ImageImage

Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisle?)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#121 » by LUKE23 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm

showtimesam wrote:I'm not to worried, I doubt Hammond would take the job if he couldn't oversee and make decisions on his first draft.

Thanks Herbie, now its time to offer up the cash to bring in Carlisle and lock up Bogut.

I agree. Hammond has been around the block a while. I'm sure he is well aware of the word on the street that Kohl has become too meddlesome. I highly doubt he leaves Detroit just for more cash if he's going to be a puppet.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#122 » by DH34Phan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree. Hammond has been around the block a while. I'm sure he is well aware of the word on the street that Kohl has become too meddlesome. I highly doubt he leaves Detroit just for more cash if he's going to be a puppet.

Why would Kohl even bring in a new guy to be a puppet?

He could have easily hired Babcock for cheaper to be a puppet.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#123 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 pm

xTitan wrote:Dave Babcock probably will be in charge of the draft, that doesn't mean he will be picking the player. I know that everyone likes to rip Babcock but he has a strong reputation for player personnel and scouting, did not want him to be GM at all, but that doesn't mean he is clueless whenn judging college talent.

Yeah the Babcock bashing is mostly a result of uninformed groupthink. I admittedly would probably go along with it if I didn't have a little personal experience with the guy.

Babcock would have taken Rudy Gay with the number 1 pick in 2006. Gay ended up going 8th, and it could be argued that he's the second best player from that draft class behind Brandon Roy (who went 6th).

There really is no reason to not want Babcock to remain with the Bucks.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#124 » by fam3381 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm

xTitan wrote:Dave Babcock probably will be in charge of the draft, that doesn't mean he will be picking the player. I know that everyone likes to rip Babcock but he has a strong reputation for player personnel and scouting, did not want him to be GM at all, but that doesn't mean he is clueless whenn judging college talent.

Kohl didn't have a GM when he said Babcock was running the draft, so I would think part of that statement stems from Kohl simply not wanting to underscore how rudderless the ship was. You can't put tons of responsibility on a person who doesn't exist, but now we do have someone and given he's a current executive he shouldn't be totally in the dark on draft issues (though he's not a "veteran of the lottery process"!).

Babcock has been heading our scouting for draft stuff, so obviously he shoudl be more informed on the guys we will likely be looking at. But if Hammond wants one guy and Babcock wants another, is Kohl going to let Babcock--a guy he didn't want to promote to GM--overrule the guy he just paid a ton of money to? As much as we caricature Kohl's decision-making, I would expect he'll give him a chance to do his thing.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#125 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Chapter29 wrote:Good luck with that CBQ. Simmons is likely here to stay.

I wouldn't mind seeing him gone either, but I also have hope that he can become a decent player for us. Probably will never justify his salary, but none the less.
I'm thinking we will probably have Bogut and Redd back... we don't need to keep yet one more guy with poor lateral quickness, so I would probably dump Simmons if I was able too.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#126 » by LUKE23 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I have zero issues with Babcock staying on for draft/scouting reasons. I just didn't want an internal hire as a GM, because I think the team badly needed an outside objective opinion, and I think coming from the organization it would have been extremely hard for Babcock to have the same outlook.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#127 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Whats new? :P
Definitely not thinking about Bobby like that.. :lol:
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#128 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What makes you guaranty that?

I certainly hope that is the case, and it is possible it will be the case, but unless Kohl has changed his mind, Babcock is to be kept on as DPP and will be in charge of this draft.

Bc Hammond would be a idiot to take the job if he wasn't incharge of who they draft. Why leave the Pistons if your gonna be a puppet for one of the worst teams/situations in the NBA right now.
DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#129 » by DPGBucks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Have any details to the terms of the signing been released yet? I'm at work so I haven't been able to read the whole thread-

Thanks!
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#130 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm

fam3381 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kohl didn't have a GM when he said Babcock was running the draft, so I would think part of that statement stems from Kohl simply not wanting to underscore how rudderless the ship was. You can't put tons of responsibility on a person who doesn't exist, but now we do have someone and given he's a current executive he shouldn't be totally in the dark on draft issues (though he's not a "veteran of the lottery process"!).

Babcock has been heading our scouting for draft stuff, so obviously he shoudl be more informed on the guys we will likely be looking at. But if Hammond wants one guy and Babcock wants another, is Kohl going to let Babcock--a guy he didn't want to promote to GM--overrule the guy he just paid a ton of money to? As much as we caricature Kohl's decision-making, I would expect he'll give him a chance to do his thing.

If Hammond is the intelligent person we all believe he is, I am sure his contract states he will be they guy to make all player personnel decisions and I would expect him to have the final word.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#131 » by Jollay » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Note the "hire a vet coach to make a strong, firm assessment of the teams talent"

That means, like I have stated, little chance of huge offseason movement until this happens.

Coaches like to coach and see their players on the floor before they assess them. They generally don't rely completely on film....

Trading deadline next year is when most of the major moves are made, if the new coach/GM agrees with most of you guys' assessment, that the current nucleus is fatally flawed.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#132 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm

DPGBucks wrote:Have any details to the terms of the signing been released yet? I'm at work so I haven't been able to read the whole thread-

Thanks!
Probably won't get all of that until sometime after Monday.

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,825

Post#133 » by zeebneeb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm

:clap: This is an excellent move by the Bucks, and it was not easy to get Hammond to leave multiple teams have been gunning for him for quite some time now.

As a long time Pistons fan, here are somethings to expect;

1.)He has worked side-by-side with Joe since 01 if memory serves correct, and it didnt take long for them to see the faults, and make moves to improve the team quickly.

2.)Expect next year to be a "look and see" type of season. I wouldnt expect any major trades this summer, unless a "cant miss" move happens. Joe's first year was much like this.

3.)Hammond will bring in a top-flight coach. You wont see has-beens, or nobodys roaming the Bucks sidelines, period.

4.)Hammond is a smart, smart man. He wont make any dumbass moves, but expect some trades to make you scratch your head. This has happened in Detroit now multiple times. This is the reason why we have the "In joe we trust" slogan ingrained into our heads. The RIP deal, and Rasheed deal, the Dice deal, e.t.c. At first they seem bad, but trust me, vision takes time.

5.)Expect 100% effort out of your players. Anyone screwing around, not playing hard, or under-commited will be shipped out. This is the Pistons culture. This griping about, or asking for a trade will be accomodated. Lockerroom cohesion is a big deal to Joe/John.

6.)Joe and John will talk alot about the team. Expect alot of input from Dumars.

7.)YOUR TEAM WILL PLAY DEFENSE. Dont worry about it anymore. Hammond knows what gets teams to the top, and thats defense. Its what Pistons culture is all about. If you dont play defense in Detroit, no matter how many points you score, you just wont play. Look at many of the Pistons players, and what they were before they came here. Ask any Pistons fan about RIP's defense when he first got to Detroit, and what it is now.

Give it time guys, the Bucks are a mess right now, and some tough moves are going to be made. "Trust in John" and all will be fine.
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#134 » by THE DINJ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 pm

I thought Hammond was just going to wait until the Raptors job opened up. With the dinosaurs and everything.

Anyways...

Sounds like a good hire. I feel bad for LK, who seems like a decent guy, but like Stotts was just not right for this job.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#135 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Jollay wrote:Note the "hire a vet coach to make a strong, firm assessment of the teams talent"

That means, like I have stated, little chance of huge offseason movement until this happens.

Coaches like to coach and see their players on the floor before they assess them. They generally don't rely completely on film....

Trading deadline next year is when most of the major moves are made, if the new coach/GM agrees with most of you guys' assessment, that the current nucleus is fatally flawed.
:nod: Yep that is usually correct.

BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#136 » by BuckFan25226 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

This is the best new I've heard in regards to the Bucks in a very very long time.

We got the GM I believe we all wanted. Now lets go get a real coach please.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#137 » by bigkurty » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

My first time checking the boards today and what sweet news this is. My Sig says Simmons but my first choice was Hammond. If he can really bring Carlisle in too and Kohl lets those two guys do what they do best, the league better watch out cause we just went from one of the biggest jokes of a GM/Coach combo to one of the best GM/coach combos overnight and mind you I liked LH. All we need to do now is fire Walter and hire GAD and then we can quit worrying about the management of the team.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#138 » by BuckFan25226 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:52 pm

zeebneeb wrote::clap: This is an excellent move by the Bucks, and it was not easy to get Hammond to leave multiple teams have been gunning for him for quite some time now.

1.)He has worked side-by-side with Joe since 01 if memory serves correct, and it didnt take long for them to see the faults, and make moves to improve the team quickly.

2.)Expect next year to be a "look and see" type of season. I wouldnt expect any major trades this summer, unless a "cant miss" move happens. Joe's first year was much like this.

3.)Hammond will bring in a top-flight coach. You wont see has-beens, or nobodys roaming the Bucks sidelines, period.

4.)Hammond is a smart, smart man. He wont make any dumbass moves, but expect some trades to make you scratch your head. This has happened in Detroit now multiple times. This is the reason why we have the "In joe we trust" slogan ingrained into our heads. The RIP deal, and Rasheed deal, the Dice deal, e.t.c. At first they seem bad, but trust me, vision takes time.

5.)Expect 100% effort out of your players. Anyone screwing around, not playing hard, or under-commited will be shipped out. This is the Pistons culture. This griping about, or asking for a trade will be accomodated. Lockerroom cohesion is a big deal to Joe/John.

6.)Joe and John will talk alot about the team. Expect alot of input from Dumars.

7.)YOUR TEAM WILL PLAY DEFENSE. Dont worry about it anymore. Hammond knows what gets teams to the top, and thats defense. Its what Pistons culture is all about. If you dont play defense in Detroit, no matter how many points you score, you just wont play. Look at many of the Pistons players, and what they were before they came here. Ask any Pistons fan about RIP's defense when he first got to Detroit, and what it is now.

Give it time guys, the Bucks are a mess right now, and some tough moves are going to be made. "Trust in John" and all will be fine.

This post made me have a funny feeling in my pants.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#139 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm

zeebneeb wrote::clap: This is an excellent move by the Bucks, and it was not easy to get Hammond to leave multiple teams have been gunning for him for quite some time now.

Thanks so much for the input.

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#140 » by bigkurty » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 pm

That is a great post. You make me feel so good about our future for once and I actually believe it. We have been sold so much crap here in the past that it is hard to really feel like there is a chance to improve with this team but this move and your post have helped give me a renewed sense of hope. Thank you.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks