ImageImage

Woeffel Update - Bucks could hire coach before GM

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#21 » by europa » Wed Apr 9, 2008 4:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't want another internal hire either but I'd take an unproven Babcock to a proven loser like King.

I'll pass on that one, MD. I'm not sure what Babcock has done to even deserve consideration for the role. The only candidate I have Babcock rated higher than is Sund.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,268

Post#22 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:37 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'll pass on that one, MD. I'm not sure what Babcock has done to even deserve consideration for the role. The only candidate I have Babcock rated higher than is Sund.

Agreed on this, Sund is last on my list (by far). I have King and Babcock ranked pretty closely (for crappiness), but I'd probably go King over Babcock just because he's an outside mind. It's not like Babcock has made decisions that have led to success, plus he's guaranteed to be a KP.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#23 » by europa » Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:38 pm

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Agreed on this, Sund is last on my list (by far). I have King and Babcock ranked pretty closely (for crappiness), but I'd probably go King over Babcock just because he's an outside mind. It's not like Babcock has made decisions that have led to success, plus he's guaranteed to be a KP.

Yup. I don't want anyone associated with this mess of a team given the title of attempting to fix it. I think King would be an absolutely awful hire but at least he'd bring an outside vision to the equation which makes him less awful than Babcock in my opinion.
Nothing will not break me.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#24 » by fam3381 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:44 pm

europa wrote:Yup. I don't want anyone associated with this mess of a team given the title of attempting to fix it. I think King would be an absolutely awful hire but at least he'd bring an outside vision to the equation which makes him less awful than Babcock in my opinion.

It would also be fitting if we hired him too late to be a meaningful part of our '08 draft, since that's really the only aspect of being a GM that he showed any ability in.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,156

Post#25 » by midranger » Wed Apr 9, 2008 9:25 pm

europa wrote:Woelfel also was quoted as calling Larry Harris "a shrewd draft evaluator" and then offering up Jason Hart as evidence of it. His research skills need more work - and that's definitely the case if he's hyping up Billy King.

Figures the Bucks would get this whole process ass backwards.

I love this team.

But if he says Redd had a good year and Mo is untradeable, it's Gospel.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,156

Post#26 » by midranger » Wed Apr 9, 2008 9:28 pm

BTW....

So now Kohl has taken to publicly meddling with the team.

He has openly stated Babcock will handle the draft, and now it appears he'll pick the coach.

What elite GM wouldn't want to walk into a situation where he has no control over anything?

Wow. I hate Kohl more by the day.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: Woeffel Update - Bucks could hire coach before GM 

Post#27 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Apr 9, 2008 10:39 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Woeffel was on the radio this morning. Fill in what I might have missed.

He didn't offer anything new on the GM search other than the guys we are voting on in the poll thread. But he did seem to say there are some rumors (I hope he's not reading those here) that Herb Kohl knows he has to make a splash with a big hiring and that the GM's available aren't going to do that.

There is a school of thought that he'll hire a big name coach first. I think this is basically a re-hash of the Larry Brown rumor but who knows.....

The other thing is that Woeffel talked up Billy King a bit, saying he was part of the 2001 Philly team that beat the Bucks. Again, just poor memory. Larry Brown was running that team and picking the players, not Billy King. Once Brown left, that team imploded with questionable draft choices, bad trades and horrible contracts.
Okay I have a busy day at work and this is what I come back too? :nonono: Wow.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#28 » by xTitan » Wed Apr 9, 2008 10:44 pm

Homer said the on some ESPN video blog, Rich Bucher was quoted as saying that as of right now Larry K. is the only coach definitely not coming back unless the new GM would choose him. In the same Blog, Stein has said that Kohl as been inquiring about Brown but would prefer to have a GM hire the coach.
Legend_Returns
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Legend_Returns » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 pm

[quote="xTitan"]Homer said the on some ESPN video blog, Rich Bucher was quoted as saying that as of right now Larry K. is the only coach definitely not coming back [quote]

That's the best thing I've heard all year!

God bless you, Ric Bucher!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks