ImageImage

My offseason plan (Redd for Howard trade)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#21 » by smooth 'lil balla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 pm

although i like the trade, Howard isn't as good as many seem to think. He's not the defensive player he was earlier in his career, and he's more of a jump shooter than anything else. This is why i'm sure most dallas fans love this deal.

In all honesty I would prefer to keep Redd as a very solid complimentary piece to a good team, kind of how Dallas would view him if they were to obtain him.

We're building around Bogut and Yi, there's not doubt about that, but that doesn't mean Redd can't be along for the ride. He's got plenty of very good years left in the tank.
DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#22 » by DPGBucks » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:27 pm

when Dallas is bounced in round 1 again you can be sure there will be changes.

fixed
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#23 » by europa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Something to keep in mind with regard to Howard/Stackhouse for Redd: Stackhouse's contract expires at the end of the season so for him to be included in the trade it would have to be a S&T. I'm not sure he'd sign off on a deal that traded him to Milwaukee. Just a guess.
Nothing will not break me.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#24 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 pm

europa wrote:Stackhouse's contract expires at the end of the season so for him to be included in the trade it would have to be a S&T. I'm not sure he'd sign off on a deal that traded him to Milwaukee. Just a guess.

Stackhouse is signed through 08/09 ($7.0 mm) with an NG'ed 09/10 ($7.25 mm) according to shamsports. Howard is owed $22 million over the next two years, then has a $12.3 mm option for 10/11. No S/T would be necessary.

Europa, were you looking at Hoopshype? They will leave stuff blank if they don't have the info...I find shamsports much better.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... ericks.jsp
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#25 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:50 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:You guys don't want Conley. He's gonna end up closer to TJ Ford than Chris Paul, in which case, might as well stick with Ramon.

You guys want an athletic SF? How about CV to Philly for Rodney Carney?

I agree on Conley...

I like CV for Carney...Phily is just about the perfect place for Villanueva, and Carney is expendable with Young...Carney would bring much needed athleticism to the swing...
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
sbless08
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by sbless08 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Howard just posted 20 points 20 rebounds in last 2 playoff losses. Getting Howard would be the beast we need! BYE BYE REDD!!! :clap:
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#27 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:although i like the trade, Howard isn't as good as many seem to think. He's not the defensive player he was earlier in his career, and he's more of a jump shooter than anything else. This is why i'm sure most dallas fans love this deal.

In all honesty I would prefer to keep Redd as a very solid complimentary piece to a good team, kind of how Dallas would view him if they were to obtain him.

We're building around Bogut and Yi, there's not doubt about that, but that doesn't mean Redd can't be along for the ride. He's got plenty of very good years left in the tank.

I am one of the boards biggest proponents of keeping Redd. Mainly because at this point all that is available for him is a collection of crap contracts and downgraded talent.

If Cuban were ready to part ways with Howard for Redd, it would be the height of stupidity to turn down that deal.

Howard is infinitely better at defense than Redd. Howard is younger, a better athlete, better size for the position. We could probably put him in at SG for us, when he mainly plays SF for the Mavs.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#28 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

What would be enough from the Hawks (outside of JJ) to land Redd?
fam3381
General Manager

Post#29 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:03 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:In all honesty I would prefer to keep Redd as a very solid complimentary piece to a good team, kind of how Dallas would view him if they were to obtain him.

But I really question whether Redd can ever be that guy here. He's been the face of the franchise for so long and as the max guy it just seems like he doesn't know how to change his role. Which is understandable, because he's our best scorer and wants to live up to the tag of being our best player.

I agree he could be a great second (or even third) banana, but I don't think he knows how to do that here. I think he needs a change of scenery, and getting a guy as talented as Howard in return is a lot better than simply pulling a salary dump. It also helps us in terms of the luxury tax possibility in 09/10 since Stackhouse is expiring next year.

I know there's a tendency to take the grass (pun intended) is always greener perspective, but Howard does a lot of things well, is two years younger and makes less money. I think that makes him an ideal building block compared to Redd, who brings more baggage given his past here.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#30 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:03 pm

tontoz wrote:What would be enough from the Hawks (outside of JJ) to land Redd?

Josh Smith
europa
RealGM

Post#31 » by europa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm

fam3381 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Europa, were you looking at Hoopshype? They will leave stuff blank if they don't have the info...I find shamsports much better.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... ericks.jsp

I was. Thanks for the clarification and the link. Much appreciated.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#32 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Why would the Hawks even want Redd? Smith and Childress are FAs, but I would probably take Marvin + Claxton/Law to make the salaries work. You can guess how much I want to keep Redd...
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#33 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Bibby and Horford

for

Redd and Villanueva and 2008 1st round pick.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#34 » by Chapter29 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Great offseason. Not as good as landing Rose, but I like it.
Giannis
is
UponUs
fam3381
General Manager

Post#35 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm

FYI, here's some background on Howard's marijuana habit that was referred to in the thread on the Mavs board.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2e27c.html

Entering last season's playoffs, the ESPN.com blog TrueHoop asked Howard whether he slipped to No. 29 in the 2003 NBA draft because teams were concerned that he had a marijuana problem.

Howard responded that "a lot of people have that problem" and speculated that players selected ahead of him also smoked pot. He said it shouldn't have affected his draft status.

Asked whether he caught any flak for that interview, Howard said no. When asked to quantify the extent of his use, he said he got "a little crazy" in high school but uses it "less" now and never during the season.

He emphasizes that marijuana is "nothing I'm needing," unlike some NBA players who "have to have it."

"What can I say? If you can do it and it's not affecting your everyday life, why stop? If I'm able to do it, but not while I play basketball, it lets you know I can quit whenever."
europa
RealGM

Post#36 » by europa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:19 pm

Major Generalization Alert:

I'd be surprised if at least 80% of the players in the league didn't smoke pot. And I wouldn't be surprised if that figure was low.

That doesn't mean I condone it. I'm just saying that's the reality of the league today.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#37 » by wichmae » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 pm

sbless08 wrote:Howard just posted 20 points 20 rebounds in last 2 playoff losses. Getting Howard would be the beast we need! BYE BYE REDD!!! :clap:

wrong Howard.

Josh not Dwight
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#38 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:22 pm

fam3381 wrote:FYI, here's some background on Howard's marijuana habit that was referred to in the thread on the Mavs board.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2e27c.html

Entering last season's playoffs, the ESPN.com blog TrueHoop asked Howard whether he slipped to No. 29 in the 2003 NBA draft because teams were concerned that he had a marijuana problem.

Howard responded that "a lot of people have that problem" and speculated that players selected ahead of him also smoked pot. He said it shouldn't have affected his draft status.

Asked whether he caught any flak for that interview, Howard said no. When asked to quantify the extent of his use, he said he got "a little crazy" in high school but uses it "less" now and never during the season.

He emphasizes that marijuana is "nothing I'm needing," unlike some NBA players who "have to have it."

"What can I say? If you can do it and it's not affecting your everyday life, why stop? If I'm able to do it, but not while I play basketball, it lets you know I can quit whenever."

Hey at least it's better than having a crackhead for a point guard :lol:

In all seriousness though, our former small forward tandem, Glenn Robinson and Tim Thomas, how can I put this, could've rivaled Cheech and Chong with the amount of dope they smoked.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#39 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:35 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Josh Smith

I figured it would be either Smith or Horford. Since the 4 is the best position for both of them there may be a deal there.

JJ has the size to play the 3 (he is only .25" shorter than Smith and marvin). JJ just has way too much defensive attention on him now and Redd would certainly alleviate that.

Redd and JJ are similar players in that both of them just might not be good enough to be the number 1 option on a contender. But they would make a pretty formidable tandem.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,229

Post#40 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm excited that the Maverick fans would be willing to do this.....

A Redd for Stackhouse/Howard trade would be a homerun for this franchise.

Salaries: We shed the $51mm owed Redd and take back about $29mm guaranteed owed to two guys (and each guy has a team option I think for another year)

We solve the SF spot....we solve a ton of defensive issues.....Stackhouse can be a valuable bench guy or start at SG for us. Two playoff tested veterans. Redd gets a fresh start on a team where he doesn't need to be the man.

Sign me up for this one.

Sign Duhon with the MLE. Trade Mo for Haslem. Draft the BPA.

That team can compete next year.....big time.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks