ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,927

Re: Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#41 » by KnixinSix » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 am

DaGawd wrote:
cgmw wrote:Funny you mention Kawhi. Somehow I think that’s Leon’s grand plan — keep Randle, then trade for a supplemental star like Beal or maybe KAT, then make a play for Kawhi in FA.

Cap space situation gets a lil dicey after a Beal trade no?

Interestingly enough Beal and especially LaVine are a little more cost controlled than the older maxed players.

With a bit of cap ingenuity you can keep Randle (who is on an amazing contract relative to current production) , trade for one of Beal or Lavine AND sign a supermax in the off season if you can get one.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 8,116

Post#42 » by ITGM » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am

In the wise words of a beloved and venerated barber:

aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,386

Post#43 » by aggo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 am

the fact that he's imrpoved his 3pt shooting isnt what makes him special.

It's his 5asts. It's his passing and ability to mesh with anyone on the court because of it.

IDK if he's good enough as a #2 to win a championship, i think if you put a gun to my head the answer would be yes given the fact that he's still well under 30 and can continue to improve. its really clear that he's a winning player that makes his teammates better. He should get hte max from us during this offseason. If you gave him a top tier SG like Beal, Randle's numbers would get even better due to his offball movement and on ball passing to an elite shooter/playmaker.

that to me would be the pinnacle for keeping Randle. He isnt a bonafide star as in "top 10" player, but i think he would look so much better next to a topflight SF/SG.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#44 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am

nedleeds wrote:Good player on a bad team in an atrocious conference, he's not LeBron lite ... we're 14-15 in the garbage East.

If the 3 point shooting holds he could be a good 3rd or 4th best player on a competitive team. Did he finally get in shape because it's essentially a contract year would be my other concern.

Damn near every Randle take you have had has been trash, so its almost a guarantee he's a lock for goat status.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#45 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am

spree2kawhi wrote:Imagine a Devin Booker type of player wanted out. Just imagine, I know they're doing well. We've certainly got the necessary assets to get him. Now imagine them asking for RJ and picks.

Does Booker agree to come here to form a championship duo with Randle? No, and that's all you need to know.

You think Devin Booker is going to be part of a championship duo?
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#46 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am

we went from ship randle for some 2nds/caprelief to him being a lebron lite haha

this is hilarious :D

we need to stop bashing our own players and root for them!

put that man in the all star game already!! what a beast
im bout dat action boss
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,906

Post#47 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:49 am

FutureKnicksGM wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Imagine a Devin Booker type of player wanted out. Just imagine, I know they're doing well. We've certainly got the necessary assets to get him. Now imagine them asking for RJ and picks.

Does Booker agree to come here to form a championship duo with Randle? No, and that's all you need to know.

Sure. I think he's even more talented than Dwyane Wade was. He's now surrounded with one other savvy player and two good defenders in Bridges and Crowder. I don't really know how to evaluate Ayton yet. Overall, Phoenix just isn't there yet, but Booker sure is. I mean look:

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Kawhi or Giannis
Ayton

Probably win a championship this year.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#48 » by NYKAL » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Lets NOT do him like we do most of our good players. Give him his roses NOW while he's ours instead of waiting for him to go to another team to start appreciating him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,962

Post#49 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 pm

How much will everyone like Randle at 40 million per year for 5 years?
aromeoj
Senior
And1: 620

Post#50 » by aromeoj » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 pm

nedleeds wrote:Good player on a bad team in an atrocious conference, he's not LeBron lite ... we're 14-15 in the garbage East.

If the 3 point shooting holds he could be a good 3rd or 4th best player on a competitive team. Did he finally get in shape because it's essentially a contract year would be my other concern.

Please turn in your knicks fan card.

Twitter: aromeoj | Instagram: aromeoj | Sports Marketer | Sneakerhead
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,845

Post#51 » by cgmw » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:How much will everyone like Randle at 40 million per year for 5 years?

Less than people in DC like Bradley Beal because at least they drafted him.

I’m gonna enjoy this while we can. 40% from 3 is not sustainable, nor is 23 ppg longterm with RJ and IQ emerging as scorers. Jules is proving himself, that’s for damn sure, but “LeBron Lite” is hilarious (right up until the point we max him out for 5 years).

If Leon is bringing in a true All-NBA talent via FA, his window will close when it comes time to pay Julius.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#52 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:00 pm

cgmw wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:How much will everyone like Randle at 40 million per year for 5 years?

I’m gonna enjoy this while we can. 40% from 3 is not sustainable, nor is 23 ppg longterm with RJ and IQ emerging as scorers. Jules is proving himself, that’s for damn sure, but “LeBron Lite” is hilarious (right up until the point we max him out for 5 years).

I think Randle can easily be a "plus" 3 point shooter and a 20 ppg scorer of some kind.
He's always been a good passer for a big.

The question is, do the Knicks commit long term when that time is due (they should pick up his option to get another cheap year and year to decide) and how much do they commit for.

I'm not sure how much Randle can make when he signs, but he'll have been in the league like 8 years at that point and Tobias Harris was around the same years, and have a contract going from 32 to 39 million over 5.

So, 40 million per was a bit of an exaggeration. But he'll be allowed to get 30+ million.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,990

Post#53 » by dakomish23 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 pm

this thread took a negative turn :lol:

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,845

Post#54 » by cgmw » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:09 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
cgmw wrote:

I think Randle can easily be a "plus" 3 point shooter and a 20 ppg scorer of some kind.
He's always been a good passer for a big.

The question is, do the Knicks commit long term when that time is due (they should pick up his option to get another cheap year and year to decide) and how much do they commit for.

I'm not sure how much Randle can make when he signs, but he'll have been in the league like 8 years at that point and Tobias Harris was around the same years, and have a contract going from 32 to 39 million over 5.

So, 40 million per was a bit of an exaggeration. But he'll be allowed to get 30+ million.

The way Thibs is working him, it won’t be easy to sustain this production for 2 full seasons before pay day. If he makes the AS team, I would be surprised if his agents don’t negotiate an extension before next season begins.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,558

Post#55 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:

Sure. I think he's even more talented than Dwyane Wade was. He's now surrounded with one other savvy player and two good defenders in Bridges and Crowder. I don't really know how to evaluate Ayton yet. Overall, Phoenix just isn't there yet, but Booker sure is. I mean look:

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Kawhi or Giannis
Ayton

That’s fine but you’re saying to bring Booker here to be the #1 guy. He’s not winning a title as a #1 or with Randle as a #2. We need to aim higher if we want to win the big one.
Thank you, Rick Brunson.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,432

Post#56 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Randle is a Jimmy Butler level star.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#57 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:54 pm

cgmw wrote:

If Leon is bringing in a true All-NBA talent via FA, his window will close when it comes time to pay Julius.

I'm not sure it's not sustainable. Randle was a pretty hyped young player going back 6 years, but he was 19 years old, and there were questions about his ability to play smart and fully commit to defense.

Knicks will have this season and next (if they are smart) to see if he's figured it out at age 26/27.
Sometimes players do. Often it's around this age.
And the minutes aren't really a concern, as good players play minutes.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#58 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:03 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:I don't get why people talk about Randle like he's 31 or 32 years old.

Dude is 26....he's not even in his prime yet.

Yup the Knicks are benefiting from his growth as a player. Other teams weren’t as patient with him. But his skills have definitely improved. He’s a bonafied all star right now. A much better player then KP ever was.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,906

Post#59 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:You think Devin Booker is going to be part of a championship duo?

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Kawhi or Giannis
Ayton

That’s fine but you’re saying to bring Booker here to be the #1 guy. He’s not winning a title as a #1 or with Randle as a #2. We need to aim higher if we want to win the big one.

Fair enough. Randle needs to be #3. Do you start everything by signing the third wheel?
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#60 » by br7knicks » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:No one saw this coming. Melo would even admit that. I liked Julius when we got him....hated him last year. Expected more of the same this year. Low IQ spin cycle was his forte all year.

This season is definitely an eye opener. Could he be making this leap or is it feasting on a bad team? Looks to be making the leap and I am hopeful it is for real because...we usually trade players who become better elsewhere. This is a pleasant surprise. Keep it up and we pick up the option. Good place to be for a change.

yup. he is NOTHING like he was last year. so it's understandable that a lot of us have been wrong about him so far. he gave us no reason to believe he'd play like this.

i do want to see this be consistent throughout the year, though. he has, at times, reverted back to '19-20 randle and spinning all over the place when he shouldn't.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/

Return to New York Knicks