MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,146

Re: PG Pacers Game 5 - Big Win 

Post#361 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 1:14 am

JonHeist wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
im not convinced of either of those statements honestly. ive seen us play without him and the middleton centric offense looks great and the defense and effort with the underdog mentality is the best its been. obviously a healthy giannis makes us better but id have to see however hes limited to decide if it was better for us offensively or defensively to be convinced. id absolutely hate it if all the guys start defering because he comes back and cant perform. we watched that last year. id imagine the staff understands this that way as well

Gianni’s is a top 50 player of all time. And probably will finish his career top 30. If a top 30 player in nba history is 75% you play them in the playoffs. Especially in an elimination game. Gianni’s wasn’t 100% against the suns. You imagine not playing him?

My guess is his injury is so bad that he was completely ruled out 6-8 weeks when it happened. But it’s the bucks way to make it seem like it’s day to day in the playoffs. They did it with Khris and it fooled the hell out of the Celtics. Their doing it against the pacers and it’s fooling them too (sarcasm)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I realize that you're probably the most negative poster on a board full of negative posters, but come the hell on

Giannis is COMFORTABLY top 30 if he never plays another second

he was already 18th in the 2022 ESPN top 75 and has put up 2 first-team All-NBA seasons since

Yeah I would love to see a lot of 30+ players someone thinks had a better career than Giannis. There's only been 15 multiple times MVPs and add in a ring, DPOY, All star MVP, etc. He's top 25 max right now and thats only if you value longevity stats that Giannis hasn't got yet.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,146

Post#362 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 1:16 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Portis would be a problem for me if he was paid $20 or $30 million a year. As it is, he’s a minutes eater, who can get you 18/10 against crappy teams. It’s a valuable role at only $10 million per.

Even Beasley gets too much hate. I'll bring him back because he would be a hell of an eighth man at $3m.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#363 » by steger_3434 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:17 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
JonHeist wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:Gianni’s is a top 50 player of all time. And probably will finish his career top 30. If a top 30 player in nba history is 75% you play them in the playoffs. Especially in an elimination game. Gianni’s wasn’t 100% against the suns. You imagine not playing him?

My guess is his injury is so bad that he was completely ruled out 6-8 weeks when it happened. But it’s the bucks way to make it seem like it’s day to day in the playoffs. They did it with Khris and it fooled the hell out of the Celtics. Their doing it against the pacers and it’s fooling them too (sarcasm)

I realize that you're probably the most negative poster on a board full of negative posters, but come the hell on

Giannis is COMFORTABLY top 30 if he never plays another second

he was already 18th in the 2022 ESPN top 75 and has put up 2 first-team All-NBA seasons since

Yeah I would love to see a lot of 30+ players someone thinks had a better career than Giannis. There's only been 15 multiple times MVPs and add in a ring, DPOY, All star MVP, etc. He's top 25 max right now and thats only if you value longevity stats that Giannis hasn't got yet.

I just threw a number out. Yeah he’s way closer to top 20 than top 50. You’re missing the point though. My post was about your not sitting a top player if he’s only 75% healthy because it might disrupt the bench players

yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#364 » by BigO » Thu May 2, 2024 1:19 am

Plossum wrote:How can you have no faith in TS% as a stat? :lol:

I mean, it's a relatively simple measure of how efficiently a player scores. It's not used to rank the best players in the league.

Average TS% these Playoffs so far is 56 TS%. Reg season was 58 TS%.

This is why I have no faith in it (see link below) or EFG as a stat. Even if you increase the minutes criteria to over 30 minutes, it's still useless. Look at the names.

It tells me nothing if highly efficient players like Shea Gilgeous Alexander and Embiid are way down the list. It doesn't meet the eye test. You guys can bow down to it as much as you like.

Take a player we're all familiar with- Grayson Allen. He has had a great shooting year. One of the top names on these lists. But other than a few posters here, no coach in their right mind would want Grayson over Bobby Portis.

You guys have become robotic. You substitute looking up stats for an analysis.

I do look at some stats, many of which I've discussed on here before. They've always worked for me and other old timers I hang out with who are bball junkies like me. To each his own. But when you are trying to make a case against BP, this ain't doing it.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced?CF=MIN*GE*15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=A&sort=EFG_PCT
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,671

Post#365 » by -Jragon- » Thu May 2, 2024 1:38 am

Idk... I haven't seen a better indicator of efficiency than TS%
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#366 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Giannis doesn't have an injury that risks his achilles, and it absolutely guaranteed we'd look better with him.

im not convinced of either of those statements honestly. ive seen us play without him and the middleton centric offense looks great and the defense and effort with the underdog mentality is the best its been. obviously a healthy giannis makes us better but id have to see however hes limited to decide if it was better for us offensively or defensively to be convinced. id absolutely hate it if all the guys start defering because he comes back and cant perform. we watched that last year. id imagine the staff understands this that way as well

Wow, not sure if the Bucks are better with Giannis? He simply fixes every single thing that's challenged the Bucks in this series. I shouldn't be surprised, this is coming from the guy that thought Jrue was better than Dame. In the playoffs, Jrue isn't even as good as Pat Beverly.

i said obviously a healthy giannis makes us better. my post had more to do with trotting out a hampered version of him. read my post next time before you respond

go back and read my analysis of the jrue dame discussion for the first time before you keep using that other nonsense too. my issue has been in retrospect more the weight of the package not jrue and dame straight up. it was a minor take at the time. when the deal was done i supported it so the point you keep making is buffoonery

and bev being better than jrue go ahead with yourself :lol:
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,003

Post#367 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 2:30 am

BigO wrote:

I mean, it's a relatively simple measure of how efficiently a player scores. It's not used to rank the best players in the league.

This is why I have no faith in it (see link below) or EFG as a stat. Even if you increase the minutes criteria to over 30 minutes, it's still useless. Look at the names.

It tells me nothing if highly efficient players like Shea Gilgeous Alexander and Embiid are way down the list. It doesn't meet the eye test. You guys can bow down to it as much as you like.

Take a player we're all familiar with- Grayson Allen. He has had a great shooting year. One of the top names on these lists. But other than a few posters here, no coach in their right mind would want Grayson over Bobby Portis.

I do look at some stats, many of which I've discussed on here before. They've always worked for me and other old timers I hang out with who are bball junkies like me. To each his own. But when you are trying to make a case against BP, this ain't doing it.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced?CF=MIN*GE*15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=A&sort=EFG_PCT

I say this with all due respect, but it sounds like you're simply looking at who has the highest TS% and expecting it to pump out the list of the top players in the NBA.

TS% just tells you how efficiently the player scores. One player being more efficient than another doesn't mean they're better. TS% should be analysed in the context of the players role on the team. If a guy just dunks and shoots FTs (ala Deandre Jordan) they're going to be more efficient than someone like Khash or Dame. Doesn't mean they're a better player - just means they're shooting more efficiently (and you'd expect that if the guy's only role is to dunk).

Grayson and Bobby aren't a great comparison. Grayson played terribly these playoffs (not a shock to us Bucks fans) and his efficiency was only a smidge higher than Bobby's, when Bobby has a much more prominent and important role. Grayson basically had to run to his spots and hit open three which he couldn't do to save his life this post season.

Player A can be far less efficient than player B and still be a much better player.

Edit: I'm not making any case against Bobby for what it's worth. I think he has been a valuable player for the Bucks throughout his time here. He is being asked to do more than he's probably capable of on a consistent basis these playoffs due to the injury situation. I'm not gonna hold that against him. His role is a 6th man off the bench and that's where he thrives. This is the best way to explain why his efficiency has dropped so much from reg season to playoffs.
#LockUpChuck
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,782

Post#368 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu May 2, 2024 2:32 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

Wow, not sure if the Bucks are better with Giannis? He simply fixes every single thing that's challenged the Bucks in this series. I shouldn't be surprised, this is coming from the guy that thought Jrue was better than Dame. In the playoffs, Jrue isn't even as good as Pat Beverly.

i said obviously a healthy giannis makes us better. my post had more to do with trotting out a hampered version of him. read my post next time before you respond

go back and read my analysis of the jrue dame discussion for the first time before you keep using that other nonsense too. my issue has been in retrospect more the weight of the package not jrue and dame straight up. it was a minor take at the time. when the deal was done i supported it so the point you keep making is buffoonery

and bev being better than jrue go ahead with yourself :lol:

Compare their playoff numbers, or even regular season numbers when Bev started this year.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#369 » by KidA24 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:37 am

BigO wrote:

So your argument is, if the best players don't lead the league in a stat, that stat is worthless.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
PhoenixMilwauke
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#370 » by PhoenixMilwauke » Thu May 2, 2024 3:21 am

BigO wrote:

TS% and USG go hand in hand. Look at anyone with a usage over 20, compare the TS%. The ones at the top are all excellent players. It's easy to have a high TS% at low usage. Very very hard to have 600+ at 30 USG. Anything below 570 TS% is bad....and it means they take inefficient shots (or just not good).
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,003

Post#371 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 3:33 am

PhoenixMilwauke wrote:
BigO wrote:

TS% and USG go hand in hand. Look at anyone with a usage over 20, compare the TS%. The ones at the top are all excellent players. It's easy to have a high TS% at low usage. Very very hard to have 600+ at 30 USG. Anything below 570 TS% is bad....and it means they take inefficient shots (or just not good).

Def agree re the USG and TS% part. Only thing I'd add is you can be below average efficiency and still be a good/impactful player. The extreme of this example was prime Derrick Rose. He was never a very efficient player but still had an incredible impact on games. But even looking at this year's stats, there are guys below league average efficiency who I would maintain are good players nonetheless (Fox, Barnes, Monk, Bridges, Garland).

It's just one data input you can use to gauge how good a player is and you have to read the stat in the context of what is being asked of the player on their team. Grayson was insanely efficient this year (reg season) in his role but if you tried to ask him to be a number 1 on offence, his efficiency would dive below 50 IMO. He wouldn't be up to it.
#LockUpChuck
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,671

Post#372 » by -Jragon- » Thu May 2, 2024 4:42 am

Conversely, also a low usage / high TS guy can be a great role player. He likely nails open 3s so if he hustles and plays D that's ideal to add around your superstar(s) -- while not being able to carry a team.

I high usage -- low TS guy is usually a great tank commander.. lots of long 2s and soft - can't get to the ft line much
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,211

Post#373 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 6:52 am

BigO wrote:This is why I have no faith in it (see link below) or EFG as a stat. Even if you increase the minutes criteria to over 30 minutes, it's still useless. Look at the names.

I mean I'd say even if you wanted to use your old man basketball circle respected eye test method even then theres so much more criticism that can be placed on Bobby that you don't see or whatever. I recall game 3 you talking about Hubie Brown raving about Portis, which at times he did (like all of us do), but at the same time there was MANY times that game where he criticized Bobby for his play immensely. On more than one occasion (largely during the the first half when many were criticizing Bobby) he was talking about how Bobby was playing soft offensively and going up with his left, missing shots he should have made, the Bucks ball watching at critical reobunds etc. Like if Hubie Brown was a poster on this forum saying those things you would have called him an idiot who must have wanted to trade him for Grant Williams.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#374 » by raferfenix » Thu May 2, 2024 10:33 am

tsamo wrote:Because I saw someone mentioning Jrue, he is currently averaging for the Celtics in the playoffs, in obviously a much reduced role compared to how he was with us, 7.3/4.3/4.3 on 31/33/100 splits for a TS% of 40.4 in 36 minutes per game...
Damn.

Pat Bev's stats in the POs so far, 8.6/5.6/3.8 on 47/50/87 splits for a TS% of 62.1 in 34 minutes per game. With a broken hand, I might add.

Damn Jrue.

What’s going on where his offense is still so bad even when he (in theory at least) doesn’t need to play outside his comfort zone like he had to here anymore?

Also any insight into his D? Holiday is much bigger and versatile than Bev curious how they compare there too.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#375 » by BigO » Thu May 2, 2024 11:01 am

Plossum wrote:
BigO wrote:

I say this with all due respect, but it sounds like you're simply looking at who has the highest TS% and expecting it to pump out the list of the top players in the NBA.

TS% just tells you how efficiently the player scores. One player being more efficient than another doesn't mean they're better. TS% should be analysed in the context of the players role on the team. If a guy just dunks and shoots FTs (ala Deandre Jordan) they're going to be more efficient than someone like Khash or Dame. Doesn't mean they're a better player - just means they're shooting more efficiently (and you'd expect that if the guy's only role is to dunk).

Grayson and Bobby aren't a great comparison. Grayson played terribly these playoffs (not a shock to us Bucks fans) and his efficiency was only a smidge higher than Bobby's, when Bobby has a much more prominent and important role. Grayson basically had to run to his spots and hit open three which he couldn't do to save his life this post season.

Player A can be far less efficient than player B and still be a much better player.

Edit: I'm not making any case against Bobby for what it's worth. I think he has been a valuable player for the Bucks throughout his time here. He is being asked to do more than he's probably capable of on a consistent basis these playoffs due to the injury situation. I'm not gonna hold that against him. His role is a 6th man off the bench and that's where he thrives. This is the best way to explain why his efficiency has dropped so much from reg season to playoffs.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

If posters' feedback on BP (or any other player for that matter) was as balanced as your analysis above, I wouldn't be responding as I have.

The vast majority of the negative BP stuff is not balanced. It doesn't say he does this very well, but his TS% in the playoffs is down and this is why it matters.

Instead the argument is: "he's not been very good and his TS% shows it."

And it will not end. If BP has a bad game tonight and the Bucks lose the series, the generalities about BP will carry into the off season. I just find it strange for posters to pick on a bench guy who is so productive (especially compared to all the other bench guys).

By the way, one poster claimed I was anti Lopez because I pointed out the guy can't rebound (hardly a new observation).

That's never been my position and I've made many posts highlighting BL's strengths and weaknesses and how he is great against certain teams and playing certain schemes, but not others.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#376 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu May 2, 2024 11:25 am

bobby, as a big.... gets played off the floor when as a big he creates a wide open barn door at the rim on the drop, cant guard 3-5 on the switch and becomes a black hole whose not hitting shots on offense. denying this can happen with this guy when he faces high quality competiton means your eye test skills are dismal

so this isnt hard...... if hes playing in a scheme where as a team were defending and hes hitting shots he has value. thats obvious hes put up some nice counting numbers here for us thru the years during the regular season and we won a title with him playing decent amounts of minutes in most of the series. at the right contract and the right role then who wouldnt take him...duh.

but when hes getting attacked on the switch, attacked on the drop....all while focused on shooting his long contested 2's, being below average on 3's, avoiding the ft line and never passing out once he gets his touch..... then hes not great help.

but... like most players....when hes hitting shots and the team is able to defend around him then roll him out there all you want. the same goes for malik beasley and all sorts of guys in this league when their hitting shots it covers alot of warts and you need some dudes on the roster like that so good on him and good on us when that is happening
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#377 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu May 2, 2024 5:23 pm

BigO wrote:
MuckyFingers wrote:
soxperry wrote:Risk both Achilles

We need to beat this punk ass team

No evidence whatsoever that either are at risk of blowing out their Achilles. The thing with Durant a few years ago was the exception, not the rule. Lots of fake news out there about "risking all of next year." It's nonsense.

Can we get the resident doctor on here? It doesn't make sense to debate the percent threat of a long term injury unless we have people who know what they're talking about.

Of course that's never been a criteria on here before about anything, so maybe I'm wrong.

Per Dr Jeff Stotts, he sees no reason the Giannis injury would increase the risk of an Achilles injury. In his opinion, Giannis would only be at risk of reinjuring the original injury.
JonHeist
Junior
And1: 591

Post#378 » by JonHeist » Fri May 3, 2024 4:28 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:
MuckyFingers wrote:No evidence whatsoever that either are at risk of blowing out their Achilles. The thing with Durant a few years ago was the exception, not the rule. Lots of fake news out there about "risking all of next year." It's nonsense.

Can we get the resident doctor on here? It doesn't make sense to debate the percent threat of a long term injury unless we have people who know what they're talking about.

Of course that's never been a criteria on here before about anything, so maybe I'm wrong.

Per Dr Jeff Stotts, he sees no reason the Giannis injury would increase the risk of an Achilles injury. In his opinion, Giannis would only be at risk of reinjuring the original injury.

I'm 99.9% sure the team bullshited about Giannis' injury to sell more playoff tickets at a better price

I wouldn't be even the slightest bit surprised if he still isn't back for the season opener
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,324

Post#379 » by RiotPunch » Fri May 3, 2024 4:33 am

JonHeist wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:

I'm 99.9% sure the team bullshited about Giannis' injury to sell more playoff tickets at a better price

I wouldn't be even the slightest bit surprised if he still isn't back for the season opener

That's extreme, he'll be good to go unless he **** his **** up playing for Greece.

He was legit close, IMO. Not close enough for him to convince the medical staff to let him play.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#380 » by ShootingtheJ » Fri May 3, 2024 4:34 am

JonHeist wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
BigO wrote:

The league has rules against that. The fines would be bigger than the extra ticket revenue.

It took longer than they expected for him to recover, but he didn't lose a leg.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks