ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Would you extend thibs?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 101

Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,053

Re: Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension 

Post#61 » by Guano » Fri May 17, 2024 8:58 pm

Hold on let's hear him out on why we shouldn't reup the coach who lead us to the playoffs 2 years in a row because he ruined Carlos boozers career.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 19,352

Post#62 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 17, 2024 9:09 pm

To be fair...Knicks would be trash without Brunson. He could carry any team to the playoffs. He's an MVP level talent.

Nevertheless, what Thibs gets out of role players is quite remarkable.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,632

Post#63 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 pm

Extension? Yes.

No brainer. Continuity!
Free Palestine
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,712

Post#64 » by rajajackal » Fri May 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:To be fair...Knicks would be trash without Brunson. He could carry any team to the playoffs. He's an MVP level talent.

this team made it to the playoffs and even won a game
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,053

Post#65 » by Guano » Fri May 17, 2024 9:44 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:To be fair...Knicks would be trash without Brunson. He could carry any team to the playoffs. He's an MVP level talent.

That nevertheless is real loud
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 19,352

Post#66 » by Iron Mantis » Fri May 17, 2024 9:52 pm

rajajackal wrote:

:lol:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,635

Post#67 » by robillionaire » Fri May 17, 2024 11:04 pm

rajajackal wrote:this team made it to the playoffs and even won a game

Mitch was injured all season, nerlens erasure smh

That Atlanta team beat #1 seed Philly and had the bucks on the ropes until Trae young got injured

That was our first playoff win in a decade I love we are apparently so great now that we can turn our nose up at that baby step lol
rajajackal
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by rajajackal » Fri May 17, 2024 11:10 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
rajajackal wrote:

:lol:

ik that's how bad that lineup was hahah. imagine replacing elfrid payton with a leader at point guard who can score on all levels. now imagine he finishes top 5 in mvp votes his 2nd year with you. of *course* jb is the top reason for our leap to contender status, because at the end of the day players matter more than coaches. but when a coach is great, he matters too. if you see what he did with that sub-mid roster depending on randle and rj to have chemistry, before brunson got here, what he's done in his career, and what this current team's top players have had to say about him, it stands to reason that he is getting more out of brunson than most coaches would, even if brunson would be an elite scoring guard anywhere. i think the thibs and rick thing had a lot to do with brunson's ability to come here off of being a backup and transition into the captain role over our all star
rajajackal
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by rajajackal » Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 pm

robillionaire wrote:

That Atlanta team beat #1 seed Philly and had the bucks on the ropes until Trae young got injured

That was our first playoff win in a decade I love we are apparently so great now that we can turn our nose up at that baby step lol

my point was that thibs brought a budding randle and the leadfeets to the playoffs in his first year, to his credit
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,635

Post#70 » by robillionaire » Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

rajajackal wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

my point was that thibs brought a budding randle and the leadfeets to the playoffs in his first year, to his credit

Yeah I agree with you. and also he was coach of the year that year. We were the worst team in the league in the years leading up to that
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,372

Post#71 » by SelbyCobra » Fri May 17, 2024 11:50 pm

He's earned an extension and he deserves an extension. I still have reservation about committing to him longterm. Not only do I worry about the Thibs grind over an entire season (which this year has worked out as a net positive), but I worry about the stacking effect of multiple seasons like that over time. Basically, the hard-nosed, constant-intensity coach in any sport, who wears out their welcome and gets tuned out in a messy firing well before their contract is up, is a well known paradigm, and Thibs is like their prototype. Plus, right or wrong, players around the league in general aren't excited to play for him.

But I get re-signing him, and I don't have a leg to stand on right now to argue against it. I hope an extension works out great, and Thibs goes down in history as one of the most beloved coaches in franchise history. That pathway is clearly there to take...
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,101

Post#72 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat May 18, 2024 2:45 am

Y'all owe nedleeds an apology, add Hart to the list and this was the most predictable outcome for him. If FanDuel had a prop bet on him getting hurt I would have taken it. His minutes load was coaching malpractice, and some of you acted like it's normal for a guy to play 144 straight minutes at that intensity.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,999

Post#73 » by Adelheid » Sat May 18, 2024 3:10 am

maybe i should renege on what i said earlier...
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,422

Post#74 » by NYKat » Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 am

Remember when everyone wanted him fired during the Kemba/Fournier year ? He’s essentially had one bad year out of four. So I hope everyone remembers this thread when he has another one.

He’s done a great job with this franchise, but he will never take us to the promised land if he doesn’t start opening up his rotation and pacing this team to be able to last 4 postseason rounds with the intensity that we play at.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#75 » by nedleeds » Sat May 18, 2024 11:28 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Y'all owe nedleeds an apology, add Hart to the list and this was the most predictable outcome for him. If FanDuel had a prop bet on him getting hurt I would have taken it. His minutes load was coaching malpractice, and some of you acted like it's normal for a guy to play 144 straight minutes at that intensity.

CoInCiDence!

Usage related core injury. Feel bad for Hart playing for such a savage orc.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,193

Post#76 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat May 18, 2024 11:48 am

just a reminder, an actual sports medicine doctor doesn't feel like thibs is to blame for the injuries.
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,967

Post#77 » by spree2kawhi » Sat May 18, 2024 12:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
god shammgod wrote:hi nodope

Thibs with an extension, freed from all financial consequences, will play Brunson, OG, and iHart 48 mpg for 82 games, until their hamstrings explode and their careers are shortened.

Unhinged.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#78 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat May 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Guano wrote:Hold on let's hear him out on why we shouldn't reup the coach who lead us to the playoffs 2 years in a row because he ruined Carlos boozers career.

:lol: hes really going out like this
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,786

Post#79 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat May 18, 2024 3:59 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:just a reminder, an actual sports medicine doctor doesn't feel like thibs is to blame for the injuries.
Read on Twitter

And I’m sure there are Doctors who disagree, they just ain’t making videos.

Julius was playing a lot of minutes and it was at the end of the game and he drove a bit recklessly. Bit of bad luck, Miami and exhaustion.

Brunson was playing a ton of minutes and that opens one up to injuries. Maybe it wasn’t responsible but the injuries are beyond coincidental. Our physical style combined with high minutes and short rotations just increase the odds.

Instead of slowing this video down and trying to explain each injury away “logically”, just look at our team vs ALL others. Brunson is the only starter or are there two?

They should insert an injury clause into his new contract. First ever for a coach.
I do like him but the odds of all these injuries for the reasons above is too much to ignore. And it ain’t all on Thibs directly but that is the logical place to start. We can also look at our doctors and preventative measures we take.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#80 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat May 18, 2024 4:15 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:just a reminder, an actual sports medicine doctor doesn't feel like thibs is to blame for the injuries.
Read on Twitter

And I’m sure there are Doctors who disagree, they just ain’t making videos.

Julius was playing a lot of minutes and it was at the end of the game and he drove a bit recklessly. Bit of bad luck, Miami and exhaustion.

Brunson was playing a ton of minutes and that opens one up to injuries. Maybe it wasn’t responsible but the injuries are beyond coincidental. Our physical style combined with high minutes and short rotations just increase the odds.

Instead of slowing this video down and trying to explain each injury away “logically”, just look at our team vs ALL others. Brunson is the only starter or are there two?

They should insert an injury clause into his new contract. First ever for a coach.
I do like him but the odds of all these injuries for the reasons above is too much to ignore. And it ain’t all on Thibs directly but that is the logical place to start. We can also look at our doctors and preventative measures we take.

you won't find any sports medicine physicians disagreeing with him though. you're ignoring the actual anatomy and physiology of the body to run with fan made narratives that don't even make sense scientifically.

injuries are just on the rise in the nba in general. look at the teams that were in the post season. cavs team just missed a bunch of players against boston. clippers still weren't at full strength. luka apparently is playing with bunch of injuries. kp is still out. giannis was injured. dame was injured. jimmy butler, rozier injured. zion injured. ingram playing hurt. conley playing through an injury right now. it's not just us, which you're trying to make it seem like.

Return to New York Knicks