ImageImage

Another version of team meeting

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#161 » by xTitan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:25 am

El Duderino wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, that is a decent comparison, except the venom thrown the way of Mo is much more harsh than anything at Bogut in most cases. What i don't get is often criticism in threads about Bogut is tame and even still those who say anything bad about Andrew have his groupies acting like people were saying Bogut flat out sucks and they want him shipped out of town ASAP.

No question though that i see people looking to defend Mo at times where it's not warranted, especially given he's done nothing at all to get better defensively which by far is his biggest weakness.

I think most people feel Bogut's game is still evolving and has some to go yet...he needs to find his jump shot for sure....to me it just seems that people who defend Mo do it almost defiantly, maybe thats because of the position Williams plays and the fact that peole see how that position should be handled differently.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#162 » by Fort Minor » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:55 am

midranger wrote:I don't know how any one could seriously contend that our offense is better this year than last. The efficiency numbers certainly don't bear that out. Nor does the record. Just because it better fits what some people's (including my own) preconceived notion of what offense should be, doesn't make it good. Just because you favorite player had a single good month in this offense doesn't make it good.

One of our biggest problems this year has been the 12 point quarters that we love to throw in to ruin 3 solid quarters. That simply didn't happen last year. We didn't fall into prolonged offensive funks trying to force our square peg of a team into a round hole. That's whats happening this year

No one can contend with the fact that last year's offense was more potent. But I think we all question where that offense will take us. What is its ceiling compared to the ceiling of a offnese centered around a Bogut who lives up to his potential? No offense similar to our shot-happy guard dominated setup has led any teams to any titles in recent memory. You could say the Pistons, but they essentially have better players than us at all five positions and play great D.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#163 » by El Duderino » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:13 am

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think most people feel Bogut's game is still evolving and has some to go yet...he needs to find his jump shot for sure....to me it just seems that people who defend Mo do it almost defiantly, maybe thats because of the position Williams plays and the fact that peole see how that position should be handled differently.

Prior to this season my issues with Bogut were

1. Nothing bothered me more than anything about Andrew than his picking games to sulk and even flat out quit on the team if he was either getting dominated by his man or he wasn't happy with his teammates. Then i'd see supporters of Bogut find any excuse possible to give Andrew a pass for this when IMO there was nothing whatsoever to excuse his doing that. I actually saw some here trying to spin his quitting in games as his way to show how much he cares about winning. :roll:

To his credit, this year he's stopped do it this year. Now when he's playing poorly on offense or getting shunned by the guards, i don't see that terrible body language or him quitting to where he doesn't care if his man is just owning him.

2. He was soft defensively for a big man. This year has been a dramatic shift. He's not only blocking shots, he's getting off his feet and trying to alter shots. Great to see.

3. He was way to passive offensively. Sure there were quite a few games where he was ignored, but there were multiple others where his defender would own him early and Andrew would go in a shell where he looked to have zero confidence he could score on his guy. I still think he gets passive if he struggles scoring early, but nowhere near as bad and his post skills are better, but still lacking pretty much outside of little hooks. Some nights thats enough if he's on or defended by an overmatched big. When those aren't going though, he really has little else to turn to scoring wise.

4. No jumper at all. I was hoping so badly that Andrew would come into this year with a jump shot. Outside of select dominant bigs in the Shaq mold that can score all the time in the paint, most quality bigs can hit both a face up midrange jumper and has a post up jumper. This along with paint skills make a good big man so tough to guard. They can then score in multiple ways and on multiple spots on the court. Bogut can score in the paint, that's it and on nights teams take that away or he's off, he has little else to turn to. Nothing needs to be said for his near Gadzuric like free throw shooting.

5. Bogut as a rebounder. This is his third season and all three years he's been a very mediocre rebounder. Not terrible, nothing special either. I expected him to be a top notch rebounder. He has the size and hands to rebound better and more consistently than he does. Many want to mainly blame the guards for this, that's a cop out given rebound rate. Great rebounders are ferocious rebounders, Andrew isn't that.

I don't think anything about my views have an anti-Bogut bias, i want nothing more than him to be better than he's shown and he's the last guy on the team i'd trade. But often when i've posted stuff like this, i've been called either a hater or anti-Bogut as if all i do is rip him or want him to fail.

As for Mo, i like him more than some here, but i was still leery of resigning him because of his bad defense and making matters worse, teamed with Redd's defense. Once we signed him, i hoped he'd at least improve his defense some, but wasn't too optimistic he would. He obviously hasn't. I've spent 5 years watching a bad defensive backcourt between TJ/Redd or Mo/Redd, i was tired of it before and by now it drives me crazy. At least one has to go, both wouldn't bother me at all either.

I think at times Mo gets way more blame than he deserves for the Bucks losing given the sad shape of this roster and having a rookie coach in over his head, but given his indifference to defense many nights, i can't put effort anymore into defending him much even during times i think he's getting more overall blame than he deserves. Suck it up and defend, it's not asking alot if you get a 52 million dollar contract from a team.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#164 » by Fort Minor » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:20 am

Bogut's lack of jump shot frustrates me to know end. EVERYONE is correct when they say he'd be much more suited to take more shots if he had his jump shot.

He could shoot at Utah, and fairly well. Didn't he attempt like a 3 a game his sophmore season?? Is it all just confidence? Or did he tinker with his shot to the point of no return now? W-T-F???
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,325

Post#165 » by rilamann » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:54 am

Fort Minor wrote:Bogut's lack of jump shot frustrates me to know end. EVERYONE is correct when they say he'd be much more suited to take more shots if he had his jump shot.

He could shoot at Utah, and fairly well. Didn't he attempt like a 3 a game his sophmore season?? Is it all just confidence? Or did he tinker with his shot to the point of no return now? W-T-F???

Check out Bogut's strengths comming out of college written by NBAdraft.net.

''Strengths: Quite possibly the top player of his class...Has an NBA-ready game...Exceptional fundamentals...Always plays with a high level of intensity...Devastating drop-step...Can shoot jump-hook with either hand... McHale-esque footwork on the block...Very sharp mechanics on his jumper...Can shoot the ball out to 18 feet ...Can handle the ball well for a 7-footer...Very creative in establishing his positioning...Shoots an incredibly high percentage from the floor (64% this season)...Unbelievable passer out of the double/triple-team...Stellar court vision...A monster on the glass...Possibly the best rebounder (offensive and defensive) in college basketball...Catches everything...Good one-on-one defender...[size=150]Isn
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#166 » by midranger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 am

Fort Minor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No one can contend with the fact that last year's offense was more potent. But I think we all question where that offense will take us. What is its ceiling compared to the ceiling of a offnese centered around a Bogut who lives up to his potential? No offense similar to our shot-happy guard dominated setup has led any teams to any titles in recent memory. You could say the Pistons, but they essentially have better players than us at all five positions and play great D.

Thats all well and good. However, what you're saying is that for the potential to make the team better long term we probably have to take a step back this year. Last year we were bad, that means the expectations should be for terrible this year. Which has happened. But the higher ups still expected great things. The two concepts just don't jive. If you want to develop Bogut by running the offense through him and expect to win, then he better be one hell of great player. And he's not. He's a below average offense player with severe limitations and no idea how to handle a double team. Bad mix.

I think a few players' beef (Mo, Redd) is that they're probably being ridden by management and the coaching staff for not winning games. When in fact the decision to change a good offense into a bad offense for development purposes is what has killed us.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#167 » by Stopshere2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 am

El Duderino wrote:
Prior to this season my issues with Bogut were

1. Nothing bothered me more than anything about Andrew than his picking games to sulk and even flat out quit on the team if he was either getting dominated by his man or he wasn't happy with his teammates. Then i'd see supporters of Bogut find any excuse possible to give Andrew a pass for this when IMO there was nothing whatsoever to excuse his doing that. I actually saw some here trying to spin his quitting in games as his way to show how much he cares about winning. :roll:

To his credit, this year he's stopped do it this year. Now when he's playing poorly on offense or getting shunned by the guards, i don't see that terrible body language or him quitting to where he doesn't care if his man is just owning him.

2. He was soft defensively for a big man. This year has been a dramatic shift. He's not only blocking shots, he's getting off his feet and trying to alter shots. Great to see.

3. He was way to passive offensively. Sure there were quite a few games where he was ignored, but there were multiple others where his defender would own him early and Andrew would go in a shell where he looked to have zero confidence he could score on his guy. I still think he gets passive if he struggles scoring early, but nowhere near as bad and his post skills are better, but still lacking pretty much outside of little hooks. Some nights thats enough if he's on or defended by an overmatched big. When those aren't going though, he really has little else to turn to scoring wise.

4. No jumper at all. I was hoping so badly that Andrew would come into this year with a jump shot. Outside of select dominant bigs in the Shaq mold that can score all the time in the paint, most quality bigs can hit both a face up midrange jumper and has a post up jumper. This along with paint skills make a good big man so tough to guard. They can then score in multiple ways and on multiple spots on the court. Bogut can score in the paint, that's it and on nights teams take that away or he's off, he has little else to turn to. Nothing needs to be said for his near Gadzuric like free throw shooting.

5. Bogut as a rebounder. This is his third season and all three years he's been a very mediocre rebounder. Not terrible, nothing special either. I expected him to be a top notch rebounder. He has the size and hands to rebound better and more consistently than he does. Many want to mainly blame the guards for this, that's a cop out given rebound rate. Great rebounders are ferocious rebounders, Andrew isn't that.

I don't think anything about my views have an anti-Bogut bias, i want nothing more than him to be better than he's shown and he's the last guy on the team i'd trade. But often when i've posted stuff like this, i've been called either a hater or anti-Bogut as if all i do is rip him or want him to fail.

A very nice summary of the issues, El Dude.

But hey, you left out a specific metion of how he was a pussy and a flopper on defence because he always took charges rather than going after the ball. And he ran Stotts out of town. And he bagged the entire universe in the press. And he flipped off his own crowd. Plus he only plays well when his mentor is in town. And they drafted a dud like Markota just to be his buddy.

Mo and Redd get a regular spray but it's over a limited range of issues. They've never presented such a magnificent body of work that Bogut has managed to accumulate. He unselfishly gives us so much material to use against him, that's the kind of guy he is.
bigzy
Starter
And1: 12

Post#168 » by bigzy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:28 pm

xTitan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This is simple....no bench at all this year...

You are right they lost all those great players off the bench last year!!!!
You are living in a fantasy world, there can be no doubt the offense was more efficient last year.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#169 » by Chapter29 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:23 pm

midranger wrote:Thats all well and good. However, what you're saying is that for the potential to make the team better long term we probably have to take a step back this year. Last year we were bad, that means the expectations should be for terrible this year. Which has happened. But the higher ups still expected great things. The two concepts just don't jive. If you want to develop Bogut by running the offense through him and expect to win, then he better be one hell of great player. And he's not. He's a below average offense player with severe limitations and no idea how to handle a double team. Bad mix.

I think a few players' beef (Mo, Redd) is that they're probably being ridden by management and the coaching staff for not winning games. When in fact the decision to change a good offense into a bad offense for development purposes is what has killed us.

This is probably what Mo and Redd feel like. And to a point they are right, but I don't think it's directly related to Bogut. Though I agree Bogut isn't a great player, this January showed us that he can be quite effective. Playing through Bogut can make sense, but there must be a balance.

I think our guards are the strength of the team. We need to make sure they remain effective. Whether thats the iso's that we often ran last year or an attempt at inside out ball. We still need them to be effective.

Larry K is trying to run this team as if it were a slow down rough and tough grind it out defensive team. Great I love that idea, but that wont happen with this current group of players. He needs to find a balance between the sets that make his guards effective and inside out ball which at this point only makes Bogut more effective.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#170 » by BuckFan25226 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:57 pm

rilamann wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Check out Bogut's strengths comming out of college written by NBAdraft.net.

''Strengths: Quite possibly the top player of his class...Has an NBA-ready game...Exceptional fundamentals...Always plays with a high level of intensity...Devastating drop-step...Can shoot jump-hook with either hand... McHale-esque footwork on the block...Very sharp mechanics on his jumper...Can shoot the ball out to 18 feet ...Can handle the ball well for a 7-footer...Very creative in establishing his positioning...Shoots an incredibly high percentage from the floor (64% this season)...Unbelievable passer out of the double/triple-team...Stellar court vision...A monster on the glass...Possibly the best rebounder (offensive and defensive) in college basketball...Catches everything...Good one-on-one defender...[size=150]Isn
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#171 » by showtimesam » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:39 pm

I think bogut gets it a little easier than mo is because there's two parts to the game. Mo is good at scoring, but horrible at defense, which negates pretty much anything he does.

Meanwhile, Bogut is by far the best defensive player on this team right now. At least for me, thats why I'm not nearly as frustrated with Bogut as the rest of the guys. He's a guy we can win with in the future.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,325

Post#172 » by rilamann » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:25 pm

showtimesam wrote:I think bogut gets it a little easier than mo is because there's two parts to the game. Mo is good at scoring, but horrible at defense, which negates pretty much anything he does.

Meanwhile, Bogut is by far the best defensive player on this team right now. At least for me, thats why I'm not nearly as frustrated with Bogut as the rest of the guys. He's a guy we can win with in the future.

Thats a great point,Bogut despite his flaws does so many more things that can help you win basketball games than anyone else on the team.One of the problems with this team is the fact we have so many one dimensional players.

Bogut's offensive game might not be super polished but unlike most guys on the team Bogut does more than just score points.Bogut will D up his man,block some shots,pass to the open man,hustle.Combine that with Bogut's winning attitude and the fact he would be a rookie this season had he been a 4 year college player,when you look at this roster he is one guy that gives some people optimisim for the future.

Take Mo for example,Mo actually does more things that help you lose games than win games.With his poor defense and lack of basketball IQ hes more of a liability.Sure Mo can score but like you said showetimesam a lot of times that is negated because Mo would probably have trouble trying to defend a division 3 college player.

The bottomline though is I can actually see this team at least having a chance to do more than stuggling to win 30 games in the future if the team is more centered around Yi & Bogut,provided you surround them with some solid role players and add another solid starting caliber player via our lottery pick this year and probably next year.

As long as the team is centered around Mo & Redd I can't realy see this team ever being successful no matter who you surround them with.Neither guy is a team player and I dont think winning is all that important to either guy both guys are ''we lost but I got mine'' kind of guys.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#173 » by showtimesam » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 pm

You are right on the money Rilamann.

I can easily root for a guy stuffing shots, taking charges, and looking to keep his teammates involved over guys that score (and do little else).

Besides, I still think Bogut can be a potent offensive player, however he's a traditional back to the basket center. Those players need teammates looking for him. I think Mo has done a good job in that regard for the most part this season.

While Mo and Redd are great scorers, I think this team needs to find more two-way players like Bogut that fit LK's slower grind it out vision. I think being a good defensive team can easily make the bucks a top 6 team in the eastern conference. With potential to grow from there.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#174 » by Nowak008 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:34 am

bigzy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You are right they lost all those great players off the bench last year!!!!
You are living in a fantasy world, there can be no doubt the offense was more efficient last year.

Exactly. We had Ersan and Noel playing a combined 25 min a game last year.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#175 » by BuckFan25226 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:54 am

Thats a great point,Bogut despite his flaws does so many more things that can help you win basketball games than anyone else on the team.One of the problems with this team is the fact we have so many one dimensional players.

Bogut's offensive game might not be super polished but unlike most guys on the team Bogut does more than just score points.Bogut will D up his man,block some shots,pass to the open man,hustle.Combine that with Bogut's winning attitude and the fact he would be a rookie this season had he been a 4 year college player,when you look at this roster he is one guy that gives some people optimisim for the future.

As long as the team is centered around Mo & Redd I can't realy see this team ever being successful no matter who you surround them with.Neither guy is a team player and I dont think winning is all that important to either guy both guys are ''we lost but I got mine'' kind of guys.

I can't think of one person on here that is arguing that, so why bring it up? Why is it anytime someone points out Boguts flaws, you instantly go to "Well Mo and Redd suck too so there!" mode.

Nobody is saying this team should be centered around Mo and Redd for long term success. But just because Bogut has turned himself into a better defender and isn't one dimensional doesn't mean he's a piece you build around. How about this......

THIS ENTIRE TEAM BLOWS! We don't have one single player to truly build around IMO. Do we have pieces like Yi and Bogut to keep long term? Sure. Who knows what Yi will turn into. Will he turn into a superstar talent to build around? probably not. Back to Bogut, would he be a nice 2nd or 3rd fiddle on a good team? absolutely. That's the thing, we have several players who think they're the man who in reality would be good 2nd, 3rd, or 4th fiddles on good teams.

Nobody should be untouchable on this team except maybe for Yi because business reasons, not basketball reasons.

When Stotts was here, he saw what he had to work with and he made the most of it. He knew there were plenty of holes in this team. He also knew if an up tempo offense was installed, we could score with just about anyone in the league. He utilized Bogut's best asset in passing with many high post touches and plays. He used Redd and Mo very well and got a lot out of this team on the offensive end.

Again, this team simply blows from top to bottom. I don't care who is traded, just evaluate and look at all options. I want this team to win more then any, if that means this entire roster will be gone in 2 years, fine by me.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#176 » by midranger » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:13 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:

I can't think of one person on here that is arguing that, so why bring it up? Why is it anytime someone points out Boguts flaws, you instantly go to "Well Mo and Redd suck too so there!" mode.

Nobody is saying this team should be centered around Mo and Redd for long term success. But just because Bogut has turned himself into a better defender and isn't one dimensional doesn't mean he's a piece you build around. How about this......

THIS ENTIRE TEAM BLOWS! We don't have one single player to truly build around IMO. Do we have pieces like Yi and Bogut to keep long term? Sure. Who knows what Yi will turn into. Will he turn into a superstar talent to build around? probably not. Back to Bogut, would he be a nice 2nd or 3rd fiddle on a good team? absolutely. That's the thing, we have several players who think they're the man who in reality would be good 2nd, 3rd, or 4th fiddles on good teams.

Nobody should be untouchable on this team except maybe for Yi because business reasons, not basketball reasons.

When Stotts was here, he saw what he had to work with and he made the most of it. He knew there were plenty of holes in this team. He also knew if an up tempo offense was installed, we could score with just about anyone in the league. He utilized Bogut's best asset in passing with many high post touches and plays. He used Redd and Mo very well and got a lot out of this team on the offensive end.

Again, this team simply blows from top to bottom. I don't care who is traded, just evaluate and look at all options. I want this team to win more then any, if that means this entire roster will be gone in 2 years, fine by me.

Absolutely. There is no one on this team who has accomplished anything worth holding on to.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,251

Post#177 » by Sigra » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:43 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:
Nobody should be untouchable on this team

Agreed. But you can't trade entire team. So, for now, I would keep guys from my signature.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks