ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,198

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#981 » by eddieheatfan » Mon May 20, 2024 4:24 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:I could see Daron Holmes absolutely killing his workout with the Heat. It could come down between Ware and Holmes. da Silva could very well still be an option but he lacks the rim protection we need that the other two bring.
among many things the heat needs a solid pg that can distribute the ball effortlessly. having a true ball handler should help with the spacing problems and consequential droughts that this team tends to suffer in most games.

then we need a true scorer that is not afraid when the moment calls it and also tall athletic guys that can score and rebound as well.

but they also need a change in mentality. the heat needs hungry players that really loves and wants to win games. a change must come if the heat is serious about anything next season and beyond
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,452

Post#982 » by Wiltside » Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am

Topic
Knecht
Carter
McCain

In that order. All are going to be good pros and fit skillsets of need.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,780

Post#983 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon May 20, 2024 10:55 am

Wiltside wrote:Topic
Knecht
Carter
McCain

Sadly there's no chance Topic and Knecht don't go in the lottery.

Carter and Mccain might, but Mccain is too limited and safe of a pick, we can't settle for a backup PG.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,452

Post#984 » by Wiltside » Mon May 20, 2024 11:28 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Topic
Knecht
Carter
McCain

Sadly there's no chance Topic and Knecht don't go in the lottery.

Carter and Mccain might, but Mccain is too limited and safe of a pick, we can't settle for a backup PG.

I guess I’m higher on McCain’s ceiling than most. He’s a legit shooter, and a capable defender, still only 20 and has some upside despite the lack of length. He seems a solid choice at 15 as a combo guard for mine but I understand why others may want someone with more imposing physical attributes.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 146,192

Post#985 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 12:45 pm

The more video I watch the more more I love DaRon Holmes over Kel'el Ware. Holmes just has that attitude and dog in him while Ware seems to coast a lot with a very meh type of body language. Also looks very soft when it comes to screening and fighting down low. Holmes on the other hand looks like a pure junk yard dog with an offensive skill set. When I think of a rotation big that can fit with both Bam and Jovic then Holmes 100% looks to be at the top of that list.

Read on Twitter
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#986 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 12:50 pm

Trade Herro to the Raptors for Bruce Brown and the 19th pick and we come out of this draft with Devin Carter and DaRon Holmes. Holy crap sign me the phuck up.

Essentially Herro becomes

SG Bruce Brown
PG Devin Carter
C/PF DaRon Holmes

Dog central right there
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#987 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon May 20, 2024 2:00 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:The more video I watch the more more I love DaRon Holmes over Kel'el Ware. Holmes just has that attitude and dog in him while Ware seems to coast a lot with a very meh type of body language. Also looks very soft when it comes to screening and fighting down low. Holmes on the other hand looks like and pure junk yard dog with an offensive skill set. When I think of a rotation big that can fit with both Bam and Jovic then Holmes 100% looks to be at the top of that list.

Read on Twitter

Screams of a try hard tweener.

Too small the be a NBA C, not skilled enough to be a PF.

He's the type of player i'd love to add from the underrated pool, he might become a good energy big off the bench for 12 minutes a night.

That's not what a team lacing in overall talent should aim for with a rare pick just outside the lottery.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,275

Post#988 » by greg4012 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:21 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:The more video I watch the more more I love DaRon Holmes over Kel'el Ware. Holmes just has that attitude and dog in him while Ware seems to coast a lot with a very meh type of body language. Also looks very soft when it comes to screening and fighting down low. Holmes on the other hand looks like a pure junk yard dog with an offensive skill set. When I think of a rotation big that can fit with both Bam and Jovic then Holmes 100% looks to be at the top of that list.

Read on Twitter

The unique fit with our present and future core frontcourt players is what I think makes DaRon potentially more valuable to Miami than to the average team drafting (I think the Nuggets and Kings would love to have him). I believe DaRon is AT LEAST as mobile as a perimeter defender as Niko. And DaRon has innate ability as a rim protector. DaRon averaged the 2nd most STOCKS (3.0) of any college prospect in this draft (among the 70+ players listed on The Ringer's draft guide), behind only Ryan Dunn (3.6). Holmes has a top 5 block percentage among the college prospects in this draft:

Clingan - 11.4%
Dunn - 10.4%
Bona - 8.8%
Missi - 7.3%
Holmes - 7.2%
Edey - 6.9%
Ware - 6.5%
Post - 6%
Hall - 5.6%
Flip - 5.3%

After Dunn, Holmes and Bona have shown the best perimeter defense of this group IMO. Holmes was doing all of this (conference DPOY) while also being his team's primary source of offense and expanding to a new perimeter game with more creating (conference POTY).

A guy that can serve as the rim protector, hang on the perimeter (great balance & body control), hit the 3, screen & finish as a rim runner, play with either Bam or Jovic in the frontcourt, AND has shown some advanced ballhandling, passing and creation chops for a big sounds pretty damn good to me.

He doesn't have the length to make you salivate as your team's top center or the explosive athleticism to thrill anyone into thinking he's the next star PF. But damn he brings a lot to the table in an era where having a versatile and deep frontcourt rotation is paramount.

I'm confident that Holmes will be a grinder at the next level--which means always incrementally improving and mastering his given role. If you give him more info and inputs, he will make the most of it.

For anyone wanting to get a deeper look into Holmes' game, I recommend checking out this breakdown he did last offseason with Sam Vecenie. That was before he added the 3 pt shot to his profile. In particular, I'm impressed by the thought he puts into his game and his breakdown of how he defends starting at 22:19 (clips show promising perimeter defense, too).

You all already know he's one of my guys
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#989 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 3:29 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:The more video I watch the more more I love DaRon Holmes over Kel'el Ware. Holmes just has that attitude and dog in him while Ware seems to coast a lot with a very meh type of body language. Also looks very soft when it comes to screening and fighting down low. Holmes on the other hand looks like a pure junk yard dog with an offensive skill set. When I think of a rotation big that can fit with both Bam and Jovic then Holmes 100% looks to be at the top of that list.

Read on Twitter

The unique fit with our present and future core frontcourt players is what I think makes DaRon potentially more valuable to Miami than to the average team drafting (I think the Nuggets and Kings would love to have him). I believe DaRon is AT LEAST as mobile as a perimeter defender as Niko. And DaRon has innate ability as a rim protector. DaRon averaged the 2nd most STOCKS (3.0) of any college prospect in this draft (among the 70+ players listed on The Ringer's draft guide), behind only Ryan Dunn (3.6). Holmes has a top 5 block percentage among the college prospects in this draft:

Clingan - 11.4%
Dunn - 10.4%
Bona - 8.8%
Missi - 7.3%
Holmes - 7.2%
Edey - 6.9%
Ware - 6.5%
Post - 6%
Hall - 5.6%
Flip - 5.3%

After Dunn, Holmes and Bona have shown the best perimeter defense of this group IMO. Holmes was doing all of this (conference DPOY) while also being his team's primary source of offense and expanding to a new perimeter game with more creating.

A guy that can serve as the rim protector, hang on the perimeter (great balance & body control), hit the 3, screen & finish as a rim runner, play with either Bam or Jovic in the frontcourt, AND has shown some advanced ballhandling, passing and creation chops for a big sounds pretty damn good to me.

He doesn't have the length to make you salivate as your team's top center or the explosive athleticism to thrill anyone into thinking he's the next star PF. But damn he brings a lot to the table in an era where having a versatile and deep frontcourt rotation is paramount.

I'm confident that Holmes will be a grinder at the next level--which means always incrementally improving and mastering his given role. If you give him more info and inputs, he will make the most of it.

For anyone wanting to get a deeper look into Holmes' game, I recommend checking out this breakdown he did last offseason with Sam Vecenie. That was before he added the 3 pt shot to his profile. In particular, I'm impressed by the thought he puts into his game and his breakdown of how he defends starting at 22:19 (clips show promising perimeter defense, too).

You all already know he's one of my guys

All aboard CHOO CHOO
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#990 » by greg4012 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#991 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 3:59 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just a try hard tweener though :dontknow:
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#992 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 4:01 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/daron-holmes-lottery-2024-nba-draft

A guy like Jaime Jaquez Jr. could be a good model for drafting DaRon Holmes II. Obviously this comparison has nothing to do with play style, but the Miami Heat rookie is proof that sometimes, betting on experience works – Holmes II has experience, but without the baggage of age.

Jaquez Jr. for the Miami Heat was one of the best rookies in the NBA last year, and there is a world in which Holmes II is one of those breakout players in the 2024 class because of his versatility on both sides of the ball. If Holmes is given a good pick-and-roll ball handler as a partner, he could have Dereck Lively II-like numbers, as well as be able to step out and hit the occasional three-ball.

Holmes II is a guy that is being overlooked that could have an immediate impact. There is value in drafting Holmes II as high as mid-to-late lottery according to some scouts. Either way, some one will fall in love with the versatility.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 238

Post#993 » by lastb1ckman » Mon May 20, 2024 5:17 pm

The more I look at the weaknesses of this team and how successes the teams in the playoffs have had, the more I think its gonna be a guard and a true big man taken at 15 & 43. Bam needs help so we don't keep wearing him out and our guards need help with ball handling and perimeter D. And it needs to come at a cost controlled basis. That can be found easily at both picks.

Devin Carter, Jared McCain, Kyle Filipowski, Zach Edey, DaRon Holmes, Tyler Kolek at 15. (Collier or Bub Carrington if they want to stash it)
Adem Bona, Juan Nunez, KJ Simpson, Ajay Mitchell, Oso Ighodaro at 43.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#994 » by lastb1ckman » Mon May 20, 2024 5:32 pm

I'm feeling particularly high on Carter and Holmes especially. Carter slides in as a back up PG or next to Rozier and Herro easy. Holmes could probably back up Bam day one. And his game really look like he could be next to Bam in different match ups if they wanted to go super big.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#995 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Slam dunk second round pick at 43
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#996 » by greg4012 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Slam dunk second round pick at 43

Agreed--he's my preference of the likely 2nd round guards. I'm sure there are still plenty not on my radar, tho
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#997 » by greg4012 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter

I know sometimes it takes the younger guys more time to adjust, but this is interesting (plus the youngest guy from last draft is 1 of the 5!)
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#998 » by lastb1ckman » Mon May 20, 2024 7:02 pm

For a potential roster next season. (I don't expect any big trades this off season)

Rozier, Wright, Alondes?, 15 or 43?
Herro, Duncan, Richardson?
Jimmy, Jaquez
Jovic, Highsmith?
Bam, Love, Bryant?, Robinson, 15 or 43?

43 probably isn't playing much next season. Alondes Williams seems like the next G-leaguer up, but who knows if he'll get snatched up somewhere else or even plays. Caleb is likely gone. Richardson and Bryant will likely be back, but who knows since playing time will likely be tough to get. I'm optimistic that Highsmith won't be too expensive to come back, but who knows.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#999 » by lastb1ckman » Mon May 20, 2024 7:27 pm

How likely is it that Alondes WIlliams will find himself playing on the Heat next season if they end up drafting at least 1 guard this year?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#1000 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon May 20, 2024 7:47 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just a try hard tweener though :dontknow:

Am i missing something?

Is being listed on a random stat list next to Frank Kaminsky and Derrick Williams proof of something meaningful?

I like the kid, he plays hard. Yet he's in no way a NBA center, and he's not enough of a shooter, passer or creator to be a 4. He's a huger reach at #15

Return to Miami Heat