ImageImage

Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisle?)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#401 » by Newz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Great news... Hopefully we get a good coach to match up with him and they can put us on the right track.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#402 » by europa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:28 pm

SugarRay34 wrote:yeah about that story breaking though I almost guarantee you that every major hire is broken first by ESPN. Andy Katz, Marc Stein, Ric Bucher etc. They almost always get the info before the hometown guys in ANY paper. So you really cant blame them for that.

I don't blame them for the fact ESPN broke the story first. I do blame them for having shoddy coverage of the team throughout the season and for the fact they reported nothing of substance in terms of the search for the new GM. If it had been the Packers, McGinn and Silverstein would have left no stone unturned covering all the angles and getting as much information to the readers as possible. The Bucks are covered by hacks and it shows in 99% of their coverage during the season unfortunately.
Nothing will not break me.
Fandom
Junior
And1: 1

Post#403 » by Fandom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Great news!

Now give us JVG.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#404 » by chrbal » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:58 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't blame them for the fact ESPN broke the story first. I do blame them for having shoddy coverage of the team throughout the season and for the fact they reported nothing of substance in terms of the search for the new GM. If it had been the Packers, McGinn and Silverstein would have left no stone unturned covering all the angles and getting as much information to the readers as possible. The Bucks are covered by hacks and it shows in 99% of their coverage during the season unfortunately.

You are suprised that ESPN didn't follow the Bucks when a bunch of big trades happened and their was more turmoil with more popular teams (Bulls, Knicks, Pat Rileys' game day scouting trips, etc).
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,294

Post#405 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Sigra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I will try to explain my position with pictures:

I know that Hammond is a inteligent man. The force is with him. He thinks that he control situation and he thinks that he is the man. Very powerfull caracter indeed:

(picture)

But I am afreid that Herb Kohl is still more powerfull than him:

(picture)

Kohl as Palpatine? Brilliant :lol:

He even had that "inner circle" of advisers that he brought with him from Coruscant (Cousins Center) to the Death Star (Bradley Center)

Ron Walter on the far right, Ric Majerus on the far left, with Mike Burr and John Castellani in the back row and John Steinmiller in the front:

97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,261

Post#406 » by Sigra » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:11 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kohl as Palpatine? Brilliant :lol:

He even had that "inner circle" of advisers that he brought with him from Coruscant (Cousins Center) to the Death Star (Bradley Center)

Ron Walter on the far right, Ric Majerus on the far left, with Mike Burr and John Castellani in the back row and John Steinmiller in the front:

(picture)

:wink:
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#407 » by fam3381 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:19 pm

chrbal wrote:You are suprised that ESPN didn't follow the Bucks when a bunch of big trades happened and their was more turmoil with more popular teams (Bulls, Knicks, Pat Rileys' game day scouting trips, etc).

He was talking about the Journal-Sentinel, not ESPN. I don't think anyone is surprised the ESPN people aren't paying close attention to us, but that only makes their ability to break stories about the Bucks more curious.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#408 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:25 pm

RideEmCowboy24 wrote:my dad was 46 when i was born?

I don't know. Was he?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
fam3381
General Manager

Post#409 » by fam3381 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:36 pm

trwi7 wrote:I don't know. Was he?

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#410 » by pasting_monkeys » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:41 pm

fam3381 wrote:I'm Ron Burgundy?

Best movie ever.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#411 » by 6_Rings » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:22 pm

looks like hammond's only gonna retain Bogut and Yi.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... ed_roster/
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#412 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm

pasting_monkeys wrote:Best movie ever.

I think you need to see more movies.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#413 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

6_Rings wrote:looks like hammond's only gonna retain Bogut and Yi.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... ed_roster/

That's an interesting way to interpret the article you linked...
the link you posted wrote:Asked if Michael Redd could be considered a cornerstone of the franchise, Hammond said: "I think you have to right now. What he can do on the offensive end of the floor, there aren't many guys who can do that. When you start talking about the best shooters in the NBA, you talk about Michael Redd."

Now I don't believe a word printed in any article, but if this article is going to be our source, you've got to believe that he's going to keep Redd.
TheTrivium
Junior
And1: 0

Post#414 » by TheTrivium » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 am

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Now I don't believe a word printed in any article, but if this article is going to be our source, you've got to believe that he's going to keep Redd.

They asked him about Redd, what is he suppose to say, especially if he thinks he should shop him, which im sure he is exploring.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#415 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Dahner62084 wrote:They asked him about Redd, what is he suppose to say, especially if he thinks he should shop him, which im sure he is exploring.
I agree, but you shouldn't take a link which speaks highly of three players and use it as your source for saying that only two players are going to be kept.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#416 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

ok I have a man crush on Hammond...

He is on 1250 right now...
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#417 » by wichmae » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Sparky asking great questions to Hammond...
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#418 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Dahner62084 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They asked him about Redd, what is he suppose to say, especially if he thinks he should shop him, which im sure he is exploring.
Admittedly I didn't watch the press conference and actually came here first before I listened to the audio clip on jsonline.com.. so initially I went along with everyone's perception of it when it came to how he expressed his opinion of Redd, that is until I listened to it for myself.

In my opinion he sounded positive about Bogut and Yi, and honestly the most excited about Yi out of anyone (with the statement that he "loves his game") but he didn't sound as non-commital (in my opinon) regarding Redd as some have stated.

He was asked specifically about Bogut, Redd, and Yi.. and he even stated something to the effect of "well you only asked me about these guys..(paraphrasing), but blah blah blah blah".. which doesn't really give us a good handle on how he feels about others on the roster. His comment about Redd sounds somewhat like Redd is figured into the plans for now, and it doesn't give an indication about whether he will pursue trades involving him or not. I think paulpressey was right in a previous posting where he said this isn't Larry Harris, we can't read alot into how he says things because he is a more experienced and seasoned professional. For all we know he could be head over heels for a majority of the roster or less than impressed with most of them.

All we have to go on is his reputation with the Pistons as a defense first minded upper management guy. So what that tells me when breaking down the roster individually is the following:

Mo Williams - Is not a good fit for the system he is known for helping to build. I think Hammond values the need for a good shooter but does that mean he needs two guys competing to be "that guy"? Not sure, but I think he could be part of the "unpopular move group".

Charlie Bell - Seems like a Hammond type player. He works hard. Plays a two way game (SG/PG) and works hard defensively. Sounds like he will be part of the team in my opinion.

Ramon Sessions - Might be a Hammond type of player. Showed some good things initially on on the defensive end but has started to fall off in the department very quickly. Hustles which is a plus for him. He's still developing and is on a reasonable contract. Oh and he's known for working hard.. so I don't see him going anywhere.

Michael Redd - Not a good defender, and not necessarily a Hammond type of player. It's debatable whether he keeps him. I think he sees value in having a guy like him on the team, but does that mean he wants to see him here in the new system he's building? I don't know. I don't think he would keep both Redd and Mo if he could help it so I could see a change coming for one of the two players. I also know that Detroit traded for a guy some years ago that wasn't necessarily known as a good defender mainly because of his shooting ability and surrounded him with other guys that helped make up for his inconsistencies on that end and eventually that guy started showing more on the defensive end and became known as a "good" defender. (for those who don't know who I am talking about.. I am referring to Rip Hamilton) Does he think he could do the same with Redd? Not sure.

Desmond Mason - Seems like a Hammond type of player to me. Hustles, defends, can play a little of the SF and SG.. works hard. He isn't starting material anymore but he's a good fit coming off the bench or replacing an injured SF when needed. I really don't see him going anywhere.

Royal Ivey - Is a decent defender at times, but easily fell into the "I need to provide offensive" trap when we weren't scoring well this season. He might be seen as a decent player to bring back and might be close to what Hammond is looking for. However, he may be looking to upgrade the talent which could mean he isn't retained.

Awvee Storey - He isn't going to see much playing time regardless of who is the GM or coach, and is mostly a practice body. Could end up being a throw in for a trade .

Bobby Simmons - Was once known as a good defender even though he has never had the lateral quickness to match starting SG/SF's in the league. Hasn't looked good a majority of the season but has looked better toward the end of the season. Personally, I worry that if the decision is made to retain Bogut and Redd then keeping a guy like Simmons only further adds to our list of guys that lack lateral quickness and could continue to hurt us on the defensive end. I think it will be hard to say what he does with Bobby. Is he a Hammond type of player? I am not sure. He hasn't looked very good defensively since he got here (even pre injury).. although he isn't as bad as Redd or Mo. Is he a smart basketball player or just a physical basketball player? At times I have wondered about his bball IQ..

Charlie Villanueva - Since he has professed his strong admiration for Yi's game, I just can't see CV as part of the plans going forward. He doesn't defend. Isn't focused and doesn't ever appear to work hard on the court. He just isn't a Hammond type of player.. and I have a hard time seeing him being here at the start of last season. I know for a fact that Harris tried hard to dump him but wasn't allowed too.. will Kohl allow his butt boy to be traded?

Yi Jianlian - Is a Hammond type of player. He shows promise in every area of his game that Hammond is looking for... so I don't see him being traded. Also Yi represents a financial boon for the State of Wisconsin that just doesn't make it seem like a smart decision to move him this soon (even if he wasn't a Hammond type of guy) this early in his career.

Michael Ruffin - Also seems like a Hammond type of player. Could he find the same things he gets from Ruffin in another player + some added skills? Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is brought back for another season.

Andrew Bogut - Seems like a Hammond type of guy, especially since he has played better defensively this year. The question is how much Hammond thinks this kid is worth? Personally I think it would be very reasonable to pay him a little less than what Kaman got in his deal, but wouldn't be surprised if he got a deal similar to what Kaman received.

Dan Gadzuric - Isn't a really smart basketball player, but possesses some of the characteristics that Hammond is looking for.. mainly those characteristics being that he is reportedly a hard worker, good team guy (willing to play his role), hustles, and will play some above the rim defense (not a good positional defender though). Is he going to be traded though because he just hasn't ever lived up to his contract? Possibly, but I think a lot depends on what Hammond is able to get in return to replace him? I could see him being added on to a deal involving CV or another player.. if Hammond can get good quality in return at a cheaper price.

Jake Voskuhl - The problem with JV is the money being paid for him. I think he possesses some of the qualities that Hammond likes in players but he also gets paid around $3 million to be bench fodder. I'm not sure that fits into what Hammond sees as the bigger picture for this team next season.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#419 » by chrbal » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:34 pm

I didn't read all 35 pages, but i'm honestly convinced that Hammond might look to make major changes right away. He has been working with Joe Dumars who tore the Pistons roster apart starting with the Hill Sign and trade to Orlando that brought Ben to Detroit.

So, i'm guessing that Voshkul, Ruffin, Storey, and possibly Ivey are gone.

If anyone gets bought out its either Simmons (wow! a 6'6" Sf who plays adequately) or Gadzuric (pretty much everything Caramelbrownqueen said above me, about Dan).

Redd, Bogut, and Yi are the cornerstones for now (see Jerry Stackhouse, for Redd, in Detroit after Hill).

Bell is possiblity to be traded since he doesn't really make that much on a per year basis.

Mason will be an expiring to help make a trade happen.

Villanueva will be a trade piece...although I could see him traded to Memphis for one of their PGs.

Mo Williams is a good fit PG for now. I don't think they'll see him as a key piece.

Sessions is a key project.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#420 » by europa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Excellent breakdown sis. I agree with your list about who appears to be a Hammond player and who doesn't. Mo and Villanueva appear 180 degrees removed from what he seems to prefer so I can see them being on the top of his list of players to be dealt. Redd stays for at least a season as Hammond appears to value his strong ability to score and he may think Redd could fit into a Rip Hamilton-type role.

As far as the rest, Bogut and Yi are the cornerstones. That's become quite clear I think. Dez and Bell could be viewed as Hammont-type players but Dez's expiring deal gives him trade value (and Hammond seems to understand the value of building a team through trades) and the length of Bell's contract is a major issue (that runs contrary to how the Pistons have done things) so I could see both gone by the deadline at the latest. Dez with a much stronger chance of being traded.

Ruffin strikes me as a good backup type player. He can play both frontcourt positions in a pinch and by all accounts is a good locker room guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he was re-signed. I think he'll look to trade Gadz if he can find a taker. Simmons is tougher because his contract is an issue. He could be a guy who remains until his deal expires and then Hammond takes advantage of that as a trade asset.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks