Loss in 7
No votes

Total votes: 35

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,668

Re: WCF Discussion 

Post#41 » by Note30 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:36 pm

Guest84 wrote:I also heard a stat that Kyrie is 14-0 in close out games. Interesting

Exactly why you don't underestimate him. Dude has a reputation for hitting big shots. Kobe-esque. I don't want any close games with the Mavs.

10pt leads all the way.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,716

Post#42 » by guest81 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:16 pm

Guest84 wrote:I also heard a stat that Kyrie is 14-0 in close out games. Interesting

Wolves have never lost a game 7
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Note30 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

guest81 wrote:

Wolves have never lost a game 7

Wolves haven't played 14 game 7's.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#44 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 5:38 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
One can be a fan and still be objective. No need to call out people trying to vote with their brains and not with their hearts.

We've been a far superior team all year. Being objective means picking the Wolves in 5 or 6. Only way somebody picks the Mavs is if they have a vibe.

We've been better during the last 20 games of the season on both offense and defense. Before that is irrelevant since it was a different team.

:lol: :noway: :crazy: :wavefinger: :rofl: :clown: :naaa:
At least I know one of the people in our Wolves poll picking the Mavs is a Mavs fan. The other 3 probably are also.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 5:50 pm

Colbinii wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
We've been better during the last 20 games of the season on both offense and defense. Before that is irrelevant since it was a different team.

Please do not bring a different perspective to our rainbows and unicorns thread - regardless of if it's based on logic and reason. :wink:

Except it isn't based in logic. It is based on listening to a talk show or podcast citing that statistic without actually analyzing themselves.

Did UglyBugBall even know Karl-Anthony Towns missed 18 of the final 20 games and was a shell of himself for the other 2 games? I highly doubt it, since the Talk Show or Podcast didn't mention that.

I also doubt his source didn't mention how easy Dallas' schedule is/was.

I don't even know if he meant they were better than us the final 20 games or better than they had been in the first 62. Ugly could you clarify?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#46 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 5:51 pm

Note30 wrote:

Exactly why you don't underestimate him. Dude has a reputation for hitting big shots. Kobe-esque. I don't want any close games with the Mavs.

10pt leads all the way.

What has Kyrie accomplished without LeBron? He's been on nothing but super teams.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Note30 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Note30 wrote:

10pt leads all the way.

What has Kyrie accomplished without LeBron? He's been on nothing but super teams.

He's not the main guy anymore. Just like under LeBron he's now under Luka. He's dangerous and we'd be foolish to underestimate him.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 113

Post#48 » by cmoss84 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:58 pm

Funny KG side story if anyone cares to enjoy. I'm from MN but moved north of LA in 2006. Have a friend whose daughter plays club volleyball with KGs daughter in LA. He said KG showed up one particular occasion and went to go say hi to him. Needless to say he is not an NBA fan...went up to him and said "hey! You're Kevin...Durant!" Said KG hasn't talked to him since.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,716

Post#49 » by guest81 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:00 pm

Kyrie is exactly the type of player the wolves shut down. Also it's not like he was exactly dominating last round. Luka is always going to be a problem but the wolves just took down the best playoff performer in nba history. Pj Washington is just MPJ light and we saw what the wolves did to him.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Note30 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:04 pm

cmoss84 wrote:Funny KG side story if anyone cares to enjoy. I'm from MN but moved north of LA in 2006. Have a friend whose daughter plays club volleyball with KGs daughter in LA. He said KG showed up one particular occasion and went to go say hi to him. Needless to say he is not an NBA fan...went up to him and said "hey! You're Kevin...Durant!" Said KG hasn't talked to him since.

Ouch.
UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect
And1: 809

Post#51 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 21, 2024 6:14 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
Please do not bring a different perspective to our rainbows and unicorns thread - regardless of if it's based on logic and reason. :wink:

Except it isn't based in logic. It is based on listening to a talk show or podcast citing that statistic without actually analyzing themselves.

Did UglyBugBall even know Karl-Anthony Towns missed 18 of the final 20 games and was a shell of himself for the other 2 games? I highly doubt it, since the Talk Show or Podcast didn't mention that.

I don't even know if he meant they were better than us the final 20 games or better than they had been in the first 62. Ugly could you clarify?

Technically we were better than than wolves in defensive rating in the final 20. Now if you make me pick who has the better defense, I'll give the slight edge to the wolves anyway, although I think it's close to a wash. I think offensively though the Mavericks have a higher ceiling with Luka and Kyrie which tips the series for me in their favor.

I won't be shocked if the wolves win. They're a good team although I have the Mavs winning. But I think wolves fans are grossly underestimating the Mavericks here. The Mavericks are much better than the Sun's were, and I think are better when the nuggets were.
UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 21, 2024 6:17 pm

Colbinii wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

I think the schedule is pretty irrelevant at this point after Dallas continued to prove themselves by dismantling the Clippers and the number one seed thunder. They lost game one in both series and then proceeded to go 4-1 in each series after that.

I'm not saying that the wolves might not be better defensively. They better well be, because if the defense is anywhere similar they're in big trouble against a Lukai offense.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,558

Post#53 » by BlacJacMac » Tue May 21, 2024 6:23 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

I think the schedule is pretty irrelevant at this point after Dallas continued to prove themselves by dismantling the Clippers and the number one seed thunder. They lost game one in both series and then proceeded to go 4-1 in each series after that.

I'm not saying that the wolves might not be better defensively. The better well be, because of the defense is anywhere similar they're in big trouble

The Clippers were paper tigers all season - struggling to beat +.500 teams (even when they actually did have their best player ...)

OKC was a great regular season team that isn't built for the Playoffs. The closest things they have to "bigs" are 6'3 Dort and 200 pound Chet.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#54 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Note30 wrote:

10pt leads all the way.

He's not the main guy anymore. Just like under LeBron he's now under Luka. He's dangerous and we'd be foolish to underestimate him.

We'd be foolish to underestimate Kyrie and we'd be foolish to underestimate any other player on their team. We'd be foolish to overestimate any player on their team. We should correctly estimate them all.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#55 » by life_saver » Tue May 21, 2024 6:52 pm

I mean Clippers without Kawhi is a nothing special team...I doubt they would have even made playoffs with Kawhi. It's not like Mavs swept them either...they lost 2 games to the Clippers team that was missing Kawhi. Kawhi tried to play through injury for couple of games but it was obvious he was no where even close to being fit.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 6:55 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Technically we were better than than wolves in defensive rating in the final 20. Now if you make me pick who has the better defense, I'll give the slight edge to the wolves anyway, although I think it's close to a wash. I think offensively though the Mavericks have a higher ceiling with Luka and Kyrie which tips the series for me in their favor.

I won't be shocked if the wolves win. They're a good team although I have the Mavs winning. But I think wolves fans are grossly underestimating the Mavericks here. The Mavericks are much better than the Sun's were, and I think are better when the nuggets were.

Delusions of grandeur for a 5th seed team. If the Mavs had better numbers than the Wolves minus KAT during a quarter of the season I'm happy for them. Denver and Minnesota were the 2nd and 3rd seeded teams because they are both better than the Mavs. I give the Mavs props for pulling out the win against OKC, but they are small and have zero playoff experience. OKC could have easily won that series, but they came up one basket short in game 6.
UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 21, 2024 6:59 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I'm not saying that the wolves might not be better defensively. The better well be, because of the defense is anywhere similar they're in big trouble

The Clippers were paper tigers all season - struggling to beat +.500 teams (even when they actually did have their best player ...)

OKC was a great regular season team that isn't built for the Playoffs. The closest things they have to "bigs" are 6'3 Dort and 200 pound Chet.

Look I'm not saying the wolves suck. The Wolves are better than the clippers or OKC. But I think because of the win over Denver, there is an idea among wolves fans that the hardest part is already over. I'm saying the hardest part is coming tomorrow.

Mavs fans acknowledge the wolves will be their biggest test yet. Wolves fans think they'll win in 4-5 games instead. It's a miscalculation. The mavs fans and players are coming ready. The Wolves fans, if not players, are coming with their guard down.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,558

Post#58 » by BlacJacMac » Tue May 21, 2024 7:03 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

Look I'm not saying the wolves suck. The Wolves are better than the clippers or OKC. But I think because of the win over Denver, there is an idea among wolves fans that the hardest part is already over. I'm saying the hardest part is coming tomorrow.

Mavs fans acknowledge the wolves will be their biggest test yet. Wolves fans think they'll win in 4-5 games instead. It's a miscalculation. The mavs fans and players are coming ready. The Wolves fans, if not players, are coming with their guard down.

You're putting WAY too much stock into what fans think.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Note30 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:04 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

Kind of my point as well, until the job is finished don't rest. No complacency, no mercy.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,232

Post#60 » by Domejandro » Tue May 21, 2024 7:09 pm

My prediction is that the Minnesota Timberwolves will win in six, but I could see it being five.

Biggest fear is foul trouble. If Jaden McDaniels can't stay disciplined defensively, Minnesota could end up in SERIOUS trouble.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves