ImageImage

24/25 College Basketball

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 23/24 College Basketball 

Post#1021 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:01 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:BTW I'd generally believe the Storr Kansas thing. It was mentioned fairly early he'd get over a million. If you heard of what others got last year and he's considered one of the top 3-5 available right now so its not surprising at all that he'll get a million or more from someone. Damask I think got 500K from Ill and I'd assume Shannon got more from them. I don't think I ever heard what Storr got at UW though.

I never know what to believe with this stuff because you hear these huge numbers and then reputable sources say "LOL" to them (Essegian deleted a tweet about it last night and Domask himself said $500k was not what he got).

But these all seem like reasonable numbers.

They also want to downplay to keep good views of themselves on it and there could be complications to it than straight up 500K cash. But all the reported info for the top guys the last couple years is above a million. And he's one of the top few guys available.

Oh also I should've clarified I'm not sure I'd fully believe the tough guy negotiation aspect of that Kansas story, who knows on all that. I just meant the dollar amounts.

Also, if I'm UW I'd rather spend 1.2 million on 3 players than all just on him. What a mess all this is, if I'm Gard I'd rather just retire next year than deal with this and the crazy fans. An older guy without the ideal personality for all this, I'd take my money and go home like so many other coaches have done.

Right, this is kind of why I flipped on him in the past year or two - because the archetype of a good coach that isn't "born on 3rd" at Kansas or UNC now is Nate Oats. Somebody that crushes free agency and puts the pieces together vs. developing continuity.

All of that said - the portal is now so ubiquitous that I think it's going to shift a bit. For 2020-2023, the teams that were the pioneers of the portal were kings. Now everybody is resigned to doing it. I think somebody like Gard will be fine now that he knows what he has to do.

Maybe he somehow strikes out this offseason - but I don't see him doing something stupid enough as 2022-2023, "let's just let Johnny Davis' brother fill his shoes" sort of team build.

Other than Jay Wright who had nothing else to win - Gard isn't as old as the other guys that hung it up. Roy Williams and and Coach K were going to retire anyways. Maybe it sped it up by a year. Gard is still early 50s.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,200

Post#1022 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:39 pm

UWM coach Bart Lundy is on the radio right now talking about BJ Freeman. He entered the draft/portal and Lundy said UWM doesn't have the $500,000 Freeman wants. He talked about other coaches calling to get info on Freeman and said that Kevin Keatts called him this morning about Freeman. It was an interesting conversation.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,198

Post#1023 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:52 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats Kon Knueppel money!

Apparently Wisconsin offered Kon $500,000, Marquette offered him $800,000, and Duke landed him with $1,000,000.

Crazy new landscape.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#1024 » by JayMKE » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:13 pm

this is how college basketball works now? dont really see the point of college athletics at this point other than branding
FREE GIANNIS
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,816

Post#1025 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:28 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thats Kon Knueppel money!

Apparently Wisconsin offered Kon $500,000, Marquette offered him $800,000, and Duke landed him with $1,000,000.

Crazy new landscape.

We never would have gotten Dekker. Frank would have transferred after his Junior breakout.

Marquette wouldn't have kept Wade. Wouldn't have gotten Blue (though maybe he'd have transferred back after his NIL was pulled - sorry, I had to by obligation of UW/MU hatred).
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,205

Post#1026 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:35 pm

Hot take: I’d rather have two BJ Freeman level players than one AJ Storr level player
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1027 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:41 pm

College presidents (from schools not in the SEC/Big Ten) and NFL execs (looking to avoid paying for a minor league/maintain large draftable pool of players) discussing 80 team Super League?

Lol. Nope.

OSU and Alabama still don’t want to subsidize North Carolina State and Cincinnati.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1028 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:53 pm

Adding, I can definitely see a world where the NFL views a premier league of the 32 best college teams (mainly in their markets) getting the best recruits as STEEP competition with even a greater emotional tie in for fans.

80 teams keeps it watered down enough, and their involvement keeps it under their thumb to a degree.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1029 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:20 pm

midranger wrote:College presidents (from schools not in the SEC/Big Ten) and NFL execs (looking to avoid paying for a minor league/maintain large draftable pool of players) discussing 80 team Super League?

Lol. Nope.

OSU and Alabama still don’t want to subsidize North Carolina State and Cincinnati.

Kinda relates to my posts the other day - the big schools are actually already being subsidized by the crappy schools. They're not paying the players themselves and they get to use Cincinnati and Toledo as their minor league teams all while watering down the competition to beat the **** out of more often.

Maybe they could use those teams as a minor league system anyways in a 32 team league, but I think there's a reason that these little guys are trying to push this as their chance for a seat at the table.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1030 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:33 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
midranger wrote:College presidents (from schools not in the SEC/Big Ten) and NFL execs (looking to avoid paying for a minor league/maintain large draftable pool of players) discussing 80 team Super League?

Lol. Nope.

Kinda relates to my posts the other day - the big schools are actually already being subsidized by the crappy schools. They're not paying the players themselves and they get to use Cincinnati and Toledo as their minor league teams all while watering down the competition to beat the **** out of more often.

Maybe they could use those teams as a minor league system anyways in a 32 team league, but I think there's a reason that these little guys are trying to push this as their chance for a seat at the table.

But you’re assuming that the current model is sustainable. I don’t think many at a high level agree with that, not even in the short term, ergo the push to create a new model (for football anyway). There will be a dash to solidify the hierarchy and the spoils that come with it.

I think English football is a clear model that could/should be followed. Could still play lower tiered teams/rivalries in the “preseason” whatever. Player movement between leagues. Team movement based on relegation/promotion.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1031 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:38 pm

midranger wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Lol. Nope.

But you’re assuming that the current model is sustainable. I don’t think many at a high level agree with that, not even in the short term, ergo the push to create a new model (for football anyway). There will be a dash to solidify the hierarchy and the spoils that come with it.

I think English football is a clear model that could/should be followed. Could still play lower tiered teams/rivalries in the “preseason” whatever. Player movement between leagues. Team movement based on relegation/promotion.

I do think something does end up pushing us over the edge to that someday - but I think the big dogs actually might like this format.

We already kind of have promotion/relegation given in basketball you've had teams like Wichita State, Butler, etc. climb the ladder and in football we've seen UCF, Cincy, etc. kind of climb the ladder. We have FBS, FCS, D2, D3, etc...maybe we tier it one more time, I guess.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it is already the case/already actually is seen as bad for the coaches, but the big boys secretly like the portal, IMO. The schools get to keep all of the cash and it's a one year contract for Alabama to clean out their crappy players and poach the best team money can buy. Maybe coaches hate the continuity issues, especially in basketball, but the big guys that run the game get the best advantages. You'd have to write in lopsided rules to the 32/80 team leagues and I'm not sure you could make these guys much happier.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1032 » by midranger » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:02 pm

That’s all fair.

I think for the big fish it’ll come down to contracts. If a 32 team league could score a contract 80% of the NFL’s by playing premier matchups every week, it becomes a No brainer for those universities.

Further, it’s only add to their structural advantages over the have nots, which they would continue to exploit.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1033 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:03 pm

Will be curious to see where Avilla goes this offseason. With not just his play but also the hype/character built around him now, I imagine he's gonna get a haul.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1034 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:15 am

Seton Hall defended the hell out of that OOT call (which was super basic/not a great call with like 11 seconds left). Indiana St let that one go.

Great game though.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1035 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:01 pm

Holy ****, Edey hasn't been able to make NIL money because he's Canadian? Man it's even more backwards that I could have imagined.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,378

Post#1036 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:29 am

BS call.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,982

Post#1037 » by jschligs » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:31 am

Fix is in.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,030

Post#1038 » by mattg » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:32 am

ReasonablySober wrote:BS call.

It was a make up call from prior. Edwards literally tackled Marshall screening on the corner 3 UCONN hit without a call.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1039 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:36 am

That was lame.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,378

Post#1040 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:57 am