The 3rd Team: Who Wants Fred VanVleet?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

The 3rd Team: Who Wants Fred VanVleet? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 1:15 am

If Houston had a blockbuster trade where they needed VanVleet as matching salary, but the other team preferred to flip him... which teams would have interest in FVV? What is his value?
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Re: The 3rd Team: Who Wants Fred VanVleet? 

Post#2 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:23 am

Houston has a number of expiring contracts for filler.

FVV has been much better than I ever expected. Unless he is bringing in great value, I would find a way to keep him.
NYG
RealGM

Post#3 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 1:25 am

LarsV8 wrote:Houston has a number of expiring contracts for filler.

FVV has been much better than I ever expected. Unless he is bringing in great value, I would find a way to keep him.

What if it were Trae Young... could FVV and Trae work together?
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#4 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:32 am

NYG wrote:

I don't see why not.

We have a bunch of versatile wing defenders in Brooks, Eason, Thompson, and even Jabari, I think they can make it work defensively. Offensively, both are good spot up shooters, and you can stagger them. If not, well FVV expires after one more year.

I do think for either Mitchell or Trae, Green likely has to go, or come off the bench.

Any of these deals where Houston is buying, I am trying my hardest to send out as few contributors as possible, and make it more of a pick package.
NYG
RealGM

Post#5 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

LarsV8 wrote:
NYG wrote:

I don't see why not.

We have a bunch of versatile wing defenders in Brooks, Eason, Thompson, and even Jabari, I think they can make it work defensively. Offensively, both are good spot up shooters, and you can stagger them. If not, well FVV expires after one more year.

I do think for either Mitchell or Trae, Green likely has to go, or come off the bench.

Any of these deals where Houston is buying, I am trying my hardest to send out as few contributors as possible, and make it more of a pick package.

What would you add to...

Jalen Green
Jeff Green
Jock Landale
Jae'Sean Tate
3rd Overall

for

Trae Young

??
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#6 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 am

NYG wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:
NYG wrote:

I don't see why not.

What would you add to...

Jalen Green
Jeff Green
Jock Landale
Jae'Sean Tate
3rd Overall

for

Trae Young

??

The next crop of assets I would send out would be the Nets #27 pick, and then I would look to Houston picks further out.
NYG
RealGM

Post#7 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 1:40 am

LarsV8 wrote:
NYG wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:
I don't see why not.

What would you add to...

Jalen Green
Jeff Green
Jock Landale
Jae'Sean Tate
3rd Overall

for

Trae Young

??

The next crop of assets I would send out would be the Nets #27 pick, and then I would look to Houston picks further out.

Let's say it landed on...

Jalen Green
Jeff Green
Jock Landale
Jae'Sean Tate
3rd Overall
2026 Unprotected Brooklyn Nets First Round Draft Pick
2028 Top 10 Protected Houston Rockets First Round Draft Pick (2029 - Top 4 Protected / 2030 - Unprotected)

for

Trae

Is Houston taking essentially an on court upgrade from Jalen Green to Trae Young for those picks?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Post#8 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 16, 2024 2:01 am

At 40 mill and a league filled with good starting PGs, I dont think there will be many bidders TBH. I wouldnt mind if the Magic traded for him, but probably nothing more than a heavily protected 1st/2024 pick #18.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,087

Post#9 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 2:06 am

Would take him on Nets if they can’t get Mitchell. I forget where we are on trade exceptions but schroder and dfs should be easily movable to 4th/5th teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,725

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:08 am

Residual-Heat wrote:At 40 mill and a league filled with good starting PGs, I dont think there will be many bidders TBH. I wouldnt mind if the Magic traded for him, but probably nothing more than a heavily protected 1st/2024 pick #18.

The NBA is not filled with good starting PGs. I don't think FVV is a good starting PG either though so YMMV.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#11 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 am

NYG wrote:2026 Unprotected Brooklyn Nets First Round Draft Pick
2028 Top 10 Protected Houston Rockets First Round Draft Pick (2029 - Top 4 Protected / 2030 - Unprotected)

for

Trae

Is Houston taking essentially an on court upgrade from Jalen Green to Trae Young for those picks?

I personally view the 25 and 26 Nets picks as absolute gold because they are both excellent drafts, and its very possible they are absolutely terrible in those years.

The 26 pick is hard to give up unprotected, which is I why I started with 27, as it is an unknown draft and I think the Nets will have had adequate time to escape the basement.

But yes, essentially just replacing Green, who is still riding on potential, and doesn't contribute a ton to winning at the moment. I think with organic growth, and adding an all star, Houston could jump to 55+ wins next year.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,968

Post#12 » by K_chile22 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:18 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:At 40 mill and a league filled with good starting PGs, I dont think there will be many bidders TBH. I wouldnt mind if the Magic traded for him, but probably nothing more than a heavily protected 1st/2024 pick #18.

The NBA is not filled with good starting PGs. I don't think FVV is a good starting PG either though so YMMV.
That's crazy. Impact stats darling and one of the bigger reasons a team went from bottom dweller to .500. He absolutely is a very very good starting pg
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 16, 2024 2:21 am

jbk1234 wrote:

I guess it depends on how you define "good". He's a capable starter on a winning team. I think the PG position is clearly the most talented position in the league.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,725

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:22 am

K_chile22 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

That's crazy. Impact stats darling and one of the bigger reasons a team went from bottom dweller to .500. He absolutely is a very very good starting pg

I have him as an undersized SG who is a floor raiser. I don't think most fans recognize a *good* PG.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Residual-Heat » Thu May 16, 2024 2:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I have him as an undersized SG who is a floor raiser. I don't think most fans recognize a *good* PG.

He's 7th in the league in APG, and like 3rd best in AT:TO ratio among starting PGs.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,968

Post#16 » by K_chile22 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:02 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:That's crazy. Impact stats darling and one of the bigger reasons a team went from bottom dweller to .500. He absolutely is a very very good starting pg

He's 7th in the league in APG, and like 3rd best in AT:TO ratio among starting PGs.
And 84th percentile in assist:usage ratio, Garland is 49th for reference and was 46th last year
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,992

Post#17 » by Nyce_1 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:29 am

Orlando may be interested with some cap space to absorb part or all of his salary.

What do we need to add?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,501

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 4:36 am

Garland can't be traded for Lebron James and FVV isn't a good PG are some takes. Made funnier by saying I don't think most fans recognize a good pg. Exhibit A lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 181

Post#19 » by Astaluego » Thu May 16, 2024 10:47 am

NYG wrote:

too small...I can't imagine a coach who loves good defense like Udoka, interpreting a backcourt so easy to exploit...although don't listen to me, because I don't watch Houston's games
Old Mike Lorenzo
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,724

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 11:04 am

In that thread, think LAL makes the best offer and it’s just 17th and matching salary not including Reaves.

It’s weird for Houston to give Brooklyn a guy that could help them win a handful more games.

Utah could use FVV if Ainge wants to hoard picks but also wants to not tank?

Maybe something around CJM+minor asset for FVV? Comparable actual talent, but FVV more of what NOP needs if you’re keeping Ingram/Zion.. and he’s 2.5 years younger, while being 7 million more expensive next year but you clear the 2025 salary.. Atlanta probably doesn’t want CJM, but he is a lot cheaper than Trae and does help on the court some for two years of the pick debt..

Atlanta could just keep FVV as their two year point guard since they don’t own their picks. He should be happy since it’s one of the few teams that will pay him 44 million in 2025. Maybe the two Jalen’s develop quickly, maybe Sarr and Topic do..but your young core is locked up and FVV and Capela (and/or Bogdan?) can be the adults in room…

Return to Trades and Transactions