ImageImage

Some Things you Should Know About Scott Skiles....

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Re: Some Things you Should Know About Scott Skiles.... 

Post#121 » by rilamann » Fri Jul 2, 2010 12:52 am

Oh yeah and Corie Blount,how could I forget Corie Blount.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Re: Re: 

Post#122 » by rilamann » Fri Jul 2, 2010 12:57 am

BDUB_30 wrote:
midranger wrote:I view Skiles as LK with a resume.

I would not be a fan of this hire at all. Bring in a guy who has had real success. Carlise or bust.

I didnt bump this thread just skmming it over i read THIS !

:lol:

Im not even trying to be a jerk but wow ....you stay taking L's dude. my god, youre like rob deer around here. Swinging at everything and missing ...

Any thread older than 4 months is probably guaranteed to have at least 1 gem courtesy of Midranger.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
uesbc
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: 

Post#123 » by uesbc » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:07 am

d
Bucks_Revenge wrote:didn't Kidd bash Byron Scott...didnt Thomas bash Karl..and who the hell is this Eddy Curry guy.

Lolling here. He didn't just bash Scott. Jason Kidd fired him from NJ to instasll his puppet coach, Lawrence Frank. Let's not forget that Kidd got Lou Campanelli fired from Cal and replaced with Kidd's favorite assistant, Todd Bozeman. Kidd may be a Hall of Famer, but he is nothing short of a coach killer.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: 

Post#124 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:16 am

I would not be a fan of this hire at all. Bring in a guy who has had real success. Carlise or bust.

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#125 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:26 am

I wonder what the hell I told twirly to edit.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,166

Post#126 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:26 am

Took me a full page to realize this is old....

Anyways, I know we can laugh at this thread, but just because the team bought into Skiles last year doesn't mean it will carry over. Skiles had a team full of players that fit his style. This year we added some guys that may not listen to Skiles the whole time. Maggette, Gooden, Gallon, CDR, and Hobson are unknowns. Salmons is no longer playing for a deal. Jennings doesn't have a back-up PG that is good enough to force Jennings to the bench if he is out of control. Even his boys might not be happy. Ersan suddenly doesn't have a role, Delfino went from starter to 8th or 9th man. There's no guarantee that team will buy into Skiles system again. A lot of it has to do with Bogut being a leader and Skiles keeping him on his side.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Re: 

Post#127 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:27 am

yuedar wrote:you guys really just don't have a clue... this guy will be fired in 2 years or less.

:pityfool:
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Re: Re: 

Post#128 » by Fight the Tank » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:30 am

rilamann wrote:
BDUB_30 wrote:

I didnt bump this thread just skmming it over i read THIS !

Im not even trying to be a jerk but wow ....you stay taking L's dude. my god, youre like rob deer around here. Swinging at everything and missing ...

Any thread older than 4 months is probably guaranteed to have at least 1 gem courtesy of Midranger.

He's never wrong though.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
uesbc
Sophomore

Post#129 » by uesbc » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:34 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Took me a full page to realize this is old....

Anyways, I know we can laugh at this thread, but just because the team bought into Skiles last year doesn't mean it will carry over. Skiles had a team full of players that fit his style. This year we added some guys that may not listen to Skiles the whole time. Maggette, Gooden, Gallon, CDR, and Hobson are unknowns. Salmons is no longer playing for a deal. Jennings doesn't have a back-up PG that is good enough to force Jennings to the bench if he is out of control. Even his boys might not be happy. Ersan suddenly doesn't have a role, Delfino went from starter to 8th or 9th man. There's no guarantee that team will buy into Skiles system again. A lot of it has to do with Bogut being a leader and Skiles keeping him on his side.

This. Eloquent even.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,200

Post#130 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 2, 2010 1:50 am

Excellent post.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,381

Post#131 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 2, 2010 2:32 am

Yup.
fabio
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#132 » by fabio » Fri Jul 2, 2010 3:40 am

Although I get some of your points (basically the new guys). I really don't get why you say most of it, care to explain?
fabio
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#133 » by fabio » Fri Jul 2, 2010 3:41 am

on a side note: holy bumparola Batman! :o
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,235

Post#134 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Jul 2, 2010 5:42 am

fabio wrote:

Although I get some of your points (basically the new guys). I really don't get why you say most of it, care to explain?

I'll try and put my 2 cents in. Its like this:

New expensive free-agents represent a threat to Skiles' system because they undermine (potentially) his PT-as-a-reward-for-buying-into-his-style-play system.
This is because they have a reason outside of Skiles to get playing time- namely, the GM has paid them millions of dollars to come here- obstensibly to play.

If Skiles' system is dependent solely on the carrot-and-stick of PT, any time he's forced to deviate from that incentive system (like say by playing Maggette despite the fact that he missed a defensive rotation or 3, because Maggette is being paid 10M$ a year and if he doesn't ever play, Hammond looks foolish for wasting Kohls money) then the whole system breaks down.

The thing is, Skiles' system works. But it only works if dudes buy into it. Normally, if they don't, they don't play. The guys who do (Delfino, Ilya- Skiles' "boys") are playing because they buy in. If everybody on the floor buys in, the system works. If the system works, the team wins. The more the team wins, the more guys buy in. Etc.

But any kind of wrench in that machinery (like Redd seemed to be last winter maybe?) just sows discontent in the entire system. We saw it last winter- remember Bogut and Jennings getting hardly any minutes for stretches of games? Dark days. The guys who do buy in don't get rewarded with PT, they watch guys who don't buy-in still getting PT, and thus lose their incentive to play Skiles' way, etc etc.
Whole thing can come down like a house of cards. Maybe. Its just a generalized theory.

Its the presence of big contracts (and the GMs natural expectation that the guys he gives big contracts to will actually play) that threatens it. If it breaks down enough, you get the mutiny type situations that Skiles' teams in the past have (supposedly) shown. And/or the ugly GM-vs-Skiles muck we saw in CHI.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#135 » by paul » Fri Jul 2, 2010 6:08 am

DrugBust wrote:Yup.

Fourthed. That doesn't change the fact that mid's quote is p*ss funny though :lol:
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#136 » by sdn40 » Fri Jul 2, 2010 6:20 am

One of the best quotes regarding this situation goes something like this: "It's much easier to coach poor 18 year olds than 23 year old millionaires."
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#137 » by unklchuk » Fri Jul 2, 2010 6:30 am

There's no guarantee that team will buy into Skiles system again.

Nope. The games don't come with guarantees. Hammond even told us that the great chemistry/teamwork that we watched last season wasn't just a science that GMs practice. Wasn't even an art. It was something that happened. And there's no guarantee that it will happen next season, especially with the new guys.

But that doesn't say it was pure chance. Management chose players they thought would fit, and would stay coachable. They did. Skiles coached with the combination of toughness and genuine communication that was accepted. Importantly, accepted by his two best players. So... management was smart and active, and a little luck made the whole thing a fine season.

Strikes me management is being smart and active again. I'm not reading that any of the new players are self-obssessed and confrontational. Skiles is smart, and older. He may have worn out his welcome a while back, but that doesn't have to happen now.

For me, they're putting good ingredients into the cauldron. Turning up the heat. While there's no guarantee that it'll turn into magic, I'll take the odds. With a smile on my face.
AFAIK, IDKM
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#138 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jul 2, 2010 6:46 am

With the moves the last month this is officailly Hammond and Skiles team. They bet thier jobs on Gooden Fish Maggette and Sanders. I've bitched and been confused by some of the moves but at the end of the day I hope JH and Skiles prove why they get paid to make these decisions and I don't.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#139 » by Chapter29 » Fri Jul 2, 2010 12:12 pm

Skiles is very good and a key reason for our team chemistry and success.

He sets the tone with a no nonsense approach treating every player the exact same. He demands a few things out on the court and if you don't do those things he simply sits you. You know exactly where you stand with him and what to do to earn your PT. His system clearly works if you as a player buy in. I think Hammond puts the right type of personalities on the roster for that to happen.

I would like to believe that Skiles has learned from his mistakes. Most smart people do. I would like to think that some of the things said in this thread are some examples of his learning experiences. I don't think he is a ticking time bomb and will do just fine here long term.
Giannis
is
UponUs
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#140 » by unklchuk » Fri Jul 2, 2010 12:53 pm

good comments here
AFAIK, IDKM

Return to Milwaukee Bucks