ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Bucks deny Pistons to talk to Horst

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Bucks deny Pistons to talk to Horst 

Post#1381 » by machu46 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:56 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:How close is Bobby + 23 to getting us #9 from Memphis?

Following up on this, I'm listening to the Bill Simmons pod with Russillo...Russillo said that one of the teams he spoke to about this year's draft said that you could probably get the #1 overall pick for like a Lu Dort type of player or (insert a good team's 4th or 5th best player here). He said (you won't believe this, but they brought the Celtics into it) someone like Derrick White for example is worth significantly more than the #1 overall pick in this year's draft and someone like Terrence Mann might be too much, so maybe we're selling the Portis package short lol.

The guys that they're discussing on here are:

Derrick White - far too valuable
Julius Randle - why would the Knicks do that?
Terrence Mann - maybe too valuable
Cam Johnson - now we're getting somewhere

Another team replied to Russillo and said this draft is basically like if you took a normal draft and removed the top 10 prospects; like basically starting the draft with taking Derrick Lively or Tobias Harris (who as we all know we took at like #19 or something?) out of college at #1.

Russillo's take is if Washington had won the lottery, they'd probably just be like "we don't want to win next year anyways so let's just take someone and hope we're all wrong about this draft and we luck out with a good player" but a team like Atlanta may consider their trade options and decide they'd rather have an established starting caliber player than whoever they'd take at #1 (but this obviously could change depending on what Atlanta decides to do from a team-building perspective).
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#1382 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm

I don't follow the draft super close these days but I find that kind of crazy. How many times have supposedly strong drafts ended up flopping and folks say things like 'well with how young they are now its impossible to predict" type things. Well that works in reverse too. I of course grant without a Wemby, LBJ, Davis etc type clear cut star at the top there isn't a shine to it but there's still gong to be plenty of players out of this and several will end up stars.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,784

Post#1383 » by JayMKE » Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm

How bad exactly is this draft? Oof
FREE GIANNIS
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,645

Post#1384 » by Bernman » Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Bernman wrote:However, if some of our more measured fans are even making this claim, it speaks well to the potential return.

Bobby and Pat for Huerter, Davion Mitchell and pick #13.

I can see Vivek liking it. Get vets in for another playoff push. For us, Davion is decent as a point of attack guard, in a contract year. Pick #13 is the real asset, and what we might do with it.

That's an absolute home-run for us, especially if we don't have to throw in 23 or 33. It's either that or the OKC deal. Bobby and 23 for 12, Kenrich Williams, and Ousmane Dieng. I doubt we'd do it, but that's even a scenario where I'd be fine just keeping the pick and injecting some youth into the roster while keeping Brook as a luxury player/asset going into the season.

I like the Kings deal for the Bucks value-wise; I just don't know if it's what Sacto would want given he doesn't complement Sabonis.

The Thunder are indeed the most logical destination, due to Bobby's complement to Chet. I'd be most interested in a package surrounding Dort. If they wouldn't concede, I'd use them to facilitate a deal w/ the Raptors for Bruce Brown. Tackle that pt of attack d problem. The Raptors would make better use of that type of package from the Thunder. And I don't see much value in going from later to mid 1st in this draft since it's more quantity than quality-centric.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#1385 » by jakecronus8 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

machu46 wrote:

Following up on this, I'm listening to the Bill Simmons pod with Russillo...Russillo said that one of the teams he spoke to about this year's draft said that you could probably get the #1 overall pick for like a Lu Dort type of player or (insert a good team's 4th or 5th best player here). He said (you won't believe this, but they brought the Celtics into it) someone like Derrick White for example is worth significantly more than the #1 overall pick in this year's draft and someone like Terrence Mann might be too much, so maybe we're selling the Portis package short lol.

Another team replied to Russillo and said this draft is basically like if you took a normal draft and removed the top 10 prospects; like basically starting the draft with taking Derrick Lively or Tobias Harris (who as we all know we took at like #19 or something?) out of college at #1.

Russillo's take is if Washington had won the lottery, they'd probably just be like "we don't want to win next year anyways so let's just take someone and hope we're all wrong about this draft and we luck out with a good player" but a team like Atlanta may consider their trade options and decide they'd rather have an established starting caliber player than whoever they'd take at #1 (but this obviously could change depending on what Atlanta decides to do from a team-building perspective).

This sounds like clickbait to be honest. It's not a strong draft but I don't believe for a second someone like Dort or the guys mentioned here net the #1 pick.
Do it for Chuck
machu46
RealGM

Post#1386 » by machu46 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
machu46 wrote:

This sounds like clickbait to be honest. It's not a strong draft but I don't believe for a second someone like Dort or the guys mentioned here net the #1 pick.

If it were coming from Simmons, I'd 100% agree. And realistically, the optics of trading a #1 overall pick for someone like Dort or Cam Johnson is so bad that I just can't envision any team actually doing it. But the basic gist of it was that Russillo got similar responses from numerous teams and I don't think Russillo is really a guy that chases clicks.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,704

Post#1387 » by LuessiT » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Fans underestimate how much guaranteed $$$ a top pick makes. Wiseman was a colossal bust not only because he never lived up to the potential, but he was also costing the Warriors so much money due to tax.
Atlanta owner seems like he wants to cut salary. Wouldn’t be surprised if some teams would like to opt out of overpaying a rookie if they can get a known commodity.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#1388 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Yeah there's way too much hyperbole at this point. Certain teams might value a guy like Derrick White over having the #1 overall pick and a guy like Sarr or Holland, but obviously someone like Washington, Portland, or Charlotte isn't doing that. But this is why we're in prime position to take advantage of this "weak draft" narrative.

You've got some really good player assets and a bunch of teams in the lottery that wanna win (Atlanta, Sacramento, OKC, Houston, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit). And what's more, our transaction window basically ends on June 30th before the new league year starts. Horst needs to be working the 3-team trade market and figuring out how he can add multiple playoff pieces to this roster before free agency.
machu46
RealGM

Post#1389 » by machu46 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah there's way too much hyperbole at this point. Certain teams might value a guy like Derrick White over having the #1 overall pick and a guy like Sarr or Holland, but obviously someone like Washington, Portland, or Charlotte isn't doing that. But this is why we're in prime position to take advantage of this "weak draft" narrative.

You've got some really good player assets and a bunch of teams in the lottery that wanna win (Atlanta, Sacramento, OKC, Houston, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit). And what's more, our transaction window basically ends on June 30th before the new league year starts. Horst needs to be working the 3-team trade market and figuring out how he can add multiple playoff pieces to this roster before free agency.

I guess the other follow up question is who are we targeting in such a trade up? The consensus top 10 right now appears to be, in order (just combining Givony, KOC, Hollinger, and Vecenie's big boards):

1. Sarr
2. Topic
3. Castle
4. Clingan
5. Sheppard
6. Holland
7. Buzelis
8. Dillingham
9. Risacher
10. Knecht

I think defense is probably priority #1 and that would likely eliminate Topic, Dillingham, Buzelis, and Knecht (though you could maybe argue Buzelis or Knecht could be sort of a present day Middleton defensively where they're pretty good in terms of team-defense while being too slow to stay in front of a lot of guys).

Maybe we like the defensive system we employ with Brook and envision Clingan as the successor? I could kinda see it but it would probably piss off a lot of fans.

I'm personally not a Sarr or Castle guy. I think Holland might be the best prospect in the class in my eyes, but an 18 year old that maybe has no role at all in halfcourt offense probably isn't a great fit for where this team is right now.

So you're basically left with Sheppard and Risacher at that point. Sheppard could probably step in on day 1 as the backup PG, but I can't really envision him playing with Dame much. He's probably going top 5-8 and that feels very rich for a backup PG. Risacher I could see. Has the length to potentially bother people and has thrived in his role as a spot up shooter this year. And he's only 19 so maybe he unlocks more offensive game as he continues to develop. I don't know; there's nobody I really love in a trade up at the moment but if for example we swapped Portis for some playable vet and Risacher, I could potentially get on board. Would certainly be a big risk though.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,020

Post#1390 » by emunney » Tue May 14, 2024 7:51 pm

machu46 wrote:

It's not that bad, but that's not hugely exaggerated. One addition I'd have though is that the rest of the draft isn't as bad. Like I don't think it all just shifts down. It's just a bad time at the top. This kind of chaos can be really good for teams picking where we are.

I highly doubt we make more than 1 pick. My guess is we trade one of them for multiple future picks.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,163

Post#1391 » by Matches Malone » Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm

Please stop doing interviews, Doc... As if the media doesn't have enough ammo to sling at us.

But also, **** JJ Redick so bash away :lol:

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,784

Post#1392 » by JayMKE » Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 pm

JJ Redick is such fake ass punk personality, dude has been a dbag since Duke and probably before. Fact his name is even getting floated out there as a coach with zero experience whatsoever is kind of a joke, as if, dude sucked up to Lebron enough and wants to be his bitch now ig.
FREE GIANNIS
ABucksFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,430

Post#1393 » by ABucksFan » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

JayMKE wrote:JJ Redick is such fake ass punk personality, dude has been a dbag since Duke and probably before. Fact his name is even getting floated out there as a coach with zero experience whatsoever is kind of a joke, as if, dude sucked up to Lebron enough and wants to be his bitch now ig.

100%, the douchebag vibes are off the charts with him :lol:
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#1394 » by buckboy » Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm

-Jragon- wrote:The only other former Buck on the list is Kareem

Ummm......Serge Ibaka?

How could we possibly forget.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,346

Post#1395 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 14, 2024 10:44 pm

Redick is awesome.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,645

Post#1396 » by Bernman » Tue May 14, 2024 11:15 pm

I have a hard time believing any GM would trade the top pick for Dort, if they were actually in the position, regardless of rhetoric.

Better players than Dort from the 2013 draft analog: Giannis, Gobert, McCollum, Adams, Oladipo

Similar level players: O. Porter, Olynyk, Schroder, Hardaway

If you're in the top 5, even in this draft, you have to take the crack. Otherwise you shouldn't be a GM. The Bucks could use Dort as much as anybody, and if they had the #1, but traded out for him, forget Detroit, Horst should be Fedexed back to Fedex.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#1397 » by -Jragon- » Wed May 15, 2024 12:41 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Redick is awesome.

He's dry.. I think a team would tune him out as a HC..

Our team probably wouldn't understand half of what he says.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#1398 » by buckboy » Wed May 15, 2024 1:53 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Redick is awesome.

At being a complete twat
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,163

Post#1399 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#1400 » by jakecronus8 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:27 pm

Sam would be fun as the guy people irrationally want to replace Doc with for couple years.
Do it for Chuck

Return to Milwaukee Bucks