ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,892

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#1481 » by blazza18 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:44 am

The Americans was great. Glad to have finally gotten around to finishing it after delaying it for so long. Only knock with how it ended was how quickly/convenient everything went down (looking at you FBI).
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,236

Post#1482 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 2:25 pm

Really hope this turns out better than his other recent unnecessary remake.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#1483 » by buckboy » Wed May 1, 2024 3:22 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:Anyone here get in to “Station Eleven?” I bought the book just as covid broke, and didn’t read it, hit a little too close to home. Now that some time has passed, Im enjoying the HBO version. Its got a “Northern Exposure” + apocalypse zombie movie vibe. With a non linear “This is Us” approach to chronology. But its working.

Watched the first 3 or 4. Couldn't get into it. May give it a go again if someone tells me it's worth it.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#1484 » by M-C-G » Wed May 1, 2024 4:58 pm

Monkey Man being John Wick of India was unexpected but Dev Patel was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,247

Post#1485 » by DingleJerry » Wed May 1, 2024 5:03 pm

buckboy wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:Anyone here get in to “Station Eleven?” I bought the book just as covid broke, and didn’t read it, hit a little too close to home. Now that some time has passed, Im enjoying the HBO version. Its got a “Northern Exposure” + apocalypse zombie movie vibe. With a non linear “This is Us” approach to chronology. But its working.

Watched the first 3 or 4. Couldn't get into it. May give it a go again if someone tells me it's worth it.

I liked the apocalypse aspects to it, probably on the upper tier of those type of shows in regards to that. Didn't like the 'theater/play' aspects and how much that was involved, IDK I was just never a theater kid. I wouldn't say its a 'must watch' but its generally good and well done with some great acting performances.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#1486 » by buckboy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:12 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I liked the apocalypse aspects to it, probably on the upper tier of those type of shows in regards to that. Didn't like the 'theater/play' aspects and how much that was involved, IDK I was just never a theater kid. I wouldn't say its a 'must watch' but its generally good and well done with some great acting performances.

Yeah, I pretty much echo your sentiments. I feel like I should've really liked it, but the theater parts killed it for me.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,911

Post#1487 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed May 1, 2024 5:50 pm

Station Eleven - the play stuff was part of a larger theme of creativity in the face of tragedy, IMO.

I may have gotten choked up in the final episode.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,042

Post#1488 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 1, 2024 6:15 pm

I've probably said it before, but Station Eleven somehow accomplishes what I thought was thematically impossible. It's a realistic post apocalyptic story that isn't soul-crushingly depressing. I thought it was a borderline masterpiece.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,764

Post#1489 » by Licensed to Il » Wed May 1, 2024 8:50 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I've probably said it before, but Station Eleven somehow accomplishes what I thought was thematically impossible. It's a realistic post apocalyptic story that isn't soul-crushingly depressing. I thought it was a borderline masterpiece.

Im only half way through. But I sort of agree with all the comments so far. The classical theatre scenes are a lot, but also it is the point of the show (shared art is what holds culture together). Also agree with Ron, is it possible to make a non depressing post apocalyptical story? If its possible, Station Eleven and Wall-E have come closest.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#1490 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed May 1, 2024 8:56 pm

jimmybones wrote:Anyone watching Baby Reindeer on Netflix? Man, it gets dark

Not yet, but it’s on my list.
#FreeChuckDiesel
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,935

Post#1491 » by emunney » Wed May 1, 2024 11:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I've probably said it before, but Station Eleven somehow accomplishes what I thought was thematically impossible. It's a realistic post apocalyptic story that isn't soul-crushingly depressing. I thought it was a borderline masterpiece.

Personally don't think there's anything borderline about it. I can't wait for the next Somerville/St. John Mandel collab, if it's still happening.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1492 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 2, 2024 12:03 am

I love MacKenzie Davis, but I couldn't get into Station Eleven. Because **** theater kids.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#1493 » by Licensed to Il » Fri May 3, 2024 11:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I love MacKenzie Davis, but I couldn't get into Station Eleven. Because **** theater kids.

The Shakespeare scenes add a bit of classical/artistic weight, but honestly if you fast forward through them it still holds up well and is kind of a covid mini version of Steven King’s “The Stand.”
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#1494 » by ejn1214 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:19 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Anyone watching Baby Reindeer on Netflix? Man, it gets dark

Not yet, but it’s on my list.

It's super interesting because I think everyone can relate in some way. I think gadd is disingenuous and probably a d bag. There is no way people wouldn't try to figure out who these people were, with him acting innocent about it. There are also some clearly untrue things such as the 'viral video" which doesn't exist.

It's also interesting why he includes some very weird and embarrassing details that add nothing to the story. I also find it odd he uses the word grooming when he is in his mid to late 20s. You are a full grown adult. He also makes all his partners extremely attractive when he is not. I think it's worth a watch, but, I think he's being very exploitative and playing a victim.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#1495 » by Badgerlander » Sat May 4, 2024 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1496 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat May 4, 2024 6:32 pm

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#1497 » by Licensed to Il » Sat May 4, 2024 8:33 pm

This is going to sound misogynistic, but its actually the highest complement I can give. “Station Eleven” is like Steven King, but written by a female. Its like my favorite thing, but more sensitive and subtle and thoughtful.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1498 » by ReasonablySober » Sat May 4, 2024 8:34 pm

I got to the turning point in Sugar critics alluded to and foks, it did not disappoint.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1499 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun May 5, 2024 3:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I got to the turning point in Sugar critics alluded to and foks, it did not disappoint.

I'd like to see a modern crime noir show where Collin Farrell solves mysteries in LA...like episode 1 but with subsequent episodes expanding into a full season. They could have just done that and made an awesome show. Instead, they did what they did.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#1500 » by M-C-G » Mon May 6, 2024 3:34 pm

Fall Guy was one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a theater in years. Not a big Gosling guy but it was funny, lots of action and enough love story my wife loved it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Milwaukee Bucks