ImageImageImage

Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,031

Re: Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M) 

Post#41 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:44 pm

Folklore wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Folklore wrote:
...But why?

Seriously. Memphis just drafted a player who's his replacement so Kyle can walk. We draft Moore to backup Jaden right? because we want more minutes for Nowel so he can't play sg.

After looking more into Kyle, he's just a taller Josh to me. And now we have someone else eating minutes at the 3 and 4. I'm not sure why there's so many people down on Naz but we signed him overweight and he slimmed down. the man wants to get better. Naz is not a 5 (Naz and Kyle same height, Naz is heavier, maybe) and we used him as one because we didn't have a real Center and we still don't. Naz and Kessler together will work great.

Comparing him to Josh shows you don't know what you're talking about.

If Josh was taller he'd have the same impact.

Okogie is about his wingspan and athleticism. Anderson is a smart player and a pretty mediocre athlete. Good playmaker, only wish he was a stronger 3 point shooter, and maybe slightly better rebounder.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,088

Post#42 » by MN7725 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 5:49 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
Folklore wrote:
shangrila wrote:Comparing him to Josh shows you don't know what you're talking about.

If Josh was taller he'd have the same impact.

Okogie is about his wingspan and athleticism. Anderson is a smart player and a pretty mediocre athlete. Good playmaker, only wish he was a stronger 3 point shooter, and maybe slightly better rebounder.

yeah, Anderson has been used as (secondary) point forward a lot in his career

Okogie has next to zero ball skills, can barely attack a closeout
swenjj
Senior
And1: 25

Post#43 » by swenjj » Fri Jul 1, 2022 8:55 pm

The Kyle signing makes a bit more sense now trading out Vanderbilt..with gobert it seems towns is now full time power forward and slo mo his backup
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,477

Post#44 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jul 3, 2022 11:30 am

I can't stand Kyle Anderson, I know he has good BBIQ and the defensive metrics say he's supposed to be good on that end, I just never understood why teams keep giving him MLE deals he's so limited athletically and offensively.

Not excited to have another skinny SF spending time at the 4.
Maybe Minott will eventually become another Vanderbilt but with some offensive skills because his athleticism jumps off the screen when I watch him on film.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,031

Post#45 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:58 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Not excited to have another skinny SF spending time at the 4.

Anderson is 15 pounds heavier than Vando.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#46 » by jscott » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:24 pm

swenjj wrote:The Kyle signing makes a bit more sense now trading out Vanderbilt..with gobert it seems towns is now full time power forward and slo mo his backup

I dunno.

I mean, I guess I see Gobert starting at C but one of the two (Rudy/Karl) will always be on the court playing C.

I think Anderson will play with Towns and Ant. Gobert would then play with McDaniels and DLo. Definitely not all the time or anything but I see a lot of playing styles that work together in those pairings.

Then we run back the starting line up to close games out.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#47 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:31 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:Not excited to have another skinny SF spending time at the 4.

Anderson is 15 pounds heavier than Vando.

He's a legit, but slightly smallish PF.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,306

Post#48 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 8, 2022 7:08 pm

I believe someone wondered if Edwards might change his number to 5 after Beasley was dealt.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:55 pm

Watching some videos of Kyle I think the 215 weight was probably when he entered the league. I think he goes 230 now.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#50 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:14 pm

younggunsmn wrote:I can't stand Kyle Anderson, I know he has good BBIQ and the defensive metrics say he's supposed to be good on that end, I just never understood why teams keep giving him MLE deals he's so limited athletically and offensively.

Not excited to have another skinny SF spending time at the 4.
Maybe Minott will eventually become another Vanderbilt but with some offensive skills because his athleticism jumps off the screen when I watch him on film.
Are you sure you got your players right? He was on a rookie contract with the spurs, and a 4 year deal with the Griz. So, I don't know all those "teams" you speak of. :o

You don't have to like him, but lets stick with facts.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,477

Post#51 » by younggunsmn » Mon Aug 1, 2022 6:36 am

Grizz and now Wolves give him MLE money for 6 total seasons. >>>>>>> Facts
I don't see the value, he's too limited a player to be devoting 20+ minutes to and not a natural 4.
Reading comprehension that difficult?
Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Kind of a weak shot to take at me.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,670

Post#52 » by winforlose » Mon Aug 1, 2022 6:57 am

younggunsmn wrote:Grizz and now Wolves give him MLE money for 6 total seasons. >>>>>>> Facts
I don't see the value, he's too limited a player to be devoting 20+ minutes to and not a natural 4.

I have no particular stance in this argument as I don’t know enough about Anderson’s game to speak intelligently. That said I do have a question. Is 6’9 230lb with a 7’2 wingspan really undersized at PF? I mean Naz plays center and he is 6’9. V8 was listed at 6’9 214 and he was too skinny for PF, but is 230 also too skinny? Lastly, has his performance suffered significantly since transitioning to PF the last two years?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,747

Post#53 » by minimus » Sat Aug 6, 2022 8:40 am

Is Anderson our version of glue guy Joe Ingles? Tough, smart, versatile big wing who can be connector both in offense and defense. I really believe he might end up our best FA acquisition of last ten years

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,063

Post#54 » by Nick K » Sat Aug 6, 2022 7:35 pm

minimus wrote:Is Anderson our version of glue guy Joe Ingles? Tough, smart, versatile big wing who can be connector both in offense and defense. I really believe he might end up our best FA acquisition of last ten years

I am very excited about the KA addition. He's a smart player with a mid range game and a great passer. He can defend too. He should fit seamlessly.

i loved Vando but he would never become a true starter on a good team. He was so limited. KA is 180 degrees the opposite.

That's part of the reason I loved the Rudy trade so much. We didn't give up one starting player. The only guy we gave up that I'll miss is Kessler who I think has a shot to be kind of Rudy like and a good pro.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,596

Post#55 » by Note30 » Sat Aug 6, 2022 11:15 pm

minimus wrote:Is Anderson our version of glue guy Joe Ingles? Tough, smart, versatile big wing who can be connector both in offense and defense. I really believe he might end up our best FA acquisition of last ten years

Yeah he's a mix between Diaw and Ingles.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,670

Post#56 » by winforlose » Sun Aug 7, 2022 6:09 am

Nick K wrote:

I am very excited about the KA addition. He's a smart player with a mid range game and a great passer. He can defend too. He should fit seamlessly.

i loved Vando but he would never become a true starter on a good team. He was so limited. KA is 180 degrees the opposite.

That's part of the reason I loved the Rudy trade so much. We didn't give up one starting player. The only guy we gave up that I'll miss is Kessler who I think has a shot to be kind of Rudy like and a good pro.

I still really don’t know how to feel about trading Kessler away. On the one hand, Rudy and KAT would take so many minutes at C he wouldn’t really develop (the Naz Reid problem.) Also, most NBA rookies don’t contribute that much in year one, especially on a team looking for a home court playoff seeding. Even in year 2 or 3 Kessler might not have had enough of an opportunity to truly develop. On the other hand, Kessler has enough draw backs that he might not ever develop into a starting level player. The pick was not popular at 22 with many arguing he was a 2nd round player. Moreover, the fact that we didn’t see him in SL or anywhere since means we just don’t know what we gave up. Some people had high hopes for Lea and we know how that turned out. Overall, I find it hard to mourn what we lost in WK when I think about just how much better Rudy will be in the same role :)

The real tragedy of this offseason is the loss of the Star Wars nickname lineup, compounded by the loss of Benz. Literally the entire lineup is gone. Lea, Obi-One Okogie, The Vandolorian, and Skywalker are all on either the Jazz or the Suns. TC should retire the Star Wars night in honor/recognition of this monumental tragedy ;) ;) ;)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,306

Post#57 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 8, 2022 4:54 pm

For a moment, I was disheartened about only having Anderson locked in for two years. However, thinking about it, it was actually a sneaky-smart move. In two years, I don't think Anderson's top dollar will shift drastically. It will probably remain around MLE value (he's currently signed for slightly below). If it was three or four years, we would have hit that cap spike.

Just for some number context:
The current MLE starts at $10,489,261. The 2023-24 MLE is projected to start at $11,281,968. I wish I had the 2024-25 projection for when Anderson will be a free agent (my rough guess would be around $12 million), but using the cap spike number in the capology thread would put the 2025-26 MLE starting at $14,505,387. $3-4 million could be significant when building the most talent-filled roster around our core group, so getting Anderson or someone else locked in early could be significant.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#58 » by minimus » Tue Aug 9, 2022 1:37 pm

I am sure that this is some kind of statical marvel, but Kyle Anderson is in all four MEM lineups with best defensive rating last season, including most used Adams-Anderson-Melton-Morant-Williams with DRtg 91(!!!)

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612763&sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&CF=GP*G*10
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#59 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Aug 9, 2022 6:52 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Grizz and now Wolves give him MLE money for 6 total seasons. >>>>>>> Facts

Nobody's taking a shot at you. you said ALL these TEAMS giving him the MLE.

Not true, He was on a ROOKIE deal from the Spurs, they didn't extend him After the Spurs declined to match the offer sheet, Anderson signed a four-year contract worth $37.2 million with Memphis Grizzlies.Kyle Anderson's Net Worth and Salary
As of 2019, the NBA star has an estimated net worth of over $8 million. Currently, under a 4 year / $37,156,300 contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, he will earn a base salary of $8,641,000, while carrying a cap hit of $8,641,000 and a dead cap value of $37,156,300.

So correct me if I can read, but that's TWO teams, and on long term contracts. We signed him to a TWO year deal, not the MLE. Kyle Anderson has signed a two-year, $18 million deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves in free agency, according to Adrian Wojnarowski.
minimus
RealGM

Post#60 » by minimus » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 am

Another thing that makes me intrigued by Anderson signing is possibility of using him as freelancer around free throw line that will allow us use different variations of 2-1-2 / 3-2 zone. I expect Anderson and MCD to fill this role, suffocating PoA, tunnelling opponents to left or right side of paint, protecting mid of the paint.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves