ImageImage

My offseason plan (Redd for Howard trade)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#261 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri May 2, 2008 12:58 am

No thanks on Howard, unless we're trading Mo or Villanueva for him. Redd is a very good piece to our puzzle.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#262 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 2, 2008 1:03 am

We better get our bid in fast. Some Raptor fans actually think spinal injury impaired TJ will net them Howard.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#263 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri May 2, 2008 1:13 am

I think the thing that should really sell the deal to anyone who isn't convinced is this.

Is $17M Redd as good as $10M Josh Howard and $7M free agent?

Now, I know thats simplifying it a bit, but it's really what it boils down to. We'd have Stackhouse for a year (unless he would be retraded at some point or bought out) then we would have financial flexibility.

Now, I'm no capologist, but Bogut is about to be extended to the tune of probably $10M give or take. Something on this team has got to give.

Unless Hammond can work some magic with Mo, Simmons, and Gadz we need to shed some salary while trying to get better.

Redd for Howard does that.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#264 » by worthlessBucks » Fri May 2, 2008 1:24 am

smooth 'lil balla wrote:No thanks on Howard, unless we're trading Mo or Villanueva for him. Redd is a very good piece to our old puzzle.

And what a fine puzzle it was, I think the entire league had it solved.

Go Bucks!
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#265 » by fam3381 » Fri May 2, 2008 1:47 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Unless Hammond can work some magic with Mo, Simmons, and Gadz we need to shed some salary while trying to get better.

To me it's a similar deal in principle to the Mo/Haslem trade. You take one guy who's talented but doesn't look like a good fit and has a long-term deal. Then you trade him for a guy who can address an area of need while costing less in the long-term. You still have holes, but at least financially you're making major progress without killing your talent level.

In an objective ranking of players, it's quite possible you'd take Redd over Howard and Mo over Haslem. But unfortunately things are a lot more complicated than that at this point.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#266 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri May 2, 2008 12:44 pm

The easy thing to do is blame your most high profile player and highest paid player for all the problems on your team. That's easy. The hard thing to do is to really focus on what the problems are.

Michael Redd is not the problem. Unless we can deal him for a few proven players, i see no point in moving him for one player who has an admitted drug problem (usage, for a professional athlete, is a problem whether you want to believe it or not), who's skills have declined over the past two years, and who looks to be playing without all effort. This move will make us worse.

If we were to trade Redd for a player and salary cap relief where we actually know who we are going to get and how he'll fit in on the team and make us better, i'm all for it.

But for now, i'd rather keep his salary and his skills. We all intend to get back to the playoffs. If you don't have a guy who can score in the playoffs, you can't win. Josh Howard is not the answer.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#267 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 2, 2008 1:34 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:(usage, for a professional athlete, is a problem whether you want to believe it or not).
Isn't offseason consumption of alcohol a bigger problem though? I believe we may have players who do that. Didn't someone post a picture of Michael Redd's wedding, with champaigne being served?

So we'd trade one drug user for another. No net gain or loss.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#268 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri May 2, 2008 2:33 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Isn't offseason consumption of alcohol a bigger problem though? I believe we may have players who do that. Didn't someone post a picture of Michael Redd's wedding, with champaigne being served?

So we'd trade one drug user for another. No net gain or loss.

Well Marijuana affects the lungs, but i don't really want to get into a debate about that. Yes, drinking is a problem as well and should be curbed by professional athletes. If Michael Redd admitted to binge drinking throughout the offseason i'd say we have a problem. But champagne at a wedding? Come on, that's a total reach to now call Michael Redd a drug user. In fact, it's ridiculous.

The total disregard for the law by Howard should also not go unnoticed. Yea, maybe he doesn't agree with the law, but he then should be stupid enough to tell the world he could care less about it. I don't want the guy on our team. I just don't see the upside.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#269 » by fam3381 » Fri May 2, 2008 2:59 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:The total disregard for the law by Howard should also not go unnoticed. Yea, maybe he doesn't agree with the law, but he then should be stupid enough to tell the world he could care less about it. I don't want the guy on our team. I just don't see the upside.

As someone who favors the trade, I agree that it's certainly concerning Howard timed this so poorly. Ironically, if he didn't say anything then he'd probably be tougher to get as well, so it's kind of a catch-22. Though this isn't even the first time this has come up...he said something similar a year ago except no one seemed to notice. Clearly he has to learn a lesson from this, and we don't know if he will. But he is considered a pretty thoughtful guy in general and it's not like he previously had a rep for being a cancer or whatever.

In the end it's all about tradeoffs. The upside is salary relief and a very good wingman who seems to mesh better with Skiles' style of play (Howard is fairly close to what Deng gave Skiles in Chicago). I prefer trading Mo to Redd just because it seems like Mo has alienated himself from people in a way that Redd hasn't. But I think Redd brings so little outside of scoring that you have to move him if you can get close to equal talent and salary relief at the same time.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#270 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:02 pm

So we'd trade one drug user for another. No net gain or loss

I'm going to assume this is a joke. At least I hope it is.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#271 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 2, 2008 3:11 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:Come on, that's a total reach to now call Michael Redd a drug user. In fact, it's ridiculous.
You're being ridiculous. Alcohol is a very strong drug. By objective metrics it's more dangerous and addictive than marijuana or LSD. How can someone use that - responsibly or otherwise - and not be a drug user? Seems like Redd is a responsible drug user. I don't know whether Howard is the same, but I supect he is, given his generally excellent level of play.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#272 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:12 pm

You're being ridiculous. Alcohol is a very strong drug. By objective metrics it's more dangerous and addictive than marijuana or LSD. How can someone use that - responsibly or otherwise - and not be a drug user? Seems like Redd is a responsible drug user. I don't know whether Howard is the same, but I supect he is, given his generally excellent level of play.

:rofl:
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#273 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri May 2, 2008 3:19 pm

OK. I agree. (i bet you argue with that too).
ahagen87
Junior
And1: 4

Post#274 » by ahagen87 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:35 pm

:rofl: :banghead: :crazy:

WOW...thats all i have to say is WOW...i hope your joking to call Redd a drug user because he had champaign at his wedding is ridiculous. Tell me what wedding doesn't have champaign served at it, its a celebration drink for a time for celebration such as a wedding. Now if he got completely tanked ok then you have a point but to say you saw a picture where it was served and then call him a drug used is just ignorant!
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#275 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 2, 2008 3:39 pm

He should have served marijuana out of concern for his guests' long-term health.
ahagen87
Junior

Post#276 » by ahagen87 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:40 pm

adamcz wrote:He should have served marijuana out of concern for his guests' long-term health.

WOW how ignorant are you
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#277 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:41 pm

ahagen87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :banghead: :crazy:

WOW...thats all i have to say is WOW...i hope your joking to call Redd a drug user because he had champaign at his wedding is ridiculous. Tell me what wedding doesn't have champaign served at it, its a celebration drink for a time for celebration such as a wedding. Now if he got completely tanked ok then you have a point but to say you saw a picture where it was served and then call him a drug used is just ignorant!

It really is one of the most amazingly out of this world takes I've seen. Anyone who drinks socially is a "drug user". Great way to classify people.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri May 2, 2008 3:42 pm

Luke, you're being ridiculous.

Now excuse me while I go do some LSD, responsibly of course.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#279 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri May 2, 2008 3:43 pm

I just checked with Josh Howard, and he only smokes pot socially.
ahagen87
Junior

Post#280 » by ahagen87 » Fri May 2, 2008 3:44 pm

Last time i checked pot was illegal and alcohol when consumed the right way is not..maybe you should go back to school and learn a few things because obviously it did you no good the first time

Return to Milwaukee Bucks