Pels and Kings draft night trade

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,716

Pels and Kings draft night trade 

Post#1 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 11, 2024 2:07 am

I think the Pels don’t have room for 2 number 1 picks and want their choice of centers. Kings have a range of wings whom they will take a swing on.

Draft night.

Kings trade: 13 (Pels center of choice) and 45 Pels draft and stash Europe

Pels trade: 18 Da Silva and 21 big upside wing
hsfolk
Junior
And1: 305

Re: Pels and Kings draft night trade 

Post#2 » by hsfolk » Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 am

Pelicans won't have two first round picks, they're likely deferring the Lakers pick until 2025
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,299

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Sat May 11, 2024 2:32 am

Center of choise means Clingan is available at #13?

I'm confused.

Seems like an overpay for New Orleans to move up 5 spots in the teens.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,332

Post#4 » by SNPA » Sat May 11, 2024 2:41 am

Kings moving back with Pels or Knicks is a possibility. If 13 isn’t on the move for a player then I’d hope Monte took this deal. Get two shots at it and have cost controlled players.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 975

Post#5 » by BuddyBuckets » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 am

I kinda think the Pels would do something like this. Sure they can defer the Lakers pick but are the Lakers definitely worse next year?

Personally I'd be fine with trading 2 for 1 to get in the late lottery.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#6 » by Ell Curry » Sat May 11, 2024 6:15 am

BuddyBuckets wrote:I kinda think the Pels would do something like this. Sure they can defer the Lakers pick but are the Lakers definitely worse next year?

Better draft, LeBron a year older, Lakers don't really have much in the way of players that should improve (maybe Reaves and some bench guys, but how much?) and more importantly AD just played over 62 games for the first time since 2018. I'd be really surprised if they don't defer the draft pick. Like as a Raptors fan, no way they take #17 for Poeltl, but next year's unprotected Lakers pick? I'd take that in a second and I think so would the front office.
Where's the D?
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,716

Post#7 » by Sactowndog » Sat May 11, 2024 6:47 am

Colbinii wrote:Center of choise means Clingan is available at #13?

I'm confused.

Seems like an overpay for New Orleans to move up 5 spots in the teens.

Clingan can’t shoot from outside and has a poor FT%. With Zion wanting to drive I see the Pels wanting a rim protector that can also shoot the 3. Not sure which guy they conclude that person is but it’s not Clingan and good chance won’t last to 17.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 975

Post#8 » by BuddyBuckets » Sat May 11, 2024 7:44 am

Ell Curry wrote:
BuddyBuckets wrote:I kinda think the Pels would do something like this. Sure they can defer the Lakers pick but are the Lakers definitely worse next year?

Better draft, LeBron a year older, Lakers don't really have much in the way of players that should improve (maybe Reaves and some bench guys, but how much?) and more importantly AD just played over 62 games for the first time since 2018. I'd be really surprised if they don't defer the draft pick. Like as a Raptors fan, no way they take #17 for Poeltl, but next year's unprotected Lakers pick? I'd take that in a second and I think so would the front office.

Lakers also had a bad coaching staff that might be fixed. As a Pels fan I know all about AD and his ****. But the Lakers kinda do have a good surrounding cast of guys and you don't know who's gonna get min with them in the off season. Pels might be better off taking the pick now. Could even work as a deal to get Ingram out for a true point guard. Ingram and two mid 1sts is a nice offer
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,174

Post#9 » by OxAndFox » Sat May 11, 2024 1:07 pm

Ell Curry wrote:

I would lean towards this. You get the feeling the Lakers are going to make a big all in trade, but there's no guarantee that works either. Adding to that, there's no guarantee the new coach is even a decent one again.

Personally, if I were the Pelicans I would definitely defer the pick. The upside to what it could produce is just too great.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 374

Post#10 » by Xman » Sat May 11, 2024 1:27 pm

Better yet. NO defers and ships the LAL 2025 first might get higher pick that way.
Maybe Rox send 9 for Lal pick and 21.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,104

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 1:28 pm

Pels are almost certainly deferring that pick. I mean worst case is they wait a year and a get a slightly worse pick. Well worth taking that chance for what might be a lottery pick.

Value seems fine on the trade if the Pels were forced to take the pick and their guy was at 13.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#12 » by Euphonetiks » Sat May 11, 2024 5:05 pm

:D
BuddyBuckets wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

Better draft, LeBron a year older, Lakers don't really have much in the way of players that should improve (maybe Reaves and some bench guys, but how much?) and more importantly AD just played over 62 games for the first time since 2018. I'd be really surprised if they don't defer the draft pick. Like as a Raptors fan, no way they take #17 for Poeltl, but next year's unprotected Lakers pick? I'd take that in a second and I think so would the front office.[/ :) quote]

Lakers also had a bad coaching staff that might be fixed. As a Pels fan I know all about AD and his ****. But the Lakers kinda do have a good surrounding cast of guys and you don't know who's gonna get min with them in the off season. Pels might be better off taking the pick now. Could even work as a deal to get Ingram out for a true point guard. Ingram and two mid 1sts is a nice offer

A late first in this draft is a much worse trade asset than an unprotected 2025. We will absolutely defer. If one of AD/Lebron miss significant time, the Lakers will be in the lottery. A lottery pick in 2025>>>>>>17 in 2024. The west is too good and the supporting cast isn’t carrying them in the absence of Lebron/AD.

As to the coaching, people said the same thing when Ham was brought in a couple years back after their 11th place showing with Vogel when AD/Lebron missed time got the Pels the 8th pick. At some point, you have to stop blaming coaches.

Return to Trades and Transactions