ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,568

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#441 » by Domejandro » Fri May 3, 2024 6:06 pm

jpatrick wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:It would have been pretty cool if Minnesota packaged a player with a Second Round Draft Pick so the team could push back the looming Repater-Tax problem that will implode the team, should they win a Championship.

Change should to when and we are on the same page.

I thought it was too late. Our chance was at the deadline, we didn’t make a move, so we’re in the tax for this year. Which means next year, when we’ll obviously be in the tax, we’ll be repeaters. I could be wrong though.

I think that they are referring to changing the "should" preceding "they win a Championship" to "when". :lol:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,655

Post#442 » by winforlose » Fri May 3, 2024 6:06 pm

Jaden would cost a superstar package. Again, he is 23 and belongs in first team all NBA defense. On top of that he dropped 25 and 18 in two of four playoff games in the first round and had at least ten, 20+ point performances during the regular season. He is not in his prime and showing flashes of massive upside. For the Kings to approach the Wolves about him they would be talking about a ton of picks plus someone like Fox or Murray. They wouldn’t do it at that price, and we wouldn’t ask for anything less. Jaden’s contract looks expensive now, but will quickly turn into a huge value deal. Players like him are rate as can be, and we are likely to keep him and Ant for the next 10 years. It would take a massive overpay to pry Jaden away from the Wolves, and even then, I am not sure we would do it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#443 » by winforlose » Fri May 3, 2024 6:08 pm

Domejandro wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Change should to when and we are on the same page.

I thought it was too late. Our chance was at the deadline, we didn’t make a move, so we’re in the tax for this year. Which means next year, when we’ll obviously be in the tax, we’ll be repeaters. I could be wrong though.

I think that they are referring to changing the "should" preceding "they win a Championship" to "when". :lol:

BINGO!!!!!!!!
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 373

Post#444 » by gandlogo » Fri May 3, 2024 6:13 pm

Jkam31 wrote:I figured Jaden wouldn’t be available just saw that article and my eyes lit up being he’s the perfect with with our guys as well

Hopefully the front office for the Wolves is smart enough that every player not named Anthony Edwards is available for the right deal.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,568

Post#445 » by Domejandro » Fri May 3, 2024 6:30 pm

winforlose wrote:Jaden would cost a superstar package. Again, he is 23 and belongs in first team all NBA defense. On top of that he dropped 25 and 18 in two of four playoff games in the first round and had at least ten, 20+ point performances during the regular season. He is not in his prime and showing flashes of massive upside. For the Kings to approach the Wolves about him they would be talking about a ton of picks plus someone like Fox or Murray. They wouldn’t do it at that price, and we wouldn’t ask for anything less. Jaden’s contract looks expensive now, but will quickly turn into a huge value deal. Players like him are rate as can be, and we are likely to keep him and Ant for the next 10 years. It would take a massive overpay to pry Jaden away from the Wolves, and even then, I am not sure we would do it.

For what it is worth, I would more-so put his value in the Phoenix Suns Mikal Bridges category. Clearly would take a substantial value package and doesn't make sense directionally to trade, but there are absolutely scenarios where he could be a centerpiece (along with value) in a Kevin Durant to Phoenix style of trade.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#446 » by winforlose » Fri May 3, 2024 6:46 pm

Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:Jaden would cost a superstar package. Again, he is 23 and belongs in first team all NBA defense. On top of that he dropped 25 and 18 in two of four playoff games in the first round and had at least ten, 20+ point performances during the regular season. He is not in his prime and showing flashes of massive upside. For the Kings to approach the Wolves about him they would be talking about a ton of picks plus someone like Fox or Murray. They wouldn’t do it at that price, and we wouldn’t ask for anything less. Jaden’s contract looks expensive now, but will quickly turn into a huge value deal. Players like him are rate as can be, and we are likely to keep him and Ant for the next 10 years. It would take a massive overpay to pry Jaden away from the Wolves, and even then, I am not sure we would do it.

For what it is worth, I would more-so put his value in the Phoenix Suns Mikal Bridges category. Clearly would take a substantial value package and doesn't make sense directionally to trade, but there are absolutely scenarios where he could be a centerpiece (along with value) in a Kevin Durant to Phoenix style of trade.

Bridges was the subject of trade rumors and cost multiple firsts and a young player. The Nets still said no. Jaden is potentially better than Bridges, so I don’t know.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#447 » by jpatrick » Fri May 3, 2024 6:58 pm

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Damn. Completely missed it. In that case, I agree.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,176

Post#448 » by shrink » Sat May 4, 2024 12:05 am

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

BINGO!!!!!!!!

For those that aren’t regulars, I will clarify.

Mike Conley has a bonus if we make the finals that would put us over the lux, and start the repeater clock. It would also cost the owners their share of the lux taxes from the other teams that pay taxes this year.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#449 » by winforlose » Sat May 4, 2024 12:10 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I think that they are referring to changing the "should" preceding "they win a Championship" to "when". :lol:

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Mike Conley has a bonus if we make the finals that would put us over the lux, and start the repeater clock. It would also cost the owners their share of the lux taxes from the other teams that pay taxes this year.

Also worth noting the repeater tax is a huge multiplier that will explode an already high tax bill, and is triggered when you are in the luxury tax 3 out of the last 4 years. So if we enter in 24-25, then we stay in 25-26, we are repeaters in 26-27. Had we traded Wendell to another team, that would not be possible until 25-26 and we would not become repeaters until 27-28.

For those who want to learn more

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/what-nba-luxury-tax-explained-penalties-high-spending-teams/p1sspaedfsmsit20rqewn9d7#:~:text=The%20penalties%20are%20also%20more%20severe%20for%20teams,line%3A%20%242.75%20per%20dollar%20%28up%20to%20%2413.75%20million%29
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,041

Post#450 » by wolves_89 » Sat May 4, 2024 12:38 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I think that they are referring to changing the "should" preceding "they win a Championship" to "when". :lol:

BINGO!!!!!!!!

I think just making the finals leaves us under the luxury tax line. It's only if we win the championship that the Conley bonus would push it over the line.

Read on Twitter
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#451 » by TimberKat » Sat May 4, 2024 12:38 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BINGO!!!!!!!!

Also worth noting the repeater tax is a huge multiplier that will explode an already high tax bill, and is triggered when you are in the luxury tax 3 out of the last 4 years. So if we enter in 24-25, then we stay in 25-26, we are repeaters in 26-27. Had we traded Wendell to another team, that would not be possible until 25-26 and we would not become repeaters until 27-28.

For those who want to learn more

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/what-nba-luxury-tax-explained-penalties-high-spending-teams/p1sspaedfsmsit20rqewn9d7#:~:text=The%20penalties%20are%20also%20more%20severe%20for%20teams,line%3A%20%242.75%20per%20dollar%20%28up%20to%20%2413.75%20million%29

We should drop off after 25-26(Gobert's contract is done), unless Naz becomes a superstar and we want to sign him. It's going to be expensive if we get to the finals this year but worth it. Remember do it for Conley if nothing else, he has a big bonus coming :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,176

Post#452 » by shrink » Sat May 4, 2024 1:27 am

wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BINGO!!!!!!!!

I think just making the finals leaves us under the luxury tax line. It's only if we win the championship that the Conley bonus would push it over the line.

Read on Twitter

Great find! I never saw that before! Spotrac has it as “ULTBE: $1,500,000 (>-60% playoff games + finals)”

I trust Marks more.

FWIW, after the Marks tweet, we converted Garza for $127,683 and signed TJ Warren for $220,543. Still the same result .. it will take both of Conley’s bonuses to hit to put us over. But if we win the finals, I simply won’t care!
winforlose
General Manager

Post#453 » by winforlose » Sat May 4, 2024 2:21 am

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:For those that aren’t regulars, I will clarify.

Read on Twitter

Great find! I never saw that before! Spotrac has it as “ULTBE: $1,500,000 (>-60% playoff games + finals)”

I trust Marks more.

FWIW, after the Marks tweet, we converted Garza for $127,683 and signed TJ Warren for $220,543. Still the same result .. it will take both of Conley’s bonuses to hit to put us over. But if we win the finals, I simply won’t care!

True. But when we want to 3 peat you might ;)
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#454 » by frankenwolf » Wed May 8, 2024 7:27 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I trust Marks more.

True. But when we want to 3 peat you might ;)

Yeah, but think of all the revenue the Wolves will get when we three peat!! :D :D
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#455 » by KATKlownFeet » Wed May 8, 2024 11:25 pm

This roster looks great to me and I don't want to trade any of our rotation guys. I have no interest in Buddy Hield. I'd much rather keep KA and MM. We need to resign them. We also need to resign NAW. Screw the Second apron. If Glen is willing to pay the luxury tax, then we can keep everyone we want. I like our young talent like Leonard Miller, Luka Garza, Daishen Nix, Jaylen Clark and so I'm fine with we trade at least one of this year's picks for a future pick or picks. If we do draft someone, I'd go for a raw, young lengthy international guy who most resembles Gobert and let him play overseas.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#456 » by winforlose » Wed May 8, 2024 11:29 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:This roster looks great to me and I don't want to trade any of our rotation guys. I have no interest in Buddy Hield. I'd much rather keep KA and MM. We need to resign them. We also need to resign NAW. I like our young talent like Leonard Miller, Luka Garza, Daishen Nix, Jaylen Clark and so I'm fine with we trade at least one of this year's picks for a future pick or picks. If we do draft someone, I'd go for a raw, young lengthy international guy who most resembles Gobert and let him play overseas.

Draft and stash doesn’t always work out. Spagnolo is the latest example but far from the only one. Also, guys who you draft from overseas don’t always adjust well to the NBA, Leandro Bolmaro is a good example of that. I think the Wolves are gonna draft a big with the hope of him eventually replacing Karl. One way or another he will be traded to avoid repeater 2nd apron penalties. Rudy will probably take a pay cut to extend (security over high end value,) and Morris will be here long term while Kyle is extended and traded next year. The core of the team for the Ant window is Ant, Jaden, Naz, and NAW. We need to find players to fit around that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,295

Post#457 » by Klomp » Thu May 9, 2024 12:36 am

winforlose wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:This roster looks great to me and I don't want to trade any of our rotation guys. I have no interest in Buddy Hield. I'd much rather keep KA and MM. We need to resign them. We also need to resign NAW. I like our young talent like Leonard Miller, Luka Garza, Daishen Nix, Jaylen Clark and so I'm fine with we trade at least one of this year's picks for a future pick or picks. If we do draft someone, I'd go for a raw, young lengthy international guy who most resembles Gobert and let him play overseas.

Draft and stash doesn’t always work out. Spagnolo is the latest example but far from the only one. Also, guys who you draft from overseas don’t always adjust well to the NBA, Leandro Bolmaro is a good example of that. I think the Wolves are gonna draft a big with the hope of him eventually replacing Karl. One way or another he will be traded to avoid repeater 2nd apron penalties. Rudy will probably take a pay cut to extend (security over high end value,) and Morris will be here long term while Kyle is extended and traded next year. The core of the team for the Ant window is Ant, Jaden, Naz, and NAW. We need to find players to fit around that.

Keep in mind, Tim Connelly is a big believer in drafting guys "one year early" to maximize value as he's said that for Minott, Miller, Clark. This doesn't just mean that the player will be better in a year, but could also mean he has more roster clarity in a year as well.

I truly believe that Josh Minott was drafted and signed to a Gupta special knowing in part that Kyle Anderson would be a 2024 free agent.
I think that Leonard Miller was drafted knowing that there would be financial uncertainty around the big man position this summer.
I think Jaylen Clark was drafted knowing not only that he needed a year of recovery, but also that Nickeil Alexander-Walker is set to be an unrestricted free agent a year from now.
At the time, I think Wendell Moore was drafted in part because of the contract situation involving D'Angelo Russell.

First of all, I think we'll continue to see a defensive identity at the core of the guys we bring in. As people around the team have said, this is now an identity of Timberwolves Culture. If we commit to the tax and the apron, I think we'll lean perimeter and length. And I think we'll be keeping an eye out for a point guard.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,041

Post#458 » by wolves_89 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:47 am

I'm curious to see if the massive new media rights deal will impact the salary cap next season. The old deal runs thru 2024-25, but if they have locked in a huge increase will they bump next season's cap jump to 10% instead of the 4% they are currently estimating?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,978

Post#459 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2024 12:59 am

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:For those that aren’t regulars, I will clarify.

Read on Twitter

I trust Marks more.

If I'm reading this right when we win the title we will end up 40K into the luxury tax and there's nothing we can do about it.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#460 » by KATKlownFeet » Thu May 9, 2024 1:08 am

winforlose wrote:

I'm just saying the Wolves don't need much if anything and If the Wolves make the finals, I think they can sign a lot of veterans who want to chase a title at minimum or close to minimum.
Next year, I'd like to see:
Rudy, KAT, Naz, Jaden, Garza, Leonard, SloMo, NAW, Ant, Mike, Morris, JMac, Clark, Daishen are 14 guys I'd like to retain and so if we resign SloMo and Morris, there won't be many holes to fill. Add a ring chaser or a rookie to the 15th spot. If there is someone with good potential as a rim protector, that's where I think our biggest need is as someone to develop as an eventual Rudy replacement.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves