough and his game is kind of redundant to Hart (although a much better mid range shooter)

I agree with 1&2 for your precise reasons but not crazy about 3 & 4 id rather have pg13 than either of them
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#225 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 pm

BigShot Bojan wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

I agree with 1&2 for your precise reasons but not crazy about 3 & 4 id rather have pg13 than either of them

That's fair. I was just using the previous posters list for reference. If we are including PG13, I would definitely put PG13 over Derozan but below KAT due to age, injury history.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,174

Post#226 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm

And we are aware that these guys don't all cost the same and aren't as equally gettable right? The Knicks don't have infinite assets nor quite honestly a lot of high end assets.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,854

Post#227 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:

I’m looking at the shooting most of all and Randle’s contract will look worse soon enough. He hasn’t been healthy either.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#228 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:56 pm

sol537 wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Brunson, DDV, DeRozan, OG, KAT (+ Hartenstein to be able to move everyone else down a position) >>>>

No to KAT. I truly believe that Randle will be traded this off-season or next trade deadline, however.

If they include Randle in a trade, I don’t see who they’d go after in return other than KAT or Doncic lol
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#229 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:And we are aware that these guys don't all cost the same and aren't as equally gettable right? The Knicks don't have infinite assets nor quite honestly a lot of high end assets.

-8 FRPs over next 5 years
-9 SRPs over next 5 years
-Randle (huge asset in a star trade as normally teams don't get a guy of this caliber back)
-Bogdonavic 20M expiring
-Miles McBride 3&D on an extremely favorable deal.
-Possibly one of Achiwa or Mitch Rob if Hartenstein is re-signed

That is plenty enough ammo to get a Superstar and possibly enough to make a medium sized deal as well
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#230 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

I disagree, especially with the notion that we don’t need Bridges because of OG. Imagine having both. That’s insane. DeRozan is the second scorer and play maker we need. He’s not just a good player, he’s incredible. KAT would be an incredible fit, especially at the 5 with OG at the 4. Mitchell, however, is a nice score but another small, ball-dominant guard. He’s nowhere Bridges defensively.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

I disagree, especially with the notion that we don’t need Bridges because of OG. Imagine having both. That’s insane. DeRozan is the second scorer and play maker we need. He’s not just a good player, he’s incredible. KAT would be an incredible fit, especially at the 5 with OG at the 4. Mitchell, however, is a nice score but another small, ball-dominant guard. He’s nowhere Bridges defensively.

Mitchell is playing high level D this year much more in line with his college and 1st 2 years in NBA. Mitchell is a 2 way player and fits our system like a glove. He wants to be in NY and would likely thrive under Thibs defensively. He allows Brunson to play off ball more and gives him better spacing to operate. Yeah he'd be a GREAT addition. When Donovan is on he would be our best 3 ball shooter even better than Brunson.

Thibs is learning how to play small ball more often this year and he is seeing the positive results. Mitchell is 6'3 so a bit short for a 2 but also has a long wingspan to partially compensate.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#232 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Mitchell is playing high level D this year much more in line with his college and 1st 2 years in NBA. Mitchell is a 2 way player and fits our system like a glove. He wants to be in NY and would likely thrive under Thibs defensively. He allows Brunson to play off ball more and gives him better spacing to operate. Yeah he'd be a GREAT addition. When Donovan is on he would be our best 3 ball shooter even better than Brunson.

Thibs is learning how to play small ball more often this year and he is seeing the positive results. Mitchell is 6'3 so a bit short for a 2 but also has a long wingspan to partially compensate.

Mitchell is great, there’s no doubt about that. We do have DDV though and I’m fine with him as a shooter next to Brunson. To me DDV is a quality starter. I’d rather upgrade the wing positions. That’s all.
sol537
RealGM

Post#233 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 pm

I think more guys are going to potentially shake free this off-season.... guys are going to be looking for a change in scenery. One of Giannis, Booker, or AD may ask out. Who knows.... we'll be ready though.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,664

Post#234 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:I disagree, especially with the notion that we don’t need Bridges because of OG. Imagine having both. That’s insane. DeRozan is the second scorer and play maker we need. He’s not just a good player, he’s incredible. KAT would be an incredible fit, especially at the 5 with OG at the 4. Mitchell, however, is a nice score but another small, ball-dominant guard. He’s nowhere Bridges defensively.

Mitchell is great, there’s no doubt about that. We do have DDV though and I’m fine with him as a shooter next to Brunson. To me DDV is a quality starter. I’d rather upgrade the wing positions. That’s all.

The further you go in the playoffs the more likely you are to have flaws exposed, right now the obvious flaw is lack of secondary shot creation. We'll have to see what DDV looks like the further we advance, but as it stands the most obvious spots the upgrades would be are SG or C. Moving forward I think they're going to build the team with Josh and OG as their forwards, and use Randle + assets to get the SG or C. Obviously they'd go after Giannis if he's available so the 4 could be upgraded but I don't see that as likely as SG or C, and even C seems unlikely as the only guy that would make a ton of sense is Embiid and he's walking wounded.

Also, I was against Mitchell initially because we'd be small on the perimeter but with they've made move and with Hart and OG on the wings now they have the defensive versatility to give teams different looks and it's not like DDV is that much bigger than Mitchell. Theres less issues with that backcourt because the size to defend wings is there and Hart takes care of rebounding you'd normally get from a 4. The perfect addition to the team won't be on the market anytime soon though, the two way wing that can get 25, basically prime Paul George.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,693

Post#235 » by Wildcat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:53 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

The further you go in the playoffs the more likely you are to have flaws exposed, right now the obvious flaw is lack of secondary shot creation. We'll have to see what DDV looks like the further we advance, but as it stands the most obvious spots the upgrades would be are SG or C. Moving forward I think they're going to build the team with Josh and OG as their forwards, and use Randle + assets to get the SG or C. Obviously they'd go after Giannis if he's available so the 4 could be upgraded but I don't see that as likely as SG or C, and even C seems unlikely as the only guy that would make a ton of sense is Embiid and he's walking wounded.

Also, I was against Mitchell initially because we'd be small on the perimeter but with they've made move and with Hart and OG on the wings now they have the defensive versatility to give teams different looks and it's not like DDV is that much bigger than Mitchell. Theres less issues with that backcourt because the size to defend wings is there and Hart takes care of rebounding you'd normally get from a 4. The perfect addition to the team won't be on the market anytime soon though, the two way wing that can get 25, basically prime Paul George.

On this team, your secondary creator is Randle. Knicks just drew the short end of the stick.
sol537
RealGM

Post#236 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

While I think Randle will be shipped out inevitably... there's a possibility that we get Spida to pair with Brunson, OG, Randle, and iHart and give it a look. That would mean DDV and Hart off the bench which is perfectly fine roles for them. It also means we'd likely have to send out McBride and Mitch (or Bogs) along with a load of picks. I think the front office is ready to do it... as hard as it would be to loose a guy like McBride who is a great young player. I think the aforementioned squad puts us on the level of Boston as favorites in the East.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,197

Post#237 » by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:58 pm

sol537 wrote:I think more guys are going to potentially shake free this off-season.... guys are going to be looking for a change in scenery. One of Giannis, Booker, or AD may ask out. Who knows.... we'll be ready though.

I understand Booker's POV.

If I'm Phx and looking at the big 3... why would you trade Booker over lets say KD? He's a homegrown talent that should stay and retire in PHX. Obviously Beal is untradeable, no one should have traded for that sh.it contract.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#238 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 pm

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Mitchell is great, there’s no doubt about that. We do have DDV though and I’m fine with him as a shooter next to Brunson. To me DDV is a quality starter. I’d rather upgrade the wing positions. That’s all.

On this team, your secondary creator is Randle. Knicks just drew the short end of the stick.

I think with what we're seeing from Hart/OG at the 3 and 4, they're going to build with that in mind.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#239 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

sol537 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Mitchell is great, there’s no doubt about that. We do have DDV though and I’m fine with him as a shooter next to Brunson. To me DDV is a quality starter. I’d rather upgrade the wing positions. That’s all.

While I think Randle will be shipped out inevitably... there's a possibility that we get Spida to pair with Brunson, OG, Randle, and iHart and give it a look. That would mean DDV and Hart off the bench which is perfectly fine roles for them. It also means we'd likely have to send out McBride and Mitch (or Bogs) along with a load of picks. I think the front office is ready to do it... as hard as it would be to loose a guy like McBride who is a great young player. I think the aforementioned squad puts us on the level of Boston as favorites in the East.

There's not enough money to do that, the playoffs are also showing that depth matters.
sol537
RealGM

Post#240 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:03 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sol537 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

There's not enough money to do that, the playoffs are also showing that depth matters.

Of course there's enough money for a season or two before JB or Randle need to be extended...

Brunson, Spida, OG, Randle, iHart w/ DDV and Hart off the bench is plenty deep. Possibly the deepest team in the league... not sure what you mean.

Return to New York Knicks