Giddey - Poeltl

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Giddey - Poeltl 

Post#1 » by arbsn » Sun May 19, 2024 6:19 am

Raps send out Poeltl
OKC send out Giddey and lowest of their 4 2025 FRP

Raps buy low on a young guard and clear more cap and help tank next year + get an extra pick

OKC gets a good defensive C who’s pass first style fits OKC perfect and can come off the bench or start next to Chet
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,217

Re: Giddey - Poeltl 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 19, 2024 6:37 am

Giddy for Peoltl is already tilted in Raptors favour, OKC doesn't owe a pick, if Jakob is OKC's choice for backup center, then sure, makes sense.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,505

Post#3 » by Chinook » Sun May 19, 2024 6:45 am

Honeslty, Poeltl is more impactful than Giddy. Poeltl has weaknesses, but he's an honest fit for his position. I really don't think Giddy has a ton of value.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#4 » by ejftw » Sun May 19, 2024 6:50 am

Value aside, I don't like Giddey's fit with Barnes
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,340

Post#5 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am

Mavrelous wrote:Giddy for Peoltl is already tilted in Raptors favour, OKC doesn't owe a pick, if they is OKC's choice for backup center, then sure, makes sense.

Yup. Suns would do a straight swap of Giddey for Nurk. He can offer more rebounds (the biggest weakness OKC has) and at a far cheaper rate. OKC can keep their pick.

Or keep Giddey and give PHX the picks. Thunder can choose which one. Point is, this deal for OKC can be easily topped.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#6 » by cjmcallist » Sun May 19, 2024 11:36 am

IMO picks would need to be coming to OKC, not away from OKC. But, if this is Giddey's value, I'd rather keep him.

Peoltl is fine but doesn't really move the needle.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 am

ejftw wrote:Value aside, I don't like Giddey's fit with Barnes

Im not sure i like giddeys fit with anyone.. maybe wemby?
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#8 » by islandboy53 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:03 pm

OKC can keep Giddey, and their pick. Hartenstein is available for cap space, which OKC has plenty of. Poeltl is useful in Toronto, which has no plan to tank next year.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,503

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 1:03 pm

islandboy53 wrote:OKC can keep Giddey, and their pick. Hartenstein is available for cap space, which OKC has plenty of. Poeltl is useful in Toronto, which has no plan to tank next year.

Yeah the issue is OKC has other options for a guy who would be a backup for them. Whether its a free agent or a trade that doesn't cost them any kind of real asset.

Not sure I agree Toronto is going to try and be super competitive next year. Or maybe I just can't really see how they can be. Do you expect them to go out and make a major addition?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 19, 2024 1:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:OKC can keep Giddey, and their pick. Hartenstein is available for cap space, which OKC has plenty of. Poeltl is useful in Toronto, which has no plan to tank next year.

Yeah the issue is OKC has other options for a guy who would be a backup for them. Whether its a free agent or a trade that doesn't cost them any kind of real asset.

Not sure I agree Toronto is going to try and be super competitive next year. Or maybe I just can't really see how they can be. Do you expect them to go out and make a major addition?

They had a decent net rating when poeltl/barnes/barret/iq were healthy and playing together. Their lack of bench will probably doom then to 9-12th seed though.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,663

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:24 pm

Not the right target for OKC
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#12 » by ejftw » Sun May 19, 2024 4:06 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
ejftw wrote:Value aside, I don't like Giddey's fit with Barnes

Im not sure i like giddeys fit with anyone.. maybe wemby?

Would've taken him with 2-13 over Harden at a similar cost during last summer tbh. If Orlando didn't have Suggs, with Franz and Paolo or if Cleveland does split Allen/Mobley + deals Garland, would be a good fit with Mitchell in the backcourt.

But yeah, he's a tough player to fit.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#13 » by islandboy53 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

There is a middle road between tanking and making major additions to be seriously competitive. The main goal, I believe, will be to continue to develop the existing rotation, while adding talent and draft assets, and winning as many games as possible. Whether that gets them in the play in or the lottery, or both, is not particularly relevant.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#14 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 5:02 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Not the right target for OKC

I think he'd solve some issues, but not ideal, imo, especially with 3 more seasons at $19.5.

Why would TOR pursue Giddey...what would his role be? IQ is a pretty legit PG and shooting might be a bigger issue among their core players. I'm not seeing how Giddey fits.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,088

Post#15 » by mg » Sun May 19, 2024 5:07 pm

OKC used a high pick on him but I don't get the Giddey appeal at all. Maybe he looks better on another team but his value can't be very high right now.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,503

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 5:21 pm

mg wrote:OKC used a high pick on him but I don't get the Giddey appeal at all. Maybe he looks better on another team but his value can't be very high right now.

He wasn't assigned super high value in this OP though right?

The issue with Giddey is he had a good season and a good first round but Dallas has been his kryponite this year. A terrible matchup for him. And that's the taste left in our mouths.

I think for a contending team, the Dallas series definitely gives you pause. A team in asset collection mode like Toronto shouldn't be nearly as concerned.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#17 » by AaronB » Sun May 19, 2024 5:21 pm

Skybox wrote:

I think he'd solve some issues, but not ideal, imo, especially with 3 more seasons at $19.5.

Why would TOR pursue Giddey...what would his role be? IQ is a pretty legit PG and shooting might be a bigger issue among their core players. I'm not seeing how Giddey fits.

It is just a guess, but I think the Spurs will offer IQ the MAX within an hour of the tampering window opening.

He is a perfect fit next to VW.

What will Toronto do then?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#18 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 5:28 pm

AaronB wrote:
Skybox wrote:

It is just a guess, but I think the Spurs will offer IQ the MAX within an hour of the tampering window opening.

I don't see that at all...IQ would be a better fit in ORL, he's not a really "pure" PG or a BIG scorer - which is fine for ORL. If I'm SAS, and I'm as patient as POP clearly is...I'm probably looking at Tyus Jones for a lot less than a max. He's a virtually mistake-free setup man for Wemby and Vassell, while they continue to build methodically. Especially if SAS drafts a bigger, higher-ceiling PGOTF in June - like Topic or Castle.

IQ is really good, but anybody throwing a max at him will, imo, wonder what the heck they were thinking in a year. Very good players become punch lines, sadly, when GM's overpay them...Tobias Harris, young Andrew Wiggins, Lavine, etc are all really good players that are "untouchables".
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Post#19 » by wegotthabeet » Sun May 19, 2024 5:28 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mg wrote:OKC used a high pick on him but I don't get the Giddey appeal at all. Maybe he looks better on another team but his value can't be very high right now.

He wasn't assigned super high value in this OP though right?

The issue with Giddey is he had a good season and a good first round but Dallas has been his kryponite this year. A terrible matchup for him. And that's the taste left in our mouths.

I think for a contending team, the Dallas series definitely gives you pause. A team in asset collection mode like Toronto shouldn't be nearly as concerned.

Aside from the off court stuff the issue with Giddey is that he can’t shoot, can’t defend, needs the ball to be somewhat effective and is looking for a raise in the next 12 months.

They held on too long. Should’ve sold higher. The Dallas series just showed us all what we already knew.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#20 » by AaronB » Sun May 19, 2024 5:32 pm

Skybox wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I don't see that at all...IQ would be a better fit in ORL, he's not a really "pure" PG or a BIG scorer - which is fine for ORL. If I'm SAS, and I'm as patient as POP clearly is...I'm probably looking at Tyus Jones for a lot less than a max. He's a virtually mistake-free setup man for Wemby and Vassell, while they continue to build methodically. Especially if SAS drafts a bigger, higher-ceiling PGOTF in June - like Topic or Castle.

IQ is really good, but anybody throwing a max at him will, imo, wonder what the heck they were thinking in a year. Very good players become punch lines, sadly, when GM's overpay them...Tobias Harris, young Andrew Wiggins, Lavine, etc are all really good players that are "untouchables".

I don't really disagree with your assessment of the skills.

I still think that they off the MAX within hours of the tampering period.

If Toronto matches, then they move on to plan B.

Return to Trades and Transactions