ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

EMC5466
Rookie
And1: 2,444

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#941 » by EMC5466 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:29 pm

Ramona Shelbourne says the situation between the Heat and Jimmy has been building for the last two years. Pat Riley is sick and tired of his foolishness. She said the Heat swallowed it because Jimmy was playing at a high level but now that’s over.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,224

Post#942 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 7:32 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:I'm not anti-Jimmy at all but people gotta give it a rest. This "rep" he has all stems from him punking the Timberwolves, I can't recall another team he's "nuked".

76ers couldn’t wait to get rid of him. Bulls also traded him away after causing problems in the locker room.

AS MWP said, they offered him a max deal..I believe he even signed for a little less here. Nothing described was "nuclear". We lived through Klutch's sabotage, I'm sure we'll be fine with Jimmy Butler, especially considering the relationship his agent has with FO.

Butler had to go nuclear because Thibodeau wouldn't have traded him because there was a small chance everything would work out right although Butler didn't believe it, he even says this in the Rachel Nichole's interview that nobody ever pointed out, that seemed to be a huge thing that was swept under the rug. I don't believe he'd cause many issues in Miami, he'd either opt out without hinting to management he was going to do that next year and go elsewhere or just retire in 2 seasons, both situations where Miami would get nothing but some money cap relief, which would be the first season of Bam's new max or supermax (if he makes All-NBA this year) kicking in of an average over 60 million per year at 3 for 165 or 4 for 245.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#943 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 7:37 pm

Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: Keep your mouth shut if you aren't playing | NBA on ESPN

Here's the whole interview. (43 minutes)
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 4,996

Post#944 » by SoFlaKingReal » Mon May 6, 2024 7:41 pm

AirP. wrote:
Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: Keep your mouth shut if you aren't playing | NBA on ESPN

Is there anyone that disagrees with what Riley said here?
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,827

Post#945 » by Daffy » Mon May 6, 2024 7:42 pm

EMC5466 wrote:Ramona Shelbourne says the situation between the Heat and Jimmy has been building for the last two years. Pat Riley is sick and tired of his foolishness. She said the Heat swallowed it because Jimmy was playing at a high level but now that’s over.

Building for two years and no insiders leaked anything? Not buying it.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#946 » by twix2500 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:44 pm

Daffy wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:Ramona Shelbourne says the situation between the Heat and Jimmy has been building for the last two years. Pat Riley is sick and tired of his foolishness. She said the Heat swallowed it because Jimmy was playing at a high level but now that’s over.

Building for two years and no insiders leaked anything? Not buying it.
Don't pay attention to Ramona. There is smoke but they are trying to make it spicy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,651

Post#947 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon May 6, 2024 7:45 pm

SoFlaKingReal wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Is there anyone that disagrees with what Riley said here?

I agree with Pat's statements, But I definitely question how smart it is to make them publicly.

These modern star players today can get full diva, If Jimmy hears this and gets into his feeling this era might have just died.

Or Jimmy doesn't give a ****, who know.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
AirP.
RealGM

Post#948 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 7:48 pm

Here's the end of Riley's opening statement.
Minnesota Indiana you know Boston with their new Group Orlando etc etc you know
for some reason these guys are playing 70 to 80 games it's a feeling more than anything
else but uh that's definitely a deep dive for us this
summer into player availability but so we have to change some things but we
surely are not going to rip anything apart here you know okay that's my
statement.

Riley asked...
Pat at the start of the Season you said that there's a there's a
shelf life for a core and after there's a shelf life for a core if you will
after five years if you don't get it done you have to think about what if where where are you in that process now?

Riley's answer...
going in a year six
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,179

Post#949 » by heatwillbeback » Mon May 6, 2024 7:50 pm

No idea why Pat even commits to these. I feel like it does more harm than good most of the time.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#950 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 7:57 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:No idea why Pat even commits to these. I feel like it does more harm than good most of the time.

This is quite informative so far (I'm only 9 minutes in).

Riley..
who moves the needle the most you know on our team is Jimmy Jimmy moves the needle the most
he's an incredible player and so and what I I
said at the beginning uh about change is he's got to give it some thought himself
you know for this thing to be what he really wants it to be and so and I want
it to be and Micky and everybody else so so this this fiveyear window we've been
pretty successful we haven't won the Chip And I think that bothers
everybody but uh our organization is not about rebuilding

Sounds like what's been leaked from Miami's side, we believe in you Jimmy but you gotta play more in the regular season/not take games off when you're playing and see if Butler owns up to that and will commit to playing more in the regular season. Also sounds like if you're looking to prolong your career by taking it easier in the regular season maybe Miami isn't for you.

No rebuild, retool yes.

Doesn't exactly seem like he's happy that the NBA draft is now 2 days long.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#951 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 8:02 pm

Riley on a Butler extension mentions they don't have to do it until 2025 when Butler can opt out, but talking about the extension he kind of stressed the word "commitment", he also mentioned they haven't made a decision on it and really haven't discussed it much. Seems a pretty serious talk will have to happen before considering giving an extension.

When asked about what happens July 7th when Butler ask for an extension Riley mentioned the first extension was a no brainer, this one either they can grant it or they will say they have to think about it, it would seem they want some promises made about how Butler handles the regular season. Riley just mentioned it's hard to allocate those resources to a guy who's not going to be there every night.
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,816

Post#952 » by al bondiga » Mon May 6, 2024 8:03 pm

SoFlaKingReal wrote:
al bondiga wrote:jb to 76ers?? for maxey???

Sixers would be insane to move Maxey.
Well , I heard pat And you know he's always hinting to what he's not gonna do and and he does it anyway... I say it's pretty obvious that JB is getting traded And most of the league says 76.Ers...
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,094

Post#953 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon May 6, 2024 8:06 pm

Jimmy isn’t going to punk Miami lol Pat just went in front of everyone and flamed him. If he acts up he’ll be shot down or traded, it’s that simple.

I think they’ll make it work. Hes not asking much from Jimmy, just asking him to care basically. Everyone should want their $50M player to do that. “Here Jimmy if you care and actually play more this year you can have the extension” it’s that simple.
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#954 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 8:12 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Jimmy isn’t going to punk Miami lol Pat just went in front of everyone and flamed him. If he acts up he’ll be shot down or traded, it’s that simple.

I think they’ll make it work. Hes not asking much from Jimmy, just asking him to care basically. Everyone should want their $50M player to do that. “Here Jimmy if you care and actually play more this year you can have the extension” it’s that simple.

Riley's putting out exactly what he wants Butler and his representation to hear.

Riley and Butler both want a championship but being in the play-in games does make that much more difficult to do, you play extra games, and you lose home court every round. I wouldn't be surprised if Butler's come to terms with this too being hurt in the extra games (play-in games).

Riley just said he didn't meet with Bam or Jimmy on Friday when asked if they talked about this on Friday.

Riley said that Miami had conversations with Jimmy and his agent about the days off a year ago.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#955 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon May 6, 2024 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Fat Erny posted this as he hangs from Jimmy’s coattails
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#956 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon May 6, 2024 8:18 pm

AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Jimmy isn’t going to punk Miami lol Pat just went in front of everyone and flamed him. If he acts up he’ll be shot down or traded, it’s that simple.

Riley's putting out exactly what he wants Butler and his representation to hear.

Riley and Butler both want a championship but being in the play-in games does make that much more difficult to do, you play extra games, and you lose home court every round. I wouldn't be surprised if Butler's come to terms with this too being hurt in the extra games (play-in games).

Riley just said he didn't meet with Bam or Jimmy on Friday when asked if they talked about this on Friday.

Let’s hope Pat pulls his weight this summer and does what he needs to do as well, build a legit contender and add talent and I think guys will be more locked in
#FreeBam
wadenation305
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,261

Post#957 » by wadenation305 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:20 pm

Jinsaryko wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh dude, I've seen Riley long enough to know that man was seething in that chair at that very moment. This is literally the spiciest I've ever seen Riley publicly
AirP.
RealGM

Post#958 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 8:21 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Let’s hope Pat pulls his weight this summer and does what he needs to do as well, build a legit contender and add talent and I think guys will be more locked in

Pat's giving a lot of insight. 6th year for the build, need to make changes not rip apart the build and now said "another" not "different" star. Mentions the aprons then says there are 2-3 critical players in this league he'd shoot for the moon for if they became available which also means we're staying under the 2nd apron unless one of 3 players becomes available.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,000

Post#959 » by Johnny Fontane » Mon May 6, 2024 8:22 pm

Just finished watching the whole thing. Biggest takeaway I got from that was that he’s not happy with the player availability. Time to acknowledge not verbally but in the act of doing that this core is not it via trade
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#960 » by IceColdCubano » Mon May 6, 2024 8:30 pm

AirP. wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:No idea why Pat even commits to these. I feel like it does more harm than good most of the time.

This is quite informative so far (I'm only 9 minutes in).

Yeah he blasted a lot of what fans feel out in the open. This didn't feel all that good for Jimmy Butler, theres a lot there he needs to answer there.

Essentially, he wants Jimmy to show the FO that he is worth putting more resources into him, play more, play harder. He discussed how this has been addressed already with Jimmy and his agent and were still in the same place today.
He called Spo, needs to look at the gameplan both on the offense and defense, perhaps this is leading to injuries, or lack of scoring.
He called out that they need to internally look at what their doing in the development, health department for players to miss so many games.
He called Tyler Herro Fragile, and protected the crap out of him on every other metric, calling him a hard worker, a starter, that OG's comments were not based on what he knows, because Spo has not brought this up to him as an issue. Either lots of posturing here to prevent Herro to lose value or they are really invested in the Tyler Herro Guard starter material.
Talked good about Bam, and had zero bad things to say, outside of expecting him to mature more on offense with outside shooting.
Talked good about the young guys Jovic a player whos improvement was very quick and unforeseen as in Miami had a plan that was perhaps longer in the nurturing department but due to our current situation at PF he simply made it hard not to just deal with the growing pains an perhaps expediate the development there ahead of schedule, Jacquez is a warrior in his eyes that if he wasn't injured would have played all 82 games.

Return to Miami Heat