ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Would you extend thibs?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 101

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,808

Re: Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension 

Post#21 » by FrozenEnvelope » Fri May 17, 2024 2:01 pm

People who want Thibs fired and gone never really give us the name of their preferred replacement. Like who do they want to take over that will be better? I know some say Johnny Bryant but what says he can even be a HC? Cause Spida endorsed him? Didn't LeBum and some others endorsed Fizdale too?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,914

Post#22 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:People who want Thibs fired and gone never really give us the name of their preferred replacement. Like who do they want to take over that will be better? I know some say Johnny Bryant but what says he can even be a HC? Cause Spida endorsed him? Didn't LeBum and some others endorsed Fizdale too?

Take that for data.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,169

Post#23 » by WaltFrazier » Fri May 17, 2024 3:00 pm

Extend him then make player moves this summer based on who can play Thibs style
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,786

Post#24 » by ScienceOfLosing » Fri May 17, 2024 3:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
god shammgod wrote:hi nodope

Thibs with an extension, freed from all financial consequences, will play Brunson, OG, and iHart 48 mpg for 82 games, until their hamstrings explode and their careers are shortened.

Insurance premiums for all Knicks starters just went up and the bench players down.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,786

Post#25 » by ScienceOfLosing » Fri May 17, 2024 3:25 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:People who want Thibs fired and gone never really give us the name of their preferred replacement. Like who do they want to take over that will be better? I know some say Johnny Bryant but what says he can even be a HC? Cause Spida endorsed him? Didn't LeBum and some others endorsed Fizdale too?

I am happy with Thibs but I hope Bryant has a larger role, especially w rotation minutes.
Thibs earned this. Players probably feel more secure as well (but have dreams about playing too many minutes.)
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,594

Post#26 » by sol537 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:43 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:

I am happy with Thibs but I hope Bryant has a larger role, especially w rotation minutes.
Thibs earned this. Players probably feel more secure as well (but have dreams about playing too many minutes.)

Bryant can be groomed to replace Thibs in 4-5 years. Would be a great plan so we can keep continuity.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,472

Post#27 » by god shammgod » Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

IHart extension soon come.

Shams still trying to cope with the fact that Mitch will get dangled in a star trade. Or even a wing depth trade.

Has there ever been a rumor of this…..wait for it……………………no
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,635

Post#28 » by robillionaire » Fri May 17, 2024 3:53 pm

There’s a reason for that and it’s because many of these individuals all have something in common, and that is they are not serious about wanting to watch winning basketball. They either want to blow up and tank and don’t like him because he’s not a tank coach, or have been harassing him on behalf of rookie contract player x y or z getting more minutes or upset they got traded. Or both. Aka, focusing on a rebuild that we are clearly not in instead of recognizing this is a win now team and focusing on winning basketball

Now that’s not to say some of the criticisms of his methodology are not valid but I’m just saying I consider the ulterior motive when reading them

Hopefully with the 2 seed, 50 wins, and a potential trip to the ECF(not a sure thing yet by any means) it will shake people from the mindset and we can appreciate this coach for the miraculous job he has done with the franchise and if he ever is replaced it better be for a damn good established win now coach not someone with a career losing record like Kenny Atkinson or some Fizdale type rebuild clown like people seem to love so much

The oft repeated “he is only a regular season coach and can’t win in the playoffs” trope is looking pretty bogus right about now. Seeing as how we are currently witnessing more playoff winning than we have ever seen since the y2k virus was a thing. He’s popping a squat on nick nurse and Rick Carlisle now
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,712

Post#29 » by rajajackal » Fri May 17, 2024 3:58 pm

robillionaire wrote:

There’s a reason for that and it’s because many of these individuals all have something in common, and that is they are not serious about wanting to watch winning basketball. They either want to blow up and tank and don’t like him because he’s not a tank coach, or have been harassing him on behalf of rookie contract player x y or z getting more minutes or upset they got traded. Or both. Aka, focusing on a rebuild that we are clearly not in instead of recognizing this is a win now team and focusing on winning basketball

Now that’s not to say some of the criticisms of his methodology are not valid but I’m just saying I consider the ulterior motive when reading them

Hopefully with the 2 seed, 50 wins, and a potential trip to the ECF(not a sure thing yet by any means) it will shake people from the mindset and we can appreciate this coach for the miraculous job he has done with the franchise and if he ever is replaced it better be for a damn good established win now coach not someone with a career losing record like Kenny Atkinson or some Fizdale type rebuild clown like people seem to love so much

The oft repeated “he is only a regular season coach and can’t win in the playoffs” trope is looking pretty bogus right about now. Seeing as how we are currently witnessing more playoff winning than we have ever seen since the y2k virus was a thing

thibs is our 1A. ride or die with it. his eventual replacement should remain in the same coaching tree, whether it's someone on our bench now (i.e. bryant) or someone else from the riley lineage (spoelstra, one of his disciples, etc)
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,635

Post#30 » by robillionaire » Fri May 17, 2024 4:09 pm

rajajackal wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

The oft repeated “he is only a regular season coach and can’t win in the playoffs” trope is looking pretty bogus right about now. Seeing as how we are currently witnessing more playoff winning than we have ever seen since the y2k virus was a thing

thibs is our 1A. ride or die with it. his eventual replacement should remain in the same coaching tree, whether it's someone on our bench now (i.e. bryant) or someone else from the riley lineage (spoelstra, one of his disciples, etc)

It’s more than just the wins too it’s the whole attitude of the team, the way they play, the mentality.

He’s like king leonidas with the 300 Spartans. Of course they all got killed but they put up a damn good valiant fight. We are short handed right now but it’s a team of warriors playing against potters and sculptors
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#31 » by Gravy » Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 pm

robillionaire wrote:

The oft repeated “he is only a regular season coach and can’t win in the playoffs” trope is looking pretty bogus right about now. Seeing as how we are currently witnessing more playoff winning than we have ever seen since the y2k virus was a thing. He’s popping a squat on nick nurse and Rick Carlisle now

Fans are more excited with Carlisle turning Obi into a slightly better bench player than giving credit to Thibs for Brunson, Randle, Donte, Josh Hart, Ihart, Precious, Burks all performing far better than when we got them and leading them to the 2 seed.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#32 » by nedleeds » Fri May 17, 2024 4:21 pm

This is playing out just like Chicago, get him out. All these quality players will be hobbled by end of next year, just in time to be paid on their max deals and we'll be ruined. But he's a CAA client so it ain't happening.

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,434

Post#33 » by DaGawd » Fri May 17, 2024 4:25 pm

nedleeds wrote:This is playing out just like Chicago, get him out. All these quality players will be hobbled by end of next year, just in time to be paid on their max deals and we'll be ruined. But he's a CAA client so it ain't happening.

dunn sucks.. jimmy never suffered any major injuries under thibs
BaF
Washington Wizards
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#34 » by nedleeds » Fri May 17, 2024 4:31 pm

DaGawd wrote:
nedleeds wrote:This is playing out just like Chicago, get him out. All these quality players will be hobbled by end of next year, just in time to be paid on their max deals and we'll be ruined. But he's a CAA client so it ain't happening.

Butler was constantly injured. Sure Dunn sucks. I can pick 10 other players whose careers he's destroyed with his inability to coach in game.

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
cldbld
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#35 » by cldbld » Fri May 17, 2024 4:32 pm

DaGawd wrote:stability for a change feels so refreshing man

This the most. Thibs deserves it. And the team seems to genuinely like him, even going as far to defend him.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#36 » by DaGawd » Fri May 17, 2024 4:35 pm

nedleeds wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Butler was constantly injured. Sure Dunn sucks. I can pick 10 other players whose careers he's destroyed with his inability to coach in game.

noah was a limited center skill wise whose only option to really be effective was to play with 120% intensity each and every time he stepped on the floor, deng just got old… any thing else??
BaF
Washington Wizards
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#37 » by nedleeds » Fri May 17, 2024 4:37 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Thibs with an extension, freed from all financial consequences, will play Brunson, OG, and iHart 48 mpg for 82 games, until their hamstrings explode and their careers are shortened.

DaGawd
RealGM

Post#38 » by DaGawd » Fri May 17, 2024 4:39 pm

nedleeds wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

boozer… old.. and washed
BaF
Washington Wizards
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#39 » by nedleeds » Fri May 17, 2024 4:39 pm

DaGawd wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
DaGawd wrote:dunn sucks.. jimmy never suffered any major injuries under thibs

noah was a limited center skill wise whose only option to really be effective was to play with 120% intensity each and every time he stepped on the floor, deng just got old… any thing else??

Great analysis. Thibs played Deng 40 minutes at age 25 like he's doing to our guys, so yes old came quick for him. I'm sure it'll work out. Yes, Noah plays hard it's almost like you have a "coach" who knows his players tendencies' and makes sure they are "subbed" out when they're straining. We could even call this person a "head coach". And in games he could "make decisions".

Thibs **** sucks in game. Sucks out of time outs. Sucks at end of games. Doesn't run any offense other than give a guy the ball and move away.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#40 » by DaGawd » Fri May 17, 2024 4:42 pm

nedleeds wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Great analysis. Thibs played Deng 40 minutes at age 25 like he's doing to our guys, so yes old came quick for him. I'm sure it'll work out. Yes, Noah plays hard it's almost like you have a "coach" who knows his players tendencies' and makes sure they are "subbed" out when they're straining. We could even call this person a "head coach". And in games he could "make decisions".

Thibs **** sucks in game. Sucks out of time outs. Sucks at end of games. Doesn't run any offense other than give a guy the ball and move away.

likewise.. great analysis. this terrible 2x coach of the year has us on the verge of an eastern conference finals.. i’m gonna go with what my eyes tell me.. excellent coach
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks