CLE-NOP-POR-ORL-OKC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 938

CLE-NOP-POR-ORL-OKC 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 3:47 pm

Cavs send: Darius Garland, Jarrett Allen
Cavs get: Brandon Ingram, Lu Dort

Pelicans send: CJ McCollum, Brandon Ingram
Pelicans get: DeAndre Ayton, Darius Garland

Blazers send: DeAndre Ayton
Blazers get: Wendell Carter Jr, $22m TPE

Magic send: Wendell Carter Jr, $22m in cap space
Magic get: CJ McCollum

Thunder send: Lu Dort
Thunder get: Jarrett Allen

Why for Cavs: Trade your excess guard and center for two wings, one of whom can score, the other can defend.

Why for Pels: DominAyton can stretch the floor a bit while rebounding and defending so that's a good fit with Zion, Garland is a potentially better fit with Zion than Ingram.

Why for Blazers: Save a lot of money while getting a potentially more tradeable asset at the deadline.

Why for the Magic: Get a vet guard who can dribble and shoot

Why for Thunder: Get size and an interior scoring threat
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,501

Re: CLE-NOP-POR-ORL-OKC 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 pm

These values are just all over the place. And I can't see how you reconcile them. Other than that its just way too big with too many ideas. 5 teams with players this expensive are just never going to agree. Especially since you managed to convince yourself all these player combos are worth exactly the same--not a pick needed anywhere. Seems so unlikely.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,311

Post#3 » by NotACat » Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 pm

I can't imagine Orlando sending assets to destroy their cap space
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 938

Post#4 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Obviously this trade isn't going to happen: Basically no trade ever proposed on this board has ever happened.

I just like all the fits.

Besides, it's very possible that these trades happen over multiple stages such as the Lillard trade last year happening first and then quickly leading to a Jrue to the Celtics trade.

You don't need every trade to happen all at once, but when you propose a realistic trade, you get a bunch of annoying fans who are like "well now we don't have a backup SF, how will we ever fill that hole!" with another trade...
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 386

Post#5 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 16, 2024 3:58 pm

Pels cut out the Blazers and take WCJ and the TPE for themselves.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,725

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:59 pm

I don't have Garland for Ingram straight up as good value, especially considering Ingram's reported contract expectations. There may be an Allen to OKC deal, but Dort wouldn't be the guy the Cavs would accept back. If the Magic feel like donating WCJ and cap space because reasons (they won't) the Cavs or Pelicans will insist on taking him.

There's no scenario where the Blazers turn Ayton to a useful player on a team-friendly deal. They'll just get cut out.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,501

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 4:02 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Obviously this trade isn't going to happen: Basically no trade ever proposed on this board has ever happened.

You don't need every trade to happen all at once, but when you propose a realistic trade, you get a bunch of annoying fans who are like "well now we don't have a backup SF, how will we ever fill that hole!" with another trade...

We actually have had a number of posters call specific trades and a bunch more call essentially actual trades fwiw.

And I agree with that last statement. I tell posters all the time, you are allowed to make follow up trades and every trade doesn't have to solve every need.

But you have a ton of big money players moving around, with 5 teams and you expect none of those teams to value their player more than what they get. You have Ayton making 3x Carter getting swapped for him straight up for instance.

I'm sorry if its annoying to point out how unlikely this trade is, but its super unlikely. What main idea were you trying to solve? I'd love to help you from there.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,658

Post#8 » by JRoy » Thu May 16, 2024 4:17 pm

Works for me.

Draft Edey and call it a day.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,635

Post#9 » by Mrakar » Thu May 16, 2024 6:56 pm

Marc Davis crew chief tonight. He refed game 2. Expect a bloodbath tonight. If Minny doesnt crumble under preassure this is the best news they could have got.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,944

Post#10 » by ChettheJet » Thu May 16, 2024 7:01 pm

I see trades like this and wish I was the RealGM realtor.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,992

Post#11 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu May 16, 2024 7:18 pm

Granted, we don't know for sure the Cavs' intentions with Allen or Garland, but this is a pretty pitiful return IMO.

I wouldn't mind the Blazers pulling off something like this, where they get a player of equal utility (damn the counting stats, Ayton just isn't a broadly effective player at either end) at a fraction of the cost, but the premise that somebody is willing to be the partner in such a swap is iffy at best.

The savings may not mean a great deal to Portland in the grand scheme of things since, to be sure, over there in Free Agent Hell they'll just spend on equally questionable contracts to hit the salary floor. It's reasonable to guess that investing in Ayton for the extra cost (in real dollars, cap/tax flexibility, trade asset management, etc.) would, however, be a very big deal to anybody even entertaining the thought of bringing him in. Here, the OP has actually kinda cleverly found a home for Ayton by offloading huge dollars from the Pelicans and especially by landing them a far better prize for their Ayton-carrying trouble. Even so, if the Pelicans could pull off the Garland heist here, why would they not take an even better deal by cutting Portland out entirely, as Euphonetiks pointed out?

Ayton's salary, low impact, and complicated Phoenix tenure make him the least likely of the high-priced Blazers veterans to move, IMO. Which means they'll probably trade him on draft night. :dontknow:
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Trades and Transactions