ImageImage

Woelfel: Skiles needs to learn to play nice

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#81 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 am

MVP4Champ wrote:Very encouraging news about Bobby. If he's actually gonna work hard during the offseason like BuckSkins fan says and be healthy for the first time in 2 years then i'm willing to give him another chance.

Bobby has shown flashes in the regular season, but even those flashes were just jumpshots. I don't hate him as much as a lot of people around here, but he's making 10 million a year to shoot jumpshots. He's got a big body and needs to use it. I hope he can become a tough defender and maybe work on a post game, but we'll see...
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#82 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 am

BuckSkins Fan wrote:Everyone can take what is being said and interpret there own way. I would rather Skiles say that I dont care who you are, your going to play defense. The most important thing on defense is effort. I dont want player A being held to a different criteria. I am also saying I may 100% wrong in what I thought he meant. If Redd is athletic enough to play D on the Olympic team, he can do it in a Bucks uniform.

Now lets answer some questions.
CBQ...Bobby was/is very impressed with SS. The conversation covered every aspect. Skiles asked him "What the F happend this year> He let Bobby tell him the entire story. They talked about it in great length and SS said, great, that's all over with. As of right now we are starting 100% over with a clean slate. Bobby is in better shape today than he has been in two years. As we all could tell, he was moving alot better at the end of the year. He has already been to Tim Grovers gym and they have already started on the offseason program. The goals, physically are to be lighter, stronger, and faster than ever. This is the first offseason since he was with the Clippers that he is actually healthy and can have an aggressive offseason program. Right now he is taking some time off to relax with his family.

The major things that he thought the team needed have already been dealt with. As for the draft, all he has said is that the Bucks need some luck so they can draft his boy D Rose. Rose went to the same HS in Chicago as Bobby.
Bobby knows that if he plays for Skiles, he will thrive. All the things Skiles preaches is what Bobby can do.

Reddzone. I was 100% positive Bobby was as good as gone with LK here. Now that LK has been dealt with and a coach that has been brought in that will talk the talk and walk the walk, I must say that Bobby feels extremely optomistic about what's going on. There is a buzz, like something special is going on, and it's going on in Mil.

Steger. bout the Redd comment, it was not something said to Bobby it was said in the press conf. He talked about being accountable, expecting excellence, and hiding weak defensive players. I dont like having to hide anyone. Redd is too athlectic offensively to say he cant play defense. I just hope he doesn't treat certain guys different than others. Every single player on this roster desperately needs to get their azz kicked. Every single player needs to play defense. Not just be hidden or covered in schemes.

As for the hire, Bobby knows its great for the organization. He knew that whether it was Carlisle or Skiles it would be a tremendous step in the right direction. He also knows SS is the type of coach that he would love to play for. SS demands physical, tough, team first players, who play defense. That's Bobby for sure.

One bothersome thing is that SS is a tough nose coach and this roster has several weak players. Yi, CV, Mo, Redd are butter. There will be alot of changes coming this summer.

Edited to say nice post Wade a holic! 90% of the posts about Bobby on here are negative.
Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. Your contributions are greatly appreciated. One more question though what does Bobby think of Mo Williams? I like that Bobby is on the D. Rose train with many of us and I only hope that we find someway to luck into getting him. How about telliing Bobby to get Rose to reject any team but the Bucks..pulling an Yi and only saying he wants to play here? Didn't work for Yi but maybe it will work with Derrick!

Lastly on the Simmons bashing... I will say this, if Bobby can get anywhere near as productive as he was with the Cips then there won't be another negative word said about him. His lack of effectiveness this season put him in the doghouse with the fans and media alike, all we need is for him to become the Bobby of old or better and things will mellow out around here. Tell him to have a great summer.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#83 » by Bucks_Revenge » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 am

Bucks Skins I was with you until you put Yi in the same category as Mo, CV and Redd...Yi should some moments that he can play defense in this league.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,209

Post#84 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:21 am

BuckSkins Fan wrote: This situation has NEVER been done before on a pro athelete. NEVER. The surgeon said about 14 months until Bobby would almost be 100%. Instead of 14 months, its still coming. Slowly but surely..

We talked about this last summer...I told these guys that if your PF goes really bad it can be extremely problematic long-term and that surgery may cause a significant loss in athletic ability.

Bobby's mobility has been like Lt. Dan this year. I just hope he can get back not only the mobility but the leaping ability as well. You can add another one to the fire, but I'm not sure he can do it. I see his career as being less dunking over Alonzo anymore and more Jason Kapono as designated 3-point shooter if he can get that 3pt percentage back up. I'd also guess Skiles let's him use his weight as PF in small ball lineups next year.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#85 » by Jez2983 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:22 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:Bobby. His work ethic is much more trustworthy and I trust him more to be a good teammate as well. Also, his contract expires much sooner. Oh, and he's also the more likely of the two to defend.

Oh, I agree. I should have phrased the question a bit more generally as people previously have talked about Mo in the 6th man role and I wonder what people think of having Mo vs. Bobby in this role.

Another (simplistic) way of thinking could be that Sessions + ?Westbrook or ?Duhon could roughly equal Mo in terms of production. Therefore, any improvment Bobby shows is a net improvement at a position we struggled at this season.

I'd just love him to keep the 12.7 points up at 51% shooting in 24 mins that he showed in the last 10 games. And while I understand that jeremyd236 was talking about more versatility in Bobby's game, I suppose that however you score at the clip above is fine by me.
smalls
Junior
And1: 0

Post#86 » by smalls » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:44 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I believe that Bobby was more affected by his injury than most guys would be by the same injury. Bobby doesn't have the athleticism to spare that some other guys have. His game, especially defensively, is based on footwork and sliding laterally - two things that obviously suffered a great deal as a result of the injury. Offensively, he's mainly a jump shooter. It's hard to expect a guy to take a year off and then expect him to come back and knock down shots with the same consistency.

I agree about the injury and would like to add that i understood a lot of Bobby's frustrations, he is a very good fit for this team if they play inside out and smart team (formally scheme :wink: ) defense. The last few years we played outside in and oohh-lay D. Hopefully Skiles can be a demanding enuf of a coach to accomplish these things as the things that are best for this team just happen to be whats best for Bobby to succeed. :clap:
SidTheMan4
Junior
And1: 78

Post#87 » by SidTheMan4 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 am

I love the Woelful headline. He doesn't need to play nice. What is he going to do, piss a bunch a guys off who have won a combined 54 games in 2 years? Let them get pissed. Run things the right way and they might find success.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#88 » by Epicurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 am

Don't you have to play outside-in to be able to play inside-out? Just a false dichotomy used to have something to say, I suspect. And what the hell is "smart scheme defense?" I've checked into my old Parker Publishing coaching books and don't see that phrase. Is it the counter of dumb scheme defense? Why would anyone chose to play the latter?
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User

Post#89 » by Bucks_Revenge » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:53 am

jeff van gundy said Simmons will be great being the sixth man for a team. He said Simmons will struggle if a team depends on him to start. If Simmons can come in the game and hit shots he can be great.
SidTheMan4
Junior
And1: 78

Post#90 » by SidTheMan4 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:54 am

Maybe we should have played dumb player defense since that is what pretty boy assembled for us.
smalls
Junior

Post#91 » by smalls » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 am

Epicurus wrote:Don't you have to play outside-in to be able to play inside-out? Just a false dichotomy used to have something to say, I suspect. And what the hell is "smart scheme defense?" I've checked into my old Parker Publishing coaching books and don't see that phrase. Is it the counter of dumb scheme defense? Why would anyone chose to play the latter?

Ok i lay it out for ya since ur being difficult, inside-out is when u throw the ball down on the block to a lowpost player at the start off ur offensive set, this lowpost player then has the option to score from the block, pass to a cutter, or wait for double team and pass it out and then let ball movement hit the open man(ideally a good jump shooter ie Bobby Simmons) in the corner. This type of offense is ideal for a team with a skilled big man such as Bogut.

Smart Scheme Defense as defined by Websters Dictionary is any defensive scheme that is the opposite of some silly gimick Defensive philosophy thought of or coached by Terry Stotts :banghead: Tru Story!!!!!!
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#92 » by Epicurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 am

1. When the big man can command a double team consistently and play through it also. bogut did improve this year in the low post, but is still not that good in the low post, much better slashing through.
2. wow, are you trying to hurt my feelings with the stotts' reference. I take it that you can't begin to describe what you mean by "SSD." One more victim of echolalia.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#93 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:08 am

Besides this soft team needing someone to not accept the crap we saw this year, Skiles has to be who he is. I've obviously never played pro basketball or any pro sport for that matter, but numerous times i've heard it said that athletes can sniff out a phony right away.

Players in pro sorts spend a large amount of time with their teammates and coaches. If any coach tries to be something they really aren't, i'm sure the players will eventually notice and have less respect for that coach.

If say Stotts had tried to take on some Mr. hardass personality, i'm sure the players would have sniffed out that isn't who the real Terry Stotts was.

Some professional coaches in any sport are less the screaming yelling type, they believe in treating their players like men and expecting the players personal pride to get them to play hard. Some coaches are in the Ditka, Parcells, Keenan, or Skiles mode that have a more gruff in your face demeanor.

While some players may not care for that more in your face personality, if the coach is fair and consistent, i think most athletes can deal with playing for that kind of coach so long as they don't perceive it to be some phony act that the coach is trying to carry out.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#94 » by Epicurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 am

You are so correct. You can not be whom you are not. Skiles is truly who he is. I saw him in a local steakhouse and the guy ate with his family with intensity. He makes Bobby Knight look like Mr. Happy Go Lucky (at least when eating out).
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#95 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am

Please Mr Scott Skiles...dont read this BS! Just be yourself! We need what and who you are! The players need to change not you! We dont need a baby-sitter.

Someone said the NBA stands for :wavefinger: N-o :waaa: B-abies A-llowed! :noway:

Get players in here and around two Centerpieces who play basketball the way it should be played and play to win! Just like your Suns and Bulls did until they chose to be babies.

We are here to have a tea party and a game of tiddlywinks where we all hold hands sit in the corner and read our bibles singing kumbiyah my Lord Kumbiyah...!

Instill some heart, passion, fire, determination, character, mentaly and physical toughness, and a winning at all cost mentality, personality and identity!!!

NICE GUYS FINISH where Mr. Leo 'the Lip' Durocher? DEAD ASS...LAST says Leo 'the Lip! Lottery losers!

What happen in Chicago was not your fault it was John Paxson's and a bunch of guys in contract years just like it was here last year!

Don't read or take heed to all this idiotic hogwash from a second rate newspaper columnist!

Don't allow anyone to make you or turn you into anything that is not you.
You are a proven winner, we are not!

This team needs some toughness and some hard nosed direction. Play nice my a--! That is the problem with this team now! We play too nice!

Winning is not nice! Being successful in the playoffs and becoming a team worthy of respectability is not playing Milwaukee soft and Milwaukee nice!

You must have a team who 'refuses to lose.' John Hammond you came from such a team in Detriot! Winning is not playing nice!

For 5 years the players have run the asylum no more. Take this article and use it for tissue! Horrible piece of editorial! Horrible!

Throw Gery Woeful and all Bucks fans who think like this into the Friday Fryer!!!

I am gonna shake you all out of this losing soft ball mentality if I dont do anything else! :banghead:

Never bring anything this man writes in here again... :noway:
milweskee
Starter
And1: 334

Post#96 » by milweskee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:29 am

If Skiles can be the coach he has been, and seperates the men from the whining babies, and Hammond has a good grasp of what kind of players Skiles needs to be successful (those being guys who are confident in their abilities and play the right way) we are in for a hell of a season next year.

Make the moves to get those guys that are Skiles-type players , and we got ourselves a contender. If not right away, at least in the near future.

Please find a way to get Gerald Wallace. :pray:
smalls
Junior

Post#97 » by smalls » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 am

Epicurus wrote:1. When the big man can command a double team consistently and play through it also. bogut did improve this year in the low post, but is still not that good in the low post, much better slashing through.
2. wow, are you trying to hurt my feelings with the stotts' reference. I take it that you can't begin to describe what you mean by "SSD." One more victim of echolalia.

On ur first point i disagree. i think its fairly apparent that Bogut is plenty good enuf in the post now to accomplish these things, especially with the right type of players around him, I view Bobby as one of those players.

On the second note I know i hurt ur feelings with the Stotts comment not only cuz its true but because of ur insistence on proving that Stotts was screwed on almost any post that involves any say or opinion on coaching. U always turn straight azzhole and start with the condescending tone when this type of event occurs. If it makes u feel better i edited my post to say smart team Defense.

As for explaining what i meant i I think its fairly obvious, it's where a defensive system is used in an effective manner as to not allow the other team to score or gather offensive rebounds, these things normally occur when used cohesively by a team. Basically the opposite of what this team has played since the George Karl years.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#98 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:53 am

smalls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

On ur first point i disagree. i think its fairly apparent that Bogut is plenty good enuf in the post now to accomplish these things, especially with the right type of players around him, I view Bobby as one of those players.

Andrew has games or stretches of games where he is quite effective in the post, but i don't buy that he is "plenty good enough" to be the main option that a team runs their offense through.

He still struggles to much when guarded by a strong defender in the post. The biggest reason for this is that Bogut can pretty much only score one way when he catches on the block, those little flip hook shots.

If Andrew had a turn around/post up jumper after catching in the block or even a face up midrange jumper, teams would then have to think about doubling him a lot more than they currently do.

Nearly all the bigs in the NBA that are consistently double teamed have more varied and refined post skills than Bogut does. Andrew did improve on at least is close to the basket scoring skills last season, but if i was an opposing coach, i'd only double Bogut a lot if i had a poor defending center.

Hopefully though during the offseason Bogut improves even more and finally adds some sort of post up jumper, along with better free throw shooting. If he does, then maybe he can be a big man that teams have to almost always consider doubling him, compared to only here and there.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#99 » by Epicurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 am

I see to you "smart" is judged by its consequences which may or may not be related to the defensive system. You do understand how this is a loaded definition. BTW, save the affectation, it's quite corny. And no a gnat doesn't hurt my skin or feelings.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#100 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 am

europa wrote:While I agree Skiles needs to learn from his mistakes, this team badly needs a serious kick in the ass. The last thing I want to see is Skiles coddle a bunch of players who give terrible effort, won't defend and blatantly ignore the concept of team basketball. Kick some ass and then see who the tough ones are who can take it. Those are the ones you can be nice to. The rest can get the hell out of Dodge.

You and Gery Woeful last artical I read are unreal here! :crazy: THERE WERE NO MISTAKES BY SCOTT SKILES man! :nonono:

What mistakes!? When!? There were many who actually picked the Bulls' to win the East this year!

The mistakes was John Paxson in hindsight. Him not pulling the trigger on many deals for Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, or Pau Gasol as rumored for Deng and Gordon who might not be there next year anyways!

No team will win when players on it have an 'agenda' and are mired in all the trade rumors.

Giving away guys or picks that could have brought you guys like Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge in consecutive years does it.

Skiles was fired or let go too early, and we should have hired him then and asked Krystkowiak to say on as an assistant when he got canned in the first place!

People bring up what Jamal Crawford says, or what Eddy Curry says or what Skiles former players say...FLUSH THEM! WHO CARES! What have they won?

You dont put credence to anyone who does not want to play for Skiles. It tells me more about the fragility of the players then it does about Skiles when someone has a problem with certain coaches you know can coach.

If you can't play for certian coaches who you know they know what they are doing, guys like Jerry Sloan, Don Nelson, Phil Jackson, perhaps a Mike D'Antoni, Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, Gregg Popovich, or a Scott Skiles and Pat Riley to name just a few, then I look more at what is wrong with that particular player, then I do with what is wrong with that coach and his system!

There are few players who I would respect and listen to in this league if they had an issue wth a coach as to whether I would put any credence in what they said about a coach.

If cats like a Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, Dwyane Wade, Steve Nash, Chris Paul....have a problem with a coach then I stand up and say, hey, this guy has gone too far or there might be something to this.

But other stars like even Shaq, Iverson, Melo, Kobe, all these strong egos and me centered players I will think twice and weigh it more and have a reasonable doubt about them knocking any coach and look to them as part of the problem as well.

Guys who played for Skiles who you all are talking about...LMAO! You got to be kidding me. Guys like Crawford, Redd, Curry, Chandler, Gordon, or Deng I dont give a flip what they say about Scott Skiles!

The first thing I ask is did you bring your ass to camp in shape, did you listen to what he said or were you smoking too much weed to focus in practice and out on the streets chasing hoochie mama's all night!?

So don't bring me this bullcrap about Skiles from the mouth of scrubs! I would have cause to think twice about anything Kobe even says about a coach! And he is arguably the best player in the NBA!!!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks