ImageImage

Woelfel: Skiles needs to learn to play nice

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#21 » by Fort Minor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Will Perdude wrote:Give me a break Gerry W...

Boo hoo... the players want a coach who is nice. Look what "nice" got us the last two regimes.

I can't for the life of me understand why a guy like Skiles fails to coddle players in the media and then gets blasted for it. To me, to fans, that should be considered a positive attribute.

As I wrote in a previous thread, the stuff he gets blasted for (pushing for the immeadiate trade of Tim Thomas, refusing to make excuses for Eddy Curry's lack of rebounding and defense, hinting that Jaokim Noah was obnoxious...) these are all things that any sane person would agree with. These are the kind of things that beat writers TRY to get coaches to say. And then one has the balls to say them, and the same writers accuse him of being stubborn and mean and old school. Go figure.

Exactly.

Sounds to me that someone's just in a pissy mood because his info was wrong...yet again. That's Woeful for ya.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#22 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm

There are about a zillion things you can hammer this team for this season but not calling Larry Harris to offer their condolences after he got fired isn't one of them in my opinion. I don't think that's an indictment of this team at all.
Nothing will not break me.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#23 » by Epicurus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Will Perdude wrote:Give me a break Gerry W...

Boo hoo... the players want a coach who is nice. Look what "nice" got us the last two regimes.

Yea, a nice guy coach in '07 made the players get injured so that over 30% of playing time went to guys not in the NBA the next year. Damned nice guy coach. A good hard ass would have meant no injuries and a 45 win season.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#24 » by Epicurus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:15 pm

aboveAverage wrote:I guarantee the person who will HATE skiles is Villanueva. In fact, Villanueva will probably get less playing time next year under skiles. He has to go now.

That being said, I don't give a crap what any player on this team thinks of him. It's about time we had a coach who instills some fear in our players. That's exactly the type of motivation you need for players who don't give 100% effort ever.

Not enough just to instill fear in the players, must also instill fear on the vendors, the announcers, the fans, the security. History has shown that collectives work best when a leader instills fear in the masses.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Wade-A-Holic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 pm

What an idiotic article. Did Woeful even watch the last few seasons? Playing nice got our last three coaches fired. I'm not saying Skiles should purposely alienate players, but an "it's my way or the highway" approach is very necessary at this point. Just give him a nice guy assistant with a soft shoulder to cry on for our baby players.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Bucks_Revenge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:What an idiotic article. Did Woeful even watch the last few seasons? Playing nice got our last three coaches fired. I'm not saying Skiles should purposely alienate players, but an "it's my way or the highway" approach is very necessary at this point. Just give him a nice guy assistant with a soft shoulder to cry on for our baby players.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#27 » by jerrod » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:44 pm

i'd say there's some wiggle room between "playing nice" and being an incredible a****** that people can't stand
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#28 » by smauss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:44 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:What an idiotic article. Did Woeful even watch the last few seasons? Playing nice got our last three coaches fired. I'm not saying Skiles should purposely alienate players, but an "it's my way or the highway" approach is very necessary at this point. Just give him a nice guy assistant with a soft shoulder to cry on for our baby players.

Totally agree about the idiocy of the article! My only disagreement with you WAH is I say let this millionaires rent their own soft shoulders to cry on. I will pop for the Lesley Gore album though!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Epicurus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 pm

" Judy's turn to cry?"
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#30 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Woeful is just hoping Skiles won't rip him to shreds when he tries to ask questions related to basketball.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User

Post#31 » by Bucks_Revenge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 pm

can someone make a list of the players that complained about Skiles....the only good player from the top of my head is Jason Kidd but Kidd has basically complained about every coach he has had.

Eddy Curry and Crawford is not good enough for me.
smauss
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by smauss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Epicurus wrote:" Judy's turn to cry?"

Was thinking more along the lines of "Its my party and I'll cry if I want to"
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#33 » by xTitan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

smauss wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Was thinking more along the lines of "Its my party and I'll cry if I want to"

Damn...is your lil avatar a picture of you and Epi???? You fellas are dusting off the oldies;)
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User

Post#34 » by Bucks_Revenge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:03 pm

I love how Woeful is the only one in this state to report about anything Bucks related but when it comes to his own opinions I can never agree with him..
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#35 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 pm

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Damn...is your lil avatar a picture of you and Epi???? You fellas are dusting off the oldies;)

Hey, old people aren't the only ones who listen to oldies. :D
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
smauss
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by smauss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 pm

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, I'm the good looking one..........

simul justus et peccator
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#37 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 pm

This info is from a post by TB#1 on the Bulls board.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/133735

Which NBA coach would you least like to play for?

Pat Riley, Heat ....... 28%
Scott Skiles, ex-Bulls ....... 12%
Jerry Sloan, Jazz ....... 12%
Isiah Thomas, Knicks ....... 12%
Phil Jackson, Lakers ....... 4%
Mike Woodson, Hawks ....... 4%
Maurice Cheeks, 76ers ....... 3%
Jim O'Brien, Pacers ....... 3%
Stan Van Gundy, Magic ....... 2%
George Karl, Nuggets ....... 2%

[Based on a survey of 242 NBA Players]

FAST FACTS: Players could not vote for their own coach. . . . In last week's poll 21% of voters named Jackson and 4% named Sloan as the coach they would most like to play for. . . . Skiles was fired by Chicago on Christmas Eve. . . . Though only 9-33 this season Riley, a three-time Coach of the Year, has a career coaching record of 1,191-651 and has won five NBA championships.

This is an expanded version of the NBA poll from the February 4, 2008 issue of Sports Illustrated.

http://www.nba.com/preview2007/gmsurvey_coaches.html

NBA.com posed these questions and more to the league's general managers, and nearly all of the GM's responded to our survey.* Here's what the guys who call the shots think will transpire this season.

Who is the best head coach in the NBA?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 73.1%
2. Jerry Sloan, Utah 15.4%
Others receiving votes: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix; Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers; Scott Skiles, Chicago
Last year's pick: Pat Riley

Note how the several of the unpopular coaches are also considered the best by the GM's.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#38 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm

Ayt wrote:This info is from a post by TB#1 on the Bulls board.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/133735

Which NBA coach would you least like to play for?

Pat Riley, Heat ....... 28%
Scott Skiles, ex-Bulls ....... 12%
Jerry Sloan, Jazz ....... 12%
Isiah Thomas, Knicks ....... 12%
Phil Jackson, Lakers ....... 4%
Mike Woodson, Hawks ....... 4%
Maurice Cheeks, 76ers ....... 3%
Jim O'Brien, Pacers ....... 3%
Stan Van Gundy, Magic ....... 2%
George Karl, Nuggets ....... 2%

[Based on a survey of 242 NBA Players]

FAST FACTS: Players could not vote for their own coach. . . . In last week's poll 21% of voters named Jackson and 4% named Sloan as the coach they would most like to play for. . . . Skiles was fired by Chicago on Christmas Eve. . . . Though only 9-33 this season Riley, a three-time Coach of the Year, has a career coaching record of 1,191-651 and has won five NBA championships.

This is an expanded version of the NBA poll from the February 4, 2008 issue of Sports Illustrated.

http://www.nba.com/preview2007/gmsurvey_coaches.html

NBA.com posed these questions and more to the league's general managers, and nearly all of the GM's responded to our survey.* Here's what the guys who call the shots think will transpire this season.

Who is the best head coach in the NBA?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 73.1%
2. Jerry Sloan, Utah 15.4%
Others receiving votes: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix; Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers; Scott Skiles, Chicago
Last year's pick: Pat Riley

Note how the several of the unpopular coaches are also considered the best by the GM's.

It speaks volumes about the state of affairs in the NBA when three of the greatest coaches of all time (Riley, Sloan and Jackson) are among the Top 5 coaches players wouldn't want to play for. If you don't want to play for coaches who win consistently and have a large number of championships to their credit who in the hell do you want to play for?
Nothing will not break me.
BuckSkins Fan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#39 » by BuckSkins Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:39 pm

The player in the article is CV. Not Bobby. Bobby and Skiles have already talkled twice, today for over an hour. They are on the same page. I have no idea what Redd thinks. But atleast we all know Redd won't have to play D. That was the worse thing Skiles could've said.

CV, Mo are sh^tting bricks.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#40 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:42 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It speaks volumes about the state of affairs in the NBA when three of the greatest coaches of all time (Riley, Sloan and Jackson) are among the Top 5 coaches players wouldn't want to play for. If you don't want to play for coaches who win consistently and have a large number of championships to their credit who in the hell do you want to play for?

Yep.

Its not hard to see how that list makes sense when you consider just how many lazy basketball players there are in the NBA. Rosters are loaded with guys that really don't want to work.

I wonder what the numbers would have looked like in the 80's and early 90's.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks