ImageImage

Hammond is the new GM of the Bucks-to hire vet (Carlisle?)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#141 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Questions that need to be asked of Kohl when they eventually do a press conference:

-Is there anybody in the Bucks organization besides yourself that Mr. Hammond will have to answer to?

-Is there any player on the roster that Mr. Hammond would not have the authority to trade?

-If Mr. Hammond wishes to hire his own staff, including director of player personnel (or whatever Babcock's title is), will he have the power to do so?
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#142 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This post made me have a funny feeling in my pants.

If that lasts for more than four hours its best you consult with a doctor.
TheGhostDog
Senior
And1: 2

Post#143 » by TheGhostDog » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm

zeebneeb wrote:YOUR TEAM WILL PLAY DEFENSE. Dont worry about it anymore. Hammond knows what gets teams to the top, and thats defense. Its what Pistons culture is all about. If you dont play defense in Detroit, no matter how many points you score, you just wont play.

Wow, I actually feel a little bit like a kid on Christmas morning.

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#144 » by rilamann » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Damn it what the hell,I wanted Rick Sund.I felt Sund could have gotten us to the 40 win mark in less than 3 years.

Joking aside this is the best front office move/hire since Kohl hired George Karl back in 1998.Im shocked Herb Kohl actually did something....smart.

Thanks for the post Zeebneeb,reading your post about Hammond he sounds a lot like Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson.Sounds like they have a very similar style and thats a great thing.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#145 » by Wooderson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm

zeebneeb wrote::clap: This is an excellent move by the Bucks, and it was not easy to get Hammond to leave multiple teams have been gunning for him for quite some time now.

As a long time Pistons fan, here are somethings to expect;

1.)He has worked side-by-side with Joe since 01 if memory serves correct, and it didnt take long for them to see the faults, and make moves to improve the team quickly.

2.)Expect next year to be a "look and see" type of season. I wouldnt expect any major trades this summer, unless a "cant miss" move happens. Joe's first year was much like this.

3.)Hammond will bring in a top-flight coach. You wont see has-beens, or nobodys roaming the Bucks sidelines, period.

4.)Hammond is a smart, smart man. He wont make any dumbass moves, but expect some trades to make you scratch your head. This has happened in Detroit now multiple times. This is the reason why we have the "In joe we trust" slogan ingrained into our heads. The RIP deal, and Rasheed deal, the Dice deal, e.t.c. At first they seem bad, but trust me, vision takes time.

5.)Expect 100% effort out of your players. Anyone screwing around, not playing hard, or under-commited will be shipped out. This is the Pistons culture. This griping about, or asking for a trade will be accomodated. Lockerroom cohesion is a big deal to Joe/John.

6.)Joe and John will talk alot about the team. Expect alot of input from Dumars.

7.)YOUR TEAM WILL PLAY DEFENSE. Dont worry about it anymore. Hammond knows what gets teams to the top, and thats defense. Its what Pistons culture is all about. If you dont play defense in Detroit, no matter how many points you score, you just wont play. Look at many of the Pistons players, and what they were before they came here. Ask any Pistons fan about RIP's defense when he first got to Detroit, and what it is now.

Give it time guys, the Bucks are a mess right now, and some tough moves are going to be made. "Trust in John" and all will be fine.

Beautiful, just beautiful.
But this is still the Bucks, and Kohl is still the owner so never get your hopes too high.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#146 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Another positive note, when Bobby Simmons was acquired by the Pistons with Hammond there, he lasted less than two weeks. History repeats itself right? :D :pray:
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#147 » by wichmae » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If that lasts for more than four hours its best you consult with a doctor.

clean up on aisle 10...
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#148 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 pm

So when is the fans2hammond@bucks.com email address become active? :D
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#149 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:06 pm

wichmae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

clean up on aisle 10...

Thats what she said :eyebrows:
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#150 » by europa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:07 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Given his reluctance to leave the Pistons, I am pretty confident that Hammond took this job under the assumption he gets full autonomy. Now, that could be wishful thinking, but I believe it to be the case.

It's the logical belief in my opinion. Sure, Kohl could have upped the offer and probably did, but Hammond would get the money anyway if he got a GM job. He's highly regarded around the league and has strong credentials. It's not like he needed to take the first job that showed him the money. I agree it's all speculation but if he was initially reluctant my guess is it was because he knew Kohl's history and didn't want any part of that and insisted he be given full automony or else he wouldn't take the job. When Kohl agreed the deal was made.

Is that just a best-case scenario? Sure. But it does make plenty of sense.

And I agree with others - thanks zeebneeb for the post. That confirms the belief I've had about Hammond and why he was my No. 1 choice once Walsh was off the board. He will bring a culture of winning to a team that has been covered in a culture of losing for a long time and especially for the past two seasons under Larry Harris.

As far as few moves made this summer I'm fine with that now that a strong GM is in place. I still have concerns about this team's core and several of its key personnel but if Hammond wants to take a wait and see approach I'll respect that. He's earned that respect in my opinion given his pedigree and the work he's done with the Pistons.

That said, if he is going to stress defense (and I'm 1,000% convinced he will), major changes will need to be made. It won't take him long to realize he has a roster full of either indifferent defenders, horrible defenders or both.
Nothing will not break me.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,295

Post#151 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:09 pm

MFScho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh don't bring us all down :)

I have always taken the 'Babs will be in charge of the draft' as lip service to the fans that there is a contingency plan in place if a GM isn't hired before draft night, so I'd be pretty shocked if Babs is going to get the final say on who we're picking.

That's what I thought at first, but there was follow up on that information and the clarification was that even if a new GM were in place, Babcock would still be in charge of the draft because he was more familiar with our team and was more familiar with the players available in this draft.

That never seemed logical to me, but this is Herb Kohl's world. I just live in it.

Hopefully he has come to his senses and Hammond will be in charge of the draft?

Perhaps the whole "Babcock will be in charge of the draft" thing was in place with the idea that we might be hiring Doug Collins, Rick Carlisle or Larry Brown as GM (yes, GM, that isn't a typo where I meant to say coach, which most of you realize but some might not) and they might not be as familiar with the current draft class as Babcock would be or even someone like Rick Sund.

Hammond theoretically is actually very familiar with this draft class so hopefully the "Dave Babcock in charge of the draft" plan will no longer apply.

xTitan wrote:piecing together bits of information that we have read and basic knowledge of Mr. Hammond, I feel somewhat good that he has covered all bases in his contractual agreement. I would not be surprised, as a matter of fact, I might be more surprised if he in not named GM/VP of Basketball Operations.

I would say you are probably correct on that.
At least in technical rank then he would outrank Burr and be on an equal level with Steinmiller, and be on a nearly equal level as Walter (below Walter still because of Walter's Alternate Governor status).

Obviously my preference would be for Kohl to just outright fire Ron Walter, but if he isn't going to do that, how about at least stripping him of his Alternate Governor status and giving those powers to Hammond? That would indeed make Hammond the #2 ranked guy in the organization behind Herb Kohl, and while technical rank isn't everything (Kohl can still just choose to listen to Walter, Steinmiller, Burr, etc.) it would be an important step in fixing the power structure around here.

xTitan wrote: What I have heard is that Hammonds is very bright, he is well aware of the Bucks "situation", the other thing that has become obvious is that Kohl became very well aware that everyone in NBA circles was aware of his reputation and it was not pleasant. In order for Kohl to move forward in a positive way he had to change the way he did things, I really believe it was more than just throwing big $$$ at Hammonds, he was and would still have been, highly sought after for many GM positions.

I hope you are right about all of that.
It is very possible you are.

As for that bold part, I honestly have to say that we here at RealGM deserve the credit for that. We shined enough light on the situation that we finally got things pushed into other elements of the media and emboldened the media and Bucks fans in general.

I will also add that it has been my personal mission over the past two years to make sure and remind everyone that I've had contact with in NBA circles of Kohl's dysfunctional ways. 90% or more of those people were already aware of the situation without hearing about it from me, but I mainly made sure to keep it fresh on people's minds and keep stoking the fire :nod:
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#152 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Just a side note-Hammond and current assistant Tony Brown were together for two years in Detroit. I'd like to see Brown brought back because he seemed like one of the only guys in the organization who wasn't afraid to speak up. Brown was more qualified than Larry K to be our head coach last year. [/i]
europa
RealGM

Post#153 » by europa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Just a side note-Hammond and current assistant Tony Brown were together for two years in Detroit. I'd like to see Brown brought back because he seemed like one of the only guys in the organization who wasn't afraid to speak up. Brown was more qualified than Larry K to be our head coach last year. [/i]

I agree. I've heard nothing but good things about Tony Brown and the work he's done. I hope he is retained as well.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#154 » by wichmae » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm

tlsbucks
Senior
And1: 0

Post#155 » by tlsbucks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm

when will the bucks announce this or have a press conference?
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#156 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Just a side note-Hammond and current assistant Tony Brown were together for two years in Detroit. I'd like to see Brown brought back because he seemed like one of the only guys in the organization who wasn't afraid to speak up. Brown was more qualified than Larry K to be our head coach last year. [/i]

Honestly though, who wasnt?
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#157 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I also would like to see him stay and I am interested in saing Peterson stay also.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#158 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

tlsbucks wrote:when will the bucks announce this or have a press conference?
Supposedly on Monday.. but with the ever behind on everything MJS already reporting that it has been confirmed I am wondering if the Press Conference has been moved up.

europa
RealGM

Post#159 » by europa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

wichmae wrote:Woelful droppin bombs on 1250

Such as?
wichmae
RealGM

Post#160 » by wichmae » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:20 pm

Woelful droppin bombs on 1250