ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Why is HBO

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

aluball17
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#21 » by aluball17 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:54 am

The genius of the Wire is that it doesn't overstate things ... there is a message and a social commentary with the message and that's it. The creator had 5 themes in mind when he started it

Projects
Lower working man class (longshoremen)
Politics
Education
Media

Greatest/Smartest show I've ever seen.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#22 » by StutterStep » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:38 am

joelh wrote:

If one has seen juice, oz, south central, boyz in the hood and new jack city, it's not really ground breaking or awe inspiring or 'fresh'.

Excellent post... but all of those you listed except for boyz in the hood are very far from "reality" as it relates to law enforcement; and in the case of "The Wire" the "smarts" of the criminal.

One of my favorite lines from "the wire" was when McNulty asked (paraphrase) "who the fk have I been chasing all these years" regarding Stringer Bell... and that essentially summed up the whole charade that was "the war on drugs".

For every Avon Barksdale who is out for self and war against his own kind, there are Stringer Bells who are ruthless as they come but see the drug trade as a means to the American Dream...
king_k4life
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#23 » by king_k4life » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:48 am

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Excellent post... but all of those you listed except for boyz in the hood are very far from "reality" as it relates to law enforcement; and in the case of "The Wire" the "smarts" of the criminal.

One of my favorite lines from "the wire" was when McNulty asked (paraphrase) "who the fk have I been chasing all these years" regarding Stringer Bell... and that essentially summed up the whole charade that was "the war on drugs".

For every Avon Barksdale who is out for self and war against his own kind, there are Stringer Bells who are ruthless as they come but see the drug trade as a means to the American Dream...

Can you blame him not allot of avenue's for poor black youths.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#24 » by StutterStep » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:51 am

king_k4life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Can you blame him not allot of avenue's for poor black youths.

I understand Stringer and can deal with that mentality.

But Barksdale and Omar are what we face most times...
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#25 » by KnicksScholar24 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:53 am

HellsKitchen wrote:The Wire, for some unknowable reason, does not get good ratings. It was unsure whether it would even be picked up again by HBO. As it is, they're only doing an abbreviated 10-show final season.

"The Sopranos" was just a matter of folks wanting to move on, particularly James Gandolfini.

I think we all know what that reason is.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
king_k4life
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by king_k4life » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:59 am

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand Stringer and can deal with that mentality.

But Barksdale and Omar are what we face most times...

I disagree only ignorant people want to be drug dealers.

Most want cash or another oppurtunity.

Even Avon however cold hearted he could be want cash that's it. "Cash rules everything around me ". He would do anything to secure his cash flow
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#27 » by StutterStep » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:06 am

king_k4life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I disagree only ignorant people want to be drug dealers.

Most want cash or another oppurtunity.

Even Avon however cold hearted he could be want cash that's it. "Cash rules everything around me ". He would do anything to secure his cash flow

I disagree... but your use of "ignorant" might be a broad stroke, but there are tons of people selling drugs who are very intelligent. Don't think of your cornerboys as the world's only drug dealers...

Return to New York Knicks