ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#661 » by wolves_89 » Mon May 20, 2024 9:12 pm

Coming into the season I thought it would take getting to the Western Conference Finals to keep the top 7 together for 2024-25. Now that we're here, I'm hoping that this group gets at least 2 shots at a title (this season and next season).
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,781

Post#662 » by TimberKat » Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 pm

Note30 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Note30 wrote:
I know this sounds insane, but would he actually mesh with the team first defense first culture here?

Yeah, he loves to win. He does everything needed to win. That's why he went to 9 Finals in 10 years.

Ehhhhh.

Yes, including make sure teaming up with other super stars. He could be the Wolves' next super aging point guard
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 406

Post#663 » by Wolves21 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:16 am

wolves_89 wrote:Coming into the season I thought it would take getting to the Western Conference Finals to keep the top 7 together for 2024-25. Now that we're here, I'm hoping that this group gets at least 2 shots at a title (this season and next season).

I've been in the camp for years to trade Kat & McDaniels to cut cost and to find a legit running mate for Edwards but fully agree with now running back this core for next season baring Kyle Anderson who's a total bum.

Also time for our draft picks in ' '22 & '23 to add something to our bench.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#664 » by KATKlownFeet » Tue May 21, 2024 3:24 am

life_saver wrote:
Note30 wrote:
life_saver wrote:I just don't understand Tyus obsession...have people looked at his playoff shooting numbers ? Teams won't respect his shot and dude shot like crap in playoffs despite being left open. If you are looking for a long term PG option, it has to be someone who atleast is somewhat of a scoring threat beyond perimeter, someone whose shooting is respected by opponents.

Used to be on the team, is a Minnesota native, doesn't turn over the ball. I understand the obsession. It's not rational.

I do like Tyus but not as a starter but more of a backup PG. But with Wolves current cap situation, I just don't think it makes sense to spend $15M+ on a backup PG who is not a reliable 3 pt scoring threat

Tyus shot over 41 percent from 3s and over 48 percent overall. That's better than Ant's numbers and his assist to turnover ratio is elite at better than 7 to 1. Tyus is the most gettable veteran point guard available that won't cost us a core player. Maybe, I'd like DeJounte Murray better but he'd cost us one of our core players. Just give Washington a first rounder this year and matching salaries for Tyus and he's automatically our second best bench player and can run the offense when old man Mike can't play. You raise a valid point that his salary might price us out of the market and that may be true depending on how much demand he draws, but if the demand isn't as great as expected or he wants to take a home town discount to chase a ring, Tyus could be a possibility for us.
KATKlownFeet
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#665 » by KATKlownFeet » Tue May 21, 2024 4:46 am

I hope we resign Monte Morris on the cheap to give him a longer look to integrate more with the team. He was a good backup for Denver and played well in spot starts. Some cheap free-agent point guard options that might be worth a look include Kris Dunn, Luke Kennard and Dennis Smith
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#666 » by wolves_89 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:08 am

KATKlownFeet wrote:I hope we resign Monte Morris on the cheap to give him a longer look to integrate more with the team. He was a good backup for Denver and played well in spot starts. Some cheap free-agent point guard options that might be worth a look include Kris Dunn, Luke Kennard and Dennis Smith

It would be great if we could bring back Morris, but even a bargain deal of $8M for next year will likely cost over $25M in luxury tax. My guess is we look at the ring chaser type of vet PG (Chris Paul would be pretty nice), or shop in the low end PG market like the Dunn/Smith suggestions.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,419

Post#667 » by shrink » Tue May 21, 2024 7:39 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:I hope we resign Monte Morris on the cheap to give him a longer look to integrate more with the team. He was a good backup for Denver and played well in spot starts. Some cheap free-agent point guard options that might be worth a look include Kris Dunn, Luke Kennard and Dennis Smith

It would be great if we could bring back Morris, but even a bargain deal of $8M for next year will likely cost over $25M in luxury tax. My guess is we look at the ring chaser type of vet PG (Chris Paul would be pretty nice), or shop in the low end PG market like the Dunn/Smith suggestions.

I agree with both posts. Maybe we can get Morris on an underpriced deal since he hasn’t been able to be healthy? Even if we had to pay $8 (and I’m hoping for even less), but he gets healthy and he’s worth $12, he can become a trade asset if we can get by without him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,419

Post#668 » by shrink » Tue May 21, 2024 7:44 pm

I think it’s clear that our bench has been a huge benefit, but that is simply part of the NBA’s circle of life. Teams need star talent to compete, and those stars often end up on max deals. Those max deals make it very expensive to hold onto talented role players, and PHX and DEN clearly demonstrated that. This year we had a huge advantage that Ant and Jaden were starters on rookie scale deals, so we were able to give new deals to McDaniels, Naz and NAW, while other teams had to let their players walk.

Enjoy it now. Press for the championship. Eventually we will be on the other side of those extensions, and we’ll have to make lots of hard choices too.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,641

Post#669 » by Klomp » Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 pm

My gut feeling is we might be able to get Monte on a NAW-like deal. The NBA world has seen very little of him, so I think he'll fly significantly under the radar.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#670 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 am

Klomp wrote:My gut feeling is we might be able to get Monte on a NAW-like deal. The NBA world has seen very little of him, so I think he'll fly significantly under the radar.

DEN replaced Bruce Brown and Monte Morris with Braun and Reggie Jackson. DEN did this even if they won championship, I would expect MIN doing the same: replacing MLE level veterans with either young players or veterans on min. If Monte accepts 10/2 (NAW, Reggie Jackson type of deal) I would be more than happy.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,437

Post#671 » by Colbinii » Wed May 22, 2024 11:36 am

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:My gut feeling is we might be able to get Monte on a NAW-like deal. The NBA world has seen very little of him, so I think he'll fly significantly under the radar.

DEN replaced Bruce Brown and Monte Morris with Braun and Reggie Jackson. DEN did this even if they won championship, I would expect MIN doing the same: replacing MLE level veterans with either young players or veterans on min. If Monte accepts 10/2 (NAW, Reggie Jackson type of deal) I would be more than happy.

Monte Morris isn't flying under the radar. Every team knows about him, come on Klomp.

The fact of the matter is he has been injured often and has some clear limitations.

That said, if he wants a bigger role, he should 100% go to Phoenix on the Tax MLE. He could start for Phoenix.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#672 » by Colbinii » Wed May 22, 2024 11:36 am

minimus wrote:

Monte Morris isn't flying under the radar. Every team knows about him, come on Klomp.

The fact of the matter is he has been injured often and has some clear limitations.

That said, if he wants a bigger role, he should 100% go to Phoenix on the Tax MLE. He could start for Phoenix.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#673 » by winforlose » Wed May 22, 2024 11:48 am

Colbinii wrote:
minimus wrote:

I suspect Monte will stick around. He has a first hand look at how close this locker room is. He knows Mike is turning 37 and can do the math. Monte will be back in shape next year and look a lot more like he used to. Plus he has a relationship with TC (who I doubt leaves if we win a ring,) and has probably made a lot of friends here as well.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#674 » by Colbinii » Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 pm

winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
minimus wrote:

I suspect Monte will stick around. He has a first hand look at how close this locker room is. He knows Mike is turning 37 and can do the math. Monte will be back in shape next year and look a lot more like he used to. Plus he has a relationship with TC (who I doubt leaves if we win a ring,) and has probably made a lot of friends here as well.

I mean, maybe, but at the end of the day if he wants to play 25-35 MPG and start, he should go to Phoenix.

You don't know what Monte wants. I don't know what Monte wants.

What we do know is if he wants minutes and a clear role, he should go to Phoenix. If he wants what you said, then he will likely stay.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
minimus
RealGM

Post#675 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2024 1:57 pm

winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
minimus wrote:

I get the idea, Monte should pursue new contract. However, PHO is over 2nd appron after Grayson Allen contract extension. They dont have MLE. The fact that Monte is in MIN, after he played for WAS and DET gives me hope that he and Connelly find way to agree to new reasonable contract. Plus we have Bird Rights, right?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#676 » by Colbinii » Wed May 22, 2024 2:00 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I get the idea, Monte should pursue new contract. However, PHO is over 2nd appron after Grayson Allen contract extension. They dont have MLE. The fact that Monte is in MIN, after he played for WAS and DET gives me hope that he and Connelly find way to agree to new reasonable contract. Plus we have Bird Rights, right?

Why does Bird Rights matter here?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
minimus
RealGM

Post#677 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2024 2:08 pm

Colbinii wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Why does Bird Rights matter here?

To re-sign Monte?
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#678 » by TimberKat » Fri May 24, 2024 1:50 pm

There was a trade suggestion of basically JMcD for Garland. If that is what it takes, I will throw in this year's #1 too. Interesting but I don't think it will happen
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,255

Post#679 » by Neeva » Fri May 24, 2024 3:03 pm

Have you seen Garland play lately??
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#680 » by TimberKat » Fri May 24, 2024 5:59 pm

Neeva wrote:Have you seen Garland play lately??

Yes, I am Cavs fan too. He has been down but I believe he will get back to near all star form in the future. Still if just for the price of JMcD, I take it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves