ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#1021 » by Flash4thewin » Tue May 7, 2024 1:37 am

Daffy wrote:Pat threw a lot of blame around in this press conference, but never took any accountability for the fact that the front office didn't quite do their part as well. For a team that's so close we never added that needle mover.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. I have been saying for a while we lack accountability and it all comes from the top.

Something else to consider, ignoring the Butler issue, our team in general is consistently bang up and injured. Our style of playing undersized plays a big role here. Maybe investing more in our medical staff might be a good idea.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#1022 » by twix2500 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:43 am

Siakum look like he trying to sabotage the game

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#1023 » by IceColdCubano » Tue May 7, 2024 1:52 am

Flash4thewin wrote:
Daffy wrote:Pat threw a lot of blame around in this press conference, but never took any accountability for the fact that the front office didn't quite do their part as well. For a team that's so close we never added that needle mover.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. I have been saying for a while we lack accountability and it all comes from the top.

Something else to consider, ignoring the Butler issue, our team in general is consistently bang up and injured. Our style of playing undersized plays a big role here. Maybe investing more in our medical staff might be a good idea.

Top executives usually never will, they silently learn from their mistakes if their good at their job and pivot into a better decision. They maintain the strength figure from above, so that it amplifies downward to his people. If Spo tweaks his offense and Defense like he said, Herro somehow goes through an entire season without breaking down, Miami gets healthy, Jimmy goes top 5 MVP voting and they run it back and we finish top 3 seed getting back into the ECF/Finals would that pretty much cement that he was right all along.

Basically they'll explore growth from within, and fix anything they have that is schematic from the coaching side, try and keep everyone healthy and playing more games. If that is unsuccessful then they might call the build and let Jimmy expire at that point in time. I think were Pat's head is that their invested in this build with Jimmy, they lost enough picks they would rather not have lost to this point for the trash they got with so their trying to keep their hands off the cookie jar. Hoping perhaps some of it pays off like Rozier, but will go as far as it can go with the limited resources they have without breaking the bank anymore for at least another season or two, to help accumulate more assets. Once this transitions out of the Jimmy era then at that point they should have hopefully recouped enough assets to get another Jimmy type player.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,605

Post#1024 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 1:58 am

Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
AirP. wrote:He's paid too much to be a 6th man. I'm sure there's some teams out there who would like Herro to start for them because of who they currently having start or just need more 3pt shooting. It'll be easier to change Herro's game if he changes team's vs trying to change his game for the longterm while in Miami.

That’s why I feel like a swap of Herro for Ingram makes a ton of sense. Allows Murphy to take over at SF and gives them a true scoring two in Herro who’s young and is likes by their star Williamson. Also alot leas pressure in NO for Herro.

Zion also loves Herro. So there's that.

The fit with CJ is a little awkward though.

CJ is getting up there and probably not in long term plans. Expiring contract next year
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,794

Post#1025 » by Rapaz » Tue May 7, 2024 2:01 am

Flash4thewin wrote:

And that’s why Pat will forever be a Rat, while Mama Gayle keeps landing whales.
NightWatch
Junior
And1: 435

Post#1026 » by NightWatch » Tue May 7, 2024 2:20 am

greg4012 wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
HeatFan_NC wrote:
The Wolves have benefitted from some high draft picks and decent trades over the last couple of years. Having the foresight to pair KAT with another big that can defend and rebound was a smart plan and decision. Bringing in a smart, consistent PG in Conley, Jr. was huge. Drafting Edwards (who's looking like a young Jordan now) was a wise choice!

If we can find a reliable big that can shoot, rebound and defend to pair with Bam, we'll be headed in the right direction.

I won't correlate Minny and Miami in this example way too different. Both Kat and Gobert are 7 footers one is an actual scorer. Also we don't have the equivalency of Anthony Edwards, or to lesser degree McDaniel's as a top tier wing defender.

The equivalency here is that Bam is the Gobert of this example, and we don't have a Kat version next to him, but in the end Bam is still 6'-9". Were also missing Anthony Edwards, you won't find that guy outside of the top 10 pick in a draft we won't find ourselves in. Also McDaniel's is 3x better than his comp on our team in Haywood Highsmith. Were a bit flawed as a team, were a couple missing pieces to get there I think were 3 key pieces away, 1 superstar, 1 premier all world 3&D player wing, 1 top 20 league big next to Bam.

Bam is also a better defender for the playoff game than Gobert. Gobert being buttressed with all the right defenders in Minny in the early playoff rounds and being solid so far doesn't change that.

The fascination with Bam's size among Heat fans still blows my mind. He's 6'9 without shoes. Gobert is surrounded by plus defenders and Towns--who is long and mediocre as a defender. Minny has done a great job of getting 2-way players across the board. Celtics, Thunder, Nuggets and even the Knicks have done the same.

Ice cold; is not jovic what are we hoping to elevated his game to the next level next to Bam? I acknowledged that JOvic is a far away from being a really consistent productive player but I wonder if Heat fans have already thrown in the towel on Jovic? Honestly, i don’t even know how good he is going to be? The only person knows that is Jovic himself, unfortunately. I am watching
Wolves vs Nuggets now. Wolves looks great so far.
NightWatch
Junior

Post#1027 » by NightWatch » Tue May 7, 2024 2:23 am

What the heck is going on with Pat Riley, his statement sounds as if Jimmy Bulter put sour in pat’s mouth. I think Pat Riley has no business rebutting Jimmy Butlers’ comments because Heat was in two finals in the last four years and Jimmy Butler was the result of that. Without Jimmy, Miami wouldve been non playoff team or guaranteed first round exit. Tyler and Bam as duo ain’t going to cut it as shown vs Boston .
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,884

Post#1028 » by marson » Tue May 7, 2024 2:30 am

This is 100% spot on. Lack of SELF-awareness of this FO smh.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1029 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 2:30 am

NightWatch wrote:What the heck is going on with Pat Riley, his statement sounds as if Jimmy Bulter put a sour in his mouth.

Don’t think he liked the take the regular season off playoff Jimmy attitude this year but he put this wack ass group together and glorified jags like Highsmith giving him prime time minutes and also wasted 5 bench spots on dead beat centers who his coach never played.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1030 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 2:33 am

marson wrote:

This is 100% spot on. Lack of SELF-awareness of this FO smh.

Major lack of self awareness. Like farts don’t stink type chit. Thinks he can turn water into wine or his coach with smartest man in the room syndrome running out guys like Highsmith and Martin at PF and playing a 6’8 cemented footed Love at backup Center with them to boot. His roster construction and everyone who enabled it this year are all to blame.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#1031 » by IceColdCubano » Tue May 7, 2024 2:41 am

NightWatch wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
I won't correlate Minny and Miami in this example way too different. Both Kat and Gobert are 7 footers one is an actual scorer. Also we don't have the equivalency of Anthony Edwards, or to lesser degree McDaniel's as a top tier wing defender.

The equivalency here is that Bam is the Gobert of this example, and we don't have a Kat version next to him, but in the end Bam is still 6'-9". Were also missing Anthony Edwards, you won't find that guy outside of the top 10 pick in a draft we won't find ourselves in. Also McDaniel's is 3x better than his comp on our team in Haywood Highsmith. Were a bit flawed as a team, were a couple missing pieces to get there I think were 3 key pieces away, 1 superstar, 1 premier all world 3&D player wing, 1 top 20 league big next to Bam.

Bam is also a better defender for the playoff game than Gobert. Gobert being buttressed with all the right defenders in Minny in the early playoff rounds and being solid so far doesn't change that.

The fascination with Bam's size among Heat fans still blows my mind. He's 6'9 without shoes. Gobert is surrounded by plus defenders and Towns--who is long and mediocre as a defender. Minny has done a great job of getting 2-way players across the board. Celtics, Thunder, Nuggets and even the Knicks have done the same.

Ice cold; is not jovic what are we hoping to elevate his game to the next level next to Bam? I acknowledged that JOvic is a far away from being a really consistent productive player but I wonder if Heat fans have already thrown in the towel on Jovic? Honestly, i don’t even know how good he is going to be? The only person knows that is Jovic himself, unfortunately. I am watching
Wolves vs Nuggets now.

I don't see Jovic in the mold of Kat that's not his archetype his more of a point forward, someone who can get you into sets, and give you relief buckets from the three, and potentially a great fast break player coming off a rebound that could push your pace a bit, him and Bam have some overlap in certain things, we keep finding these guys that while they do things well, tend to overlap in the things they excel in and the things they don't their not great at. Take for example, Jimmy and Bam, great two way players, that occupy that elbow and neither are great volume three point shooters although we need one of them to be. Take for example Bam and Jovic, both bigs that are great in transition, both great catching the defender on their heel using long strides of a pump fake, both can get their team into offensive sets in the half court. Neither one is a volume scorer who can get up points quickly and with dominance or be post up scorers. We have a bunch of great wing defenders (Caleb, Highsmith), but none of them have functional size, or dominant athletism to overcome their limitations, outside of Caleb who is better at driving to the basket, everyone else has clumsy dribbles. Jacquez is the only one on the team that has a very different archetype, good post moves, good handles, mediocre jump shooting but could polish that a bit, and a decent first step of a pump fake, but does not do anything extraordinary, ie jack of all trades master of none. Tyler and Rozier have giant overlaps, neither play defense, one lacks in wingspan and vertical leap and gets stuffed at the rim often, the other lacks functional size its like a miniature version that happens to have a quicker for step and finds himself engulfed by trees under the basket too often, their both super streaky and can't be counted every game for every good game theyll throw bunch of duds and also as many points as they score theyll allow on the other end.

To me this is the biggest hurdle, getting some of the overlap replaced with functional size, and actual length, speed, vertical leaping ability, guys who can get to the basket and score easily or stop others from scoring easily. We don't posses a slasher type archetype preferably that isn't smaller than 6'-4" could be either a SG or SF that would open up and carve the defense up and give us easy opportunities by collapsing the defense.

way too much overlap on this team, like at all levels, sure it makes Spo be able to plug one guy here and there without missing a beat since they all do the same crap but we don't end up doing nothing elite at any one thing.
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore
And1: 312

Post#1032 » by HeatFan_NC » Tue May 7, 2024 3:07 am

MIN is making the Nuggets look like they made us look in the Finals last year.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1033 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 3:20 am

HeatFan_NC wrote:MIN is making the Nuggets look like they made us look in the Finals last year.

Front office is salivating at resigning Haywood Highsmith and making him the starting 4 again.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,099

Post#1034 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue May 7, 2024 3:50 am

Gobert DPOY tho :lol:
#FreeBam
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,176

Post#1035 » by eddieheatfan » Tue May 7, 2024 3:52 am

NightWatch wrote:What the heck is going on with Pat Riley, his statement sounds as if Jimmy Bulter put sour in pat’s mouth. I think Pat Riley has no business rebutting Jimmy Butlers’ comments because Heat was in two finals in the last four years and Jimmy Butler was the result of that. Without Jimmy, Miami wouldve been non playoff team or guaranteed first round exit. Tyler and Bam as duo ain’t going to cut it as shown vs Boston .
what you say is true but also jimmy tends to coast thus costs the heat many games. the heat should have never been in the play in if jimmy was serious this season. did you saw his antics off court? the emo and mickey mouse look. come on bro.

dude thinks that the heat owes him something. the only thing that he heat owes is his salary.

btw, him bringing the heat to the finals in a losing season was not only his credit. strus and martin played pretty well in some of the series as well.

i repeat,the heat ows jimmy nothing except his salary that he agreed to with them and his agent.

i want him gone, because that's not the right attitude to have in an org such as the heat. the fans deserve better!
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,042

Post#1036 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:27 am

eddieheatfan wrote:
NightWatch wrote:What the heck is going on with Pat Riley, his statement sounds as if Jimmy Bulter put sour in pat’s mouth. I think Pat Riley has no business rebutting Jimmy Butlers’ comments because Heat was in two finals in the last four years and Jimmy Butler was the result of that. Without Jimmy, Miami wouldve been non playoff team or guaranteed first round exit. Tyler and Bam as duo ain’t going to cut it as shown vs Boston .
what you say is true but also jimmy tends to coast thus costs the heat many games. the heat should have never been in the play in if jimmy was serious this season. did you saw his antics off court? the emo and mickey mouse look. come on bro.

dude thinks that the heat owes him something. the only thing that he heat owes is his salary.

btw, him bringing the heat to the finals in a losing season was not only his credit. strus and martin played pretty well in some of the series as well.

i repeat,the heat ows jimmy nothing except his salary that he agreed to with them and his agent.

i want him gone, because that's not the right attitude to have in an org such as the heat. the fans deserve better!

I agree. He already got his big pay day for what he produced over the last few years for us. This season, he made way more than what his performance merited. He still has two more seasons left where he will likely make more than what his performance will merit. I think we are more than even. If he is going to underperform and throw a fit and be a locker room problem, then he needs to leave. Part of his strength for us over the years was helping elevate his teammates. If he isn’t doing that or playing at a high level… then what is left to merit a max extension?
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,409

Post#1037 » by Heat3 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:58 am

What you mean no business rebutting Jimmy? If not Riley then who? No one allowed to expect more from Jimmy? Not even his boss?
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,652

Post#1038 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue May 7, 2024 7:29 am

If Pat expects Jimmy to be more available, I expect Pat to help Jimmy stay healthy by :

1) Adding a real offensive scorer/creator to take some of the pressure off Jimmy.

2) Add real size across the board so we're not always undersized, overpowered, needing to give 110% effort every second, getting beat up.

If the front office doesn't adress these things, THEY should shut up.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
NightWatch
Junior

Post#1039 » by NightWatch » Tue May 7, 2024 9:40 am

eddieheatfan wrote:

But i would argue that Miami would not get that far in finals without Jimmy Butler. Where was Miami Heat from 2014 to 2019 when Hassan Whiteside was here? Even Dwayne Wade in his last legs couldn’t even take Miami to the final.

In 2015, Heat has Chris bosh, Dwayne wade, Gordon Dragic, loul deng and many good roles player. Miami Heat was a 10th seeds team.
2016, Heat was 3rd in the east and knocked out in the second rounds with really good players and roles players
2017, Heat was not even in the playoff pic
2018, Heat was 6th in the eastern and knocked out in the first rounds
2019, heat missed playoff
2020, Jimmmy Butler arrived, Heat in the Final instantly
2021- Heat loses in the first round against bucks
2022 Heat loses in the conference finals against Boston
2023- Heat in the final but loses against Denver Nuggets

Miami Heat has accomplished far more when Jimmy Butler is here in 4 years span compared to 2014-2019 after the departure of LeBron James.

I susp0ect that Spo is not even a good coach. If Heat needs Jimmy Butler to get you to finals or LeBron James. It makes me question Spo credibility whether if he’s a great coach.
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,884

Post#1040 » by marson » Tue May 7, 2024 9:52 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:If Pat expects Jimmy to be more available, I expect Pat to help Jimmy stay healthy by :

1) Adding a real offensive scorer/creator to take some of the pressure off Jimmy.

2) Add real size across the board so we're not always undersized, overpowered, needing to give 110% effort every second, getting beat up.

If the front office doesn't adress these things, THEY should shut up.

This should've been done after the 2020 Finals loss. Not defending Jimmy or what, but his fewer games played during the season is also BS, but Riley calling him out like that with 0 major moves in last 4 years is questionable.

Return to Miami Heat