ImageImage

Around The League

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,245

Re: Around The League 

Post#1921 » by DingleJerry » Wed May 1, 2024 11:53 pm

So essentially they're the same team as last year now but with Jrue replacing Brogdon, Smart, Robert and Grant Williams (note I don't recall who was healthy for playoffs or not of those guys). Don't get me wrong, they're still good and the East faves but all of a sudden they're not the juggernaut it seemed, especially if Jrue is the same Jrue we had here (and a year older). Really too bad Bucks couldn't be healthy to hopefully have that matchup
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,999

Post#1922 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 12:37 am

DingleJerry wrote:So essentially they're the same team as last year now but with Jrue replacing Brogdon, Smart, Robert and Grant Williams (note I don't recall who was healthy for playoffs or not of those guys). Don't get me wrong, they're still good and the East faves but all of a sudden they're not the juggernaut it seemed, especially if Jrue is the same Jrue we had here (and a year older). Really too bad Bucks couldn't be healthy to hopefully have that matchup

I don't think it really matters at this stage. They're likely going to have the cakeiest of cake walks to the Finals. Orlando/Cleveland are not a serious threat (Cavs aren't very good, Orlando young and flawed). Bucks/Knicks/6ers have too many injury issues and Indy is a bit like Orlando.

This is no knock on Boston, they're very good, but I doubt they face a really strong challenge until the finals (likely Denver or Minny). If Giannis and Dame can conjure a miracle comeback we'll be a really good chance to beat them. But that doesn't seem likely.
#LockUpChuck
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,892

Post#1923 » by blazza18 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:53 am

Unless they put Bam on the table, Miami aren't going to have the assets to get anyone good enough in the offseason again.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,229

Post#1924 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 2, 2024 1:07 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

That team is vulnerable as hell.

But not to the Heat.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,069

Post#1925 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 2, 2024 1:22 am

blazza18 wrote:Unless they put Bam on the table, Miami aren't going to have the assets to get anyone good enough in the offseason again.

Riley isn't afraid to make moves but I agree, they don't have much to get a star in return.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Plossum
General Manager

Post#1926 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 1:41 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Unless they put Bam on the table, Miami aren't going to have the assets to get anyone good enough in the offseason again.

Riley isn't afraid to make moves but I agree, they don't have much to get a star in return.

Even with Jimmy and Scary Terry playing, the Heat mayyybe would've gotten 2 wins this series.

They played amazingly last year but no doubt they caught a massive heater at the right time too. I had to go back and look: they had EIGHT guys shoot 40% or better from three in the series vs us last year (45% as a team for the series). Duncan **** Robinson shot nearly 75% on 4 attempts per game :lol:

This year their shooting has come back down to Earth. I think they've low key missed Vincent and Strus more than they thought they would too.
#LockUpChuck
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#1927 » by jschligs » Thu May 2, 2024 2:05 am

Plossum wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Even with Jimmy and Scary Terry playing, the Heat mayyybe would've gotten 2 wins this series.

They played amazingly last year but no doubt they caught a massive heater at the right time too. I had to go back and look: they had EIGHT guys shoot 40% or better from three in the series vs us last year (45% as a team for the series). Duncan **** Robinson shot nearly 75% on 4 attempts per game :lol:

This year their shooting has come back down to Earth. I think they've low key missed Vincent and Strus more than they thought they would too.

They sure as hell aren't missing this years version of Gabe Vincent :lol:
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#1928 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 3:31 am

Who are rooting to hate lose the Dallas Clippers series? I keep going back and forth based on who is on my screen.

I think Dallas losing to a less than full strength Clippers would be more fun. Kidd is probably fired? Luka stays miles behind Giannis on the all-time list, Playoff Ky continues to be a joke.
Plossum
General Manager

Post#1929 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 3:51 am

Paul George doesn't get nearly enough **** for being a Playoff bed-wetter. He has a sneaky good performance every now and then and people forget the bad stuff.

Good luck to whoever slides a max contract his way this offseason.

To add, I guarantee the average NBA fan would pick George over Midds, but Khris is a waaayyy better player IMO.
#LockUpChuck
Plossum
General Manager

Post#1930 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 4:00 am

Harden doing his usual disappearing act in a big game too, but nobody is surprised at this stage.
#LockUpChuck
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1931 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 4:03 am

Plossum wrote:Harden doing his usual disappearing act in a big game too, but nobody is surprised at this stage.

Putting up his tradition Spring Tour Concert Dates box score.
Plossum
General Manager

Post#1932 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 4:11 am

A shame Kawhi isn't healthy (again). He's the pair of brass balls this Clips squad needs but he's just never available when you need him. Last healthy playoff run for him was 2020 :o
#LockUpChuck
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,892

Post#1933 » by blazza18 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 am

Plossum wrote:Paul George doesn't get nearly enough **** for being a Playoff bed-wetter. He has a sneaky good performance every now and then and people forget the bad stuff.

Good luck to whoever slides a max contract his way this offseason.

To add, I guarantee the average NBA fan would pick George over Midds, but Khris is a waaayyy better player IMO.

Think they are both very similar tbh. George is flashier, he has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. I think you could probably argue he's had the harder defender assignments but that could be wrong.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1934 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 am

Great slate of games NBA. Average margin is going to be 30+
Plossum
General Manager

Post#1935 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2024 4:32 am

That's such a poor showing from the Clips. On their home floor, biggest game of their season and they dish out an effort like that.
#LockUpChuck
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,621

Post#1936 » by RogerMurdock » Thu May 2, 2024 11:25 am

Plossum wrote:Harden doing his usual disappearing act in a big game too, but nobody is surprised at this stage.

Read on Twitter
?t=CUGemNWEOI1ZYXX_3sQAOA&s=19
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,034

Post#1937 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 2, 2024 1:43 pm

Harden furthering his reputation as the biggest loser superstar of this generation falls firmly in the "You Love to See It" category, but did anyone honestly think they'd win this series without Kawhi? You could argue we have a similar problem, but Phoenix, Miami, and both LA teams can't rely on their star player(s) to lead them to title contention anymore. Every one of those teams needs to make a drastic move this offseason.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,069

Post#1938 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 2, 2024 2:02 pm

Philly owners bought over 2,000 tickets from StubHub and other sites trying to keep Knicks fans out of the game tonight.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,071

Post#1939 » by German Athens » Thu May 2, 2024 2:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Philly owners bought over 2,000 tickets from StubHub and other sites trying to keep Knicks fans out of the game tonight.

Neat, so then there will be 2,000 Philly fans at the Knicks game tonight.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,481

Post#1940 » by Gant » Thu May 2, 2024 4:42 pm

DingleJerry wrote:So essentially they're the same team as last year now but with Jrue replacing Brogdon, Smart, Robert and Grant Williams (note I don't recall who was healthy for playoffs or not of those guys). Don't get me wrong, they're still good and the East faves but all of a sudden they're not the juggernaut it seemed, especially if Jrue is the same Jrue we had here (and a year older). Really too bad Bucks couldn't be healthy to hopefully have that matchup

What you say is true but there's some extra context which makes them not the same team. Before, Rob Williams was always out or limping. Grant Williams was himself. Brogdon was great on offense in the regular season and injured in the playoffs.
Smart is a very good player; Holiday is also and is a better fit.

Aside from Porzingis, there are a few other reasons their record improved. Basically, the entire rotation can score and defend now; they just mesh better and are more versatile.

Starters:
This year Tatum and Brown are sharing the ball, isoing less, and both are physically stronger which lets them drive more. There's less dumbness.
Derrick White got a bigger role and became a borderline all star.
Jrue replaced Marcus and the Celtics became sane.
Everyone can shoot from downtown, so now the opposition can't force Smart to take late shot clock 3s in the fourth quarter.

Bench:
They promoted Hauser and Pritchard who have been surprisingly good, on both ends too.
When no one was looking, Kornet mysteriously became a reliable player.
So far those three are the only playoff bench rotation players with Horford starting.

Boston's regular season bench net rating, which includes Horford for less than half the games, laps the field:

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=bench+net+rating+2023-2024+season+all+teams

Return to Milwaukee Bucks