Orlando - Portland - NOP - Detroit

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,588

Orlando - Portland - NOP - Detroit 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 6:17 pm

Orlando trade: WCJ, 18
Orlando receive: Simons

Portland trade: Simons, 14, 34
Portland receive: 5

NOP trade: Ingram
NOP receive: WCJ, 14, 34

Detroit trade: 5
Detroit receive: Ingram, 18

Why for Orlando: get a scoring guard to complement Wagner/Banchero/Suggs
Why for Portland: consolidate assets for another top pick, duck the tax
Why for NOP: get a starting C and a (late) lotto pick for Ingram. Free up $ to bring back Marshall and/or extend murphy
Why for Detroit: add win now help at the wing
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 483

Re: Orlando - Portland - NOP - Detroit 

Post#2 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:40 pm

I don’t see this deal as a whole. If Detroit wants Ingram, I could see NOP wanting 5 or Duren if they are looking for a young center. I’m sure the Pistons could work a deal directly. I still feel the Pistons would only move their pick for a starting 4.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 6:42 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:I don’t see this deal as a whole. If Detroit wants Ingram, I could see NOP wanting 5 or Duren if they are looking for a young center. I’m sure the Pistons could work a deal directly. I still feel the Pistons would only move their pick for a starting 4.

NOP wants a stretch 5 who is ready to start next to Zion, neither Duren or pick 5 accomplishes that
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,503

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 6:43 pm

I don't have 14,18, 34 and WCJ as salary as getting you to 5 which is the value here.

Don't mind this for Orlando.
Hate it for Detroit
Love it for Portland
Meh for NOP. I get this deal for them, but obviously if just the Detroit portion was available I'm cutting the rest of this out. I could easily replace the value of 18 internally. Now I have 5 and a huge TPE and plenty of assets to use to get a center while still having pick 5.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,659

Post#5 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm

This gets Simons off my team and upgrades the lotto pick.

Hell yes No takebacks.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't have 14,18, 24 and WCJ as salary as getting you to 5 which is the value here.

Hate it for Detroit
Love it for Portland
Meh for NOP. I get this deal for them, but obviously if just the Detroit portion was available I'm cutting the rest of this out. I could easily replace the value of 18 internally. Now I have 5 and a huge TPE and plenty of assets to use to get a center while still having pick 5.

few reasons i had that as enough value for 5:

1) this draft is more flat than others supposedly
2) my comp was (De'Andre Hunter) Atlanta - NOP trade which netted atlanta #4 + 35 for 8 +17. In this case i have WCJ + 14 + 34 = pick 9ish. That draft also had a big fall off/flattening after the top 3 picks so i thought it was an appropriate comp
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 872

Post#7 » by tester551 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't have 14,18, 24 and WCJ as salary as getting you to 5 which is the value here.

Hate it for Detroit
Love it for Portland

I don't like it for Portland... but I also don't like the prospects in this draft. So that's tainting my perspective.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,642

Post#8 » by Myth » Tue May 14, 2024 6:48 pm

Yeah, I do this for Portland.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 386

Post#9 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 6:48 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:I don’t see this deal as a whole. If Detroit wants Ingram, I could see NOP wanting 5 or Duren if they are looking for a young center. I’m sure the Pistons could work a deal directly. I still feel the Pistons would only move their pick for a starting 4.

NOP wants a stretch 5 who is ready to start next to Zion, neither Duren or pick 5 accomplishes that

I think we would do Stewart + 5 for Ingram way before we do WCJ/14/34. I also think we would just do 5 for Ingram before the WCJ trade.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I think we would do Stewart + 5 for Ingram way before we do WCJ/14/34. I also think we would just do 5 for Ingram before the WCJ trade.

I dont think Ingram is worth 5 on his own
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,978

Post#11 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm

I like the trade but kind of dicey with Orlando not have a starting center in house afterwards. If they feel confident signing Ihart or Claxton or finding another trade in a center, then I like it. Could Simons breakout further on a good team that can cover for his weakness? At this price I would take the gamble over signing a guy like Monk.

I hate Det taking this shortcut, but could see it...not as bad as the Griffin or Smith moves.

NO ...I think they need to mix it up and WCJ is at least in theory a fit next to Zion. Maxing Ingram just feels like an untenable route to anything good so I like them moving on.

Portland: Simons is likely a 6th man guy in the long run but still has more value than that right now. So getting off him now for this value is win in my book. Reset the contract and take a swing even in this weaker draft.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 386

Post#12 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 6:53 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I disagree, but if these are the two scenarios, then I think we would do Ingram + 21 for 5 before we do Ingram for WCJ+14+34.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,161

Post#13 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 14, 2024 6:55 pm

I have WCJ and 18 as more valuable than Simons. I also dont really want Simons and Cole on the same team. Best I would do for Simons is Cole, #18, and the 2025 pick (worst of Magic/Nuggets), and I think thats more than fair value for Simons.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#14 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 6:55 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

I disagree, but if these are the two scenarios, then I think we would do Ingram + 21 for 5 before we do Ingram for WCJ+14+34.

i respect that opinion/route for NOP. I think they would prefer win-now help over a higher lottery pick in a pretty weak draft but either is better than bringing ingram back at the end of the day
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,726

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 pm

I liked it a lot more before people pointed out cutting the other teams out. I take 5th and the 30 million dollar TPE here. Can trade Nance and a 2025 first for WCJ. Or can dump Nance and overpay Claxton or Hartenstein with the newly created cap space here.

But I also think NOP wants to get better now and needs to add talent. 5th being out there means NOP’s quantity offer becomes a quality offer really quickly. Despite the talk of how terrible the draft is. Clingan or Topic should be there at 5, mix that with a few future picks and salary flexibility.. you could do Murray for 2 future firsts and keep 5…
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#16 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 7:02 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I liked it a lot more before people pointed out cutting the other teams out. I take 5th and the 30 million dollar TPE here. Can trade Nance and a 2025 first for WCJ. Or can dump Nance and overpay Claxton or Hartenstein with the newly created cap space here.

But I also think NOP wants to get better now and needs to add talent. 5th being out there means NOP’s quantity offer becomes a quality offer really quickly. Despite the talk of how terrible the draft is. Clingan or Topic should be there at 5, mix that with a few future picks and salary flexibility.. you could do Murray for 2 future firsts and keep 5…

yea maybe a better variation is

Orlando out: WCJ, 2025 DEN 1st
Orlando in: Simons

Portland out: Simons
Portland in: Nance, 2025 DEN 1st, 2025 (one of) NOP/LAL protected 1st

Detroit out: 5
Detroit in: Ingram, 21, 2nds/other minor value

NOP out: Ingram, Lance, 21, 2025 (one of) NOP/LAL protected 1st
NOP in: WCJ, 5
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,503

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

i respect that opinion/route for NOP. I think they would prefer win-now help over a higher lottery pick in a pretty weak draft but either is better than bringing ingram back at the end of the day

This doesn't preclude win now help. Look at all that money that just opened up. And they have plenty of assets to trade for a player into that huge TPE. Just also aren't overpaying for WCJ as part of it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,659

Post#18 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I liked it a lot more before people pointed out cutting the other teams out. I take 5th and the 30 million dollar TPE here. Can trade Nance and a 2025 first for WCJ. Or can dump Nance and overpay Claxton or Hartenstein with the newly created cap space here.

Portland in: Lance, 2025 DEN 1st, 2025 (one of) NOP/LAL protected 1st

Who is Lance?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#19 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 14, 2024 7:12 pm

JRoy wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Portland in: Lance, 2025 DEN 1st, 2025 (one of) NOP/LAL protected 1st

Who is Lance?

sry meant nance, just expiring filler
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#20 » by AaronB » Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm

Simons is a good offensive player, but man that defense is just intolerable.

How bad is his defense one may ask?

If one were to filter defensive EPM for players who play more than 30 minutes per game (starters basically) and played more than 40 games (enough sample size), then we see a list of the following numbers as the worst defenders:

-1.3, -1.4, -1,4, -1,4, -1,4, -1.5, -1.7, -1.8, -2.1, -2.2

Then comes Simons at -3.5 almost as an outlier.

If the NBA ever awards the worst defensive player in the NBA at the end of the season, they should call it the "Simons Award".

I think the Magic would rather keep WCJ and just sign someone than take on Simons; contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions