ImageImageImage

Rumor Alert...Andrew Bogut in the mix?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#41 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
I would be concerned about a team who isn't eager to extend a legit 7 footer and thinks of him as trade bait.

maybe they like the options at #3 more than Bogut

it's the Deal or No Deal risk. Take what you have and be happy, or risk it for better things with the potential to also do worse.
The Bucks can probably afford to take a risk since they're still looking for that franchise leader.

Whether or not the Wolves are in the same predicament depends upon one's opinion of Al Jefferson as a viable franchise leader.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#42 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I wouldn't go that far, Bogut came into the league with high expectations and so far I'd say he's performed decently, but below expectations.
I don't think expectations have anything to do with value. Regardless of whether he was expected to be the best center of all time or the worst center of all time, his value is based on being a 23 year old 14/10/3 (or 16/10 as of late) center who plays good defense.

I don't think there is a center in this draft who projects to be as good as Bogut already is. I'd put his draft value as 2.5 right now (worth more than Lopez/Mayo but less than Beasley/Rose).
14/10, respectable, not all-star worthy by a long-shot.
Bogut is the 2nd best center in the east (behind Howard, but easily ahead of Curry, Kristic, Ilgauskas, Pachulia, Haywood, Nesterovic, Perkins, etc). He'll almost certainly be an all-star next year if his performance is in line with the second half of this season.

I'd probably trade the #3 for him, but I'm not entirely sure. Definitely wouldn't add anything good to that outside of Walker's expiring.
I don't think many Bucks fans would trade him for #3. He's probably our best player, and our only player who is decent on both ends of the floor. I can't fathom trading him for the types of players available at #3 (undersized shooting guards with talent, or inefficient big men like Lopez/Jordan). Such a trade wouldn't make us a better team.

That doesn't mean that you guys should want to trade #3 for him. Maybe Mayo is a better fit for your team's direction. I can't take seriously the notion that Lopez is though. But Bogut and #8 like many here are suggesting? Insanity!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,483

Post#43 » by Blame Rasho » Fri May 23, 2008 8:13 pm

I do think that Bogut would be a great "fit" here in Minny with Jefferson, I am just kinda surprised that he would be considered trade bait if indeed what is being said is true.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#44 » by 4ho5ive » Fri May 23, 2008 8:39 pm

I like how most Bucks fans arent looking at it from our perspective, aside from adamcz above, nobody is really playing devils advocate here. We are just a bunch of crazy Wolves fans I guess.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#45 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:I do think that Bogut would be a great "fit" here in Minny with Jefferson, I am just kinda surprised that he would be considered trade bait if indeed what is being said is true.
I doubt he is being considered trade bait. Common belief over at the Bucks board is that Bogut is the least available player followed by Yi and Sessions. Everyone else is readily available.

For what it's worth, I would be happy to trade everything we've got except for what I mentioned above for your #3 pick. For instance, Redd/Villanueva/#37 to Clippers for #7, and then #7 + #8 for your pick. Not saying it's the right move for you guys - just insight into how I value Bogut in relation to the rest of our assets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#46 » by Bernman » Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:I do think that Bogut would be a great "fit" here in Minny with Jefferson, I am just kinda surprised that he would be considered trade bait if indeed what is being said is true.

Therefore................it's an erroneous report. Think about where this rumour started.

Bogut is the least tradeable player on the Bucks because of two reasons. #1: he's the Bucks' best player when factoring in position. #2: His value is probably lower than it should be among some GM's because they don't realize that even though he's been in the league 3 years, there are skills he's exhibited elsewhere that inexplicably haven't been translated yet, i.e.: jumper. Therefore the Bucks' would be better off keeping him and banking on him improving even more. If he doesn't improve even an ounce, then he'll still have value in the future.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Boguts a 18-10 Young 7ft Center that is one of the best passing centers in the NBA and a very good shot blocker. Hes a good character guy and plays offense and defense. Also runs the floor as good as any PF or Center. Bogut has played with crapy players who dont pass, chuck up shots all game along and give no effort.

I have really come around to Bogut this last season, and I ripped on him before as much as anyone. With every player theres a chance he could be a bust. You know what your getting with Bogut, over what you will get with Rose, Beasley, Mayo, and Lopez who I wouldnt draft Lopez period.

Bogut is worth the #3 pick in my opinon. Im split on if I would trade Bogut for the #3 pick. Just because I love how Rookies dont make anythign unlike the NFL and Bogut is gonna have to get a nice contract soon.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,182

Post#48 » by shrink » Fri May 23, 2008 10:37 pm

A couple things:

1. The fact that needs an extension next summer is a HUGE thing that affects value. MIL fans are saying that Bogut alone is going to be more productive than the #3 pick PLUS an $8 mil free agent of our choosing.

Thanks tekkenlaw and Blame Rasho for mentioning this .. its something MIL fans should address.

2. Please stop comparing Bogut to Lopez. If you've read any of the other threads or recent reports, if you want to follow this line of reasoning, compare Bogut to Mayo. Mayo fans like him more than Lopez because he has superstar potential which Lopez, and I will also add BOGUT do not have. I am not trying to knock Bogut -- he's a really nice eastern conference center, particularly the last three months, and a valuable player.

Right now, Bogut is a better player than Mayo or Lopez, but the age and the contracts, I would rather have Mayo or Lopez over Bogut. Lopez can put up numbers that mirror Boguts first three seasons, imo, and I'm a Mayo fan.
shrink
RealGM

Post#49 » by shrink » Fri May 23, 2008 10:40 pm

As other MIL posters have said, Bogut is the best player on the Bucks. However, would you buy season tickets to watch a team who's best player is Bogut? With the #3, I think they get Mayo and hope over the next four years he becomes a superstar that brings in the fans/advertising revenue.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#50 » by Winter Wonder » Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Bogut + 8 for 3 + filler doesn't happen unless something is crazily wrong in Milwaukee. Bogut has about the value of the 3 himself maybe 4, but more likely 3. That said if the deal was Bogut (who, as mentioned before, would be an All Star next year I am guessing) for Jaric (backs any other position Milwaukee is trading - 1/2/3) and the number 3, the value is pretty much right on.

I would be on the fence with that though. Bogut is a legit 5 with minimal question marks (maybe help def., maybe). Mayo has a higher ceiling though, but we would be getting out of Jaric's contract early and not loose an expiring... We would just have to extend Bogut though, which would eat up a bunch of that cap space. Hard to say if we should. Am thinking we would though due to difficulting in finding a very good 5 like Bogut, who I think is better and will continue to be better than Lopez (not that I don't like B. Lo. either)

If there was a way to work the 8 in for more pieces (expiring/McCants/one fo the FA's or RFA's) it would make dealing the 3 much easier to swallow. Without figuring that out, it may be too hard for the fanbase even if the value is there.
shrink
RealGM

Post#51 » by shrink » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 pm

adamcz wrote: ... his value is based on being a 23 year old 14/10/3 (or 16/10 as of late) center who plays good defense.

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Boguts a 18-10 Young 7ft Center that is one of the best passing centers in the NBA and a very good shot blocker.

Geeze, if his numbers go up this fast, all on one page, we better make the deal today, because he could be 29/16 by Sunday!
shrink
RealGM

Post#52 » by shrink » Fri May 23, 2008 10:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:. So why would Milwaukee give up #3 for that draft position and throw in another lottery pick, when they know Bogut would be drafted at #3 in this draft in the first place?

I agree he would be drafted third this year, but that demonstrates he'd be worth far less than the third pick, because the real #3 pick would cost $17.5 mil over the next four years, while Bogut would cost about $40 mil, with a Dalembert-sized, less than max contract on him.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#53 » by deeney0 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Living in Wisconsin, I watch more Milwaukee basketball than any team besides the Wolves. I'm not a Bogut fan, I think he is overrated, especially on D. But I would still do #3 for Bogut and #8, take Alexander with 8 (assuming Randolph is gone), and go with Foye/Brewer/Alexander/Jefferson/Bogut. I would like that very much.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,295

Post#54 » by andyhop » Fri May 23, 2008 10:59 pm

If Bogut played the good defence that he is been credited with here he would be worth the #3 pick ,but in reality he doesn't.

Just because he is blocking a few shots for the first time in his career and not playing abysmal defence this year doeesn't make him a good defensive player.

In many ways he would be a downgrade defensively from Al which tells you the level his defence is on.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#55 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:59 pm

shrink wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Geeze, if his numbers go up this fast, all on one page, we better make the deal today, because he could be 29/16 by Sunday!

Boguts gonna be a 18-10 guy next season and probly stay around there for many seasons to come. Hes not a superstar and prob never will be but he is gonna be a allstar center in years to come.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#56 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I would want Brewer and Gnomes if the Wolves wanted the #8 pick with Bogut.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#57 » by deeney0 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:21 pm

If it costs Brewer, I'd keep three and take Mayo.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#58 » by the_bruce » Fri May 23, 2008 11:27 pm

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:I would want Brewer and Gnomes if the Wolves wanted the #8 pick with Bogut.

Hmm...that value is probably correct, but I'm uh not sure MN would give up brewer. Middle ground is probably in there somewhere Gomes + MIA pick + BOS Pick or 2nd + walker or buckner expiring for a player you hate? Simmons?

I do think I'd pull the deal if randolph slips through to #8

Bogut\Al\Randolph\McCants\Foye
shrink
RealGM

Post#59 » by shrink » Fri May 23, 2008 11:31 pm

If you really love Bogut, keep the #3, and offer bogut a max deal next year, and dare MIL to match.

Why do we need to have him this year?
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by Frozen316 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:27 am

You can have our gnomes though :E

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves