Facilitating Lebron to Cavs

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Facilitating Lebron to Cavs 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 14, 2024 2:33 pm

If Lebron tells Lakers I'm going to Cleveland no matter what, then they can either do a sign and trade or get nothing

Salary+#20? Or Cavs giving up Allen?
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Re: Facilitating Lebron to Cavs 

Post#2 » by DowJones » Tue May 14, 2024 2:46 pm

Allen/LeVert/Niang for LeBron is really the only deal that makes sense. The Lakers get something for LeBron and LeBron goes to a stacked Cleveland team.

Mitchell
Garland
LeBron
Wade
Mobley

Cavs might look to move Garland for a better fitting piece, but that team might be the favorite in the East next year. With that being said, LeBron wants to live in LA and finish out his career with the Lakers.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#3 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 2:53 pm

DowJones wrote:Allen/LeVert/Niang for LeBron is really the only deal that makes sense. The Lakers get something for LeBron and LeBron goes to a stacked Cleveland team.

Mitchell
Garland
LeBron
Wade
Mobley

Cavs might look to move Garland for a better fitting piece, but that team might be the favorite in the East next year. With that being said, LeBron wants to live in LA and finish out his career with the Lakers.

If LeBron threatens to leave for nothing, LeVert instead of Allen makes plenty of sense. Although Cleveland probably adds a pick (either 2024 or 2031 1st) to make that happen.

Or Okoro in a S&T, although I'd rather keep him than LeVert.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,724

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 2:59 pm

Don’t think it’s happening.

But I’d only do it if it was a Mitchell (if he refuses to extend) or Garland (if Mitchell extends) trade. Split either of the guards trade value to end up with LBJ back home. Garland/Max/LBJ/Mobley/Allen with the extra assets I get - as I do believe Mitchell is worth more than LBJ (not sure if that’s considered controversial but don’t think it should be)

I want to keep Allen/Mobley together for another year or two at least..
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,500

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 3:00 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:If Lebron tells Lakers I'm going to Cleveland no matter what, then they can either do a sign and trade or get nothing

There is no way for Cleveland to realistically get Lebron without LA's help. Oh they could dilute the value of other good players on the team trading them off and using cap space teams to help, but Lebron wouldn't come back to a gutted team.

And Lebron has said repeatedly he's not doing a Duncan/Dirk. That he has an obligation to other stars to always play for a max. So he's not taking the exception.

But he's not demanding a trade to Cleveland.
Spoiler:

He wants Dallas.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Tue May 14, 2024 3:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Spoiler:

He wants Dallas.

Yeah that's what you think, until...

Spoiler:

The Warriors draft Bronny at 52
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 pm

The Lakers with Russell/Reaves/Davis/Allen are actually not a bad team

Texas Chuck wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:If Lebron tells Lakers I'm going to Cleveland no matter what, then they can either do a sign and trade or get nothing

There is no way for Cleveland to realistically get Lebron without LA's help. Oh they could dilute the value of other good players on the team trading them off and using cap space teams to help, but Lebron wouldn't come back to a gutted team.

And Lebron has said repeatedly he's not doing a Duncan/Dirk. That he has an obligation to other stars to always play for a max. So he's not taking the exception.

But he's not demanding a trade to Cleveland.
Spoiler:

He wants Dallas.

This scenario was based on him being willing to sign for MLE if Lakers didn't play ball. But you could be correct that he doesn't want to take non max from a players association perspective.

The Cavs could at least threaten to do it by dumping salaries I guess, if it's just Allen and some other players like LeVert and Strus it's mostly players they'd have dealt in a Lebron trade anyway. Or he could show fake interest in another team.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm

If Cleveland trades Mitchell and Niang, with only rookie contracts etc back using Detroit, can they sign LBJ to like 2yr86-88 or 3yr130 type? It looks like it?
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 14, 2024 3:39 pm

jayjaysee wrote:If Cleveland trades Mitchell and Niang, with only rookie contracts etc back using Detroit, can they sign LBJ to like 2yr86-88 or 3yr130 type? It looks like it?

They need to keep Mitchell as 2nd banana and I think the Cavs giving up Garland for ancient Lebron is too risky, they need to do it in a way that doesn't hurt their future that much if he ends up getting old quickly like 2015 to 2016 Duncan.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 3:44 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:If Cleveland trades Mitchell and Niang, with only rookie contracts etc back using Detroit, can they sign LBJ to like 2yr86-88 or 3yr130 type? It looks like it?

They need to keep Mitchell as 2nd banana

Garland/Mobley/Allen are a nice group around LBJ IMO. Another year of development from Garland and Mobley and hope for health with Allen..

if LAL refused to work with Cleveland or just wanted Mitchell for LBJ etc, Cleveland could do something like

Mitchell+Niang to Brooklyn
Cam Johnson+Dennis to Detroit
“2 Phoenix firsts and a Dallas one” to Cleveland

Or something similar to that? Theres salaries to play with probably..

And taking it further.. once Cleveland is over the cap, they really could combine Caris with one of Allen or Strus and go get another 30-40 million dollar player while staying under the first apron if they wanted.. they’d have Mitchell’s draft pick return…
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 711

Post#11 » by kds92 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:04 pm

It would have to be Garland + filler(s). Mitchell gives them a better chance to win now than Garland. Lakers can basically tell LeBron that's the deal or he can take a massive pay cut to go home.

I think Garland might be worth slightly more than LeBron, but I can't see the Lakers adding value. Maybe a 3rd team like the Pels or Nets would send a little extra value although the Lakers would probably want Ingram or Bridges in that scenario
DowJones
RealGM

Post#12 » by DowJones » Tue May 14, 2024 4:13 pm

toooskies wrote:
DowJones wrote:Allen/LeVert/Niang for LeBron is really the only deal that makes sense. The Lakers get something for LeBron and LeBron goes to a stacked Cleveland team.

Mitchell
Garland
LeBron
Wade
Mobley

If LeBron threatens to leave for nothing, LeVert instead of Allen makes plenty of sense. Although Cleveland probably adds a pick (either 2024 or 2031 1st) to make that happen.

Or Okoro in a S&T, although I'd rather keep him than LeVert.

I am not sure how the Cavs match salaries. I guess it would have to be Strus/LeVert/Niang/Wade/Jerome. The Lakers wouldn't do that deal unless the Cavs offered a 2031 unprotected 1 and that is NOT something the Cavs should do. The fit is also a mess if you keep Allen and stick with the 2 bigs lineup.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#13 » by DowJones » Tue May 14, 2024 4:16 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

They need to keep Mitchell as 2nd banana

Garland/Mobley/Allen are a nice group around LBJ IMO. Another year of development from Garland and Mobley and hope for health with Allen..

if LAL refused to work with Cleveland or just wanted Mitchell for LBJ etc, Cleveland could do something like

Mitchell+Niang to Brooklyn
Cam Johnson+Dennis to Detroit
“2 Phoenix firsts and a Dallas one” to Cleveland

Or something similar to that? Theres salaries to play with probably..

And taking it further.. once Cleveland is over the cap, they really could combine Caris with one of Allen or Strus and go get another 30-40 million dollar player while staying under the first apron if they wanted.. they’d have Mitchell’s draft pick return…

Allen and Mobley are not a good pairing. It would be a disaster and LeBron would be complaining before Christmas. Dean Wade would be the starting 4 if LeBron came back to Cleveland. Furthermore, a world doesn't exist where LeBron forces his way to Cleveland only for the Cavs to trade Mitchell for draft picks.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,725

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm

kds92 wrote:It would have to be Garland + filler(s). Mitchell gives them a better chance to win now than Garland. Lakers can basically tell LeBron that's the deal or he can take a massive pay cut to go home.

I think Garland might be worth slightly more than LeBron, but I can't see the Lakers adding value. Maybe a 3rd team like the Pels or Nets would send a little extra value although the Lakers would probably want Ingram or Bridges in that scenario

People have taken leave of their senses. LBJ will be 40 years old. He wants $100M over 2 years and a NTC. He can walk to Philly, and just might, in which case the Lakers will get exactly what they gave up for him - cap space. There's no scenario where Altman agrees to swap Garland for him. He'll get fired for even bringing it to the owner.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#15 » by DowJones » Tue May 14, 2024 4:27 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Don’t think it’s happening.

But I’d only do it if it was a Mitchell (if he refuses to extend) or Garland (if Mitchell extends) trade. Split either of the guards trade value to end up with LBJ back home. Garland/Max/LBJ/Mobley/Allen with the extra assets I get - as I do believe Mitchell is worth more than LBJ (not sure if that’s considered controversial but don’t think it should be)

Why? We have seen this for 3 years now and I don't know why things would be better in years 4 and 5. Allen will never have more value than he has this year. It is time to really try to upgrade our wings by moving Allen. We can comfortably slide Wade to the 4.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:52 pm

DowJones wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Don’t think it’s happening.

Why? We have seen this for 3 years now and I don't know why things would be better in years 4 and 5. Allen will never have more value than he has this year. It is time to really try to upgrade our wings by moving Allen. We can comfortably slide Wade to the 4.

I mean Allen hasn't played a minute of this series and were down 3-1. How's that working?

Your evidence of it *not working* involves a substantial number of minutes where one, or both of them aren't on the floor. The advanced stats certainly don't back up your claim that it doesn't work. We're better when they both play in the same unit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#17 » by Mr Loggins » Tue May 14, 2024 4:53 pm

I could see Lakers using #17 to draft Bronny - very similar to the heat drafting Nappier in 2014 - then leBron taking off.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,500

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 4:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
kds92 wrote:It would have to be Garland + filler(s). Mitchell gives them a better chance to win now than Garland. Lakers can basically tell LeBron that's the deal or he can take a massive pay cut to go home.

People have taken leave of their senses. LBJ will be 40 years old. He wants $100M over 2 years and a NTC. He can walk to Philly, and just might, in which case the Lakers will get exactly what they gave up for him - cap space. There's no scenario where Altman agrees to swap Garland for him. He'll get fired for even bringing it to the owner.

If I could trade Garland for Lebron, I would do it so fast. Lebron is still a much better player and he solves a bunch of lineup issues. I'm not at all worried that Garland could still be my 4th best player in 3 years when Lebron retires. I want to win championships. This absolutely increases those odds.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If I could trade Garland for Lebron, I would do it so fast. Lebron is still a much better player and he solves a bunch of lineup issues. I'm not at all worried that Garland could still be my 4th best player in 3 years when Lebron retires. I want to win championships. This absolutely increases those odds.

I know you would. Everyone on this website knows you would. But in my judgment, you're way, way too dismissive of the downside risks and way too eager to believe every older star player has a couple of really good seasons left in them.

Also, Garland is not the Cavs 4th best player now and won't be in 3 years.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#20 » by Devilanche » Tue May 14, 2024 5:05 pm

With LeBron already winning a title for Cleveland , I don’t really see coming back home as much of a big draw for him .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

Return to Trades and Transactions