Sac - Toronto - Jazz Attempt #2

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,639

Sac - Toronto - Jazz Attempt #2 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Kings out: Barnes, Huerter, Duarte, Sasha, 2025 Kings 2nd
Kings in: Collins, Bruce Brown

Toronto out: Bruce Brown
Toronto in: Huerter, Sasha, #32, 2025 Kings 2nd

Jazz out: Collins, 32
Jazz in: Barnes, Duarte

Why for Kings? I don't want to trade #13 for a non needle mover, so let's make a non needle moving deal while keeping our 1st. This adds two athletic players who can fit into a more fast paced offense. Our starting lineup defense should be really good with Keon/Brown replacing Huerter/Barnes.
Fox - Keon - Brown - Keegan - Sabonis
Mitchell - Monk* - #13 - Lyles - Collins

Why for Toronto? Add some shooting to the core, pick up 2 2nds in the process.

Why for Utah? Dump Collins into Barnes using the #32. Dart throw on Duarte, hes expiring salary filler.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Re: Sac - Toronto - Jazz Attempt #2 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:44 pm

I think this makes more sense. Toronto gets some assets for Brown - they might want to keep him but if they don't this seems right - Utah swaps Collins for a better player who can play a bit at a position of need (and who I think is flippable). Sacramento gets a better fit with Collins and adds a nice wing. I'd see if we could swap around Duarte and Sasha because I'm kind of intrigued by Vezenkov, but I don't think that really matters.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,724

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm

I like this for everyone. Think it’s a nice balance of justifying paying Brown instead of letting him hit free agency.

I’d just keep Barnes if I were Sac, but I’ve always been higher on him and lower on Collins than the consensus. You can offer Toronto 2-3 seconds instead of “32” and just do that part without taking on Collins money..
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,611

Post#4 » by oldncreaky » Wed May 15, 2024 7:57 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I like this for everyone. Think it’s a nice balance of justifying paying Brown instead of letting him hit free agency.

I’d just keep Barnes if I were Sac, but I’ve always been higher on him and lower on Collins than the consensus. You can offer Toronto 2-3 seconds instead of “32” and just do that part without taking on Collins money..

I think getting 2-3 SRPs in future drafts would be better for TOR than "#32" given Toronto's current roster and picks 19 and 31

OP seems reasonable and fair for Toronto. I'd argue that TOR is better off declining Brown's TO, and using the roughly $30M in cap space, but I expect Masai will disagree with me and pick up Brown's option.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,498

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 15, 2024 8:27 pm

I don't like the loss of shooting for the Kings and paying for it. But if one believes Collins is some untapped talent somehow still I guess I get it.

Other teams should do this and quickly though Utah should route Harry Barnes along to his next stop.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think this makes more sense. Toronto gets some assets for Brown - they might want to keep him but if they don't this seems right - Utah swaps Collins for a better player who can play a bit at a position of need (and who I think is flippable). Sacramento gets a better fit with Collins and adds a nice wing. I'd see if we could swap around Duarte and Sasha because I'm kind of intrigued by Vezenkov, but I don't think that really matters.

I actually had the two swapped first. Thought that Toronto would prefer the expiring, but with Barnes, Hendricks, Lauri I thought Utah wouldn't want to add a non defensive shooter there.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't like the loss of shooting for the Kings and paying for it. But if one believes Collins is some untapped talent somehow still I guess I get it.

Other teams should do this and quickly though Utah should route Harry Barnes along to his next stop.

jayjaysee wrote:I like this for everyone. Think it’s a nice balance of justifying paying Brown instead of letting him hit free agency.

Barnes is probably better than Collins, but his fit isn't. Kings are already one of the smallest teams in the league, and teams consistently abused us at the forward spot. Pelicans matchup was clear as day with us going 0-6 against them. I'm curious if offensively Sabonis/Collins can run a homeless version of what Jokic/Gordon do. Barnes isn't athletic enough to pull that off. Also our rebounding is criminally bad when Sabonis gets switched onto the perimeter, Collins should help with that.

Overall Collins isn't ideal, but running it back isn't either. And our limited assets + owed pick makes upgrading really challenging.
SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 1,855

Post#8 » by SkyHook » Wed May 15, 2024 9:24 pm

I like it all the way around. Nice.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless.
But I still cling to hope and I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me.

— Faithless by Rush (lyrics. Neil Peart)
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,802

Post#9 » by MessiahUjiri » Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 am

babyjax13 wrote:I think this makes more sense. Toronto gets some assets for Brown - they might want to keep him but if they don't this seems right - Utah swaps Collins for a better player who can play a bit at a position of need (and who I think is flippable). Sacramento gets a better fit with Collins and adds a nice wing. I'd see if we could swap around Duarte and Sasha because I'm kind of intrigued by Vezenkov, but I don't think that really matters.

I really like it too.

Also, if Utah wants Sasha, they can easily get Sasha and Huerter instead of Barnes. Barnes would be a pretty easy fit from Toronto.

It works all around.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,192

Post#10 » by OxAndFox » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 am

I like it. My bias towards Sasha and what he could become wants him to stay and put Davion in there instead.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 16, 2024 12:36 am

OxAndFox wrote:I like it. My bias towards Sasha and what he could become wants him to stay and put Davion in there instead.

Either works for me
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 3:04 pm

OxAndFox wrote:I like it. My bias towards Sasha and what he could become wants him to stay and put Davion in there instead.

I like Sasha as well, I'm just tainted from watching OKC/Minnesota play. I want nothing but athletes, and right now the Kings are stuck with a bunch of undersized non athletes. Clear them out and get back to the fast paced team we were lol.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,498

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 7:11 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:

I like Sasha as well, I'm just tainted from watching OKC/Minnesota play. I want nothing but athletes, and right now the Kings are stuck with a bunch of undersized non athletes. Clear them out and get back to the fast paced team we were lol.

Dallas as a franchise chose skill/shooting over size/athleticism for most of its history. I still can't get used to a team with big athletes all over the court.

It's super fun, but also I miss having consistent shooters.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#14 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 7:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Dallas as a franchise chose skill/shooting over size/athleticism for most of its history. I still can't get used to a team with big athletes all over the court.

Yea well the results so far in Dallas are great. PJ was my favorite pick up at the break (IIRC you didn't like it but he needed a change).

But look at Sac.

Huerter - Streaky/Soft - not athletic
Barnes - Undersized PF - not athletic
Sabonis - Undersized Center - not athletic
Davion - 5'11 on a good day
Sasha - Not an athlete
Lyles - Good size, but not all that athletic.

It's not uncommon for us to be overmatched at literally all 5 positions on any given night.

I think if you are going with Sabonis being your center, you have to compensate elsewhere. You cannot win in the NBA with so many non defenders getting on the floor. 1 sure, 2 maybe, but somethings gotta change in Sac.

And post trade, Keon/Keegan/Monk/Lyles can still shoot. Fox was up to 37% on high volume this year. Collins had a bounce back year shooting and Bruce was capable (not great) when he played in Denver. I still think you still have shooters, but way more balance.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,963

Post#15 » by Jadoogar » Thu May 16, 2024 8:56 pm

From Toronto, easy yes
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,192

Post#16 » by OxAndFox » Fri May 17, 2024 3:43 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Yea well the results so far in Dallas are great. PJ was my favorite pick up at the break (IIRC you didn't like it but he needed a change).

But look at Sac.

Huerter - Streaky/Soft - not athletic
Barnes - Undersized PF - not athletic
Sabonis - Undersized Center - not athletic
Davion - 5'11 on a good day
Sasha - Not an athlete
Lyles - Good size, but not all that athletic.

It's not uncommon for us to be overmatched at literally all 5 positions on any given night.

I think if you are going with Sabonis being your center, you have to compensate elsewhere. You cannot win in the NBA with so many non defenders getting on the floor. 1 sure, 2 maybe, but somethings gotta change in Sac.

And post trade, Keon/Keegan/Monk/Lyles can still shoot. Fox was up to 37% on high volume this year. Collins had a bounce back year shooting and Bruce was capable (not great) when he played in Denver. I still think you still have shooters, but way more balance.

That is all fair and can't disagree at all. I'm with you on the athleticism part especially.

Return to Trades and Transactions