ImageImage

Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would You Be Happy With Skiles As The Head Coach?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 132

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#41 » by xTitan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Actually I am a growing yay. I, like most wanted Carlisle as well, but in reading the Donnie Walsh passed altogether on Carlisle and the fact that both Walsh and Pat Riley were very high on Skiles....makes me feel much better about the hiring. I believe that Hammond had his eyes set on Skiles from day 1 because he moved with an aggresive percision in acquiring him. I see a similiarity in the way Hammond operates to Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson and I like that. For those of you saying that Skiles will only be a short timer, who was it you were looking for? NBA coaches have a short shelf life for the most part...has Brown, JVG, Carlisle spent alot of time in any single job? The culture needs to change and it appears to be changing.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: Scott Skiles: Yay or Nay? 

Post#42 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 pm

europa wrote:It seems like a lot of people aren't happy that Skiles may be the next head coach.

This poll is proving you very wrong.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
msquared4873
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#43 » by msquared4873 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Yeah seems like a much improved coach. His tough style will whip this team into shape.

And as a bonus his name is much easier to pronounce and spell then krystkowiak.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#44 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm

xTitan wrote:Actually I am a growing yay. I, like most wanted Carlisle as well, but in reading the Donnie Walsh passed altogether on Carlisle and the fact that both Walsh and Pat Riley were very high on Skiles....makes me feel much better about the hiring. I believe that Hammond had his eyes set on Skiles from day 1 because he moved with an aggresive percision in acquiring him. I see a similiarity in the way Hammond operates to Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson and I like that. For those of you saying that Skiles will only be a short timer, who was it you were looking for? NBA coaches have a short shelf life for the most part...has Brown, JVG, Carlisle spent alot of time in any single job? The culture needs to change and it appears to be changing.

Thats a good point. Carlisle has averaged 3 years per job (2 at detroit, 4 in indiana)
The reason it probably seems like Skiles is less is because He was never hired nor fired in the offseason.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/coa ... sc01c.html
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#45 » by europa » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:55 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This poll is proving you very wrong.

Maybe. I still think having 30% of the people here unhappy about the move is interesting. Given the lack of success the team had under the past three head coaches, I'm surprised the percentage is that high for a proven winner who's accomplished more than those three head coaches combined.
Nothing will not break me.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#46 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:55 pm

europa wrote:Maybe. I still think having 30% of the people here unhappy about the move is interesting. Given the lack of success the team had under the past three head coaches, I'm surprised the percentage is that high for a proven winner who's accomplished more than those three head coaches combined.

Me too, champ. Me too.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#47 » by smauss » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:55 pm

xTitan wrote:Actually I am a growing yay. I, like most wanted Carlisle as well, but in reading the Donnie Walsh passed altogether on Carlisle and the fact that both Walsh and Pat Riley were very high on Skiles....makes me feel much better about the hiring. I believe that Hammond had his eyes set on Skiles from day 1 because he moved with an aggresive percision in acquiring him. I see a similiarity in the way Hammond operates to Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson and I like that. For those of you saying that Skiles will only be a short timer, who was it you were looking for? NBA coaches have a short shelf life for the most part...has Brown, JVG, Carlisle spent alot of time in any single job? The culture needs to change and it appears to be changing.

Good points in your post xtitan! The bolded portion puts some of my unquantified fears at ease. As I said in my earlier post, I have an "apprehension" about skiles. It is totally unquantified, since I really don't know much directly and mostly just what I've heard from others. Thanks for the insights.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
DocGonzo
Freshman

Post#48 » by DocGonzo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:57 pm

In Hammond we trust.

If Skiles was his first choice, then I'm ecstatic. The quick turnaround time on this indicates it's likely that he is.

And, if he and Hammond stay on the same page, there's no reason to think he'll be a short timer. If there are problem players and Hammond agrees to ship them out, he should stay happy.

It's a good day to be a Bucks fan!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,738

Post#49 » by msiris » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Not too excited. Some players would need to leave. Mo,CV and maybe even Redd. If Skiles is yelling or mad what player will listen more to him more than they did LK. My point is that they don't have too. Players have so much leverage in the NBA.
Ride the tank
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#50 » by smauss » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

msiris wrote:Not too excited. Some players would need to leave. Mo,CV and maybe even Redd. If Skiles is yelling or mad what player will listen more to him more than they did LK. My point is that they don't have too. Players have so much leverage in the NBA.

There is a difference that skiles will have over LK which is huge and that is support from the organization. LK had none of that I would bet. I know that LK has taken some hits here for not sticking to his guns on benching players etc. and I'm not attempting to absolve him of all of it but I don't believe he had much front office support at all.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#51 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:29 pm

I voted yay, hard for me not to after the coaching genius that is LK.

I trust Hammond, I think one point people may be missing when comparing coaches like Skiles and Carlisle, etc. is that the players should fit the coaches.

We supposedly tried for awhile to bring guys in that fit Stotts system, but maybe Hammond is changing things up and bringing a coach in that fit what he considers to be the core of this team?

Or perhaps Hammond just realizes how insanely undisciplined this team is, and how we need a coach to get these guys back on course? Who better for this job than Carlisle.

At first I wasn't a Skiles fan, I always thought of him as a glorified LK in the manner that he was mostly a big motivating tough guy rather than intelligent at basketball.

I did some research though and saw that he is actually a very intelligent X's and O's guy. If he has both abilities, I am at least willing to give him a chance.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 87

Post#52 » by Debit One » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Big, big yay from me.

This team needs an ass kicker.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#53 » by BobbyLight » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Debit One wrote:Big, big yay from me.

This team needs an ass kicker.

A smart ass kicker at that... This is great. He may not be the guy some wanted, but his is leaps and bounds better than every coach we have had since Karl.
Debit One
Starter

Post#54 » by Debit One » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm

msiris wrote:Not too excited. Some players would need to leave. Mo,CV and maybe even Redd.

Those three need to leave no matter who is hired as the coach.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,209

Post#55 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm going Nay.

I can't rationalize the move like I do most other moves the team makes. Maybe I will in a day or two. I'd only be happy if Skiles were the only guy we could get (which may be the case).

Would have rather spent the extra 10 million on Carlisle assuming he would have then accepted if more money was offered. We will spend that extra money anyways on Skiles buyout in 2010-11.

Reading the NY Post thread you get the impression Skiles wanted NY first but Walsh didn't want him.

No question Skiles is hard medicine and he and Hammond will do things the right way. I just had hoped that the guy with a better track record and more polish (Carlisle) would have come here. So I'm not down on the move. Just a Nay in comparison to what I thought we were getting.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#56 » by jerrod » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:48 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm going Nay.

I can't rationalize the move like I do most other moves the team makes. Maybe I will in a day or two. I'd only be happy if Skiles were the only guy we could get (which may be the case).

Would have rather spent the extra 10 million on Carlisle assuming he would have then accepted if more money was offered. We will spend that extra money anyways on Skiles buyout in 2010-11.

Reading the NY Post thread you get the impression Skiles wanted NY first but Walsh didn't want him.

No question Skiles is hard medicine and he and Hammond will do things the right way. I just had hoped that the guy with a better track record and more polish (Carlisle) would have come here. So I'm not down on the move. Just a Nay in comparison to what I thought we were getting.

precisely
Debit One
Starter

Post#57 » by Debit One » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:49 pm

PP, would you not have met Scott Skiles with open arms two months ago?
Dags
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by Dags » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Skiles, for me, is a yay...only if we've missed out on JVG and Carlisle (in that order).

I see Skiles as the ugly girl at the party. Some guys are going to figure that the good looking chicks won't touch them and so they just go straight to the uggo. Other guys try to chance their luck with the hotties and only go for the uggo if the hotties all say no - but they risk the possibility of the uggo getting offended and saying no as well.

If the Bucks belong to the first group and just go straight for the uggo then I'm a nay. If they're in the second group and get rejected then I'm all for him.
Das ist nümberwang!
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#59 » by fam3381 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm pleased with the move. I might have preferred Carlisle, but his resume is fairly similar to Skiles'. I think the fact that so many veteran coaches were available means some people got wedded to the idea of one guy or the other, but given where this franchise has been and their inability to attract "name" coaches in the past, I think this is overall a good thing. Let's keep in mind JVG never appeared interested and Brown is probably the biggest gamble of any of these guys.

There is no dream coach out there...just a number of guys who have consistently won games while having some flaws. But that's the way the NBA goes...the number of superstar head coaches right now is exceptionally short: Jackson, Pop, and Sloan (and even he has never won a title). Maybe D'Antoni, but I think that's getting ahead of things.

I don't expect Skiles to last ten years or anything, but with a team that's starting over and working with a GM who wants to bring in the sort of players he likes, Skiles has the chance to turn this team around within a year or two IMO. Hopefully he learns from his previous experiences and becomes better at managing the way he interacts with players, but that's part of the deal--being a hardass causes problems at times, but it's also what makes him successful.

Bottom line: if you told me two months ago that we'd have Hammond (and Weltman) in the front office and Skiles as our coach, I would have taken it in a second. Now let's start working on that roster...
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,264

Post#60 » by LUKE23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Actually, it is more damning that Walsh didn't want Carlisle, even though he had a previous relationship with him.

This is a good hire for the Bucks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks