Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Woelfel: Skiles needs to learn to play nice 

Post#1 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Skiles needs to learn from past mistakes

BY GERY WOELFEL

Before the Milwaukee Bucks packed their bags and headed out on their summer vacations last Thursday, they knew if they were still on the team next season they would have a new head coach,

The consensus opinion at the time was the Bucks would hire either Rick Carlisle or Scott Skiles. I queried some Bucks players about both individuals and their reactions were generally mixed.

There was one player, however, whose face began to cringe almost in a painful manner when I mentioned Skiles. His look spoke volumes.

It was amply apparent he wasn
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#2 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:10 pm

While I agree Skiles needs to learn from his mistakes, this team badly needs a serious kick in the ass. The last thing I want to see is Skiles coddle a bunch of players who give terrible effort, won't defend and blatantly ignore the concept of team basketball. Kick some ass and then see who the tough ones are who can take it. Those are the ones you can be nice to. The rest can get the hell out of Dodge.
Nothing will not break me.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

europa wrote:While I agree Skiles needs to learn from his mistakes, this team badly needs a serious kick in the ass. The last thing I want to see is Skiles coddle a bunch of players who give terrible effort, won't defend and blatantly ignore the concept of team basketball. Kick some ass and then see who the tough ones are who can take it. Those are the ones you can be nice to. The rest can get the hell out of Dodge.

Agreed 100%.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#4 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Yet, there are some individuals close to Carlisle who contend he was the Bucks
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,263

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:16 pm

europa wrote:While I agree Skiles needs to learn from his mistakes, this team badly needs a serious kick in the ass. The last thing I want to see is Skiles coddle a bunch of players who give terrible effort, won't defend and blatantly ignore the concept of team basketball. Kick some ass and then see who the tough ones are who can take it. Those are the ones you can be nice to. The rest can get the hell out of Dodge.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I could give a flying F___ what these babies want or if they feel they are being disrespected. There is a simple solution to that, play basketball the right way, stop playing selfish, stop giving no effort on D, and put wins above your numbers.

Skiles is exactly what this team needed and I sure as hell hope he doesn't "play nice".
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Andrew34r » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#8 » by europa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Nothing will not break me.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When did Hammond make his comment about if he had to sell the person too hard then that wasn't the right person. That sure sounds like what happened with Carlisle. If Carlisle wanted the Bucks job bad enough he wouldn't have felt the desire to shop around. The fact he did probably told Hammond all he needed to know.

And I agree smart move to go to Skiles rather than sit around and get burned by Carlisle later.

:lol: Here's the link:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=740873
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Bucks_Revenge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Am I alowed to give opinions...Just want to know since I'm such an annoying poster.

I really hope he doesn't change even though he made mistakes in the past this team needs a coach like that.. a coach who will call out anyone one who is performing the way they should be...we had to many coaches not saying how the feel all the time..some situations you do not need a coach to call out players all the time (ala 2002 bucks) but some you do.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Andrew34r » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:Am I aloud to give opinions...Just want to know since I'm such an annoying poster.

I really hope he doesn't change even though he made mistakes in the past this team needs a coach like that.. a coach who will call out anyone one who is performing the way they should be...we had to many coaches not saying how the feel all the time..some situations you do not need a coach to call out players all the time (ala 2002 bucks) but some you do.

No...but your allowed to. :lol:
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#12 » by SugarRay34 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm

I think that player who mentioned that about Skiles was either Simmons or Villanueva. I am guessing CV and Gordon talk often with the Uconn connection so would most likely be him. I really hope CV sticks around though and changes his act. He is the best offensive player on this team when given a chance. Hes just the worst defensive player known to man but hopefully Skiles can fix that somewhat
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,208

Post#13 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Unless Carlisle and Hammond hold a press conference to explain what happened, we'll never get the straight story on the Carlisle discussions. But I agree with the post that I'm glad Hammond was decisive and landed Skiles quickly.

We've had way too many coach and player decisions made by an indecisive committee the last ten years that have been botched. It appears that has changed.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#14 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Andrew34r wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No...but you're allowed to. :lol:

Fixed. :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,208

Post#15 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Bucks Revenge.....don't be down on your posts. I think you made the post of the day today talking about Skiles avenging Larry K's death.

I'm still laughing about the imagery of that as it relates to this thread on Skiles handling of players. Seeing Larry K on some sort of Braveheart battlefield giving a last gasp to Skiles about impaling Mo, Redd, CV and Bobby.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,322

Post#16 » by rilamann » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Skiles doesnt have to play nice or tone anything down,the Bucks need to rid themselves of the ego driven soft un-coachable sissys.

There are coachable players in the NBA who want to win (like Bogut for example) and Hammond will find them.

Like I said before though the Skiles hire makes me think there is going to be a complete overhaul of the roster this summer.Skiles is a soild coach but his style probably wont work with the sissy punks we have this roster.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#17 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah I could really care less if Skiles kicks every single one of our players in the ass. They need it and they deserve it.

As for him only being good for two years and then wearing out his welcome on players. I could care less about that as well as long as he teaches them how to defend.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,753

Post#18 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Give me a break Gerry W...

Boo hoo... the players want a coach who is nice. Look what "nice" got us the last two regimes.

I can't for the life of me understand why a guy like Skiles fails to coddle players in the media and then gets blasted for it. To me, to fans, that should be considered a positive attribute.

As I wrote in a previous thread, the stuff he gets blasted for (pushing for the immeadiate trade of Tim Thomas, refusing to make excuses for Eddy Curry's lack of rebounding and defense, hinting that Jaokim Noah was obnoxious...) these are all things that any sane person would agree with. These are the kind of things that beat writers TRY to get coaches to say. And then one has the balls to say them, and the same writers accuse him of being stubborn and mean and old school. Go figure.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#19 » by aboveAverage » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

I guarantee the person who will HATE skiles is Villanueva. In fact, Villanueva will probably get less playing time next year under skiles. He has to go now.

That being said, I don't give a crap what any player on this team thinks of him. It's about time we had a coach who instills some fear in our players. That's exactly the type of motivation you need for players who don't give 100% effort ever.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#20 » by BobbyLight » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Is it just me, or does Gery seem to spend a bit too much time on the soapbox.

He said he was surprised by this move, maybe like the TJ deal. So now he has his panties in a bunch because he wasn't spoonfed this news first. I like that the guy follows the Bucks, but sometimes he seems to shove his agenda on his readers a bit too forcefully.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks