ImageImage

Woelfel: Skiles needs to learn to play nice

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#61 » by Nowak008 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks for the info Skins. I hope everything is going ok with Bobby's family.

You need to come into for a game and we will take u out on the town. Might need a driver though to get home. :)
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#62 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks Bucksskin.

For what its worth, unless Bobby is included in a package deal, I would like him to remain on the team.

The reason for this is because if he is moved alone we are going to get a crap player with a crap contract back, since Bobby's value is low right now.

With that crap player with a crap contract, there is probably going to be nothing good out of him. With Bobby, there is always the potential of him getting back into great shape and recovering from missing an entire year.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
75totheMACCfund
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#63 » by 75totheMACCfund » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 am

I've always been a big fan of bobby's game...I've never understood why people got on him so hard this past year. The guy was coming off an injury that took him away from his profession for a year. Step away from your any profession for a year and there's going to need to be time to readjust.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#64 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:59 am

75totheMACCfund wrote:I've always been a big fan of bobby's game...I've never understood why people got on him so hard this past year. The guy was coming off an injury that took him away from his profession for a year. Step away from your any profession for a year and there's going to need to be time to readjust.

I believe that Bobby was more affected by his injury than most guys would be by the same injury. Bobby doesn't have the athleticism to spare that some other guys have. His game, especially defensively, is based on footwork and sliding laterally - two things that obviously suffered a great deal as a result of the injury. Offensively, he's mainly a jump shooter. It's hard to expect a guy to take a year off and then expect him to come back and knock down shots with the same consistency.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,322

Post#65 » by rilamann » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:02 am

Simmons kinda reminds me of Bogut in that he is the type of player that would be more effective and contribute more on a good team than on a bad team.

Scott Williams actually talked about that sort of thing in the last Bucks telecast on FSN.Scott said himself he was the type of player who was more productive on a good team and also said himself he looked horrible on bad teams.

I think when the Bucks on the right track and Simmons is 100% healthy he can still be a real solid guy off your bench as a 6th or 7th man playing around 25/30 minutes a night.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#66 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am

rilamann wrote:I think when the Bucks on the right track and Simmons is 100% healthy he can still be a real solid guy off your bench as a 6th or 7th man playing around 25/30 minutes a night.

At this point there's no point in judging him against his contract, we know he's not going to give you $10 million worth of production. The positive is that he had his best month of the season in April, he can play team ball and it seems like he and Bogut are on the same page. Sure, they weren't meaningful games at the end of the season, but he had his shot going and he seemed to play very well with a guy like Sessions who rewards you for working off the ball.

Glad to hear he's determined to come back slimmer and trimmer. We need all the help we can get.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#67 » by Jez2983 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:15 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:I believe that Bobby was more affected by his injury than most guys would be by the same injury. Bobby doesn't have the athleticism to spare that some other guys have. His game, especially defensively, is based on footwork and sliding laterally - two things that obviously suffered a great deal as a result of the injury. Offensively, he's mainly a jump shooter. It's hard to expect a guy to take a year off and then expect him to come back and knock down shots with the same consistency.

Basketball for most players requires a fair amount of athleticism maybe except if you are 7 foot tall. And its played in a confined space on a hard floor (gridiron etc - have more room to run/change direction). And people are always landing on that floor from a decent height. You'd think that Bobby should be able to recover things that don't rely on his legs so much - passing/shooting but defending quickly, jumping through for boards is probably always going to be affected. His proprioception or position sense will always be different - won't feel quite the same landing or pushing off as you said.
Up until recently it was thought a bone spur on the heel caused irritation of the plantar fascia but people who had it removed often got the pain again. I just hope the medical staff spent a long time correcting his body mechanics that pre-disposed him to this.
Even coming off the bench he could make a positive, consistent impact if more trusted - especially considering how woeful the second unit scoring was.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#68 » by Epicurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:18 am

Quite humorous is the an unliked player doing well is because he is on a bad team; a liked player not doing well is because he is on a bad team. Got to love the bias in analysis.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#69 » by xTitan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:28 am

The thing that is about to get very interesting is the Yi thing......I have heard the Fegan rumblings as well, it will be very very interesting to see how Hammonds handles that....I know some people on this board like Kevin Love quite a bit and some don't....curious if people around here would trade Yi for Kevin Love? This is not a real strong draft after the first few, I am thinking that may be a deal that could be made.

Quick question for Buckskin....I had heard that alot of players were lobbying for Sessions to get alot of playing time much earlier....perhaps Bobby and Bogut were among Ramon's biggest fans....can you shed any light on that?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#70 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:31 am

xTitan wrote:The thing that is about to get very interesting is the Yi thing......I have heard the Fegan rumblings as well, it will be very very interesting to see how Hammonds handles that....I know some people on this board like Kevin Love quite a bit and some don't....curious if people around here would trade Yi for Kevin Love? This is not a real strong draft after the first few, I am thinking that may be a deal that could be made.

Quick question for Buckskin....I had heard that alot of players were lobbying for Sessions to get alot of playing time much earlier....perhaps Bobby and Bogut were among Ramon's biggest fans....can you shed any light on that?

I would be absolutely furious to trade Yi for Kevin Love. The guy has bust written all over him to me. He's nothing more than another Raef Lafrentz, Brian Scalabrine, not so effective Nick Collison clone. The kid is nothing special and might be a decent backup PF in a few years, but will never be anything special. Not worthy of a lottery pick.

I'd rather go to Philly and offer Yi for Thaddeus Young or to the Clippers for Al Thornton
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#71 » by bigkurty » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 am

Epicurus wrote:Quite humorous is the an unliked player doing well is because he is on a bad team; a liked player not doing well is because he is on a bad team. Got to love the bias in analysis.

Epi has a great point here. Honestly, Simmons sucks so why is everyone letting him off easy in this thread and how long do we have to hear the excuse of him being out with injuries for a year? At some point you have to just realize he is not very good and that him being chronically injured is a part of who he is now. Just like TJ Ford or Baron Davis or Ben Sheets or McGrady or whoever else fits that mold, does anyone honestly think he will ever be the picture of good health anymore? If so, I think you are crazy. He also has no lateral quickness so him being a good defender at this point seems pretty unlikely.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 am

bigkurty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Epi has a great point here. Honestly, Simmons sucks so why is everyone letting him off easy in this thread and how long do we have to hear the excuse of him being out with injuries for a year? At some point you have to just realize he is not very good and that him being chronically injured is a part of who he is now. Just like TJ Ford or Baron Davis or Ben Sheets or McGrady or whoever else fits that mold, does anyone honestly think he will ever be the picture of good health anymore? If so, I think you are crazy. He also has no lateral quickness so him being a good defender at this point seems pretty unlikely.

Yes, there is a very good chance that Simmons' injury problems will continue, but there's also a chance that he'll continue to recover and re-gain much of his quickness. Nobody in this thread is saying he'll be the player he was for the Clippers nor is anyone saying he'll suddenly justify his contract. Can he be a solid bench contributer on a good team, though? Yes.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#73 » by smauss » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would be absolutely furious to trade Yi for Kevin Love. The guy has bust written all over him to me. He's nothing more than another Raef Lafrentz, Brian Scalabrine, not so effective Nick Collison clone. The kid is nothing special and might be a decent backup PF in a few years, but will never be anything special. Not worthy of a lottery pick.

I'd rather go to Philly and offer Yi for Thaddeus Young or to the Clippers for Al Thornton

I'm sorry but every time I picture Kevin Love the name "Butterball" comes to mind.........

I would prefer the Young or Thornton trade better as well. Really like their games.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think Love will bust, but I wouldn't trade Yi for him, either.

I doubt Hammond makes any hasty decisions regarding Yi. The key is how much Yi likes it here. If, in a year or two, the Bucks are improving, Yi is improving, and he likes it here, he'll be here, IMO.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#75 » by Jez2983 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:52 am

bigkurty wrote:Epicurus wrote:
Quite humorous is the an unliked player doing well is because he is on a bad team; a liked player not doing well is because he is on a bad team. Got to love the bias in analysis.

Epi has a great point here. Honestly, Simmons sucks so why is everyone letting him off easy in this thread and how long do we have to hear the excuse of him being out with injuries for a year?

Hmm, I was thinking that too. Reasons:
1. Money invested in him/injury situation - probably isn't going anywhere so better hope for the best.
2. Theoretically is probably the best SF on the team (unfortunately - but I suppose you could debate that)
3. He didn't miss heaps of games-and there were some extraneous circumstances when he did.
4. Buckskins - should be nice to a guy who apparently is giving inside info!

Wade-A-Holic wrote:Can he be a solid bench contributer on a good team, though? Yes.

I hope so. But then, you can't have Mo and Bobby both on the bench. Which would you rather?
BuckSkins Fan
Sophomore

Post#76 » by BuckSkins Fan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:00 am

XTitan,

Several players, most notably Bobby, Bogut, CV, CB, and Royal all lobbied for RS to get PT. In the 5 on 5 games, even before he went to the D League he proved he could play. There was also alot of frustration about the situation too. The Bucks lack of ability to develop a young player was brought up quite a bit.

Once RS got back from the DL, and over his injury, Royal was the biggest factor in getting him on the floor. Ivey told LK to give RS his minutes to help the rook develop.

Sessions is the real deal. A pass first PG with size and the ability to defend. The players new it in training camp. It took all damn year for LK to see it.

Bigkurty,
I respect your opinion, but I dont think anyone truly understands how serious the two surguries were. This situation has NEVER been done before on a pro athelete. NEVER. The surgeon said about 14 months until Bobby would almost be 100%. Instead of 14 months, its still coming. Slowly but surely.The strides he has made over the past 6 -8 weeks have been huge. With the first offseason in three years now that he can aggresively workout and work on his conditioning and game, I expect o see a tremendous difference from the player I saw this year. Bobby only started to play basketball again in August after 12 full months of not playing at all. To get back to the NBA level is not easy, especially after not being able to do anything for that long.

Keep hating though. It only fuels the fire.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Wade-A-Holic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 am

Jez2983 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hope so. But then, you can't have Mo and Bobby both on the bench. Which would you rather?

Bobby. His work ethic is much more trustworthy and I trust him more to be a good teammate as well. Also, his contract expires much sooner. Oh, and he's also the more likely of the two to defend.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#78 » by Chapter29 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:02 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:I highly doubt Simmons requested to be moved. He's not even close to being in a position to do so.

I imagine they're just trying to find out where Simmons' head is at and trying to get him to buy into an off season program that will get him where they want him to be.

The thing is that neither Simmons nor Redd are afraid of hard work. Both are self-made second round players who earned their status, contracts, and reputations based on hard work. I think that injuries (in Bobby's case), lots of losing, big guaranteed contracts, having some crappy guys in the locker room, and the presence of pushover coaches have really discouraged them from continuing to put in the work. With some health, optimism for winning, and a coach that will demand that everyone play the right way, we might see some of the best out of those two players. I'm not saying they'll justify their contracts, just saying I'm hoping for much better. I can't say I have the same amount of hope for Mo Williams.

Good post. I agree.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,669

Post#79 » by Max Green » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:22 am

Very encouraging news about Bobby. If he's actually gonna work hard during the offseason like BuckSkins fan says and be healthy for the first time in 2 years then i'm willing to give him another chance.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#80 » by bigkurty » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 am

BuckSkins Fan wrote:
Keep hating though. It only fuels the fire.

Glad I could be of service. :D

I appreciate your ability to not take it personal as well as it's not meant to be. I just want what's best for the team and if Bobby does stick around and make a full come back, I will be one of the first to cheer him on. I actually understand it in a sense although on a much smaller level. When I was in high school, I always ran cross country and by the end of the year every year I had shin splints no matter how many exercises I did to prevent shin splints. It wasn't my fault per se but my legs just didn't seem to be able to handle the pounding of a full season. It's quite possible Bobby will be in the same situation with his feet through no fault of his own. I just hope he is saving his money cause unless he turns it around completely and can stay healthy, he will never make this kind of money again.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks