ImageImage

Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisle?)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#101 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:10 pm

emunney wrote:With Stotts as lead assistant? Epi, any chance?

If Kohl suddenly sells the team, I'm guessing Stotts would give serious consideration to that. It still would be hard to return here after the circumstances of his prior employment here, so I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to even if Kohl was no longer here.

With Kohl still here though?
0.01% chance
And it is only that high because Kohl could go crazy and offer him a truckload of money to come back here or something, so much money that Stotts couldn't pass it up.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#102 » by LUKE23 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Given his reluctance to leave the Pistons, I am pretty confident that Hammond took this job under the assumption he gets full autonomy. Now, that could be wishful thinking, but I believe it to be the case.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,013

Post#103 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:I am 100% sure Kohl gave him full power..in the ESPN article it says it took allot of convincing for Hammond to leave the Pistons, he wouldn't f left a job he loved so much to a place where he would have the same say he had in Detroit.

Hammond has had plenty of job offers over the years but he decided to come here..Kohl had to offer something he could not refuse.

READ

No one, and mean NO ONE can be close to 100% sure Kohl gave him full power.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#104 » by Chapter29 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Fantastic news! Whew.

Now go hire Carlisle or Brown.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#105 » by crkone » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Wooooooooo!!!! Happy Times!!!!!!! Hooray!!!! Hazzah!!!!!

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#106 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hopefully.

But what makes you think he will be?

Kohl has stated that Dave Babcock will be in charge of the draft.

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that has changed.

This is also a reminder that unless something has changed, Hammond is being forced to keep Dave Babcock. Let's not forget that.

Oh don't bring us all down :)

I have always taken the 'Babs will be in charge of the draft' as lip service to the fans that there is a contingency plan in place if a GM isn't hired before draft night, so I'd be pretty shocked if Babs is going to get the final say on who we're picking.
Go Bucks!
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#107 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Bernman wrote:Kohl's top candidate was Hammonds because he read on RealGM that he was the overwhelming favorite of fans, who after the bag revolt Herb finally cared to appease.

Hammonds read on RealGM that he was the overwhelming favorite of fans, and that was the reason for his change of heart, after his initial reticence to accept the Bucks' job.

Power of RealGM

:)

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:I guarntee you Dave Babcock is not in charge of the draft.

What makes you guaranty that?

I certainly hope that is the case, and it is possible it will be the case, but unless Kohl has changed his mind, Babcock is to be kept on as DPP and will be in charge of this draft.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,731

Post#108 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:16 pm

:clap:

This news made my day, and it needed to be made. I'd say we got the guy that was close to our consensus. First duty is to go out and hire a vet, the "sources" say. I hope they're right. Carlisle would be absolutely awesome IMO.

EDIT: It would be beyond **** up if our brand new GM didn't get to make his own pick in the draft. He's the guy that will be (re)building our team from this point forward. Let him make the damn pick of who he wants to fit his vision.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#109 » by showtimesam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm not to worried, I doubt Hammond would take the job if he couldn't oversee and make decisions on his first draft.

Thanks Herbie, now its time to offer up the cash to bring in Carlisle and lock up Bogut.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#110 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:19 pm

piecing together bits of information that we have read and basic knowledge of Mr. Hammond, I feel somewhat good that he has covered all bases in his contractual agreement. I would not be surprised, as a matter of fact, I might be more surprised if he in not named GM/VP of Basketball Operations. What I have heard is that Hammonds is very bright, he is well aware of the Bucks "situation", the other thing that has become obvious is that Kohl became very well aware that everyone in NBA circles was aware of his reputation and it was not pleasant. In order for Kohl to move forward in a positive way he had to change the way he did things, I really believe it was more than just throwing big $$$ at Hammonds, he was and would still have been, highly sought after for many GM positions.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#111 » by Chapter29 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:What makes you guaranty that?

I certainly hope that is the case, and it is possible it will be the case, but unless Kohl has changed his mind, Babcock is to be kept on as DPP and will be in charge of this draft.

Not saying that Babcock wont be involved, but isn't that a primary job of a GM?

My guess is that Hammond will either be in charge or a major player.

This guy isn't going to come to the Bucks just to be a puppet. As highly sought after as he apparently was and as respected as he is I cannot see it.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#112 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 pm

1000Degreez wrote:This is good news for our BSimmons relationship too. If we had hired King, Sund, or Babcock he would have ripped the Bucks left and right. At least this brings us a little respect.
I like Bobby Simmons and was hoping that things would work out where he could be strong part of this team going forward. But honestly, I am only concerned about the best fit for making this team better.. and I am no longer convinced that Bobby Simmons is a good fit here. He needs to go with Mo and CV in my opinion.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#113 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:21 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Or it means that Kohl kept upping the price until Hammond was willing to ignore the issues with Kohl and his momes. That is almost certainly what occurred (although I cannot as of yet confirm this myself).

Hammond knew of the issues with the power structure on this franchise and this was why he had decided not to leave his Pistons job to be our GM.

Short of firing Ron Walter, I doubt there is anything Kohl could have done to convince Hammond that he would be serious about letting Hammond actually do his job here.

So it would seem natural that an increased compensation package is what got the job done here.

If that is the case, I will at least give Kohl credit for that though. He had so far not been willing to spend the kind of serious money it would take to actually land the kind of people we were pursuing. Let's hope that he will not go cheap on the coach now. Hopefully he lets Hammond pick the coach, but that still won't do any good if Kohl (perhaps/likely via the advice of Ron Walter, Mike Burr and possibly others) doesn't allow us to spend what it takes to get the coach that Hammond would want.

Allowing us to try and hire Carlisle (or another higher priced coach) is one thing, but allowing us to spend the money required to get Carlisle to actually accept an offer from us is another.

MickeyDavis wrote:
Even if Kohl said all the right things we'll see what happens when Hammond wants to do a move that Ron Walter doesn't like. THAT'S when we'll see if there is a new Herb Kohl in town.

Absolutely.

Kohl should get no benefit of the doubt from anyone on anything at this point.

This is a step in the right direction though. And it could be a major step. Time will tell.

And I will not be ready to say that Senator Kohl has reformed his ways even after a season or two of getting out of Hammond's way if we are fortunate enough for that to occur. Kohl cannot just give Hammond a one or two year honeymoon period to run things as Hammond would run things, only for Kohl to become impatient or whatever and then resume his meddlesome ways at that point.

Hopefully.

But what makes you think he will be?

Kohl has stated that Dave Babcock will be in charge of the draft.

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that has changed.

This is also a reminder that unless something has changed, Hammond is being forced to keep Dave Babcock. Let's not forget that.

Ahh glad to see theres still someone else here that hasnt gone completely nuts just because of this hire. :D Can always count on you for that Dan.

I mean i understand people wanting to be happy and optimistic about this, but it seems to be blind optimism at this point. This move alone still doesnt mean a damn thing.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#114 » by Chapter29 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Good luck with that CBQ. Simmons is likely here to stay.

I wouldn't mind seeing him gone either, but I also have hope that he can become a decent player for us. Probably will never justify his salary, but none the less.
Giannis
is
UponUs
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#115 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No offense, but I could care less what Bill Simmons thinks.
Oh he was talkinga bout Bill, I was thinking about Bobby.. Yeah I don't care what he thinks either.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#116 » by xTitan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Dave Babcock probably will be in charge of the draft, that doesn't mean he will be picking the player. I know that everyone likes to rip Babcock but he has a strong reputation for player personnel and scouting, did not want him to be GM at all, but that doesn't mean he is clueless whenn judging college talent.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#117 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:24 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh he was talkinga bout Bill, I was thinking about Bobby.. Yeah I don't care what he thinks either.

Whats new? :P
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#118 » by DH34Phan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:24 pm

I like Bobby Simmons and was hoping that things would work out where he could be strong part of this team going forward. But honestly, I am only concerned about the best fit for making this team better.. and I am no longer convinced that Bobby Simmons is a good fit here. He needs to go with Mo and CV in my opinion.

He was talking about Bill Simmons.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,363

Post#119 » by Wooderson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 pm

That's pretty funny cause I think I actually care more what Bill Simmons thinks than Bobby. Hopefully Hammond finds a way to pawn that bum off on some other team.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#120 » by Nolan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 pm

good hire he's really going to help this team turn things around.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks