ImageImageImage

Rumor Alert...Andrew Bogut in the mix?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Rumor Alert...Andrew Bogut in the mix? 

Post#101 » by Johnny Newman » Mon May 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Tor wrote:Take it as you will, but someone on the another forum who is known to have sources within the Target Center has revealed some recent rumors. Again, take it as you will...

# Big Chief Patterned Sweater LOVES Lopez. If he shows solid outside shooting, they think that compliments Al. Ummmm, hello? Mark Blount comparisons in play!
# Miami is doing the same thing the Wolves are, using Mayo steam as a bargaining chip
# There are "big names" being thrown around as guys who are get-able using the 2nd or 3rd pick (One is a Nugget stud who many of you have mentioned but I want no part of, although it's still fascinating; one is an Aussie Buck who could also be intriguing)
# Miami definitely hopes the Wolves try to move up, and it's no secret they're dreaming about our extra upcoming first rounders. This sounded unlikely from the MN side.
# A trade is a real possibility, with up or down being possible. From the rest of the conversation, I'd guess down was more likely (and significantly more disappointing to me)
# If we trade for a big we'd target someone like Gallinari, Bayless, or possibly the Indiana guy I want ZERO part of
# Like we all suspected, trading both 2nds would be ideal
# FINALLY what I consider good news... If we stand pat and get Mayo, they're optimistic a decent center like "The Other" Lopez or even Hibbert, and maybe a nice PG could be available with our second round picks

Interesting stuff if true. What would everyone think of trading #3 for Bogut and the #8 pick? We'd land our center and have the opportunity to grab a decent player such as Gallinari or Augustine.

But in the end, I'd still want Mayo and role with a center in round 2.
Thats source is garbage. Were not giving up Bogut and #8 for #3. Bogut alone is worth a top 2. But Bogut is gonna breakout this season. He's not on the block anyway. This draft is weak after Beasily and Mayo.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Post#102 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Bogut is not worth a top #2, the third pick is fair value.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#103 » by wolves_fan_82au » Mon May 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Bogut worth a top 2 pick??????? :banghead: :rofl:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,641

Post#104 » by Klomp » Mon May 26, 2008 7:31 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:Bogut worth a top 2 pick??????? :banghead: :rofl:

Coming from an Aussie, thats gotta tell Milwaukee fans something.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#105 » by wolves_fan_82au » Mon May 26, 2008 8:09 pm

klomp44 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

well Bogut isnt someone i would build a franchise around

he might be a good 2nd player though
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 819

Post#106 » by SSUBluesman » Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 am

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I completely disagree. Bogut is 1 quality player, the third pick and cap space is the possibility for 2. Beyond that, you can trade cap space easier than you can trade expiring contracts.

And it's also the possibility for 0, which is much more plausible than your 2 given the history and shape of the free agent market. How come there are more KG/Gasol trades (based around expiring) than there are J-Rich deals? Maybe I'm wrong, as I'm recalling more expiring deals versus cap space deals.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#107 » by the_bruce » Tue May 27, 2008 3:32 am

SSUBluesman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
And it's also the possibility for 0, which is much more plausible than your 2 given the history and shape of the free agent market. How come there are more KG/Gasol trades (based around expiring) than there are J-Rich deals? Maybe I'm wrong, as I'm recalling more expiring deals versus cap space deals.

The logical reason there are more trades is because as long as you can match salary and provide incentive you can trade for a player.

Fre agency requires that the the player be a free agent in a given year, AND the signing team has cap space. Cap space will be more valuable in the coming years in order to sign free agents with many star players coming up in the next 2-3 years.

Cap space is going to become much more valuable in the coming years.
This is a factor many posters don't consider, like the NYK posters for example?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,843

Post#108 » by Ayt » Tue May 27, 2008 4:16 am

klomp44 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think you'd find many Bucks fans that think Bogut is worth a top 2 pick.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#109 » by younggunsmn » Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 am

Don't get me wrong, I think Bogut is a great player and I'd love to see him on the Wolves, but IMO he is not worth a top 5 pick in this draft, maybe in a weaker one.

Service time is a factor when you will soon be faced with paying him near the max or losing him as a free agent, having a top 5 pick locked up for 4 years with at a reasonable rate with a RFA matching rights 5th year is pretty damn valuable.

When you have the choice of paying, say Brook Lopez 15 million over 4 years at #5, or bogut 50-60 million, that is a big difference in cash for a minimal gain in talent. Talentwise, he is still not better than Rose, Beasley, and Mayo, no question.

If we were sitting at 5 or later and our draft options were lopez or galinari, I wouldn't hesitate to do something along the lines of jaric+5 for bogut, but I can't see why Milwaukee would do it. Bogut is a nice piece for them, they just are too loaded with chuckers and no tough guys other than bogut, they need another badass rebounder to put next to him.

The possibility of sending a future pick + some expirings to the Knicks for their pick and a bad contract or 2 intrigues me. If anyone has what they're rumored to be looking into trading the #6 for, we do.

But how much and whose contract would we have to eat? Zach Randolph is by far the worst at 3 more years and 48 milllion. Curry's isn't as bad at 3 years and 31 million, but he's a terrible player and a constant injury risk. Jared Jefferies has 3 years and 19.3 million. those are their 3 worst deals. Would Walker+Miami pick+31 for curry+6 be enough? and could we get glen to swallow it?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#110 » by karch34 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I think you summed it up perfectly younggunsmn.
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#111 » by Jimmy103 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:51 am

theGreatRC wrote:So this guy is a reliable source?

The Miami thing hoping Wolves try to move up is interesting, but as he said, sounds unlikely.

I don't understand this whole Miami claiming to be taking Mayo in order to get Minnesota to trade up.

Wouldn't Minnesota RATHER Derrick Rose?

Let Foye play a more natural position at the 2
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#112 » by revprodeji » Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 pm

I think MN is cool with either. An important thing to remember with the Miami trade is either we underpay them with

McCants or their 1st back
or
Overpay with Jefferson or Foye.

I do not see either happening. I say let Miami bluff. If we get Beasley/ROse/Mayo/lopez then I will be happy.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves